Start by marking “The Tourist Trail” as Want to Read:
The Tourist Trail
Preview

The Tourist Trail

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  38 reviews
"The Tourist Trail is at once a romance, an adventure story, an environmental polemic, and a keen study of just how animalistic humans are." — Phoebe Literary Journal

"The Tourist Trail by John Yunker is an exciting, thoughtful, intelligent, and extremely well-written eco-thriller." — The Literary Lioness

An IndieReader Discovery Award Winner

"This eco-thriller is a plausible
Published (first published June 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Tourist Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tourist Trail

Diary of a Dieting Madhouse by Paige SingletonOut of Breath by Blair RichmondThe Tourist Trail by John YunkerThe Dragon Keeper by Mindy MejiaBlack Beauty by Anna Sewell
Best eco-fiction
3rd out of 62 books — 40 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussDouble Bind by Seb KirbyMagic America by C.E. MedfordProdigal Summer by Barbara KingsolverWatership Down by Richard Adams
Eco-Fiction
12th out of 155 books — 176 voters

More lists with this book...

Al
As a rule I read nonfiction to learn. Fiction is for entertainment. In “The Tourist Trail” I found what I wanted and expected. It contains adventure. There are characters you’ll quickly start caring about and a lot of conflict to overcome. You’ll find plenty of romances to spice things up. All the elements of a good thriller are here and, if that’s what you’re looking for, you should come away satisfied.

Fiction, however, can also teach you things that nonfiction can’t. It can help you understand
John Yunker
Jul 15, 2010 John Yunker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book. I love this book.
Barbara
Finally! A cool story about "eco-terrorists" that's well written. Great plot, fascinating setting,and very well-written characters with strong personalities that ring very true. Plus, it has penguins in it!
Jael
I confess, I am guilty of judging books by their cover. The cover of The Tourist Trail is quiet and unassuming. A bunch of penguins coming out of their perches in the ground, doesn't scream "ADVENTURE" to me. Glad to know I was wrong.

Biologist Angela Haynes lives in her own little world. She spends her days at a research station--The Tourist Trail-- in Patagonia counting and observing the behaviors of penguins. Angela lives in a world with little human contact or deep human relationships. She ha
John M.
In my mind, good characters populate a good book. Yunker has drawn some memorable characters...individuals who admit and understand their flaws, who indulge their self-doubts, who interact imperfectly with others and display all the frailties and strengths of human beings. It's easy to connect with them, to both empathize and sympathize with them, to admire them and to loathe them.

The Tourist Trail offers eco-terrorism suspense, interpersonal conflict, conflicting emotions and high seas action.
Marty Essen
A few weeks back I searched Amazon.com, looking for something out of the ordinary to read. Eco-fiction? Amazon doesn't have such a category! Fortunately, John Yunker's gem, "The Tourist Trail," found its way onto my computer screen.

I love fiction that holds your interest, with a compelling plot, but also contains enough reality to be informative. The Tourist Trail does that and more.

From a personal standpoint, I could relate to this book. This was especially true when one of the characters was t
Gmr
Jul 04, 2011 Gmr rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult readers
Recommended to Gmr by: John Yunker
This novel ties together the beauty of nature with the reality that is life in all its raw splendor. The bulk of the events occur in Patagonia at the Penguin Research Station, both are places that actually exist too (check out The Penguin Project for details on the penguin census the author took part in...the link to which is available on his site at www.thetouristtrail.com). Here we find biologist Angela Haynes following her passions and working with the local penguin population when a stranger ...more
Brie Eccles
I wasn't as imprssed by this book as I wanted to be. It had a very negative depressing undertone that had nothing to do with the subject matter (animal rights, activists, sea animals in danger, etc). I had hoped it would be more of a popular science book (with maybe a romance thrown in?) but I quickly got confused by the layout of the book. By the end I'm STILL asking who's who and questioning who's really dead and who's not. A lot of unanswered questions, but not in a good way.
Naulayne Raiche Enders
When I read the book description for this book one of the statements was that it would change the way you viewed the ocean. Even with my background in biology, I can say that was a very true statement. The descriptions of whale hunting today were very graphic. The book gives a great view of arctic life especially of penguins and whales and wraps it in a story of following your beliefs and passions. The last quarter of the book was riveting.
Sandi
Since I love books with animal themes and I love a good romance, this book was a great combination of the two and a great escape! I would especially recommend this book to people who are passionate about animal rescue. It's thought provoking in what a person is willing to give-up in order to pursue their passion/life's work.
Jeanne
Really loved this book. The characters are flawed but normal, and entirely likable. The author's little lessons on the vegan lifestyle and big lessons/messages on animal rights activists were engaging and even persuasive. All in all, it was a good read!
Alison Madden
Loved it. Exciting and different. I loved learning about the penguins, and appreciate the fact that author is so knoweldgeable about his subject and can raise awareness of the penguins' plight. An exciting read, with some romance thrown in for good measure!
Judi Moore
This dares to be different. It is an adventure story and a romance (a couple of romances, actually) wrapped up in a setting that does not have its own genre (or not yet anyway): conservation.

Inter alia, two different methods of conservation are brought into focus: the rather bleak life of the naturalist who counts, tags and avoids emotional contact with Chinstrap penguins, and the rather bleak life of the saboteurs who put their own boats between whales and other marine life and the big factory
Annie
Firstly the silly sentimentality and token trivia about the penguins throughout the book annoyed me. If I want to learn about penguins I'll watch David Attenborough. I also thought Aeneas was a bit of an asshole with an inflated ego. Angela is an antisocial and silly woman for reasons that are apparent in the 'novel'.

The romance in the book isn't that exciting as the emotional reactions of the characters are underdeveloped.

The book is set in beautiful and wild Patagonia and on the seas around t
Shel
A quick, clean read this romantic, eco-thriller tells the story of an FBI agent on the hunt for a charismatic eco-terrorist with a backdrop of penguin research in Patagonia and direct action versus Japanese whalers in the Antarctic. Enjoyable plot which explores some unique situations and characters.

Of note: The author is a co-founder of Ashland Creek Press in Oregon, an independent press dedicated to publishing books with a worldview, and is forwarding EcoLit, interest in literature with enviro
glitrbug
Aug 07, 2010 glitrbug rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in animal rights, adventure, FBI stories
Recommended to glitrbug by: Kindle Nation Daily
Shelves: kindle
E.A. Lyons
The Tourist Trail was a great read. It's a story about how the natural world affects us and is affected by us. Thought-provoking and compelling.
The characters were engaging. I felt for all of them -- from Ethan, the computer guy to Angela, the scientist. It had some very sad moments and some hopeful ones.

I like how the author gave us different perspectives throughout the book -- sometimes we're in Robert's head; sometimes we're in Angela's, etc.

It's a quick read but not a light book. If you're
Julie Baker
Interesting insight into penguin life and the conservationist attitude towards them. I could've done with a little more character developement. I didnt like how quickly Angela and Aeneas' relationship evolved and fizzeled. It had the makings of something epic if we were allowed to latch onto them more. The same goes for Robert/Jake and Noa. That was so good. I wanted the reunion though. I think i got the chance to care more about them than A & A. All in all not bad.
Myra
So, this is marketed as an eco-thriller. Eh, maybe. I mean, there is a bit of thrill, but it is about the slowest thriller I've ever read. More a romance with some exciting parts. Not that it was all bad, but it was really just okay. Got a bit too preachy, even for this environmentalist. And the middle section where it suddenly jumped time and place was just dull and confusing.
Kathryn
I was pretty excited to receive this book as a gift for my donation to Our Hen House. It took a bit for the story to evolve and really grasp me, but once it did I LOVED IT! It was great having vegan characters, fighting the cause with so many beautiful animal references. It made me want to jump on a jet and fly away to somewhere remote where animals may need our protection.
Miriam
I am by no means a tree hugger so I felt like I was being preached to and chastised through much of the book. The story wasn't quite what I thought it would be from reading the synopsis. It was just ok. I didn't hate it but it isn't one that will probably make my read again list
Vicki Tyley
“Tourism, Gordon liked to say, was the true opiate of the masses; it fostered the illusion that people could escape.”

Slightly didactic at times, but an engrossing story all the same. Educational and entertaining. Well worth a read.
Stacey
I found this book to be very entertaining until the end...you are left without any real resolution. I do really appreciate how all of the characters were intertwined and felt that the author does a great job pulling it all together.
Karen
This was a great fictional account of those brave people that protect the wildlife of the oceans. A story that grabs you from the beginning, and never lets you go. A story of protecting penguins and whales, eccoterroism and romance.
Angel
I don't understand the reviews that don't like this book because of the penguins. What kind of person doesn't like penguins? I really enjoyed this book, even the preachiness. Now on to the next where I hope no animals die.
Lisa
Absolutely loved it... It drove straight into my heart as a biology major.. Dipping into every aspect of wildlife conservation with dead-on accuracy... Loved the twist!!
Mindy Mejia
A thrilling and enlightening ride to the ends of the earth. Yunker gives us characters that surprise, a plot that races, and a story that matters.
Jessica
An engaging story about wildlife conservation with some romance thrown in. I liked how the whole picture came together with a few different plots.
Meave
The unbearably strident environmental activists/neo-hippie white douchebags who have been waiting for their own John le Carré need wait no longer.
Cheryl
Kind of preachy but the scenery and penguins made it worthwhile to read.
Animal Book Club: Animal Rights in Fiction 1 7 May 15, 2013 11:48AM
  • Replica
  • Elizabeth's Secrets
  • The Tylenol Mafia: Marketing, Murder, and Johnson & Johnson
  • Virtual Strangers
  • Defiant Daughters: 21 Women on Art, Activism, Animals, and the Sexual Politics of Meat
  • Past Imperfect
  • Recovery (Nicci Beauvoir #2)
  • Angel
I am author of the eco-thriller The Tourist Trail and editor of the anthology Among Animals.
The Tourist Trail is a literary thriller about endangered species in the world's most remote areas, and those who put their lives on the line to protect them.

I am co-founder or Ashland Creek Press, a publisher devoted to environmental and animal rights books: ww.ashlandcreekpress.com.

I also write plays. Y
More about John Yunker...
Among Animals: The Lives of Animals and Humans in Contemporary Short Fiction Beyond Borders: Web Globalization Strategies The Savvy Client's Guide to Translation Agencies The Art of the Global Gateway: Strategies for Successful Multilingual Navigation the tourist trail