Start by marking “Circus Family Dog” as Want to Read:
Circus Family Dog

Circus Family Dog

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Grumps is a circus dog who loves to make people laugh--all he has to do is lie down on the ground with his feet in the air and the crowds cheer and roar. But one day a new dog named Sparks joins the circus. Sparks can jump through hoops, balance a ball on his nose, and even ride on the back of a running zebra. How can an old dog with one simple trick compete with the likes ...more
Published April 17th 2000 by Clarion Books

To ask other readers questions about Circus Family Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circus Family Dog

Sara Stalder
This book is really cute!! Circus Family Dog tells the tale of a circus troop, which is "like a family, and old Grumps is the family dog." Normally, Grumps is the star of the show, rolling over and sleeping instead of jumping through the hoop, making the kids laugh and cheer. But when a new, younger, more talented dog is brought to the circus, Grumps is unhappy. Every day he works and works to be able to jump through the hoop, and he finaly does on the last day fo the fair. This is truly a cute ...more
Ashley Allen
I would use this book to talk about predictions. I would ask the students if they think the old dog Grumps will learn how to jump through the hoop. I would also talk about how practice is the best way to learn new things and to practice old skills.
Kelly
This story would correlate nicely with a discussion on setting goals, trying new things, and practicing.
Susan
What a appealing read! Grumps, the old circus dog feels usurped by Sparks, the new circus dog. The dogs reminded me a lot of my old dog and my young dog and so I was charmed with the spot-on canine expressions captured perfectly in art reminiscent of those great George Booth cartoons in the New Yorker magazine. Besides the fabulous art, the story is a wonderful read with a satisfying ending.
Jillian Reed
Routines are good to have, but sometimes things need to be shaken up a bit. That's the case with the circus family dog who wants to prove he can do something other than what is expected. The outcome proves to be an emotional twist about how family will always try to keep each other smiling and happy.
Kristen
I really like this book. My kids were lukewarm about it. We only read it when I suggest it. That is the only reason I haven't given it five stars. But I think it's such a sweet story with a lot of emotional heft, told in a simple and enjoyable way.
Casie
Such a sweet book. The circus is a family and they have a family dog. This story packs a lot of great stuff into a small package. Love, working hard, caring for family...I really enjoyed this book and the illustrations are adorable too.
Maria
Grumps is an old circus dog who lies around and doesn't do much. The circus family gets a new puppy, which challenges Grumps to try to outdo the new member. I liked that Grumps tries to better himself, but he accepts the pup in the end.
Hannah Morrison
Such a nice book to share issues with acceptance. The book spans species to show students that they may not be the only ones with acceptance issues. Another book that could open critical thinking lines.
Marshmallowlemonade
Old dog learns a new trick for the circus. Not sure the plot is consistent enough and doesn't make sense in the end. The payoff feels off.
Kelley Mcalhany
Book about a dog that doesn't do the tricks just right, but with practice he wins the crowd because after all he is the family dog.
Cute, I like the story about the dog more then the circus bit.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
samadhi
samadhi marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Cami
Cami marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Ali Madrid
Ali Madrid marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Oct 21, 2014
Lisa Hall
Lisa Hall marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Valerie Cunningham
Valerie Cunningham marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an ...more
More about Andrew Clements...
Frindle Things Not Seen (Things, #1) No Talking The Report Card The School Story