Start by marking “The Ladybug and Other Insects” as Want to Read:
The Ladybug and Other Insects

The Ladybug and Other Insects (First Discovery)

Explores the life cycle of the ladybug and the world of insects, on spiral-bound transparent pages.
Published October 1st 1991 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Ladybug and Other Insects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ladybug and Other Insects

Savanna
Mar 13, 2013 Savanna rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfic, kid-lit
Summary: This book is about the life of Ladybugs or of Ladybird Beetles. It describes how they are born, mature, what they eat, and what they look like.

I think that this book was very interesting. I didn't know half of the things about ladybugs that I learned while reading this book. It is a great educational tool.

Nonfiction

WARNING: this book does talk about mating and has a picture of a male and female ladybug with one on top of the other.
Brielle McKenna
Sep 01, 2016 Brielle McKenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng350
This was a very information nonfiction book. In very simple terms, this book will take students through the various body parts, motions, and aspects of a lady bug. In addition to that, there are also a few other insects pictured and listed in the back of the book.

When I first picked up this book, I figured, "I already know what I need to know about ladybugs." However, this book was very informative. I liked the illustrations and transparent pages in the book.

I would use this book in my classroo
Natalie
Mar 07, 2016 Natalie rated it liked it
This book is about a ladybug, also known as a ladybird beetle. It is an insect and has six legs. The most well known ladybug is red with black spots. Although there are many kinds of ladybugs which come in different colors. Also mentioned is how when hatched from their eggs out comes a larva which eats and eats until it attaches to a leaf and becomes a pupa. After the ladybug pushes out of its shell and is yellow. It then turns red with black spots once it dries. I thought this was a great book ...more
Kennedy
Feb 21, 2016 Kennedy added it
Shelves: children-s-lit
"The Ladybug and Other Insects" is a really basic informational book on mostly ladybugs but it has basic information on other bugs as well. The book covers the life cycle of a ladybug, what they eat and how they interact with other species. The illustrations are really realistic and the transparent pages are a cool addition. I feel like this would be very useful for a teacher to use when they teach their students about bugs. Ladybugs are insects that typically everyone likes so the kids may not ...more
Cassie Houck
Mar 31, 2016 Cassie Houck rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book is all about ladybugs and how they look, fly, are made, and how they interact with the world around them.

I loved this book for its illustrations. It has transparent pages which just add a lot to the whole book. It allows the reader to see not only one side of the picture but both sides.

I would have this book in my library for my students to explore. Also would come in handy if we do an insect lesson.
Carly
Mar 31, 2016 Carly rated it really liked it
This book literally blew my mind. I just learned so many facts about Ladybugs from a small children's book. I did not know that Ladybugs create cocoons just like butterflys do! I would definitely read this book to younger elementary children. It has great pictures and some of the pages are see through to make a cool effect. I think that this is a great book for children who want to go outside and explore the world around them.
Dolly
May 30, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Short, simple book about ladybugs with big, colorful pictures. This is a great nonfiction book that explains about these helpful critters without being boring or overwhelming with details. Includes some information about other insects, but focuses mainly on ladybugs. Good book to read with younger children.
Heather
A nice discussion of ladybugs and beetles. Great transparent flaps. There is one picture of a male and female ladybug making babies, which was awkward to explain, but other than that a fun books for the littles.
Trista
Sep 13, 2009 Trista rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fantastic non-fiction book with transparent overlay pages. The book provides good descriptions of the ladybug and its characteristics.
ABC
Sep 05, 2009 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
This nice book shows various views of a the ladybug. It explains what an insect is and other interesting things.
Quintin Bostic
Another great informative book from scholastic once again. Great read for the science area in the classroom, or when introducing bugs and insects to children.
Sawyer
Sawyer rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Cheryl
Apr 03, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Kind of dry writing although interesting information.
Nell Adams
Nell Adams rated it it was ok
Jul 16, 2015
Naomi
Naomi rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Sharon Nakagawa
Sharon Nakagawa rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2010
Mkbiddy
Mkbiddy rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Cws
Jun 30, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jenf
JENF-DeB
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Valarie
Valarie rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
AliVakama
AliVakama rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2008
Alice Chen
Alice Chen rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2010
Samuel
Samuel rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Lilly
Lilly rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2014
Anny
Anny rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Landon
Landon rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Kerry Liszka
Kerry Liszka rated it liked it
May 26, 2016

First Discovery (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Musical Instruments
  • Whales (First Discovery Books)
  • The Human Body [With Transparent Pages] (Scholastic First Discovery)
  • Butterflies
  • Scholastic First Discovery: The Universe
  • Penguins First Discovery
  • Turtles & Snails
  • Dogs
  • Animals (A First Discovery Book)
  • Colour