Start by marking “Finding Mercie” as Want to Read:
Finding Mercie

Finding Mercie

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  43 reviews

As Hector Lopez runs against the frigid Chicago wind clutching the bleeding girl in his arms, he hopes his ailing heart doesn't fail before he reaches the medical clinic. Even after safely delivering the child and continuing on his way to work, Hector cannot forget the image of the little girl curled up like a rag doll in a small pool of mostly frozen blood. And if he coul

Paperback
Published August 28th 2010 by Covenant Communications, Incorporated (first published June 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Mercie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Mercie

RayDean
Ada
This story follows Hector, who finds a little girl shot and bleeding in a parking lot and in spite of his ill health runs with her to a clinic to save her life. The policemen decide he is the one who shot her because he won't say why he was at that particular spot that morning. His adopted son tells him that he and Consuela are going to have a baby and adds additional sorrow since he won't be going on his mission. Then there is the news from Hector's cancer doctor/girl friend that his cancer is ...more
Jane
Kathryn
Karlene Browning
I had very mixed feelings about this book. First, I liked the basic story line. It was fairly complex, there were multiple subplots happening, murder mysteries, romance, etc. It also had a strong message on forgiveness, which I thought was very good.

The most believable character was Hector Lopez. I thought Yorgason did a great job on him. However the other characters weren't so appealing to me. I felt like they were stereotypes and/or over the top. Several of them also used the same unique phras
Shannon
I thought I might give it more stars, but I really struggled with the stereotyping in the book. I guess because I know so few people like that, I had a hard time believing an intelligent officer would let his prejudice go that far. The idea of finding mercy for our sins, though, was well done. I like that Hector feels bad for all of them, even what most of us would shrug off. As a character, he made me think more of what kind of person I want to be. The whole ending, though, with Mercie was also ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Oh my heck, 143 chapters I had to wade through. And the small print! Then there's the story filled with stereotypes and lots of repeating messagages-don't judge your fellow man, girls who dress immodestly just to catch a boyfriend should consider other options, and by page 58 I get so ver' tired of Hector's accent I must skip to chapter 95 before I go muy loco!
Reader be warned-this book is a heavy read! If this is your first Yorgason title do yourself a favor and pick up "Charlie's Monument" or
Lisa
Cute book. Very religious.
Terrie
I enjoyed this book and it made me do quite a bit of introspection on three facets contained in the book. 1) My relationship with my Savior; 2) racial profiling, and 3) forgiveness. The book is definitely loaded with LDS doctrine even though it is a novel. I probably would have given it 4 stars but I felt the ending was too unrealistic.

**SPOILER**

I also felt the author glossed over the trauma and behavioral issues Mercie would have exhibited from having seen her mother murdered. However, I do be
Sheila
I had a hard time deciding whether or not to give this book 3 or 4 stars. It was a very good
story with great messages. Occasionally it gets a little preachy, but with an open heart and
mind, you will feel the goodness in the words and scriptures being quoted. This book has a very strong LDS based story, but it is a very enjoyable read. For those who said they could not get through the story, I encourage you to go back and give it another try. You will not be disappointed in the end.
Julie
Feb 06, 2011 Julie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
I should have listened to the reviews on this one, but sometimes I like books that don't get the best reviews. This was one of the longest most rambliest book I've ever read. It reminded me of a rich persons garage sale where they think too much of their crap! Only this time he thought too much of his words. It would have been an Ok story with about half the pages and normal (not tiny) print. I almost quit several times. I'm not sure why I didn't.
LuAnn
Sometimes I really loved this book; other times I was frustrated by it. The story took so long to unfold and much of it was too coincidental, yet there were moments when I found myself swept up by the story, wanting to know more. I liked the characters, but wanted the events to unfold a little more quickly and with more clarity. Sometimes I had to reread passages to find the critical details I was sure I had missed.
Janet Jensen
I lived in Chicago 3 yrs and attended the old Logan Square Ward so Finding Mercie felt like coming home. The story is well-plotted/organized but somewhat wordy and slow-moving. I felt the ending was tied up rather too neatly in a nice big bow. Definitely a book with Christian values and flawed but likeable characters, for the most part.
Lorraine
one of the best books i have read lately. well written and double meaning title - finding mercie, a little girl badly wounded with no one looking for her - and finding mercy - a story of forgiveness and redemption. good story line, although pretty easy to determine how it will end. but that is ok! it is good to have happy endings.
Jodee Clark
This was a good book about the power of telling the truth, forgiveness, repentance and being a good person. Forgiveness has a power to change people.

I enjoyed the story but was ready for it to end about 3 chapters before it did.

It all wrapped up very nicely (almost too perfectly.)

Overall an enjoyable read.
Kristine
Not sure if this is an accurate rating--I was so busy that I had to keep reading in little tiny bits, and it kind of ruined the flow for me. Good story, though--and may I just implore my friends NOT TO READ THE ENDING FIRST!! It makes up for everything--and will just wreck it if you don't wait until the end!
Amy
I did not like this book. It was painful to read. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I think my mom really liked it so that is why I didn't give up on it. There was a blatant overuse of the word "darling". I didn't like any of the characters. I didn't like the story. I do not recommend this book.
Margene Edwards
MaRGENE WROTE: I liked this book a lot. Of course I think it was a little slow in some areas, but overall it was good, lEFT me with the good feeling I like with all his books. I would recommend this book for all ages. (Plus I know the author and he told us how hard he worked on this book).
Susan
Mercie is, of course, Mercy. Good story of repentance and Mercy. I found it a little heavy and preachy. I prefer to find my preaching in small doses or illustrated by action. This does that but then brings a heavy hand in specifically preaching as well. Recommend it as the point is important.
K.C.
Very touching story. My interest was held throughout the book (though I could kind of tell where it was going--probably the writer in me) and I enjoyed the characters. Though the ending is redeeming, a little sad for those wanting a "pick me up" right away.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This book had a really slow start for me. I'm glad I didn't give up on it though because it was a heart warming story, one that reminds you to keep the faith even when things seem at their worst.
Swhe641200
10/12 WBG This was a very thoughtful book on what true love is for your fellowman. It is about selfullness, faith, forgivness, prejuice, and soul seaching. It was a good book and I enjoyed it.
Ann
touching, intriguing, and uplifting. first few pages were a bit slow, but after that, the story was engrossing. great message of family, hope, faith, forgiveness, and love
Penny
It reminded me why I don't read LDS fiction any more. It was preachy and the characters would feel huge amounts of guilt for little things and make themselves miserable.
Tamara Hart
Couldn't get into this book. I found 3 of the 4 POVs really boring and started skipping. This eventually led to me putting the book down when there were about 100 pages left.
Sherilyn
I really liked the beginning of this book and the story. But the further I got into it the more I just wanted it to end. It got to preachy, too wordy, and kind of depressing.
Debbie
I really liked this book. Blaine Yorgason is a very good author. His story kept my interest. I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep.
Katie
Oct 02, 2010 Katie added it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I really wanted to read this book, but after reading the first 30 or so pages I still couldn't get into it. I like to be sucked in way before that.
Karen
This was an easy read, but showed part of the Hispanic Culture that I enjoyed seeing. Cute story set with LDS standards.
I read this in one night. I found the story interesting but was slightly annoyed by the way a lot of the charachters talked.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Meg's Melody
  • The Last Waltz
  • The Fourth Nephite (The Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • Cold as Ice
  • Taking Chances (Alpine, #2)
  • Imprints (Autumn Rain, #1)
  • Escape To Zion
  • Blink of An Eye
  • Tower of Strength
  • To Have or to Hold
  • Luck of the Draw
  • My Fairy Grandmother
  • Of Pigs, Pearls, and Prodigals: A Fresh Look At the Parables of Jesus
  • Murder By The Way (Kennedy Killingsworth, #3)
  • Loved Like That
  • Rise of the Earth Dragon (Dragon Masters #1)
  • Angels: Agents of Light, Love, and Power
  • A Far, Far Better Place (The Dickens Inn, #2)
Blaine M. Yorgason was born in Sanpete County, Utah. He attended Brigham Young University and received both a BA and MA in History. Blaine and his wife Kathleen have 7 children and numerous grandchildren.
More about Blaine M. Yorgason...
Charlie's Monument One Tattered Angel: A Touching True Story of the Power of Love The Bishop's Horse Race (The Soderberg Saga, #2) The Windwalker Chester, I Love You