Start by marking “Born on the 4th of July” as Want to Read:
Born on the 4th of July

Born on the 4th of July

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Friendly Fire" by Jill Shalvis
Permanently injured on a black-ops mission, Cord Madden is furious at the world. Then Lexi McGowen reappears in his life to nurse him back to health. Little does he guess that she's about to reveal a whole new world to him, one touch at a time....

"The Prodigal" by Rhonda Nelson
When Rorie Beddingfield meets up with her first love, Chase Harris
Published July 1st 2010 by Harlequin Blaze (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Born on the 4th of July, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born on the 4th of July

Dina
Anthologies are "complicated" to rate as a whole, and this one is no exception. Born on the 4th of July contains 3 very uneven stories and I'm afraid my overall rating is going to hurt the one good story in the bunch, but c'est la vie...

Friendly Fire by Jill Shalvis (4 stars)
The best story in the book. Ms. Shalvis knows how to write likable characters (I loved Cord and Lexi), sexy and sometimes funny love scenes, and believable HEA. My only "problem" with this story was the small conflict near t
Auntee
Jun 29, 2010 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of hot military anthologies
I really liked this book, and I'm a bit surprised. I generally enjoy the Blaze line, but sometimes these anthologies leave me a bit unsatisfied. But not this one--I thought all three stories featuring military men were pretty good and well developed for their length. My favorite was probably the last one, Packing Heat by Karen Foley (and what an apt title--it was probably the hottest of the bunch!)

In Friendly Fire by Jill Shalvis, flirty, bold, kind and sexy young widow Lexi McGowen works as a f
UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva
I always have trouble reviewing novellas, because it's hard for me to really get into my thoughts and feelings without totally giving away the whole story. I've tried to strike a happy medium. Overall, this is the best Harlequin Blaze I've read, and I'm very happy to have found 3 new authors to sate my macho hero/military/romance suspense appetite.

Friendly Fire by Jill Shavis - 4.5/5 Stars

How horrible would it be to go from loving and being so, so good at what you do, to not being able to do i
Kathrynn
It was a stroke of luck that I just finished reading "The Ranger" by Rhonda Nelson and picked up "Born on the 4th of July" because it was around that particular holiday. The latter turned out to be the next story in the Men Out of Uniform series....

There were three short stories in this quick, sometimes hot, read:

Friendly Fire by Jill Davis

This was my favorite of the three. Long time friends, Cord and Lexi, heat things up after Cord returns home from Iraq, discharged from the military and badly
Sonyatchka
This book has three short stories, each starring a hero who’s in the military. Each story is entertaining enough, but Shalvis’ is my favourite.

I have to give this five stars for the Jill Shalvis story! I’ve never been disappointed by Shalvis yet, and in Friendly Fire she’s managed to create a complex, sexy and fun romance with an interesting hero and heroine in the space of only eight chapters.
Cord returns home to recover from bad injuries, and finds his friend, Lexi, in his shower. There’s alre
SheLove2Read
This is a Blaze anthology of military themed stories.

The first is "Friendly Fire" by Jill Shalvis and is a friends to lovers romance. I thought it was good but not great. The length, only 62 pages, most likely contributed to that feeling. 3 stars

"The Prodigal" by Rhonda Nelson was just ok. The entire story took place in 5 days time and I just didn't think the relationship between the hero and heroine had enough time under its belt to be real. The ending felt forced. 1.5 stars

"Packing Heat" by Ka
Judi
I don't usually like short stories just because if I really like the story, it's over before I know it and I'm left longing for more. But Born On The 4Th of July has a story written by Jill Shalvis and she is one of my favorite authors, so it was a no brainer that I was buying it - short stories or not. Her story, Friendly Fire did not disappoint. It was my favorite of the three and it was over way too quick - just what I was afraid of. I could have used a whole book about hottie Cord Madden! Th ...more
Kathi Sharp
Friendly Fire by Jill Shalvis: Cord Madden is furious at the world. Then Lexi McGowen reappears in his life to nurse him back to health.
The Prodigal by Rhonda Nelson: When Rorie Beddingfield meets up with her first love, Chase Harrison, she realizes there's no better time to find out what she's been missing.
Packing Heat by Karen Foley: Megan O'Connell's letters were the only thing that kept U.S. Marine sniper Matt Talbot sane while he was overseas.
*Ambushed by Vicki Lewis Thompson: Morgan O'
Friendly Fire by Jill Shalvis
4 stars
I begin all Jill Shalvis reviews with the mention that I am a fan and usually enjoy all her books.
I enjoyed the character interaction and the depth the characters for such a short story. And it was short. There was just enough time for the characters to expose their weaknesses, create some heat, and work out their issues. Cord is hot and Lexi is strong. Two great characters that would have been even better by a longer book, but this actually works out just rig
Hina
Friendly Fire by Jill Shalvis *** (3 Stars)

Permanently injured on black-ops mission, Cord Vladden is furious at the world. Then Lexi McGowen reappears in his life to nurse him back to health. Little does he guess that’s she’s about to reveal a whole new world to him, one touch at a time…

For me, this story was missing something that I really couldn't get into and probably the one that took me the longest to finish because it wasn't just absorbing me in, which is surprising since I love Shalvis's
Donna Alward
I saved this read for when I was flying – it was on my ereader and I love how I can take so many books on holiday and fit them all in my purse. And what a great way to while away a few hours!

I don’t read a lot of Blaze. Actually, my reading varies a lot so I don’t read a lot of anything in particular (except Romance in general). It’s been a while since I read one and I was really looking forward to it. And I love military heroes so that was already a plus before I even went to the first page.

Thi
Allison
The three stories had a similar thread running through them that helped to make the anthology cohesive. All three stories were quite steamy and things heated up quickly. They were all satisfying, though I would have liked a more conclusive ending on the middle story.
Holly
So far I've only read the Shalvis entry in this anthology.

I loved the way Josie took care of Cord. She gave him just what he needed to recover. She didn't smother him or baby him, but she didn't let him wallow in self pity either.

Cord was so sexy! I loved that he wasn't magically cured - either physically or mentally - during the course of the novel, but gently healed as time went on.

This was a sweet and sexy novel. Another winner from Shalvis.
Elaine
Be still my beating heart! What a great collection of 3 super HOT short stories!

These short stories or novellas, by three different authors, all featured soldiers or just- leaving military service vets, and their love interests.

Each story was fast-moving, and had likable characters. The captivating SUPER lust-worthy heroes will take your breath away, what fantasies are made of.

This is one worth re-reading!
Cassandra Carr
The first and third stories in this anthology were quite good, but the middle one I didn't even finish. The author used a character device to advance her plot, and it was so obvious I think I had a hand print on my face. If it weren't for how bad that story was this anthology would've gotten five stars from me.
Cursingmama
More of a short story than a novella so it is a bit of a victim of it's format. I loved the concept & as always it was well written...just could've used more story, more substance, which the format prevented.

I didn't read either of the other 2 stories in the book
Hannah
A good anthology of Loving-the-Soldier short stories. I feel as though the only one that really finished itself was Rhonda Nelson's. Enjoyable but I was left wanting.
Heather L
3-in-1 volumns can be a bit dicey at times, with one story being really good and the others so-so. These were all hits. Really enjoyed all three novellas in this book.
Natālija
Vote based on Jill Shalvis' & Rhonda Nelson's stories only. Very quick read. Maybe even to quick & rushed for my taste. Nelson's story I liked a bit more.
Dwi_eternity Lestari
one think i liked bout novella, its short story
and straigh to the point
so i can finished faster

and this book included sexy soldier too
Carrie
Friendly Fire by Shalvis was my favorite, but I enjoyed all three stories in this HQ Blaze for July 2010. Steamy fun. ;-)
Donna
I really liked Friendly Fire and Packing Heat. I didn't care for The Prodigal,it was depressing and not particularly credible.
Cecelia
Pretty good if you ask me. I love these shorter collections of stories because they're so action packed.
Marran
I like this alot..hot sizzling chemistry between characters along with sweet loving moment....
Lisa C
Ahhhh. Celebrating Memorial Day by reading smut about soldiers. What could be better?
M.J. Fredrick
I bought for the Jill Shalvis one, but loved the last two stories best!
Season
Good stories...just wanted a little more.
Bri
Jill's piece - 4 stars. The other two - 2 stars.
Michele Mack
Michele Mack marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • The Ranger
  • Better Naughty Than Nice: No Mistletoe Required\Her Secret Santa\Snug in His Bed (Harlequin Blaze, #507)
  • Hot-Blooded (Harlequin Blaze, #563)
  • SEALed and Delivered (Harlequin Blaze, #505) (Uniformly Hot!, #11)
  • My Fake Fiancee
  • Ripped!
  • Blazing Bedtime Stories (Once Upon A Bite / My, What A Big...You Have! / Sexily Ever After) (Harlequin Blaze #447)
  • Hotshot: Hotshot\Going For It (Uniformly Hot! #20)
  • Terms of Surrender (Harlequin Blaze) (Uniformly Hot!, #18)

Look for Jill's latest, ONE IN A MILLION, on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's website fo
More about Jill Shalvis...
Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)