Start by marking “Death Wave (Deep Black, #9)” as Want to Read:
Death Wave (Deep Black, #9)

Death Wave (Deep Black #9)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Deep within the NSA is Desk Three, a top-secret unit of special operatives inserted into the field when the threat is great and the response demands sensitivity and invisibility. Charlie Dean, a former Marine sniper, is a senior officer. With his colleagues Lia DeFrancesca and newcomer Ilya Akulinin, they form the core of a high-tech team known as Deep Black.

Off the coast
Published February 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Wave

Canary Island Song by Robin Jones GunnLanzarote by Michel HouellebecqMore Ketchup Than Salsa - Confessions of a Tenerife Barman by Joe   CawleyThe Wind off the Small Isles by Mary StewartPoints of View by Tony  Thorne
Books Set in the Canary Islands
9th out of 19 books — 7 voters
Jurassic Park by Michael CrichtonExecutive by Leslie WolfeThe Chimera Vector by Nathan M. FarrugiaZero Defect by Aarohan AtwalThe Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton
Best Technothrillers Ever
463rd out of 480 books — 844 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheli Ellsworth
Coonts and Keith take international espionage and terrorism to a whole, new level. Set in Southern Asia and the beautiful Canary Islands, a high-tech US national security team, known as Deep Black, attempts to prevent a worldwide catastrophic nuclear, geological incident.

Operatives are told that ten, suitcase-size nuclear warheads have been stolen by the Russian Mafia. Their mission is to find the weapons before they are smuggled out of Central Asia. The authors manage to eloquently bundle: the
Barbara ★
Islamic terrorists along with a rogue ex-Chinese military guy is planning a geological terrorist attack that will cause thousand foot high waves that will decimate the Eastern seaboard of the United States. Black ops agents Charlie Dean, Ilya Akulinin and Lia DeFrancesca are deployed to various European countries to locate the missing nuclear weapons that will be used in this attack.

This is an exciting book with a plot that in theory could actually work which makes it a thriller with nasty impl
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Deep Black: Death Wave by Stephen Coonts and William H. Keith is the ninth book in the Deep Black military fiction series. Charlie Dean and his partner, Ilya Akulinin, are both field operators for the National Security Agency's Desk Three Deep Black operations. They have come to Tajikistan to locate twelve suitcase nuclear weapons, as well as figure out the targets for the use of the weapons.

Even though the action jumps around, Coonts and Keith have a header informing us of the location and the
Jerome
I've been a Stephen Coonts for a long time, immensely enjoying his novels about the Navy career of Jake Grafton. Jake and his people were believable and three dimensional, and you felt as if you'd know them if you ran into them on the street.
This thing, however, has the feel of being lifted directly from a comic book or a video game, with two-dimensional characters you feel absolutely nothing for. They are so smart, so perfect, so daring and efficient, that you soon realize nothing is going to h
Ed
This book reads like an Xbox video game or a bad Steven Segal movie. The plot is thin easy to follow the dialogue paint by numbers and the outcome predictably constructed. It is then perfect for switching your brain off and reading on the beach, where the many distractions around you can happily keep pulling you away from the story without you ever having to worry about loosing track. I read 300 pages in one day, that's how easy to read and digest it is.

Suspenseful scene follows suspenseful sce
Joy
At first I though I wouldn't be able to understand because of the technical jargon of various type secret service agents and I read the first 5 pages and put it down. The next day I began reading again and realized that Coonts does an excellent job of explaining the jargon to me and the more I read the more excited I got by the story and the movement. Not for the feint of heart but definitely not bloody gore either. Written realistically and moves fast. I loved it. The characters are well develo ...more
Bernie Davis
I often pick up books at random - in the excellent "new section" of The superb Marpole branch of the wonderful Vancouver Public Library - one of the great institutions in this very special city. My note beside the book has a check, which means it was an easy, enjoyable read. But, if I said, I can't really remember what it was about exactly - well, there you have it. There are many books like that. Still, some books are worth a gander just for their entertainment value - and evidently Stephen Coo ...more
Lee
The latest Deep Black book finds them trying to stop a group of Muslim Terrorists from detonating nuclear bombs in the Canary Islands as they believe this will unleash a Tsunami which will wipe out the Eastern Seaboard. While scientist disagree on how much damage will happen Deep Black jumps into action to stop the event from ever happening. OK read.
Ralph
My first by Coonts. I am a fan of this genre but I found this one to be a bit tedious. So, I liked the plot and I liked most of the characters but there was way too much military mumbo jumbo about each op.
Kurt Young
Stephen Coonts is one of my favorite authors. "Under Siege" is an absolutely FANTASTIC book. My first book of the "Deep Black" series sold under his name was disappointing.

I have no idea how much of the writing Coonts did, and how much his co-author did, (William Keith) but "Death Wave" was not very good, leading me to believe this "partnership" was heavily slanted towards Keith writing.

There's no depth to the characters, nor tension to their situation. They're successful in every instance.

The p
Greer Andjanetta
Yet another story of a secret US Counterintelligence group (disliked by the usual NSA, FBI, DHS Depts) which is trying to foil yet another Muslim attack on the US, this time by creating a tidal wave to inundate the East Coast by exploding a series of suitcase nukes in the Canary islands to create a massive tidal wave. The book is interesting enough with its somewhat unique plot, well-enough written to be readable with enough technical detail to give it the appearance of reality.

(One cannot help
Stuart
Good idea but disappointing in execution.
Elyse
Another classic in the Deep Black series.

Interesting concept in terms of terrorists using technology to create what seems to be a natural disaster. I have wondered whether some terrorist organizations might attempt something like this. So, realistic in this sense.

I also like that the main characters are reflective and self-critical with respect to politics, religion, and more. Brad Thor could take a lesson from this on tempering his increasingly non-self-critical and non-reflective right-wing ex
Jim
Feb 19, 2014 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jim by: Previous novel.
Another good novel.
Leo
NSA agents are hunting for 12 suitcases containing nuclear devices in Tajikistan. The nukes were shipped but intercepted by pirates. A USA ship came to rescue with NSA agents on board and they only found 2 of the suitcases. The rest were in the island of La Palma where the bad guys were drilling to plant the devices cutting the island in half producing a sunami effect that would engulf the entire east coast. The plot flows with sometimes unreal action but very entertaining.
Rod
Not great, ok read,a little hokey. His earlier stuff was better. Must be running out of ideas.
Mary
This was OK for me, however, if you are into the secret/special ops and CIA agents going into secret missions this is the book for you and series for you. The only part I didn't like was all the miliary jargin and lingo. If I knew more about the kinds of guns or special things used in these type of operations I may have been able to get into the book more. It was good, but this would be something easier for me to watch as a movie vs. reading in a book.
Rick Fisher
2.5 stars...one of my least favorite Stephen Coonts novels...nowhere near as good or exciting as the amazing stories with Tommy Carmellini as the hero.
I slogged through this one. It seemed like forever before things got moving. Im wondering if maybe Mr. Keith had more of a hand in this one than SC. Recommend only to the hard core Coonts fans...lector caveo...prepare to be disappointed.
John
Great read especially if you love espionage style books. Great page turner and enjoyed the fine details of the characters. weapons and geography that go into making this book. Will definitely be reading more of Stephen Coonts books
Larry
Your basic Coonts, not great, interesting and yet yet a bit on the shallow end of the pool. This is the first and apparently most recent of the Deep Black series I've read. The library here doesn't have any others, and since this is good enough to borrow for free but not buy, I suspect the last of the series I'll read.
Larry
I had actually read this book earlier this year. A very interesting story. Coonts is a good writer with his beginnings during the Vietnam War. He is an ex Navy pilot. If you are looking for a new author to read I highly recommend his books, which are primarily military oriented.
Marcia
When radical Islamic terrorists and a rogue element of the Chinese government plot a geological attack on a major fault line, Lia travels to Berlin to infiltrate a ruthless billionaire's operation at the same time a best-selling author is assassinated.
Stephen
This is the first book from Stephen Coonts that I have read. It was like a lot of other spy thrillers that I have read but that is not a bad thing. I liked the characters and some of thier flaws. I plan to read some of the other Deep Black books.
E.R. Yatscoff
Super duper agents from NSA try to stop suitcase nukes from being deployed by Pisslamists and a Chinaman from causing a huge tsunami. Lots of gear and gadgets and 'just-in-time' heroics. But it kept my interest.
Jeff Crosby
Nothing special here. This is a pleasant read if you are a fan of the series, but the plot is predictable. Alistair Maclean did it better in Goodbye California over 30 years ago. There are better books in this series.
Mary Ann
An interesting combination of espionage and earth science. It has been years since I've read a Stephen Coonts novel and I still enjoy his story telling. Another audio book making it possible to multitask.
Jayme VA
This book was pretty good for what it was. My dad would say it had a lot of yippy bang yippy. It definitely kept me entertained and the story was certainly well thought out.
Don Weidinger
Sci-Fi thriller of plan to cause tsunami through use of suitcase nukes at volcano near fault line.
Lynn
Now that I have read this great book. I have to start with the first Deep Black.
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Tiger's Claw (Patrick McLanahan, #18)
  • The Outlaws
  • Wild Card (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #8)
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)
  • The Hunted (Tom Clancy's EndWar, #2)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Deep Black (9 books)
  • Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)
  • Biowar (Deep Black, #2)
  • Dark Zone (Deep Black, #3)
  • Payback (Deep Black, #4)
  • Jihad (Deep Black, #5)
  • Conspiracy (Deep Black, #6)
  • Arctic Gold (Deep Black, #7)
  • Sea of Terror (Deep Black, #8)
Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton, #1) Under Siege (Jake Grafton, #5) Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #3) Deep Black (Deep Black, #1) America (Jake Grafton, #9)