Start by marking “Finding Mercie” as Want to Read:
Finding Mercie

Finding Mercie

As Hector Lopez runs against the frigid Chicago wind clutching the bleeding girl in his arms, he hopes his ailing heart doesn't fail before he reaches the medical clinic. Even after safely delivering the child and continuing on his way to work, Hector cannot forget the image of the little girl curled up like a rag doll in a small pool of mostly frozen blood. And if he coul

Paperback
Published August 28th 2010 by Covenant Communications, Incorporated (first published June 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Mercie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Mercie

RayDean
Aug 30, 2010 RayDean rated it really liked it
Ada
May 31, 2011 Ada rated it liked it
This story follows Hector, who finds a little girl shot and bleeding in a parking lot and in spite of his ill health runs with her to a clinic to save her life. The policemen decide he is the one who shot her because he won't say why he was at that particular spot that morning. His adopted son tells him that he and Consuela are going to have a baby and adds additional sorrow since he won't be going on his mission. Then there is the news from Hector's cancer doctor/girl friend that his cancer is ...more
Kathryn
Sep 26, 2010 Kathryn rated it liked it
Jane
Mar 18, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: whitneys-2010
Karlene Browning
Mar 09, 2011 Karlene Browning rated it liked it
I had very mixed feelings about this book. First, I liked the basic story line. It was fairly complex, there were multiple subplots happening, murder mysteries, romance, etc. It also had a strong message on forgiveness, which I thought was very good.

The most believable character was Hector Lopez. I thought Yorgason did a great job on him. However the other characters weren't so appealing to me. I felt like they were stereotypes and/or over the top. Several of them also used the same unique phras
Shannon
Apr 22, 2013 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds-fiction
I thought I might give it more stars, but I really struggled with the stereotyping in the book. I guess because I know so few people like that, I had a hard time believing an intelligent officer would let his prejudice go that far. The idea of finding mercy for our sins, though, was well done. I like that Hector feels bad for all of them, even what most of us would shrug off. As a character, he made me think more of what kind of person I want to be. The whole ending, though, with Mercie was also ...more
Michelle Llewellyn
Jan 21, 2011 Michelle Llewellyn rated it did not like it
Oh my heck, 143 chapters I had to wade through. And the small print! Then there's the story filled with stereotypes and lots of repeating messagages-don't judge your fellow man, girls who dress immodestly just to catch a boyfriend should consider other options, and by page 58 I get so ver' tired of Hector's accent I must skip to chapter 95 before I go muy loco!
Reader be warned-this book is a heavy read! If this is your first Yorgason title do yourself a favor and pick up "Charlie's Monument" or
Terrie
Jan 01, 2011 Terrie rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and it made me do quite a bit of introspection on three facets contained in the book. 1) My relationship with my Savior; 2) racial profiling, and 3) forgiveness. The book is definitely loaded with LDS doctrine even though it is a novel. I probably would have given it 4 stars but I felt the ending was too unrealistic.

**SPOILER**

I also felt the author glossed over the trauma and behavioral issues Mercie would have exhibited from having seen her mother murdered. However, I do be
LuAnn
Mar 05, 2011 LuAnn rated it liked it
Sometimes I really loved this book; other times I was frustrated by it. The story took so long to unfold and much of it was too coincidental, yet there were moments when I found myself swept up by the story, wanting to know more. I liked the characters, but wanted the events to unfold a little more quickly and with more clarity. Sometimes I had to reread passages to find the critical details I was sure I had missed.
Sheila
Jan 06, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
I had a hard time deciding whether or not to give this book 3 or 4 stars. It was a very good
story with great messages. Occasionally it gets a little preachy, but with an open heart and
mind, you will feel the goodness in the words and scriptures being quoted. This book has a very strong LDS based story, but it is a very enjoyable read. For those who said they could not get through the story, I encourage you to go back and give it another try. You will not be disappointed in the end.
Julie
Sep 17, 2010 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: lds
I should have listened to the reviews on this one, but sometimes I like books that don't get the best reviews. This was one of the longest most rambliest book I've ever read. It reminded me of a rich persons garage sale where they think too much of their crap! Only this time he thought too much of his words. It would have been an Ok story with about half the pages and normal (not tiny) print. I almost quit several times. I'm not sure why I didn't.
Lorraine
Apr 14, 2011 Lorraine rated it really liked it
one of the best books i have read lately. well written and double meaning title - finding mercie, a little girl badly wounded with no one looking for her - and finding mercy - a story of forgiveness and redemption. good story line, although pretty easy to determine how it will end. but that is ok! it is good to have happy endings.
Jodee Clark
Aug 26, 2010 Jodee Clark rated it really liked it
This was a good book about the power of telling the truth, forgiveness, repentance and being a good person. Forgiveness has a power to change people.

I enjoyed the story but was ready for it to end about 3 chapters before it did.

It all wrapped up very nicely (almost too perfectly.)

Overall an enjoyable read.
Amy
Jun 30, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it
I did not like this book. It was painful to read. I couldn't wait for it to be over. I think my mom really liked it so that is why I didn't give up on it. There was a blatant overuse of the word "darling". I didn't like any of the characters. I didn't like the story. I do not recommend this book.
Janet Jensen
Feb 22, 2011 Janet Jensen rated it liked it
I lived in Chicago 3 yrs and attended the old Logan Square Ward so Finding Mercie felt like coming home. The story is well-plotted/organized but somewhat wordy and slow-moving. I felt the ending was tied up rather too neatly in a nice big bow. Definitely a book with Christian values and flawed but likeable characters, for the most part.
Betty Ann Baer
This book puts a lot of incite as to how we need to repent and the little mistakes that we make. A man finds a child that has a gunshot wound and rushes her to the hospital. He has lots of secrets and has kept a lot of things from others.
Through the book repentance and feeling sorrow and knowing the Lord has forgiven you is a message through out the book.
Kristine
Dec 27, 2010 Kristine rated it liked it
Not sure if this is an accurate rating--I was so busy that I had to keep reading in little tiny bits, and it kind of ruined the flow for me. Good story, though--and may I just implore my friends NOT TO READ THE ENDING FIRST!! It makes up for everything--and will just wreck it if you don't wait until the end!
Susan
Aug 01, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Mercie is, of course, Mercy. Good story of repentance and Mercy. I found it a little heavy and preachy. I prefer to find my preaching in small doses or illustrated by action. This does that but then brings a heavy hand in specifically preaching as well. Recommend it as the point is important.
Margene Edwards
Sep 29, 2010 Margene Edwards rated it really liked it
MaRGENE WROTE: I liked this book a lot. Of course I think it was a little slow in some areas, but overall it was good, lEFT me with the good feeling I like with all his books. I would recommend this book for all ages. (Plus I know the author and he told us how hard he worked on this book).
K.C.
Oct 18, 2010 K.C. rated it liked it
Very touching story. My interest was held throughout the book (though I could kind of tell where it was going--probably the writer in me) and I enjoyed the characters. Though the ending is redeeming, a little sad for those wanting a "pick me up" right away.
Debbie
Aug 20, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. Blaine Yorgason is a very good author. His story kept my interest. I had a hard time putting it down to go to sleep.
Penny
Apr 06, 2011 Penny rated it it was ok
It reminded me why I don't read LDS fiction any more. It was preachy and the characters would feel huge amounts of guilt for little things and make themselves miserable.
Sherilyn
Oct 18, 2010 Sherilyn rated it liked it
I really liked the beginning of this book and the story. But the further I got into it the more I just wanted it to end. It got to preachy, too wordy, and kind of depressing.
Aug 26, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this in one night. I found the story interesting but was slightly annoyed by the way a lot of the charachters talked.
Heather
Sep 21, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Pretty fast paced, but I felt it could have been shorter. Still a good read.
Karen
Aug 22, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it
This was an easy read, but showed part of the Hispanic Culture that I enjoyed seeing. Cute story set with LDS standards.
Coral
Jan 22, 2013 Coral rated it liked it
My favorite part was the author's note at the end.
Tamara Hart
Feb 01, 2011 Tamara Hart rated it it was ok
Couldn't get into this book. I found 3 of the 4 POVs really boring and started skipping. This eventually led to me putting the book down when there were about 100 pages left.
Katie
Sep 21, 2010 Katie rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I really wanted to read this book, but after reading the first 30 or so pages I still couldn't get into it. I like to be sucked in way before that.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This book had a really slow start for me. I'm glad I didn't give up on it though because it was a heart warming story, one that reminds you to keep the faith even when things seem at their worst.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Meg's Melody
  • The Last Waltz
  • Beneath The Surface: A Novel
  • The Fourth Nephite (The Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • Cold as Ice
  • Taking Chances (Alpine, #2)
  • Imprints (Autumn Rain, #1)
  • Blink of An Eye
  • Written on Our Hearts
  • Carving Angels
  • The Word of Wisdom: Discovering the LDS Code of Health
  • Living Your Covenants Every Day
Blaine M. Yorgason was born in Sanpete County, Utah. He attended Brigham Young University and received both a BA and MA in History. Blaine and his wife Kathleen have 7 children and numerous grandchildren.
More about Blaine M. Yorgason...