Start by marking “The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags” as Want to Read:
The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags

The Bag Making Bible: The Complete Creative Guide to Sewing Your Own Bags

The ultimate practical guide to sewing fabulous bags from expert Lisa Lam Detailed photographs illustrate every technique in this unique book, from choosing fabric to inserting fastenings.

Expert tips, trade secrets and inspirational advice result in professional and beautiful results.

A capsule wardrobe of eight exclusive designs features easy-to-follow instructions and ful
Published September 1st 2010 by David & Charles Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Bag Making Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bag Making Bible

JayeL
Nov 21, 2014 JayeL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, craft, 2014
I have an idea to make the perfect work bag. I haven't yet found a pattern out there, but with the right knowledge of techniques and an ok pattern, I can probably make something that will work.

After reviewing Big City Bags by Sara Lawson, I put the book in my database (I am a librarian after all!). In the course of testing the records and the search results, I came across Lisa Lam's The Bag Making Bible and had to look through it for more ideas.

If you have this book and Big City Bags, you have e
Kate
Feb 18, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
I got The Bag Making Bible for Christmas, and having a spare couple of days last week set myself the rather scary goal of making my first bag from the book. I'm a pretty novice sewer/seamstress, with an ancient sewing machine and not very much technical knowledge, so I was pretty daunted by the task that I set myself. I didn't start with one of the "easy" bags, but launched into "The Organised Office Bag" with a beautiful 50s/60s print fabric that I had bought in a factory seconds shop.

At first
S
Jan 20, 2016 S rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to learn how to make bags, this is THE book! I'd give it more stars if I could! I've been obsessively designing bags since 2011 & this book got me started.
Melissa
Mar 09, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
I've just finished making the Multi-Tasking Tote, which, from a newbie sewer's perspective, was a rather complicated project. Lam's instructions are super clear and easy to follow, though, and there are a good deal of photos (although in a few instances, I could have used a few more for clarification). I'm so pleased with the finished bag, and the construction seems really sturdy and built to last.

There are a lot of different bag styles included here that I can actually imagine myself using--lo
Vanessa
Feb 02, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginners
Shelves: craft-books, buy
I borrowed this book from my local library as I wanted to see what it was like before buying it.

I thought the different sections of the book describing the different techniques for bag making were really good.

I appreciated the way the book referred back to sections instead of repeating the same instructions for the projects.

I didn't have the book long enough to use it to make a bag, but even reading through the book I think that a few diagrams in the instructions for each bag would be helpful.

Al
Mandi
May 16, 2011 Mandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mandis-shelf
What an awesome, awesome book! Absolutely love every purse and bag in it and can't wait to begin making them. All kinds of color photos to illustrate the different steps and techniques, which is a must for this visual-learner and beginner level student. As the description says - it is way more than a set of patterns for a handful of different bags - it is loaded with all kinds of ideas and instructions for how to customize your bag. Fun, fun, fun!
Liz
Nov 16, 2010 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: craft_sewing
I checked this book out of the library and while I didn't like any of the bag projects, I do think it would make a good reference book on how to create your own bags. There are great instructions on how to make different types of pockets and lining. Right now, my brain needs a pattern, perhaps when the kids get older...
Janine
Apr 20, 2014 Janine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-goodreads
I love this book, it was the first time I had followed patterns and Lisa's instructions made it really easy. The skills are transferable so once you have made a few of the bags you are ready to adapt and design your own bags. The finished products look good. The bags are time consuming, there are no short cuts but you get what you put in.
dawn
Sep 08, 2016 dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bag making bible

Love this book very detailed with lots of information on all the material's you can use for bag making and how to change the pattern to your own design and you also get the patterns for the bags in the book which are all gorgeous everything explained so its easy yo understand with photo images for guidance
Trevor Lockwood
Oct 27, 2014 Trevor Lockwood rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
It is helping me as I set off to make my first bag with my new sewing machine. Need to master skills before Christmas. It is clear, well illustrated and has a reasonable selection of styles. The author uses the as a guide to design and techniques and does not expect her bags to be slavishly copied. Enjoyable and useful
Juliana Haught
Sep 30, 2015 Juliana Haught rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, sewing
So many wonderful bag projects to make! The pictures are good, the bags look to be well-made and cute - the instructions are good, but not fabulous, as they're a little hard to visualize, but still solid. There are a lot of nice tips for making your bags your own and for finishing techniques to make your sewing look really spiffy. I can't wait to try out making some of these bags!
Lisa
Apr 15, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
So far I have only given this a quick read and I am impressed with all the information that will allow me to make a bag of my own choosing. There are many choices of pockets, handles, closures, etc. I haven't tried to follow any instructions yet so I'm not sure if they are clear yet.
J
Feb 23, 2012 J rated it it was amazing
Lisa Lam is incredibly gifted at providing clear, detailed, unambiguous pattern-making directions. She can easily turn any complicated project into a hassle-free, inspiring and creative experience.

Her book is as warm and personable as her blog. She is a treasure and a delight!!!
Denise
May 31, 2016 Denise rated it it was ok
Shelves: sewing-projects
Loved a few of the patterns in this book. The reversible purse on the front with flower closure, the clutch, the totes. Great ideas, but not sure the styles are for me. I like the reversible purse, the weekender and the 10 pocket tote. Easy to follow patterns with lots of pictures.
Raenel Salandy
Apr 16, 2015 Raenel Salandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word excellent

If you are into bag making......then this is the book for you. Lots of ideas, patterns and pictures. Clutches to travel bags.....this book has well explained projects that anyone can try. This book is a treasure and a must-have.
Angela
Sep 01, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts, read-2014
Nice little craft book all about bag making. I'll be attempting the multi-tote bag soon, once I've been to the fabric store.
Dilly Dalley
Dec 25, 2015 Dilly Dalley rated it really liked it
I loved that this book took the approach that a handmade bag could still look fabulous and not homemade.
Julia
I havn't done any of the projects in the book yet, but I really like all the projects & the detailed instructions. I'm looking forward to working with it soon.
Kelley
Jul 22, 2014 Kelley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfic-crafts
I appreciate the comprehensive step-by-step instruction of the nuts and bolts of creating any type of bag. Great reference.
Nora
Dec 20, 2013 Nora rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, sewing
This book is the equivalent of several patterns & may be one of those books I NEED to own--just to have it on hand! Especially loved the overnight bag.
Amelia Ozaez
Amelia Ozaez rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2014
Sharon L. Gilman
Sharon L. Gilman rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Anniessa
Anniessa rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2015
Teighlor Johnson
Teighlor Johnson rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Amy Januszewski
Amy Januszewski rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2011
Chelsea Kasnoff
Chelsea Kasnoff rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear
  • Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Sew Pretty Homestyle
  • The Colette Sewing Handbook: Inspired Styles and Classic Techniques for the New Seamstress
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • One-Yard Wonders: 101 Sewing Projects; Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Yard of Fabric!
  • Sew & Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • Sew Retro: 25 Vintage-Inspired Projects for the Modern Girl & A Stylish History of the Sewing Revolution
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified