Start by marking “The Lion of Kent” as Want to Read:
The Lion of Kent

The Lion of Kent

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  768 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Squire William Raven has only one goal—to finally receive his spurs and become a knight. When his lord, Sir Robert de Cantilou, returns from a five-year crusade in the Holy Land, William wants nothing more than to impress him.

After Sir Robert's return, noble guests arrive from France, bringing intrigue to the castle. William is oblivious to the politics, as he's distracted
Published (first published August 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion of Kent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion of Kent

The Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkThe Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeDowntime by Tamara AllenThink of England by K.J. Charles
Best Gay Historical Romance
49th out of 562 books — 1,040 voters
Sweet as Sin by Inez KelleyStone Kissed by Keri StevensThe Mysterious Lady Law by Robert AppletonLying Eyes by Amy AtwellHunting Human by Amanda E. Alvarez
Carina Press Books
40th out of 117 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Ingela
Written September 1, 2014

4.3 Stars - Voinov has impressed me again - a fantastic intense knight gem

I just finished an AMAZING three hours audiobook narrated by Sean Crisden. A Voinov / Cotoner historical M/M novella.

Recommended by Andrea (aka the Irish Smurfette). Thanks, honeybunny! I loved it.

***********************************************************
England 1176...

Squire William Raven has only one goal: to finally receive his spurs and become a knight. He is an illegitimate son of a death kn
Aleksandr Voinov
Mar 21, 2015 Aleksandr Voinov added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
This is planned as one of three stories dealing with William Raven (a character I introduced in "Deliverance"). When I wrote "Deliverance", I didn't know that there were so many more stories in there, but that's how the muse works.

"Lion of Kent" covers the youth and first love of William. Part 2, which I'm currently outlining, will deal with his other love, Guy de Metz. And hopefully I'll manage to "bring the herd home" (aka, wrap things up) in a third part.

So, while "Deliverance" and "Lion of
MishyJo
Oct 06, 2014 MishyJo rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I love this era.
I love this story.
I love Robert.
I love William.

I wish the story had been longer.

I need to read more Voinov.

This review reads a bit like a first grader's book report. Oh well. 4.5 stars.

My first, hopefully not last, BR with Sofia, and another great BR with Giulio. Sorry I wasn't the best BR buddy this time.

Sofia

A quick complete short which did not take me deep neither to the time, place or to the protagonists.

BR with Mishy and Giulio

Bev
Apr 25, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
I liked this historical novella which was very well researched as you would expect by Mr Voinov and his co-author. Intrigue, sex (well, duh!!), fighting and men in tights (sorry, hose)....what more could you ask for? 4 stars

This period of British history has always fascinated me. Knights, squires, Kings and Queens...wonderful.

The story revolves around William Raven, a squire and his Lord Sir Robert de Cantilou. William wants to become a knight but must wait until Sir Robert returns from the Cr
Giulio
Oct 06, 2014 Giulio rated it liked it
The plot wasn't very interesting and the characters were a bit plain, but a lot of sexy time made this book a pleasant Sunday read.

BR Sunday with Mishy and Sofia.

description
Jenre
Sep 01, 2010 Jenre rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historicals, romance
Back in the days when I read m/f historical romance I was never really that keen on the Medieval romances. They always seemed to gloss over all the really interesting stuff, like day to day living, the feudal system and the social and political machinations of the day, focusing instead on dresses, running wild on the hills and improbably feisty heroines who would probably have been tied up in a chastity belt and locked in the cellar for the sort of behaviour they displayed in these books. So you ...more
Jason Bradley
Aug 13, 2010 Jason Bradley rated it it was amazing
The accuracy of the historical writing in this piece was impressive as was how completely I felt pulled into the story. I want more of William and Robert! I want to read of their journey on crusade!
Rachel Haimowitz
Oct 12, 2010 Rachel Haimowitz rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, m-m, historical

I'm a bit torn on how I feel about this one. So, bullet points it is :)

First the good:

*William is delicious and I love him. In fact, all the characters--even the secondary ones--were beautifully shaped, interesting to read about, and distinct individuals. I want to read more about William and Robert both.

*The historical details are masterful. This was a writer who REALLY did his homework and built an immersive world without inundating the reader with details.

*The writing was overall q
Desinka
Sep 06, 2014 Desinka rated it did not like it
This was a total disappointment. The characters were sketchy at best, the story was almost non-existent and the romance was so meh, I can't say I thought I took it as a real romance.

I was further disappointed by the audio narrator, who was terrible throughout but exceeded himself even further with an unbelievably fake French accents, which sounded more like drunken Russian and indistinguishable English accents for the characters. I almost threw my iPod when I heard his voice for William. The su
Tina
Oct 22, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it

Reading historical books is always a challenge and finding one that keeps me interested is not easy. However, The Lion of Kent was anything but boring.

The main character is William, a young man wanting and trying to become a knight of Lord Robert de Cantilou. The story follows him as he grows, fights, becomes a lover and a knight.

The characters of William Raven and Sir Robert and their developing relationship are interesting elaborated and enjoyable to read. The history feels very real. Hot tem
Irina
I didn't recognise Voinov's hand in this book at all. Unfortunately.

***Rounded up to 2 stars***
Arzu
Aug 30, 2010 Arzu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 stars

Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of Aleksandr Voinov. Consequently I had high expectations for this prequel of Deliverance. I was not disappointed.

William Raven is a squire whose aims to earn his spurs and become a knight. When his lord, Sir Robert de Cantilou, returns after a five-year crusade in the Holy Land, William wants nothing more than to impress him.
Furthermore, Sir Robert announces that his castle will host French noble guests who will be accompanied by his brother,
DayDreamer
The novel finished too quickly.

I wasn't too fascinated with William - he didn't show much character growth or maturity. But I wanted to know more about Robert and his life during the crusade or his days in Constantinople.

I loved the setting - 12th century England. It's one of my favorite periods to read about.
Tami (synchro from BL)
I really wanted to like this book, because it was very well written. But I don't like insta-love and there was really nothing to recommend both MCs besides appearances. The conspiration plot was not really interesting.
Leontine
Sep 22, 2010 Leontine rated it liked it
I was drawn to read this story since I recognized the name of Aleksandr Voinov. He is part of the duo that also wrote the SPECIAL FORCES series, which I so cherish. Before I started the novella THE LION OF KENT I had no clue that it was connected to a historical anthology story titled DELIVERANCE. Apparently the story of William Raven is expanded from DELIVERANCE with three short novellas and I hope each will be released at Carina Press.

My Review: THE LION OF KENT turned out to be a five chapter
Amara
Nov 23, 2010 Amara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, favorites
I have to say, I love a good historical romance. Give me a good read about knights and crusaders, and I am one happy girl. Aleksandr Voinov and Kate Cotoner did a great job with this one. This baby had it all; Action, intrigue, great characters, seduction, hot sex, as well as an amazing historical accuracy and detail that transported me back to time and place.

I absolutely loved the characters in this one. I first read about Willam Raven in Aleksandr’s short story Deliverance, part of the Forbid
Matimate
Nov 13, 2012 Matimate rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical, 2012
I am not into middle ages, all that dirt and such is making me nauseous. Two unwashed and smelly knights who are doing anal makes me scared for life. BUT....

There is nothing like that in this book and luckily it is more about romancing squire and landlord in danger then hygiene habits or too much period stuff. The assassination plot put the additional drama, which was solved as quickly as it came to attention.

The verdict was simple. I enjoyed the book quite a lot. I like style of the author. But
Ije the Devourer of Books
Brilliant audio. Very enjoyable to listen to and a good historical story.
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Sep 03, 2013 Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews rated it really liked it
I listened to the great 3 hour audio book narrated by sean crisden. A great tale of a squire who wants to prove himself and discovers something about himself in the process. SHort and sexy ;)
Rhianon
Aug 23, 2010 Rhianon rated it it was amazing

It's not often that a story leaves me stunned, speechless, and scrambling voraciously for more. William and Robert manage it effortlessly, however.

The genre needs more stories of this caliber. Many. Lots. Please? :)

The romance between Robert, a seasoned veteran of the Crusades, and William, a squire desperate to finally earn the spurs of knighthood, is an example of flawless execution.

Set in a historic period renowned for, amongst other things, the high levels of testosterone, Voinov manages ac
Thea Nishimori
Nov 17, 2013 Thea Nishimori rated it it was ok
Shelves: homoerotica
:::SPOILER ALERT:::

While the sex scenes were quite steamy, my primary objection is that the main character was not likable. William was painstakingly portrayed (and half the pain was the reader's embarrassment on his behalf) as a hot-tempered, insolent, and stupid boor. In short, there was nothing to recommend him to his master's fancy, let alone engender the kind of respectful courtship with which Robert wooed him. It would not have been believable, either, for him to have turned suddenly into
Rikki
Aug 27, 2010 Rikki added it
Shelves: fiction, glbt
I am a sucker for Lord and Squire stories, so when I saw The Lion of Kent by Aleksandr Voinov available on Netgalley I picked it up right away.

Of the three stories I read so far by Aleksandr I liked this one best. I liked the historical setting, not to mention the two protagonists. William, a wild boy who wants to earn his spurs, and Robert, who recognizes himself as a young man in William. I found William as someone always reacting before thinking unless he forces himself to calm down and count
Kei
Oct 06, 2010 Kei rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes m/m.
Shelves: m-m-romance
The Lion of Kent is a good historical m/m romance. The romance is certainly there. I personally would like to see more of the historical elements, but I’m just strange that way. The more ancient it is the better I like it. The richer in detail the better.

William has a lot of dichotomy in his character. He sure is cocky for someone who is so aware of his place. Lots of pride and shame in that boy, sometimes a little lacking in common sense. Perhaps rash would be the single best word. He has been
JR
Dec 23, 2012 JR rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, favorites
This story takes place in one of my favorite periods in the history of British Isles. It has always been a fascination for me, so I knew I would like this story. The main character is William, a young man wanting and trying to become a knight of Lord Robert. Robert's returning from the Crusades sets the story in motion. It becomes quickly apparent Robert is interested in William in many ways, one being taking William as a lover. The story follows William as he grows, fights, becomes a lover and ...more
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~

Knights, Oh my!

Robert has returned from a five-year crusade and young William is not so young anymore. Although only 85 pages, a fully-fleshed out romance. William wants to prove himself so that his career path can take the next step to full-fledged knight. And he's overheard a plot against Robert. Except he's come to the realization that his night-time visitor to his bed is none other than the lord of the manor, Robert!

Robert holds himself back from taking the final step with William as he need
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This was an enjoyable audiobook listen. I that thought the historical setting was a nice change of pace and the writing seemed polished, as Voinov always does. However, I didn't like the insta-love and I thought the characters fell a little flat. Still good, just didn't blow me away.
Elizabetta

The story blurb says it all. Really enjoyed the rich world building including an exciting boar hunt-- always necessary in a knight's tale.
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Yup, finally wrote a review for this'n.

Full retro read review on Prism Book Alliance

William is “old” for a squire looking to become a knight, though I don’t think this is the basis for the attitude he has and that I love. He does have a chip on his shoulder but he knows it and, despite his inability to use a verbal filter, he tries to fight those initial reactions that cause him to appear quick to temper and fighting. Sometimes he succeeds, sometimes not so much. That lack of a filter often take
Andrea Guy
This is a really short gay historical romance. Some might try to lump this in as erotica, but it really isn't. There isn't enough sex for it to be considered that. Mind you there's a bit of sex and in a story that's only a little over 80 pages, some might consider it more erotic, but when you compare it to some of the novellas put out by mass market romance it is pretty tame.

I found out after having read the novella that it is a a prequel to Aleksandr Voinov's story Deliverance from the antholog
Anyone else waiting for a continuation? 7 34 Mar 21, 2015 10:15AM
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Thief (Brook Street, #1)
  • The Price of Temptation
  • Captain's Surrender
  • Fall of a State
  • An Improper Holiday
  • Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1)
  • The Only Gold
  • Bless Us With Content
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • The Desire for Dearborne

“Half of love is restraint. Patience and respect. Don’t waste your time on the unworthy.” 6 likes
“Knighthood. Was he even worthy? Just a little while ago, he’d have answered yes without a doubt, but now, facing the cross and his own desires, he wasn’t so sure. Courage, loyalty, obedience, faith. If even a man like Ulric could act against those virtues, then they were not something one possessed, but something to be constantly guarded and reclaimed.” 5 likes