Start by marking “The Night Killer (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #8)” as Want to Read:
The Night Killer (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #8)

The Night Killer (Diane Fallon #8)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Forensic investigator Diane Fallon fights for her life in her eighth mystery

Diane is driving through a downpour on a windy mountain road after picking up a set of rare Indian artifacts when a tree suddenly slams across the hood of her car, revealing a human skeleton in its hollow trunk. As she starts to investigate, she's ambushed by a stranger and forced to run for her
Published (first published April 6th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Killer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Killer

Jen
I'm fond of the Diane Fallon forensic anthropologist mysteries - and this one has some very nice bits. However, I felt in places like the plot was reaching a bit too much. However, I really enjoyed parts of it, and there are some lovely character moments throughout.
Jan
I love this series. Dr. Diane Fallon is an extremely interesting character. She is the director of a small museum in Georgia and the head of the county's crime scene investigation unit. The combination of the two make for some very interesting situations.
Forensic archeologist Diane Fallon is driving home on a winding mountain road in heavy rain when a tree suddenly hits the hood of her car, revealing the skeleton hidden within its hollow trunk.

As she gets out her car for a closer look, a strange man tries to grab her and she runs for her life into the woods ... she seeks refuge further up the mountain road with friends but makes another startling discovery, they have been murdered in the few short hours since she left them.

What begins as a terri
Samantha
No messing about in Beverly Connor's books on page 5 we have a skeleton by page 20 we have 2 more murder victims. As one review I read on goodreads (sorry can't remember the name) said the Fallon series is always a bit of a personal crusade pitting Diane against the "hicks" of local law enforcement but this instalment was even more so, however, I much prefer the parts of the story that concentrate on Diane's team working to put the pieces of a mystery together. That for me is when the story come ...more
Christy
Forensic anthropologist Dr. Diane Fallon, director of the RiverTrail Museum of Natural History and the Rosewood, GA crime lab, is returning from a trip to the mountains of Rendell County, Georgia where she arranged for the loan of an arrowhead collection from Roy Barre. Diane’s SUV is struck by a tree during a storm and a skeleton rolls across the hood of her car. Unsettled by this, Diane gets out of her vehicle and is accosted by a stranger. She escapes into the forest, pursued by the stranger’ ...more
Susan
Forensic investigator Diane Fallon is driving through a downpour on a mountain road after picking up a set of Indian artifacts when a tree suddenly slams across the hood of her car, revealing a human skeleton in its hollow trunk. As she starts to investigate, she's ambushed by a nasty stranger and forced to run for her life. Stranded in the night, with dogs tracking her, she encounters a mysterious man who helps. Then just when she comes upon a dwelling and feels finally safe, she discovers the ...more
Kathleen
good enough to try another by this author. Not of 5 star quality yet though where you can hardly wait to read another of this authors.
Deedee
Fabulous! Could not put the book down. Recommend.
Kathryn
Round and round she goes, who the killer is, nobody knows. Well, actually Beverly Connor is very good at wrapping everything up. The plot takes many twists and turns leaving you constantly guessing as to the identity of the killer and the reasons behind the murders. If you pay attention and work at it a bit you should be able to figure out who did it and why. A very fast paced enjoyable mystery.
Marja McGraw
I'm currently reading this one, but I've read others in the series already. I thoroughly enjoy the Diane Fallon series. It can be a little graphic from time to time, but the author doesn't belabor the violence and consequences. This is a forensic investigation series and the stories are intriguing.

Very well-written, and I've started reading another series by this author, too.
April
Although I enjoyed this book, I saw the twist coming way in advance. I really liked the characters in the book and liked the new character that was introduced to the gang. I really love this series, and I know there is only one book left. I hope it's not the conclusion, because I'm not ready for it to end yet.
Nicole
Found this book at an auction, going into the book i hadn't realized it was a "series." However, besides a few mentions to previous events, it read fine without having read the others. The book was so fascinating that I almost immediately ordered the first and second book.
Shirley
Loved it. Like Diane Fallon character, and though I guessed the guilty party fairly early, still found it a really good read. Couple planning to donate arrowheads to museum mysteriously found dead; more deaths follow.
Mary Beth
May 03, 2010 Mary Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grace
Shelves: mystery
Well. I really enjoyed this one! This is a real page turner right from the get go. It starts off with a car accident in a rain storm and just keeps you on the edge of your seat. I couldn't put it down.
Linda
I really like this series, but sometimes it gets a bit fantastical. This is the 8th in the series; I'm about to start #9 and I can't help but wonder if Diane will finally use up all her lives!
Wendy
Really I just wanted this book to be over. It seemed like it could have been a good book but I did not care for the writting. Damn my disorder where I need to finish every book I start. :S
Kay
Enjoyable middle-of-the-road mystery, just right for this busy time of year. I will probably read the rest in the series, kindly loaned to me by a friend.
Tracy
Another amazing book by Beverly. This is definitely one of my favorites - full of twists and turns that left me breathless to the very end.
Kathy
Very good mystery. I did not figure it out at all..Never saw it coming..My favorite way for a book..Great writing and I did enjoy the whole book...
Meghan
It was a good story, I like the characters, and even though I read it out of order, it wasn't hard to follow new characters.
Leslie Angel
A good series. This one's scary, a little predictable but not completely. Quite a few plots, don't want to give any away.
Daniele
I enjoy this series but did not find this to be the best of the lot. The mystery is ok but a little too tidy.
Marie
The murderer was obvious from fairly early on but i still enjoyed it. Recommend the series
Carol
Good mystery. The last quarter was very good. Also,so neat that she is from Oak Ridge, TN!
David
Only one more to read in this series and have enjoyed it enormously.
Tracey
I have to get more of her books! She writes a good story.
Becky
Not as good as the others. Felt slightly formulaic.
Julia
Looking forward to reading this.
Sherdnerd
This series is just so much fun.
Digitaldolf
A real page turner again.
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • The Bone Thief (Body Farm, #5)
  • Evidence of Murder (Theresa MacLean #2)
  • Victim Six
  • Mourn The Living
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • The Shifters (The Keepers Trilogy #2)
  • Shooting Stars and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 3)
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • The Soul Collector
  • Dead Dry (Em Hansen Mystery, #10)
  • Play Dead
  • Bone Thief
  • Stolen (Lucy Kinkaid, #6)
I'm Beverly Connor and I love archaeology. I worked in Georgia and South Carolina as an archaeologist doing both fieldwork and analyzing artifacts. I also love mysteries. I combined these two loves and now write mysteries in which I weave my professional experience as an archaeologist into stories of murder and intrigue in both my Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation series and Lindsay Chamberlain ...more
More about Beverly Connor...
One Grave Too Many (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #1) Dead Guilty (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #2) Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3) Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4) Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)