Start by marking “In the Frame” as Want to Read:
In the Frame

In the Frame

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  1,945 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Charles Todd—a renowned painter of horses—is shocked when he turns up at his cousin Donald’s house for a weekend visit to find his cousin’s young wife dead on the floor—and Donald the police’s prime suspect. Determined to prove Donald’s innocence, Todd trails a set of clues from England to Australia to New Zealand, only to realize that someone is trailing him. Someone with ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Berkley (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about In the Frame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Frame

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Birth of Venus by Sarah DunantThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeThe Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
Art & Artists in Fiction
107th out of 419 books — 680 voters
Sleeping Murder by Agatha ChristieElephants Can Remember by Agatha ChristieThe Cater Street Hangman by Anne PerryA Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis PetersAn Unsuitable Job for a Woman by P.D. James
Best Mysteries from the 1970s
21st out of 67 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Algernon

I stood on the outside of disaster, looking in.

Sometimes you know right from the opening phrase that you're in for a treat and that you will probably abandon all other pursuits around the house until you turn the last page of the latest Dick Francis thriller. As I've already read about two dozen of his books, this isn't really a surprise, and what others may call predictable and repetitive in his characterization and plotting I call reliable, dependable and comfortably familiar.

But Francis doe
Anachronist

Synopsis

When Charles Todd visits his cousin, Donald, he lands unexpectedly right in the middle of a major crisis: a burgled house, Donald's young wife, Regina, brutally murdered, Donald himself prostrated by grief, almost at his wit's end. What's even worse the police inspector instead of looking for a murderer starts accusing Donald of orchestrating the whole burglary to profit financially from it and help his ailing firm. Charles is outraged by their approach but what can be done? Especially
Harry
What is there to say about Dick Francis? As I think about all of his books (yes, this review covers all of his books, and yes I've read them all) I think about a moral ethical hero, steeped in intelligence and goodness embroiled in evil machinations within British horse racing society - either directly or indirectly. The heroes aren't always horse jockies, they can be film producers, or involve heroes engaged in peripheral professions that somehow always touch the horse racing world.

But more tha
Cindy
Charles Todd is a painter, mostly of horses. He goes to visit his cousin only to find that their house has just been burgled and his cousin's wife murdered. Charles stays with his cousin, trying to help him deal with insurance, police, the clean up. But as time passes, it becomes clear that the investigation is stalled and his cousin is falling into a deep depression. Charles decided to take matters into his own hands and follows the clues to Australia.

Like all Dick Francis books, the pace moves
Contrarius
This Francis book opens with a tragedy, and throughout the book it contains more explorations of emotion than I think most Francis books do. The main character is once again in the "unassuming but successful mostly-loner everyman" mode, but there appears to be more focus on his social interactions (with his cousin, best friend, best friends wife, new friend) than in many other books in the series. This book reads very cinematically, and in fact it was remade into a TV movie in 1989.

As usual, the
Kit Ehrman
This book changed my life. I discovered it in 1977, quit the government job I was working at the time, and went to work in the horse industry so I could experience the horse world firsthand. I worked with and owned horses for 25 years, all because of this book.
Tasha
Feb 08, 2013 Tasha added it
Shelves: art, mystery
Another really great mystery from Dick Francis!
MaryLou Pearce
Any Dick Francis book gets five stars from me.
Tiina
The book starts out with a huge bang - the main character finds his cousin in the aftermath of a burglary and the body of the cousin's wife in the library. Events take him all the way to Australia and New Zealand, and this is really a fast-paced story. So thrilling!

I saw from my note that I'd last read this almost exactly 10 years ago, but I remembered practically nothing of the story. Great! ! ! I love Dick Francis books and there aren't going to be any more of them, so thank heavens for my poo
Sue
Charles Todd shows up at his cousin's house in England for a visit only to find his cousin, Donald, in a state of shock and Donald's wife dead of blunt force trauma to the head. Donald's wife had come home to find a burglary in progress and was brutally killed for that discovery. Charles stayed with Donald for several days but ultimately returned home to London at Donald's urging. Soon after, while at the races, Charles meets a woman who wants to commission him to do a painting of the remains o ...more
Stephanie
I always turn to a Dick Francis novel, when I need a break from the latest writing styles of today. Francis always turns out to be a refreshingly sweet breeze from the past, full of old-fashioned manners, lifestyles, and attitudes, and isn't it nice to go there once in a while, for a short stay? Even if it's in a short novel such as this.
In the Frame is a novel about a painter, instead of the usual jockey, which was a nice change of pace. Francis makes sure to write, in the beginning of the book
Sally
A gruesome beginning with an artist arriving for a visit with his cousin and discovering the cousin in shock and his cousin's wife murdered. Francis has a great sense of detail which serves the artist well since he is able to sketch the bad guys and recognize the art copies which are used as part of a robbery ring, Most of the novel is set in Australia and the geography is well used as the hero and his friends try to escape the thugs.
Eva
Charles Todd arrives at his cousin's house to discover that it has been burgled of antiques, 2000 bottles of fine wine, and his cousin's wife has been murdered. The police are convinced his cousin arranged the theft and murder because of the wine. The thieves must have known to bring wine boxes and to have had the time to pack it all up.

Todd paints racehorses for a living. At the track to meet a client, he is introduced to a woman who has also had a recent burglary. He discovers that the woman a
M. A. P.
My first Dick Francis mystery novel, and while I did enjoy it while reading it, it did not leave much of an impression on me. If anyone ever asked me to recommend a book to them, I could answer with confidence that In the Frame would never be among the works to pop into my mind. Hence, I'd say it is only an ok read. Not a bad book, enjoyable while it lasts, then easy to forget until something reminds you of it again.
Louise
I always enjoy Dick Francis' books, especially the earlier ones.

In this one, artist Dick (oh, sorry, Charles Todd) turns up for a visit with his cousin Donald, only to find the place crawling with press and police. The house has been thoroughly burgled, and Donald's wife Regina has been murdered with Donald being the prime suspect.

A chance meeting with Maisie, whose house recently burned down, leads Charles on a trip to Australia and New Zealand to see if he can uncover an organised crime ring.
Linda
Charles Todd, planning to spend the weekend with his cousin Donald Stuart, walks in on a burglary gone wrong and the murder of Stuart’s wife. Charles, a painter of horses, is interested in a painting that Donald has just brought home from Australia. The coincidence of another horse lover who has been in Australia and bought a painting which is stolen when she arrives home leads Charles to visit a friend in Australia, where they uncover an art fraud scheme. This book has all the earmarks of a Fr ...more
Michael
Dick Fracis books are always a bit predictable but even though I realized that I had read it before after the first few pages I had to finish it.
Leonard
This is a very fine novel by Dick Francis whose books are usually about people who like horses. The main character in this book is a painter of horses who finds himself wrapped up in a mystery that involves horse paintings, antiques, large thefts, murder, and trips to Australia and New Zealand. My fifth grade grandson is reading at a 10th or higher grade level and it's difficult to find material at that level appropriate for a ten year old. This might be one author who would be acceptable. Of co ...more
Betty
This is my first Dick Francis book. Didn't realize he wrote thrillers. It won't be my last, that's for sure. Very good.
False Millennium
This particular Dick Francis novel had alluded me. Now I have read all of his work(s) and mourn his loss again. His son is attempting to carry on the mystery history, but it is not the same. If Felix Francis had been at this book, he would have spent an inordinate amount of time analyzing the chemical compounds of paint, or how to stretch a canvas or how to detect forgeries in fine art. His father focuses on character and writes such succinct sentences. I do miss him. I read this particular book ...more
Ralph Estes
Only passable. Don't understand Francis's popularity.
Melissa Fowler
Dick Francis's books are consistently good. This is no exception.
Jennifer Brown
Very enjoyable!!
Lorraine
Charles Todd is a painter of race horses. He goes to visit his cousin one weekend, and finds his cousin in shock after his house is robbed and his young wife is murdered. Charles meets a middle-aged woman who's house was burned down. He discovered that both his cousin and the woman had been to Australia, and both had bought a painting while there. Charles travels to Australia to investigate further, and ends up in danger.
Susan
When Donald's wife is killed in a burglary, the police regard him as a suspect. Watching his cousin sink into grief and despair, painter Charles feels helpless--until a chance meeting with another crime victim gives him a link between the two cases: both had recently visited Australia. He goes to Australia to find out what's going on, and discovers more danger than he reckoned on. Not much about horses, though.
Barbara Robarts
Mar 10, 2012 Barbara Robarts rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of language, horse lovers, suspense lovers
Recommended to Barbara by: Reader's Digest Condensed Books
Shelves: favorite-books
I enjoy anything written by Dick Francis. Not only are the stories exciting and often involve horse racing, but even more I enjoy his writing style and way with words. He is a master of language. I will often re-read a sentence or phrase simply because it is expressed so well.

Books written with his son have much the same exciting stories but lack the beauty of language. Reading them is disappointing.
LJ
IN THE FRAME - VG+
Francis, Dick - 15th book

Charles Todd makes a living as a painter of horses. However someone is making a fortune forging paintings by the masters and then selling them to people who usually end up dead. Charles arrives in Australia to investigate and is immediately on the trail of the fraudsters.

I the theme of paintings and frauds and the setting in Australia.
Peregrina651
Enjoyed it, as always. This is one DF where the racing world is only tangential to the story. I think that what I loved best about the vintage DF stories is the glimpse back into history that they provide, particularly when it comes to the minutiae of life. No cell phone, no security checks in airports, being able to check in to hotels or buy plane tickets under a false name, etc.
Fredrick Danysh
Charles Todd is an English artist who goes for a racing holiday at his cousin's. Upon arrival, he learns that the house has been robbed and the cousin's wife murdered. He meets up with a widow at the races who house was burned while she was away. Her insured valuablres were not in the rubble. There is an Australian connection which Todd investigates.
Gretchen
The world of art and horse racing--again the hero has to solve the mystery--I like the fact that the hero is just a person who likes to go to races--not each novel solved by the same person. I had to give up on Kinsey Milhone is Grafton's novels as I began to think-read 1 read them all--never the case in Dick Francis.
  • Dick Francis's Bloodline
  • Talking God (Navajo Mysteries, #9)
  • Total Access: A Journey to the Center of the NFL Universe
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • The Mother Hunt (Nero Wolfe #38)
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • At Risk (Steve Cline, #1)
  • Landfall
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Quick Red Fox (Travis McGee #4)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet
  • Mercy
  • Monk's Hood (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #3)
  • The Deer Leap (Richard Jury, #6)
  • A Nun in the Closet
  • The Ten Commandments: The Significance of God's Laws in Everyday Life
  • Guardian Angel (V.I. Warshawski, #7)
Dick Francis CBE (born Richard Stanley Francis) was a popular British horse racing crime writer and retired jockey.

Series:
* Sid Halley Mystery
* Kit Fielding Mystery
More about Dick Francis...
To the Hilt Dead Heat Whip Hand (Sid Halley, #2) Proof Bolt (Kit Fielding, #2)