Start by marking “The Thing in the Attic” as Want to Read:
The Thing in the Attic

The Thing in the Attic

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Honath and his fellow arch-doubters did not believe in the Giants, and for this they were cast into Hell. And when survival depended upon unwavering faith in their beliefs, they saw that there were Giants, after all. . . .
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Thing in the Attic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thing in the Attic

MB Taylor
“The Thing in the Attic” is an SF story from the mid-50s and it's a fun read. This is only the second book of Blish's that I've read, excepting his adaptions of the original Star Trek scripts published back in the late 60s and early 70s, and that was a long time ago.

This story is about a race of what appear to be humanoids, living in trees on a planet different from our own. The humanoids live in a society where criminals are punished by condemning them to Hell, the surface planet. The story foc
Norm Davis
Jun 21, 2014 Norm Davis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: It's a classic! Everyone, of course.
Recommended to Norm by: NewThinkable (YouTube)

The Thing in the Attic, James Blish, YouTube, Librovox, Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Amazon, (All free)

I didn't read the blurbs before reading this one and now that I have I see they are spot on and go further than I would towards spoilers. Reading the title I certainly didn't expect the story I read. But, after reading the story it makes much, much more sense.

This story contains many of the things or concepts that I love about science fiction. Additionally this one is timeless, which is why I
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

pubOne.info present you this wonderfully illustrated edition. It is written that after the Giants came to Tellura from the far stars, they abode a while, and looked upon the surface of the land, and found it wanting, and of evil omen. Therefore did they make men to live always in the air and in the sunlight, and in the light of the stars, that he would be reminded of them. And the Giants abode yet a while, and taught men to speak, and to write, and to weave, and to do many things which are needf

Sara
Oct 20, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
This is a science fiction short story by James Blish which follows five members of a tree-dwelling society as they are cast out for doubting the Book of Law and forced to attempt survival on their planet's surface. Nominally they are only condemned to stay on the surface (a primeval jungle which their society calls "Hell") for a limited time, but in actuality no one has ever returned from even a very short sentence. And their sentence is very long indeed.

It's honestly more interesting as a writi
Carl Mayo
Dec 12, 2015 Carl Mayo rated it really liked it
For the first third of the story, Blish had me thinking this was a society of bugs who spend all their time in the treetops, avoiding small insect-eating critters on the ground. No, not bugs.....
Douglas Smith
I used LibriVox to listen to this book.

The title of this book is not representative. The book describes the adventures of a group of outcast blasphemers who are rejected from their primitive primate society for rejecting belief in the ancient "giants" of their creation myth. They are dropped out of the trees into "hell" in a basket as punishment for their apostasy. Hell in this case, is simply the ground, but it is very dangerous, and filled with creatures that the primates are not equipped to h
Alex
Jan 09, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
This is one of Blish's Pantropy stories related to Seedling Stars. It’s a fascinating take on what could be done in our spreading to the stars. It’s a great musing on what it means to be human and what is required to grow, learn, and evolve.
ScoLgo
Simple sci-fi short story. Predictable but well-written.
Scott Harris
Although the outcome of this story was very predictable, the writing was good and the characters were intriguing as they dealt with the developing an understanding of their origins. The use of contemporary theological debate and discussion issues, as the backdrop to the heresy of the characters was clearly a statement on Blish's take on religion versus science.
brook
Aug 27, 2013 brook rated it it was ok
Dated, the twist was pretty easy to figure out, and very short. Well-written, though.
Melissa Wandel
Melissa Wandel marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 31, 2016
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
Levent Mollamustafaoglu marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Jonthan Solomon
Jonthan Solomon marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Bill Meehan
Bill Meehan rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Louisecalder
Louisecalder marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Rory McKay
Rory McKay marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Tavis Hamer
Tavis Hamer rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Dan Svoboda
Dan Svoboda rated it did not like it
Jun 28, 2015
Michael Thompson
Michael Thompson rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Phil Chenevert
Phil Chenevert rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Phani
Phani marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Tim Poston
Tim Poston rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Declan Waters
Declan Waters rated it it was ok
May 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James Benjamin Blish (East Orange, New Jersey, May 23, 1921 – Henley-on-Thames, July 30, 1975) was an American author of fantasy and science fiction. Blish also wrote literary criticism of science fiction using the pen-name William Atheling Jr.

In the late 1930's to the early 1940's, Blish was a member of the Futurians.

Blish trained as a biologist at Rutgers and Columbia University, and spent 1942–
More about James Blish...