Nocover-blank-133x176
Arthur Spiderwick: Gra...

Holly Black

Arthur Spiderwick: Grand Guide Du Monde Merveilleux Qui Vous Entoure (The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  2,969 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Tutto cominciò con una lettera strana e misteriosa lasciata per gli autori Tony DiTerlizzi e Holly Black in una piccola libreria del New England (USA). La lettera era stata scritta da tre fratelli e raccontava del loro pro-prozio e di un tomo incompiuto pieno di testimonianze sull'esistenza di creature solitamente ritenute materia di leggenda. Come narrano Le Cronache di S...more
121 pages
Published 2006 by Éditions Héritage (first published November 1st 2005)

Steven R. McEvoy
This book, the Arthur Spiderwick Field guide, is lovingly restored and organized by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi. The creatures from the fantastical world around us have been organized by habitat and then alphabetically. It has 28 plates and hundreds of illustrations, with fold-out pages and flip-up pages for even larger illustrations. Each creature's main illustrations list its scale. With lots of side notes and addendums, this is a wonderful book that the young and young at heart can return...more
NarcissusTea
"A gorgeous book, and fantastic companion to The Spiderwick Chronicles. It's a bit of a misnomer to call it a companion, though, as this is the book that started it all (even if it was published afterwards). The novels are more like an introduction for this book![return][return]I love that it's not only a bestiary (with beautiful illustrations), but that the beasts described within are somewhat unusual. Yes, there is a unicorn, but it doesn't exactly look like a horse with a horn on its head. On...more
Snorkle
I absolutely love Tony DiTerlizzi's illustrations, even as a teenager I find them wonderfully breathtaking and glorious. I cannot imagine what I would have thought of them as a child, I probably would have been completely flabbergasted. The creatures in this book are very interesting and you can't help but be sucked into this book, completely forgetting where you are, but instead, being immersed in this world, with all sorts of thoughts running around your head. This book was inspiring, it made...more
Hobbit
I've only read the first of the chronicles but this book is wonderful, such amazing images and witty descriptions. it's the kind of book I'd have poured over for hours as a child. and one I'll definately be having in my class.
it's a great book to use for inspiration for all sorts of character creation activities in literacy.

I have grand ideas of reading the books as read aloud books, whilst looking at the topic of myths and legends and then linking it all to a nice activity of getting the childr...more
Monet St. Louis
i love this book! i have had it since gr.12 in high school so ... 5 years? it shows its wear, but the art is so organic and beautiful i love it! the descriptions for each creature still intrigue me to read and believe. i often reference this book when reading fantasy novels that don't give descriptions of the creatures.

wish they would write another 'guide' with more 'fantastical creatures'.
Katy Jane
1. LOVED IT.
2. I learned to much about faeries. I feel like a have a better hold on the fantastical world around me now.
3. The book is great to expand a child's vocabulary. Not only with the names of the faeries but other words the authors use in the book. I even looked up a few words.
4. The pictures are beautiful and fantastic.
5. I've been observing the world around me and looking everywhere for signs of faeries.
6. I own all of the first Spiderwick Chronicles series but I wish I owned this boo...more
Melissa
My daughter checked this out from the library and told me I should read it. I thought it was a great book and perfect for the target audience or anyone who enjoyed the Spiderwick book. It had very good illustrations and I liked how the information about all the fairy was given. Very cute book.
Rhica
I have read this book over fifty times and I never get tired of it. The illustrations are magnificent and intricately wrought. The details about each creature are fascinating, and sometimes I really do believe these creatures exist.
Regina Hunter
Love the art work, extended flip pages. This book is not only for children, but for adults to remember their childhood and to share some fantasy and magic with the world.
Lynette
Tony DiTerlizzi is a master illustrator. All these books are worth having for his artistry alone. They are imaginitive, fun and wonderfully magical.
Kenna *F*cking wiff the DJ*
Love it,

Own it,

Bought it,

Couldn't live without it....

End of story...
Nicole
Dec 06, 2011 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: artists/appreciators of fantasy art, children, or anyone who enjoys field guides to the imaginary.
I received this book as a Christmas gift from a family friend soon after the film was released. I was slightly skeptical at first, as I hadn't read the books when I discovered them in high school on the basis that they seemed a too juvenile- though I was quite sure I would have enjoyed the books very much as a child. However, when I began leafing through the book I fell utterly in love. The illustrations are gorgeous, detailed and very imaginative, many seem to me to be entirely unique, wonderfu...more
Barbara
Feb 12, 2010 Barbara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People who liked the Spiderwick Chronicles
This book was a beautiful companion to the Spiderwick Chronicles. It is a reproduction of Arthur Spiderwick's field guide with detailed notes and drawings of the fantastical creatures of faerie.

The reason I gave it only four stars is because there were many fold out pages that easily get tattered. The fold our pages are slightly smaller than all the other pages and so they easily try to fall open and the edges get beat up. I was using a library copy and library books take all kinds of abuse, but...more
Therese Bradstreet
I have never read The Spiderwick Chronicles, but I am a fan of fantasy and cryptozoology, so an old friend gave me this book as a present six years ago. I had not read it until just recently. I really enjoyed the pictures, and I think that it is pretty cool that it is done on the style of a real bestiary.
Skylar
A charming companion to the Spiderwick Chronicles, Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You just goes to show how far Ditterlizi and Black threw themselves into this world. Detailed notes and beautiful illustrations on every single one of the creatures that exist in this beautifully vivid world they created for the Spiderwick Chronicles, The Field Guide is an absolute must read for fans of the series, as well as just mythical creature enthusiasts passing by. Everything...more
Tati Dengo
This book is a work of art. The absolutely beautiful and detailed illustrations are accompanied by a mock aged look of yellowed pages and rough edges that very expertly set the mood for a believable story. You start to forget that these are fantastical creatures that you're reading about, and it almost feels as if Arthur Spiderwick did indeed exist and travel around collecting this information.

Really, I cannot think of anything at all that would have made this book better. It is perfect.

It is...more
Leah Mitchell
Jul 03, 2013 Leah Mitchell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Children/Teens into Magical Creatures
Recommended to Leah by: My Mother - Jacqueline Mitchell
To be blunt; this 'field guide' is actually better as a whole than any of the Spiderwick chronicles or storylines following. The books were short and I really only enjoyed them because of the idea of magical creatures.

Then the actual field guide was published. It is amazing! The illustrations are beautiful and there are creatures I hadn't heard of and the information on the creatures was quite unique, even on creatures well-known such as merfolk and griffins.

I still have it now! 'Arthur Spiderw...more
Francisco Becerra
Gorgeous, beautiful, amazing, delicate, well written, lovable... This is what you expect from reading the novels, and delivers a lot more.
AJ McDial
If you are looking for a definitive anthropomorphous guide to fantastical mythological creatures, this book is definitely it! I got this book for only PHP200+ (roughly $4) at a local bookshop. There's only very minimal wear and missing dust jacket, but the overall appeal of the book is not compromised at all. Hats off to DiTerlizzi's illustrations, very rigorously detailed; and to the overall design of the book. I loved every single page of it. Definitely brought out the kid in me. I'm looking f...more
Emelie
I've read all of the original Spiderwick novels. All. And I was a Spiderwick-nerd when my sister bought these books a few years ago and I really enjoyed them. They're funny, exciting, and maybe a little too young for me, but heck! They're awesome! :D

But one of the best parts with the series was.. Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You! Haha, it's awesome.I've always been a supernatural and fantasy-geek, well, then there's no surprise I liked these books :D

But don't...more
Alleigh Waskie
it was good. it has alot of creautures in it. it was veary weird.i would read it if i were you.
Kirsten
Totally awesome! If you always loved Brian Froud's Faeries, I recommend checking this out. It's a companion to the Spiderwick novels, but even if you haven't read them, you will love this gorgeously illustrated field guide to magical creatures. The information remains true to established folklore about the various beasties, but Black and DiTerlizzi add their own creative details. I can think of a few people who I would be pleased to gift with this book (including myself!).
jess
I read this before reading any of the Spiderwick books and I was totally bowled over. Not only was I frightened to death every night by the dangers of the world I believed was hiding under my bed, in the closet, and behind every piece of furniture, I was absolutely fascinated by the gorgeous full-color watercolor sketches and beautiful illustrations. I was only 8 at the time... which might have had something to do with the fear factor... but it was a wonderful experience.
Andrea
My daughter loves this book. I think I would have loved it too at her age, because it reminds me of all those good old fantastic (in the sense of being fantasy) kids' books, like Gnomes, or Mudpies and Other Recipes, the kind of just-in-case-there-really-are-fairies-in-the-garden books I loved at Bella's age. But as an adult, I have to admit that the Spiderwick franchise has an aura of being created for Hollywood. It doesn't lessen its appeal to actual children, though.
Melissa Bennett
I love this book! I can look through it over and over again and never get tired of the beautiful illustrations. This illustrated book ties into the Spiderwick Chronicles books. It is the actual field guide that they talk about in this series that all of the fantasy creatures are trying to get ahold of. It is not supposed to be in human hands. No telling what the humans would do if they knew their secrets!
Tamra
May 02, 2010 Tamra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people who read the series
This book is REALLY well done. The illustrations are amazing and beautiful, and the information is great, too. My 8-year-old daughter now thinks she knows everything about fairies, and tells us about where different kinds live and what they can do, etc. It's cute.

If you read the series, I strongly suggest that you also read this Field Guide.

*update: I liked this book enough, I bought it.
Alyssa
It was in depth and intrigueing. I love this book and is a real field guide telling you what to do, to watch out for these animals, or attract them. It inform you as if the would be everyday animals such as parrots or kangaroos. Of course there mythical so you would'nt know the information unless reading the book. If you enjoyed this then please check out the rest of the spiderwick chronicles.
Christine
Aug 27, 2007 Christine rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those guys over there.
The illustrations are completely wonderful. This is a book that I will have forever and I will pass on to my children and my children's children and if I am still alive their children.

I might even take it down for other peoples children.

It isn't exactly a story. For the story see the Spiderwick Chronicles.....blug bluh bluh
Jazzi
Har så himla fina bilder och mycket intressant fakta om alla varelser! Den innehåller alla djur från filmen och böckerna och är helt enkelt jättespännande. Har läst alla The Spiderwick Chronicles, några andra Spiderwick böcker och så har jag tittat på filmen!! Rekomenderas för barn mellan 8-13 år!!!!:) :D ;)
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • Goblins!
  • Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (Ologies, #1)
  • Wizardology
  • Kenny and the Dragon
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • Voyage of the Basset
  • A Practical Guide to Dragons (Practical Guides)
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings From Myth and Magic
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
Holly Black is a best-selling author of contemporary fantasy novels for kids, teens, and adults. She is the author of the Modern Faerie Tale series (Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside), The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), and The Good Neighbors graphic novels (with Ted Naifeh) The Poison Eaters and Other Stories, a collection of short fiction, and The Curse Worker series (White Cat, Red Gl...more
More about Holly Black...
Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1) The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1) Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3) White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)