The Thing in the Attic

The Thing in the Attic

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Honath and his fellow arch-doubters did not believe in the Giants, and for this they were cast into Hell. And when survival depended upon unwavering faith in their beliefs, they saw that there were Giants, after all. . . .
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Thing in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thing in the Attic

MB Taylor
“The Thing in the Attic” is an SF story from the mid-50s and it's a fun read. This is only the second book of Blish's that I've read, excepting his adaptions of the original Star Trek scripts published back in the late 60s and early 70s, and that was a long time ago.

This story is about a race of what appear to be humanoids, living in trees on a planet different from our own. The humanoids live in a society where criminals are punished by condemning them to Hell, the surface planet. The story foc...more
Norm Davis
Jun 21, 2014 Norm Davis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: It's a classic! Everyone, of course.
Recommended to Norm by: NewThinkable (YouTube)

The Thing in the Attic, James Blish, YouTube, Librovox, Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Amazon, (All free)

I didn't read the blurbs before reading this one and now that I have I see they are spot on and go further than I would towards spoilers. Reading the title I certainly didn't expect the story I read. But, after reading the story it makes much, much more sense.

This story contains many of the things or concepts that I love about science fiction. Additionally this one is timeless, which is why I...more
Jim

pubOne.info present you this wonderfully illustrated edition. It is written that after the Giants came to Tellura from the far stars, they abode a while, and looked upon the surface of the land, and found it wanting, and of evil omen. Therefore did they make men to live always in the air and in the sunlight, and in the light of the stars, that he would be reminded of them. And the Giants abode yet a while, and taught men to speak, and to write, and to weave, and to do many things which are needf

Sara
This is a science fiction short story by James Blish which follows five members of a tree-dwelling society as they are cast out for doubting the Book of Law and forced to attempt survival on their planet's surface. Nominally they are only condemned to stay on the surface (a primeval jungle which their society calls "Hell") for a limited time, but in actuality no one has ever returned from even a very short sentence. And their sentence is very long indeed.

It's honestly more interesting as a writi...more
Douglas Smith
I used LibriVox to listen to this book.

The title of this book is not representative. The book describes the adventures of a group of outcast blasphemers who are rejected from their primitive primate society for rejecting belief in the ancient "giants" of their creation myth. They are dropped out of the trees into "hell" in a basket as punishment for their apostasy. Hell in this case, is simply the ground, but it is very dangerous, and filled with creatures that the primates are not equipped to h...more
Scott Harris
Although the outcome of this story was very predictable, the writing was good and the characters were intriguing as they dealt with the developing an understanding of their origins. The use of contemporary theological debate and discussion issues, as the backdrop to the heresy of the characters was clearly a statement on Blish's take on religion versus science.
brook
Dated, the twist was pretty easy to figure out, and very short. Well-written, though.
David Dorton
David Dorton marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Keith Stone
Keith Stone marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Leon
Leon marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Esellwebcom
Esellwebcom marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–...more
More about James Blish...
Cities in Flight (Cities in Flight, #1-4) A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4) They Shall Have Stars (Cities in Flight, #1) Star Trek 1 Spock Must Die! (Star Trek Adventures, #1)