Jake Drake Know-It-All

Jake Drake Know-It-All (Jake Drake #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Jake Drake is excited about Despres Elementary School's first science fair. He wants to win the grand prize: a brand-new Hyper-Cross-Functional Bluntium Twelve Computer System. And he "really" wants to beat the third grade know-it-alls, Marsha McCall and Kevin Young.The trouble is, to beat the know-it-alls, Jake has to become a know-it-all himself. And he may just lose mor...more
Published July 1st 2001 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published April 1st 2001)

Jnase1
Another great Jake Drake book! This one is about Jake's experience with the science fair in third grade. Jake is super excited to participate in his school's first science fair because the winner gets a brand new, state of the art computer system! If it's one thing Jake loves, it's computers. So Jake begins working on his science project right away. He knows it has to be good if he wants to beat the know-it alls in his class, Marsha and Kevin. So he keeps his project a secret. He works really ha...more
Cinnamon
Jake Drake is a smart enough kid. He just doesn't think that he should spend all his time advertising it. Not like those Know-It-Alls in the class, the ones who always raise their hand for every question and have to have to the top scores on everything. Those kids are so annoying.
But when the school announces that a science fair will be held and the top prize is a new computer, Jake wonders if maybe this time being a know-it-all won't be such a bad thing.

A good read-aloud or hi/lo reader for boy...more
Alison Levie
Good third-grade level book about a competitive science fair. The writing is engaging, and I found the main character both likable and entertaining. Issues covered: competition and friendship. Good insight into the joy of learning because science is interesting. Both the content and reading level are appropriate for basic 3rd grade, but the story is entertaining enough that it would satisfy better readers.
Lindor Joelle
My 3rd grader and I still have have "mommy and me" reading time together and it's one of my favorite times of the day. We both thoroughly enjoyed this story. There were moments of laughter, suspence and, of course, the required "moral" or two hidding within the pages. I've already promised to pick up the next book "Teacher's Pet" and mommy may be more excited than the 8 year old!

Highly recommended
Hideyuki Takahashi
5/9 20min 5/10 20min 5/11 20min

school - smart - prize - computer - hunter - science - secret

When you were elementary school student, what did you do?
I often practiced piano and swimming.

I did not like this book because it is not interesting. However, I remembered my elementary school days.
Cassie
I read this book in two days. I thought it was pretty good but, it was king of easy for me. It was not the best book I have ever read from Andrew Clements, but, it was still pretty good. I think people from ages 8-12 should read it if they like Andrew Clements.
Doris
Great basic chapter book perfect for my 7 and 8 year old.
Maryanne
I'm reading this series in my quest for books appropriate for 2nd graders. This definitely fits the bill. I liked the themes of cooperation, competition, and friendship.
Lori
Although a bit advanced for my 5 year old. He loved it and was as interested in the battery science experiment story line as the friendships.
Kristina
Feb 17, 2008 Kristina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd grade and higher
I love Andrew Clements books already and this is a good one for beginning chapter book readers. He has a great way of making a point.
Sophie Muller
Another great book portraying Jake at school! Beautiful storyline about winning, friendship and having fun! I highly recommend it!
Nicole
I had to read this with my 8 year old for a school assignment.
Kristin
Cute story to read to your kids. Fast easy read, about thirty minutes. Great message about being a good friend.
Gina
This would make a cute read aloud to 3rd or 4th graders. It would an easy way to introduce the scientific method.
Dan
A story about friendship, competition, and not letting others' actions or words change you for the worse.
Ruth
Another great Jake Drake Book - this time about a science fair project.
Ben
Jul 19, 2014
Laura added it
Jul 03, 2014
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
JoAnn
JoAnn marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kaila
Kaila marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
I was born in Camden, New Jersey in 1949 and lived in Oaklyn and Cherry Hill until the middle of sixth grade. Then we moved to Springfield, Illinois. My parents were avid readers and they gave that love of books and reading to me and to all my brothers and sisters. I didn’t think about being a writer at all back then, but I did love to read. I'm certain there's a link between reading good books an...more
More about Andrew Clements...
Frindle Things Not Seen (Things, #1) No Talking The Report Card The School Story