Start by marking “A Iniciação (Laços de Sangue, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Iniciação (Laços de Sangue, #1)

A Iniciação (Blood Ties #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  5,553 ratings  ·  425 reviews
Eu não sou cobarde. Quero deixar isso bem claro. Mas, depois de a minha vida se trans­formar num filme de terror, passei a levar o medo muito mais a sério. Tinha-​me tor­nado na Dra. Carrie Ames apenas há oito meses, quando fui atacada na morgue do hospital por um vampiro.
Haja sorte. Por isso agora sou uma vampira e descobri que tenho um laço de sangue com o monstro que m...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Gailivro (first published May 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Iniciação, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Iniciação

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter e o Prisioneiro de Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter e o Príncipe Misterioso by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter e o Cálice de Fogo by J.K. Rowling
Já li! - PORTUGAL
116th out of 570 books — 110 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenOs Jogos da Fome by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
Leituras de 2013 - Portugal
126th out of 1,943 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
First off, this is not a paranormal romance, contrary to what the cover wants you to think. This is a dark urban fantasy with many violent scenes. There is a great deal of pain, blood, and assault.

I loved the first chapter, thought it was perfect and original. I liked the main character, the secondary characters, and set up. Then the blood tie kicked in and was used for all sorts of ridiculous behavior and dialogue. I stopped liking the main character when her actions stopped making sense.

I und...more
Buggy
Opening Line: “I read a poll in the newspaper once that said the number one fear of Americans aged eighteen to sixty-five is public speaking. Spiders are second and death is a distant third.”

Wow, this was a fun. Not quite what I was expecting but as it turned out a great ride. For some reason I went into this thinking paranormal romance which is so not the case here. I would categorize Armintrout’s world as urban fantasy/horror. Its dark, violent, blood spattered and often gory and that would in...more
Terra
Blood Ties book one: The Turning by Jennifer Armintrout is such a breath of fresh air. Not the typical vampire romance that I'm used to reading and one I'm glad I didn't pass by.

Dr. Carrie Ames is a doctor that shouldn't be. Squeemish, insecure with low self esteem, she is the perfect candidate for this good vs. evil vampire must read. Easily controlled even though she really doesn't want to be, curious as a cat with nine lives you can see why she is the most ripe cherry for this battle.

Nathan i...more
Willow
This book is excellent! In fact, I haven’t read a vampire book this entertaining and exciting for a long time. These vampires are mean and they are killers. And now Carrie has found herself turned into one. She not too thrilled about it either. This has ruined her life. To her great misfortune, she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and gets attacked and left for dead. This starts her new life as the undead.

While I usually love the gothic undertones of most vampire novels,...more
Megan
I didn't have high hopes for The Turning. No offense to Jennifer Armintrout intended, but there is just so much crap flooding UF/PR shelves these days. However, I ended up being pleasantly surprised by this book.

It starts when Dr. Carrie Ames is attacked by a master vamp and unintentionally left behind to become a vampire herself. I had to love Carrie’s initial reservation to drinking blood. As a nurse and a germophobe, I can appreciate her revulsion to the whole thing based on the extreme icki...more
Sofia Teixeira
Real Rating: 4.5

Este primeiro livro da série Laços de Sangue foi uma boa surpresa. Confesso que andei a evitá-lo durante uns bons dias, pois pensava cá para mim: "Ora boa, mais um livrinho de vampiros...". E apesar de já ter lido bastantes este ano, este mostrou-se diferente. Conceitos diferentes, atitudes diferentes, o que contribuiu para que fosse ganhando entusiasmo ao longo da leitura. Tanto, que acabei por lê-lo em dia e meio.

Carrie, personagem principal e narradora, é uma médica que a cert...more
Fábio Ventura
Desde o sucesso da saga Twilight de Stephenie Meyer que a Gailivro tem vindo a apostar cada vez mais nos vampiros. “A Iniciação”, o primeiro volume da trilogia Laços de Sangue, da autoria da americana Jennifer Armintrout, é a sua mais recente aposta.
Carrie Ames é uma médica que recentemente se mudou para o Michigan para trabalhar no Serviço de Urgência de um hospital. Certa noite, é atacada na morgue por um vampiro, supostamente um doente falecido há minutos atrás. Enquanto se debate com a inco...more
Gloria Mundi
Ugh. Cutting my losses on this one. I read to about half way and flicked through the rest but it doesn't seem to get any better. None of it makes sense. The heroine is a hospital doctor who gets turned into a vampire and one of the first things she gets told to do and does in pretty short order is quit her job. Because people will start noticing that she doesn't age. Ummmm, yeah, but probably not for at least another 10 years or so. She's only 28, FFS. And wouldn't it make sense for her to stay...more
Christine_v
The reason I first picked this book was because it's about vampires and the heroine wasn't a 16 year old waiting for the prince charming. As she says she was 28 years old but she looked barely 21 (whatever!).

So a vampire story with lots of blood, gore and a fascination with eyes. I mean the things this author did with eyes!She took them out, borrowed them, changed them, staked them and all that in detail! Jennifer, what do you have against eyes?!?

Now our heroine, Carrie, is a doctor with daddy-...more
Mistery
[wrote in Portuguese] A Opinião Completa / The Complete Review: www.the-place-of-words-and-letters.bl...

Mas que capa! Mas que capa! Para além de ter tudo a ver com a história e de ser brilhante nas partes vermelhas... Mas que capa!

Quando acabeiPedaços de Ternura, de Dorothy Koomson, peguei na minhaTBR Jarpara sortear a minha próxima leitura, mas rejeitei todos os papeis que desenrolei nas minhas mãos. Depois, indecisa, olhei para a a sessão da minha estante onde guardo os livros que não
HJ
6/7/2014
So.

I read this book awhile back. I thought it was 'okay' (as you can see by how I rated this back in 2009). Am now going to go back to do a reread based on author's commendable behavior with regard to despicable trolling/bully sites.

This, on the heels of a certain 'world famous' *rolls eyes here* authoress who's decided that readers/reviewers who post less than sycophantic comments/posts, and less than adoring reviews are 'gangste...more
Kelly
This is no sweet, humorous vampire romance. Violence abounds from the first pages to the end. The story is unique for the approach to vampires, the changes in their bodies, and the link between sire and fledglings. And the idea that vampires would work to eradicate the "bad" vampires is not new, but that the Movement would strive to destroy all of the vampires was a shock.
Carrie's new nature is hard to resist and with the additional pull of her sire it is almost impossible to control herself. On...more
Gypsie Holley
This is completely different from what I am used to reading. I wasn't sure the first few chapters if I wanted to continue but it sucked me in. Deliciously disturbing so I must be sick in the head. A truly dark look into the not so good side of being a vampire. Violence, gore, blood and torture and teen rape. This is not a "romance" like bonding or mating that is generally read. I appreciate the change and it is very well written.

Best quote from book:

"Every moment I spent with him faded my anger...more
Betlehem Fekade
So it's been a while since I have actually reviewed anything and to ease my way back into this I decided to dive into my favourite genre.

This book had a promising beginning. I liked the way vampires were re-imagined to be more monstrous, very Buffy-esk which I really liked. I loved the writing style too, it's very quick and witty. Heck I even actually really liked Ziggy as a character but my problem begins the moment Carrie meets Cyrus. It's like all the charm and smart drains out of her and she...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
The Turning' is the first book in the 'Blood Ties' series by Jennifer Armintrout. It's a solid start to a series if a little uneven. It also doesn't really sit within the urban fantasy genre or the paranormal romance genre but somewhere in between in my opinion. Although there are a few gruesome scenes that may be too explicit for PNR fans, especially if they are just after a romance and nothing else.

Carrie Ames is a doctor working in a hospital when a John Doe is pushed through the hospital doo...more
Red Lace
Sep 21, 2014 Red Lace rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans
Dr Carrie Ames’ life changes dramatically when she is attacked in the hospital morgue. Thankfully found and saved in time, she undergoes her long and life threatening recovery. Her body then experiences some strange changes, such as a big increase in appetite and sensitivity to sunlight; things that can be explained medically, but Carrie knows the truth. She is a vampire and she needs help. She meets Ziggy and the ‘sex walking’ good vampire, Nathan, who educates Carrie on her new life. But soon...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Just in case you, like me, got this book confused with paranormal romance: it's not romance. That should hopefully dispel any expectations on that score which will only be disappointed.

Carrie is a doctor who has a bit of a breakdown when she sees the horrific injuries of a patient brought in one night. Trying to overcome her fear, she goes to the morgue to view the corpse only to have it attack her.

After spending some time in hospital herself, recovering, she struggles to return to her job. The...more
Lydia
I like it pretty well so far, but one of the sexy vampires just walked in wearing leather pants and a billowy white shirt.
Really?!
I'm still laughing at that one.
So I'm finished. It was like this: poorly developed characters? rambling, stupid plot? Hot, emotionally-retarded, Throbbing vampire love? Done. Sign Me UP!
It only took me a couple of hours to read, so I'll read the others because I'm a glutton for punishment, but it really was kind of like reading a book by the offspring of Bram Stoke...more
Barbara M.
"The Turning" has everything a great book should have; action, undeniable chemistry between characters, anticipation and vibrant with just enough description of what (or who)their doing =) It really mirrored Karen Marie Monings "Fever" series a whole lot for me. From everything from the book shop to the witchcraft and the mystery of the male characters. I do know that most novels favor each other, but I personally can't wait to see who's "take" on this story turns out a better read in the end.
Marisa
I wasn't even able to finish this book. It's awfull, awfull, awfull. The crappy translation to Portuguese didn't help aswel.

I do not recommend it.
Yulia
Chris
Jul 17, 2012 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carrie Vaughn fans
Jaime Atkins
I debated for a while about reading this series given that it is not rated as high as some others out there. However, in my opinion, the first book has been one of the best I've read. In a lot of first books, so much time is spent on building the world and explaining the rules that the story is totally overlooked. Not in this case. From page one, the action takes off and continues through the end.

The obvious storyline is that of Carrie's introduction into vampire life and the rules that must...more
Sita Sargeant
You know what I just noticed? The price difference, books in Australia (at let's say Dymocks) around $20 each for a paper back, books in India around 300 rupees each (that is around 6 Australian dollars). Unfair right? Oh well, so because they are so much cheaper I am stocking up on books over here. So far I have around 30 books and counting, and boy am I moving through them fast. I finished The Turning in around one night (and a morning, but that doesn't count I started the book at around 10pm)...more
Leonor (Ner)
Also published in "A Cup of Coffee and a Book"

I still don't know what to make of this book. I liked it but there's something about in it that makes me doubt myself. I'll say it was the translation since I've read the Portuguese edition.

First things first, this book should be rated NC-17 (no one under 17 allowed to read it). It was way too sexy and me, being 23 years old, felt myself blushing a lot in the sex scenes... My reaction to those scenes:

This book caught me by surprise. It was given to m...more
Leo Martin
Not your ordinary Vampire Novel. You can ask my classmates. This became a class favorite during my first year in college.

Writing in first-person effectively is, I suspect, something of an art and Jennifer Armintrout has mastered it in The Turning, the first book in the Blood Ties series.

I’ve not read any of Ms. Armintrout’s books before, but this one came recommended from a friend (Hello Joyce. Ahaha). I have to say, I was impressed with the smooth flow of her heroine’s stream of consciousness....more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
That was the most disturbing and deformed love-triangle I have ever had the pleasure of reading about. This story was dark and twisted and you won't find any happily ever afters here.
Dr. Carrie Ames becomes one of the undead through an unfortunate incident in the morgue. When she realizes she is no longer human and is in need of answers, the brilliant doctor develops a very simplistic plan - visit an internet chat room. Her genius idea brings her to Nathan, the sexy vampire turned vampire hunte...more
Jody
I did like this book which definitely falls in the category of urban fiction. Basically Carrie Ames is an ER doctor who is accidently turned into a vampire during a vicious attack in the morgue. She is uninformed and through seeking information on a website forum finds Nathan Grant. Nathan is a hunky vampire who helps Carrie but is the epitomy of brooding at times. But I like Nathan and wanted Carrie to trust him. Nathan is involved in a movement to exterminate vampires which sounds funny since...more
Angie
3,5

Encore un livre gravement desservi par sa couv! Le début parait léger et pas très sérieux de prime abord, mais cette impression disparait facilement. Nathan ressemble beaucoup à Barrons et dirige même une librairie, mais est beaucoup moins con.
Je m'attendais à un énième livre moyen de bit lit avec une héroïne soit complétement gourde, soit insupportablement trop arrogante, or Carrie est beaucoup plus intéressante que ça.

J'ai grandement apprécié que l'auteure ne se soit pas laissée tenter par...more
Ne
Desde que a capa me cativou, e o mesmo não posso afirmar quanto à sinopse, que queria ler o livro. Tanto que o comprei a ele e aos dois seguintes. Finalmente consegui pegar nele!
Ora bem, no geral achei o livro bastante cómico e cheio de acção. Do inicio ao fim, acontece quase tudo à protagonista, desde tentar sobreviver e afirmar-se no meio de internos sedentos de atenção, a ser desmoralizada pelo chefe, atacada por um vampiro, morrer no bloco operatório, sobreviver, encontrar outro vampiro, enc...more
Is This a Romance?! 3 51 Oct 02, 2011 06:10PM
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • The Vampire Shrink  (Kismet Knight, Ph.D., Vampire Psychologist, #1)
  • Night Rising (Vampire Babylon, #1)
  • Touch of Evil (Thrall, #1)
  • Eternal Seduction (A Darkness Within, #1)
  • The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Victoria, #3)
  • Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1)
  • Afterlight (Dark Ink Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Memories (Vampire Memories, #1)
  • The Becoming (Anna Strong Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
  • The Vampire's Seduction (Savannah Vampire, #1)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1)
  • The Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1)
  • The Blood Books, Volume I (Omnibus: Blood Price / Blood Trail)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Outcast (Guardians' League, #2)
Jenny Trout is a writer, blogger, and funny person.

Writing as Jennifer Armintrout, she made the USA Today Bestseller list with Blood Ties Book One: The Turning. Her novel American Vampire was named one of the top ten horror novels of 2011 by Booklist Magazine Online.

Jenny also writes award-winning erotic romance as Abigail Barnette.

When she’s not writing, she’s sleeping or otherwise incapacitated....more
More about Jenny Trout...
Possession (Blood Ties, #2) Ashes to Ashes (Blood Ties, #3) All Souls' Night (Blood Ties, #4) Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1) American Vampire

“If you're afraid of something, face it. Fear is irrational. The only way to conquer your fear is to stand next to it.” 23 likes
“Near mint my ass! Bluebird45 is getting some seriously bad feedback."
"You bought this on eBay?" I flipped to a random page and started reading. "Man, you really can get anything on there.”
6 likes