Start by marking “Carnage on the Committee: A Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mystery” as Want to Read:
Carnage on the Committee: A Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mystery

Carnage on the Committee: A Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mystery (Robert Amiss #10)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When the chairperson of the prestigious Knapper-Warburton Literary Prize dies in suspicious circumstances, Robert Amiss (the token sane member of the judging panel) wastes no time in summoning Baroness "Jack" Troutbeck to step into the chair. Speculation that a killer may be targeting the judges worries the baroness not in the slightest-it's the prospect of immersing herse ...more
Published January 31st 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Carnage on the Committee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnage on the Committee

Kristen Powell
A great read! Katherine, will give it to you next time we go walking! I think you'll love it!
Robert Amiss in a member of the judging panel for the prestigious Knapper-Warburton literary prize when Lady Hermione Babcock – chairman of the judges – is found dead. Thanks to his intervention his old friend Baroness ‘Jack’ Troutbeck is asked to take over the panel. But it seems someone may have it in for the judges when another member of the panel is found dead in suspicious circumstances.

Enter Jim Milton and Ellis Pooley from Scotland Yard to investigate. I loved the characters in this book
My September TBR outside-the-genre choice was Carnage on the Committee by Ruth Dudley Edwards. It was ultimately greatly disappointing. Darn it. Two comments led me to read the book. The first, a compliment from the Daily Mail: “It’s always a pleasure to welcome another iconoclastic blast against the establishment from the pen of Ruth Dudley Edwards.” And secondly, the back cover description: “When the chairperson of the prestigious Knapper Warburton Literary Prize dies in suspicious circumstanc ...more
Ruth Dudley Edwards is the empress of snarky - and it's a very English snarkiness. It's intellectual, sophisticated, snobby, and elitist. I think she's very, very funny and her perspective is correct. However, if you aren't a snarky intellectual, you probably won't like her work. Too bad for you!
After a bit of a stumble with the previous book in the series, this was nicely done return to form. I loved the humor and the outrageously over the top characters who represented the worst of the literary establishment. Listened to the audio version which was read by Bill Wallis who did a great job with all the various voices.
This didn't work for me at all. I get that it was supposed to be funny - and there were amusing bits here and there - but it mostly read like a giant rant about political correctness that got very tiresome after awhile. The actual mystery rather faded into the background, and the solution came out of nowhere. It felt like the author neglected the plot in favour of getting yet another jab in at some completely unrealistic caricature of a character. It was quite disappointing after reading Corrido ...more
Feb 14, 2015 Will rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Will by: 90
The Troutbeck/Amiss team again sets out to uncover dirty work, while dissecting another realm of British society --- this time, what seems to be a thinly disguised version of the Booker Prize. No holds barred in portraying what C. S. Lewis called the "charientocrats".

And I take exception to the description of Amiss as the "token sane member". The popstar sounds eminently sane as she asks "You mean because it's popular, it can't be good?"
Just the usual read ... Spilling coffee because I can't put the book away time to put kettle on and crying with laughter. I love Jack so much if she wouldn't be complete if it wasn't for Amiss. What a pair. Attended committes of all sorts myself. A blessing they were not! Ruth Dudley Edwards tackles many different things she knows all about. To be so accurate yet so funny about it just shows how brilliant she is
D.A. Cairns
The best bit of this book was the confession letter written in first person by the killer in the last chapter before the epilogue. The rest of it I found annoying and I really only stuck with it because I wanted to know whodunnit. A cast of detestable, annoyingly eccentric characters and a talking parrot. I know this was meant to be funny but...maybe I just wasn't in the mood.
hysterically funny although poorly written. The character development is exquisite -- like a good Monty Python program, the zany cast keeps me searching for this author's books. Hard to find in Canada; worth pestering a friend who's travelling to england, to bring you some back. I'll swap you! I've got this one & "Murder in a Cathedral"
Enjoyed this book. The characters we wonderful, the setting so interesting (the literary world & awards committees), but the ending was a little disappointing. Like a modern, funnier Agatha Christie. Would be interested in seeing a TV series on the book series.
I found this unreadable as it was virtually all dialogue - might as well have been a play-script. Doesn't work as a novel, unfortunately.
Aug 21, 2007 John rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Ruth Dudley Edwards
Shelves: audiobook, lgbt
Bill Wallis does his usual job of reading, but I'd advise folks to start with the first book in the Robert Amiss series, not here.
A hilarious vision of literary prizes.
Cathy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
MSCOZY marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Erika is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Loisa added it
Mar 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
After being a Cambridge postgraduate, a teacher, a marketing executive and a civil servant, Ruth Dudley Edwards became a full-time writer. A journalist, broadcaster, historian and prize-winning biographer who lives in London, her recent non-fiction includes books about The Economist, the Foreign Office, the Orange Order and Fleet Street. The first of her ten satirical mysteries, Corridors of Death ...more
More about Ruth Dudley Edwards...

Robert Amiss (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)
  • The Saint Valentine's Day Murders (Robert Amiss, #2)
  • The English School of Murder (Robert Amiss, #3)
  • Clubbed to Death (Robert Amiss, #4)
  • Matricide at St. Martha's (Robert Amiss, #5)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Robert Amiss, #6)
  • Murder in a Cathedral (Robert Amiss, #7)
  • Publish and Be Murdered (Robert Amiss, #8)
  • The Anglo Irish Murders (Robert Amiss, #9)
  • Murdering Americans (Robert Amiss, #11)