The Kill Zone - 1st Edition/1st Impression

The Kill Zone - 1st Edition/1st Impression

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The guys in the Regiment know they face their fiercest enemies when they fight the Taliban. No-one is tougher, more deadly or more cunning. And if they enter the Taliban's kll zone, they know just what to expect ...

When three deadly stinger missiles go mssing in Helmand Province, the Regiment is tasked to retrieve the weapons at all costs. SAS ledgend Jack Harker has a mis...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Coronet

To ask other readers questions about The Kill Zone - 1st Edition/1st Impression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kill Zone - 1st Edition/1st Impression

Graham
Chris Ryan's latest thriller feels a bit different to the other books he's been writing in the last few years. There's been a certain sloppiness - a rushed feel - to his writing lately, but this novel is longer, more in-depth and thought-out, with a complex plot spanning several continents and involving half a dozen different countries. There's more to get your teeth into than usual.

The hero is Jack Harker, a soldier who we meet in a typically intense battle sequence full of fiery death and dest...more
Russell Phillips
It should be noted that the audio CD version that I have is abridged, and read by Rupert Degas. Degas does a good job as narrator, making it clear who is talking at any given time.

The plot is interesting, and takes in Afghanistan, Somalia, Belfast and London. It's fairly complex, with several threads that come together in a surprising finish. The abridging was well done, but I suspect the full-length version is better, given the relative complexity of the plot.

There were a couple of points that...more
Paige Turner
The hero is Jack Harker, an SAS grunt who is sent on a top secret mission to Afghanistan to stop a group of Taliban developing a dangerous chemical weapon. Jack’s mission is successful but he soon finds himself in the thick of it again when he and his team are asked to retrieve some captured Stinger missiles. The mission goes sour and Jack is captured.

While this is going on, Siobhan (Shivon) Jack’s ex-wife, herself a highly trained undercover operative is trying to track down their missing daugh...more
Matthew Keen
Mr Ryan has, yet again, astonished me with the high standards and quality of the book: 'The kill zone.' It is new to hear from an actual ex-SAS soldier, who has been out there, and seen what he writes about actually happen.

Mr Ryan has a gift for descriptions. He can explain through words everything about a person, from their clothes to their traits. He has never missed an opportunity for a description-he adds them every paragraph, and he adds them to an amazing quality. The way in which he desc...more
Joe Curtis
When Jack Harker, an SAS soldier, escapes from a Taliban prison, he discovers a plot that puts the kill zone nowhere near Afghanistan but in the heart of London. Along with his ex-wife Siobhan Byrnes he must stop a massive chemical bomb being set off while the president of the USA is visiting London.
This is an amazing book with great character depth and mystery.
I rated it five stars because it is really good and it ticks off the book that teaches you about another place or culture box on my bing...more
Jane Plumridge
Wow, what a good read 'The Kill Zone' is. Twisting and turning plot, which is gruesome in places, this book deals with a possible scenario based around the fact that weapons in real life have gone missing. It is chilling to realise that what he writes could come to pass and although a work of fiction, sends a clear message about how flimsy a line there is between peace and utter catastrophe.
Great lead character, very well written and definitely recommended. I thoroughly enjoyed it!!
Oscar
The Kill zone is a book that most will think is quiet dull if your not really into the warish type books but its is a very well made book by a SAS retired soilder looking for something to share his experiances on. It talks about a father and mother that have gone ex but are conastantly looking for there daughter that still might be alive somewhere out there in the unforgiging world in the time of the taliban.
Jarrad Jones
This book was allot slower than all the others because the author kept on introducing new characters all the time. The other books that he hs written have introduced the characters and they stayed the same throughout the film. I prefer him to introduce just the characters and kjeep it the same because you get to know the characters better.
Miffy
I liked this and, although at first i didn't think i would get into the storyline, it turned out better than expected when the action came away from Afghanistan. I loved the way how so many different threads of the story all come together at the end.
Ash
This book took me by surprise. The first book I had read by Chris Ryan, I picked it up as a bit of a quick 'junk read'. I was so very wrong, nothing junky about this book, Ryan is extremely knowledgeable and writes a fantastic story.
Neville
Typical Chris Ryan book with it based on SAS or services background. Good story line with Jack Harker as the main focus of the story. Enjoyed the book right up to the last page.
Hollieann
Definitely kept me hooked! nice to read something that doesn't require much thinking, has a good solid storyline and is a bit macho!
TheIron Paw
A decent military thriller - no deep insights or innovative plots, but a good action book.
Chris Harrison
Very good book, with a lot of unexpected twists, especially the ending.
Jason Alderson
having read all the chris ryan books this one stands well above the rest!!!!
stan
What a rattling good read. Chris Ryan on top form. YOU MUST READ THIS
Martin
Better than most of the other one's I've read
Darren
Darren marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Kieran
Kieran marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Dale
Dale added it
Jul 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Chris Ryan was born in 1961 in a village near Newcastle. In 1984 he joined the SAS. During his ten years in the Regiment, he was involved in overt and covert operations and was also Sniper team commander of the anti-terrorist team.

During the Gulf War, Chris was the only member of an eight-man team to escape from Iraq, of which three colleagues were killed and four captured. It was the longest esca...more
More about Chris Ryan...
The One That Got Away: My SAS Mission Behind Enemy Lines Strike Back Survival Agent 21 (Agent 21, #1) The Watchman