The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags [With Pattern(s)]

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The ultimate practical guide to sewing fabulous bags from expert Lisa Lam Detailed photographs illustrate every technique in this unique book, from choosing fabric to inserting fastenings

Expert tips, trade secrets and inspirational advice result in professional and beautiful results

A capsule wardrobe of eight exclusive designs features easy-to-follow instructions and full-...more
Published September 1st 2010 by David & Charles Publishers

Mo Tipton
I've just finished making the Multi-Tasking Tote, which, from a newbie sewer's perspective, was a rather complicated project. Lam's instructions are super clear and easy to follow, though, and there are a good deal of photos (although in a few instances, I could have used a few more for clarification). I'm so pleased with the finished bag, and the construction seems really sturdy and built to last.

There are a lot of different bag styles included here that I can actually imagine myself using--lo...more
Kate
I got The Bag Making Bible for Christmas, and having a spare couple of days last week set myself the rather scary goal of making my first bag from the book. I'm a pretty novice sewer/seamstress, with an ancient sewing machine and not very much technical knowledge, so I was pretty daunted by the task that I set myself. I didn't start with one of the "easy" bags, but launched into "The Organised Office Bag" with a beautiful 50s/60s print fabric that I had bought in a factory seconds shop.

At first...more
Janine
I love this book, it was the first time I had followed patterns and Lisa's instructions made it really easy. The skills are transferable so once you have made a few of the bags you are ready to adapt and design your own bags. The finished products look good. The bags are time consuming, there are no short cuts but you get what you put in.
Vanessa
Feb 02, 2013 Vanessa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginners
Shelves: craft-books, buy
I borrowed this book from my local library as I wanted to see what it was like before buying it.

I thought the different sections of the book describing the different techniques for bag making were really good.

I appreciated the way the book referred back to sections instead of repeating the same instructions for the projects.

I didn't have the book long enough to use it to make a bag, but even reading through the book I think that a few diagrams in the instructions for each bag would be helpful.

Al...more
Mandi
What an awesome, awesome book! Absolutely love every purse and bag in it and can't wait to begin making them. All kinds of color photos to illustrate the different steps and techniques, which is a must for this visual-learner and beginner level student. As the description says - it is way more than a set of patterns for a handful of different bags - it is loaded with all kinds of ideas and instructions for how to customize your bag. Fun, fun, fun!
Liz
I checked this book out of the library and while I didn't like any of the bag projects, I do think it would make a good reference book on how to create your own bags. There are great instructions on how to make different types of pockets and lining. Right now, my brain needs a pattern, perhaps when the kids get older...
Trevor Lockwood
It is helping me as I set off to make my first bag with my new sewing machine. Need to master skills before Christmas. It is clear, well illustrated and has a reasonable selection of styles. The author uses the as a guide to design and techniques and does not expect her bags to be slavishly copied. Enjoyable and useful
J
Lisa Lam is incredibly gifted at providing clear, detailed, unambiguous pattern-making directions. She can easily turn any complicated project into a hassle-free, inspiring and creative experience.

Her book is as warm and personable as her blog. She is a treasure and a delight!!!
Lisa
So far I have only given this a quick read and I am impressed with all the information that will allow me to make a bag of my own choosing. There are many choices of pockets, handles, closures, etc. I haven't tried to follow any instructions yet so I'm not sure if they are clear yet.
Julia
I havn't done any of the projects in the book yet, but I really like all the projects & the detailed instructions. I'm looking forward to working with it soon.
Nora
This book is the equivalent of several patterns & may be one of those books I NEED to own--just to have it on hand! Especially loved the overnight bag.
Kelley (Against GR Censorship)
I appreciate the comprehensive step-by-step instruction of the nuts and bolts of creating any type of bag. Great reference.
Slmstanley
Worth every penny for the written-and-visual instructions on various techniques.
Maureen
Learned a lot of new bag making skills that I plan on using on future bags.
Laureen Cutrona
very informative... good ideas.
Nada
Nada marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Toni
Toni added it
Jul 23, 2014
Patty R.
Patty R. marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Cassandra Shepherd
Cassandra Shepherd marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Sew & Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Fabric Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • The Colette Sewing Handbook: Inspired Styles and Classic Techniques for the New Seamstress
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker: 12 Quilt Projects
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Doodle Stitching: the motif collection
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated
  • Cute Stuff: Let's Make Cute Stuff By Aranzi Aronzo!
  • Couture Sewing Techniques
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
A Bag for All Reasons The Bag Making Bible 3 Beautiful Bags Trendige Taschen: Einfach selbst genäht Sweet Halter Top Pattern: Designer Clothes for Children