Start by marking “Queen of Ambition” as Want to Read:
Queen of Ambition

Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard #5)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Ursula Blanchard, loyal lady of the Queen's Presence Chamber and gifted sleuth, is at home amid the glittering complexities of the royal court. Now, Ursula has a new part to play in the service of her Queen -- a role that exposes her to hidden dangers in the famed university town of Cambridge.

Assigned as a harbinger for the Queen's upcoming Summer Progress to Cambridge, Ur
Published June 15th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published December 4th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Queen of Ambition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queen of Ambition

Gretchen
3 and a half stars for the fifth novels starring Ursula Blanchard and crew. While this novel wasn't anything spectacular, I felt like it finally sets up the coming books for something good. The whole Elizabeth I vs. Mary Queen of Scots drama is building (we all know how that ends) and Ursula is finally (view spoiler) ...more
Michelle
(3.5 stars) The fifth book in the Ursula Blanchard series follows closely after the 4th in time, with Ursula being sent to Cambridge, ahead of the queen's arrival there, to scope out the surroundings and make sure the preparations are in order. Because of a tip surrounding a mini-play that will be presented to the queen, Ursula goes deep undercover, working as a servant in a pie shop in order to find out more some characters suspected to be involved in a plot against England. The pie shop is own ...more
Valerie K
I really enjoyed this book 5 in the Ursula Blanchard series. Full of surprises. Ursula is such an interesting character, her inner conflicts and how the different parts of her life pull her in different directions really adds to the stories. In this one, the contrasts were especially stark since she was under cover. I'll stop there so I don't give anything away.
Lindsey
I really enjoy the Ursula Blanchard series-they are always an easy read. I enjoy the take on Elizabeth and her court without the tremendous focus on Elizabeth.
Lalla
This book is part of the series featuring Ursula Blanchard as a member of Queen Elizabeth's court who is often asked to work undercover when the Queen's security is in danger. The plot revolves around religious and political scheming as well as giving the reader a view of abusive husbands and what recourse was left to battered wives at this time.
The setting is in Cambridge which is to be a stop on the Queen's summer progress. I enjoyed reading about the area and how the townspeople prepared for
Margaret
I must assume that no one ever took it into their head to explain to Ms. Buckley that the rule of "showing not telling" is an imperative one. This novel could have been riveting if handled well. More of a disappointing realization of potential than a fluff read.
Anita
Pretty good, but not as captivating as some of the other titles in the "Ursula Blanchard" historical mystery series.
However, I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys Elizabethean-era stories. Ursula is an interesting character, as are her two faithful "servants," (more pals than employees, really), but this adventure gives them less exposure than some others.
Still, it is a fun romp through Tudor times - and unlike some historical series, it is easy enough to follow even if British history isn'
Moonmomie
I enjoy Elizabethan Historical Fiction, which is what brought me to this series. I had never been interested in any kind of mysteries up until reading these books. They were a complete surprise to me. The plots in all of the Ursula Blanchard Mysteries are rich and fun, the characters are interesting and complex. I really loved this entire series of books.
Denise
A medieval castle in Wales, young lovers imprisoned in the tower, a spring/winter romance and a foul murder have Ursula Blanchard using all of her skills in another Elizabethan "whodunit" from Fiona Buckley. Add an old woman accused of witchcraft and being locked in a shepherd's hut high in the mountains and you have one of Buckley's best in the series!
Kathie H
Aug 21, 2007 Kathie H rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "Adults"
I love this line: "I was of the temperament that could not win satisfaction from a well-planned Christmas dinner or shelves full of preserves, and if that was wrong, well, it was the way I had been made and those who disliked it had better address their complaints to the Almighty who made me." Spoken by the heroine, Ursula, circa 1556.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
This is a great series set in Queen Elizabeth's court. Buckley takes several real historical mysteries and asks what if... Worth reading for a strong interesting heroine that while sometimes needing rescue is rather good at figuring out her own options given the limited options available to women of the time.
Janet
Okay, there is a major plot shift at the end of the novel, but I don’t want to come right out and say it in case I spoil it for anyone. Let’s just say someone very dear to Ursula ends up dead. This was a rather low-key plot, focusing more on household dramas than High Politics, but it was enjoyable and very engaging.
Duffy
Though I tend to want to read books "in order" enough info is given so that the current book can be enjoyed by itself. One is immediately immersed in the storyline and is learning about the time period while enjoying the story itself.
Julie
There's something about this series I find very satisfying. The characters seem to react like real people and that makes all the difference in the world.
Garden Girl
I liked the historical aspects of the story but the female lead was too modern to be an accurate representation of an Elizabethan woman.
Wynne
This one had a great mystery. another mystery is Ursula herself. I think she is a half sister to Elizabeth II but does not know it.
Kate
Secret rooms & passages, students, and a Plot. The device to get Ursula working in a pie shop is a bit thin but still enjoyable.
Elizabeth
Read this one first...had to go back to the first to get the entire setting. Will likely finish the series this summer!
Monica Willyard
I enjoy the blend of mystery, history, and romance in this series. I liked the plot in this book.
Joe
This series just gets better with each book.
Mystery and History all at once..sweet.
Mikkee
it was an average book. not much more to say.
Jill
Great medieval mystery series.
Auntie J
Jun 22, 2014 Auntie J marked it as to-read-own  ·  review of another edition
5th in the series.
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Jen Welch
Jen Welch marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • A Play of Dux Moraud (Joliffe the Player, #2)
  • Face Down Beneath the Eleanor Cross (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #4)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo ...more
More about Fiona Buckley...

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)
To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1) The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2) Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3) To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4) A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)