Start by marking “Catcher with a Glass Arm” as Want to Read:
Catcher with a Glass Arm

Catcher with a Glass Arm

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  321 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A young baseball player struggles to overcome his fear of a pitched ball, improve his throwing, and somehow redeem himself in the eyes of his teammates.
Published December 19th 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1964)

Trevor Wetzel
The book “Catcher with a Glass Arm” by Matt Christopher is about a middle school baseball player named Jody. He plays catcher for his team but struggles with his throwing to bases. Because of this, opposing teams steal on him a lot and cause him to make many errors. During one of the games early in the season, a parent from the opposing team yells out, “Steal on him! That catcher has a glass arm!” This scene gives the story its title and is the main plot behind the story. Jody’s throwing eventua ...more
Quentin
I thought this book was suspenseful, but it was very good. The story is about a catcher who doesn't throw the ball to his potiential, but later in the book he has to make a crucial throw to win a playoff game. I recommend this book.
Zack Kirchner
Pros: A fun easy to read book about a sport that I love. This book shows the struggle of a young catcher with a weak (glass arm) and how he overcomes that setback. This book has a great theme and does a great job of developing characters and the plot. It also gives very detailed descriptions of baseball games which i enjoyed.

Cons: Didn't really have too many complaints about this book one that I was kinda disappointed with was the lack of detail i put into the setting.Another part that I didn't
Nathaniel
I liked it. He couldn't really even throw it to the pitcher. Then in the last game, the catcher hurt himself and he had to go in. In one inning all he got was all three out cause he was able to throw the people out. Then they went to an indian cave in part of the book and his cat named midnight went into the cave chasing a rat. Then the cat fell into the four foot puddle and he had to rescue him. Another thing that happened to midnight was a dog chased him up a lamppost and then they finally got ...more
Jerry
I don't normally read sports-themed fiction, but, this one was actually very good; despite its age, it has a timeless appeal. Those who are young--or young at heart, like me--should enjoy this.
Jane
If this is the sort of book teachers give kids who like sports but not reading, I doubt the kids will ever learn to like reading!

I love baseball, but reading page after page of play-by-play is mind-numbingly dull. The best sports books have sports as a backdrop, not as the kernel of the book. Two non-sports vignettes (family caught in storm with downed power lines and boy rescues pet from drowning) feel forced and part of a different book. The main character's transformation (scared kid who nee
Brent Rogers
This book is about a middle school baseball player named Jody. He plays catcher for his team but struggles to throw the ball to the bases. Players from other teams begin to steal on him and take advantage of his "glass arm." He overcomes this feat and becomes a great player. This is a good story for children who want to begin to read chapter books and interested in baseball.
Skyler
Not my subject of interest.
F
Age appropriate sports read for 9 to 12 year olds. The main character, Jody Sinclair, is struggling as a catcher in throwing-down runners to second base. Jody is beginning to be scare of the ball as a hitter also. One of Jody's team-mates' Dad, Jim Myers helps Jody work on his baseball playing skills. Jody has a black pet cat named Midnight and Jody showed great love and care for the cat. I thought the author adding Midnight as a secondary storyline was admirable.
Lucas H
I really liked this book that’s why I gave it 4 stars. It is one of the best books I have ever read. It has all the details in it that’s why I like it. This is realistic fiction those are what I usually read. Most of the stuff in the book could happen to me. I think it should get an award it is written very nicely. I think if you like baseball like me you should try to read this book. I think you will enjoy it.
Annette Steele
Matt Christopher was another author that was recommended for young reluctant male readers. I read this book and thought it could work for the 4th grade boys in my class who are into sports. Apparently Christopher has written an abundance of such books on scuba diving, basketball, baseball, dirt bike racing, etc. I will probably recommend these for the boys in my class who are struggling to find a book to read.
Nick Goeman
Shay Karlen
Jody has a problem with throwing the ball. I would recommend this book. Jody over comes his problem of throwing. If you like baseball you would love this book. I highly recommend this book. It is a overall very good book.
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 11406 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 3.7 - AR Pts: 2.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Christian Clarke
As a white child growing up in the midwest I read every single Matt Christopher book. Loved 'em, but a what scam.
Ela Period
It was a good book. I enjoyed it when I was in fourth grade. It was a great sports book.
Ian Rhines
This was the best Matt Christopher book I have ever read!!! It never had any boring parts.
Ad-RyaN Williams
If you love baseball and sports this book would be great for you.Please read!!!!!!!
Justin Hall
I think this one's about the Russian. I accidentally read it twice.
Mas5thgrade2012
It was my favrit book so far
C 2Henry
C 2Henry marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Caiden Goodman
Caiden Goodman marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Susan Higgins
Susan Higgins marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Jennifer Odom cupp
Jennifer Odom cupp marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Dana Roger
Dana Roger marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Oh, Yikes!: History's Grossest Moments
  • Honus & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #1)
  • Pinch Hit
  • America: A Patriotic Primer
  • Never Too Little to Love
  • Playing for Keeps
  • Help! I'm Trapped in My Gym Teacher's Body
  • Do You Have a Hat?
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • The Japanese Tsunami, 2011 (I Survived, #8)
  • The Rabbit And The Turtle
  • The Icky Bug Alphabet Book
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Stealing Thunder
  • I Love My Daddy Because...
  • Harrys Mad
  • Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night (Henry and Mudge, #17)
  • Will You Sign Here, John Hancock?
Matt Christopher is the writer young readers turn to when they're looking for fast-paced, action-packed sports novels. He is the best-selling author of more than one hundred sports books for young readers.

Matt Christopher is America's bestselling sports writer for children, with more than 100 books and sales approaching six million copies. In 1992, Matt Christopher talked about being a children's
More about Matt Christopher...
The Kid Who Only Hit Homers Return of the Home Run Kid Tough to Tackle Ice Magic Soccer Halfback