Start by marking “Carnage on the Committee: A Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mystery” as Want to Read:
Carnage on the Committee: A Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mystery

Carnage on the Committee: A Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mystery (Robert Amiss #10)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When the chairperson of the prestigious Knapper-Warburton Literary Prize dies in suspicious circumstances, Robert Amiss (the token sane member of the judging panel) wastes no time in summoning Baroness "Jack" Troutbeck to step into the chair. Speculation that a killer may be targeting the judges worries the baroness not in the slightest-it's the prospect of immersing herse ...more
Published January 31st 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Carnage on the Committee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carnage on the Committee

Kristen Powell
Jul 13, 2009 Kristen Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read! Katherine, will give it to you next time we go walking! I think you'll love it!
Damaskcat
Jan 22, 2013 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Amiss in a member of the judging panel for the prestigious Knapper-Warburton literary prize when Lady Hermione Babcock – chairman of the judges – is found dead. Thanks to his intervention his old friend Baroness ‘Jack’ Troutbeck is asked to take over the panel. But it seems someone may have it in for the judges when another member of the panel is found dead in suspicious circumstances.

Enter Jim Milton and Ellis Pooley from Scotland Yard to investigate. I loved the characters in this book
Janet
Sep 19, 2012 Janet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My September TBR outside-the-genre choice was Carnage on the Committee by Ruth Dudley Edwards. It was ultimately greatly disappointing. Darn it. Two comments led me to read the book. The first, a compliment from the Daily Mail: “It’s always a pleasure to welcome another iconoclastic blast against the establishment from the pen of Ruth Dudley Edwards.” And secondly, the back cover description: “When the chairperson of the prestigious Knapper Warburton Literary Prize dies in suspicious circumstanc ...more
David Steven
Sep 25, 2014 David Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Dudley Edwards is the empress of snarky - and it's a very English snarkiness. It's intellectual, sophisticated, snobby, and elitist. I think she's very, very funny and her perspective is correct. However, if you aren't a snarky intellectual, you probably won't like her work. Too bad for you!
Sandi
After a bit of a stumble with the previous book in the series, this was nicely done return to form. I loved the humor and the outrageously over the top characters who represented the worst of the literary establishment. Listened to the audio version which was read by Bill Wallis who did a great job with all the various voices.
August
Aug 30, 2013 August rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This didn't work for me at all. I get that it was supposed to be funny - and there were amusing bits here and there - but it mostly read like a giant rant about political correctness that got very tiresome after awhile. The actual mystery rather faded into the background, and the solution came out of nowhere. It felt like the author neglected the plot in favour of getting yet another jab in at some completely unrealistic caricature of a character. It was quite disappointing after reading Corrido ...more
Will
Feb 14, 2015 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Will by: 90
The Troutbeck/Amiss team again sets out to uncover dirty work, while dissecting another realm of British society --- this time, what seems to be a thinly disguised version of the Booker Prize. No holds barred in portraying what C. S. Lewis called the "charientocrats".

And I take exception to the description of Amiss as the "token sane member". The popstar sounds eminently sane as she asks "You mean because it's popular, it can't be good?"
Roslyn
Just the usual read ... Spilling coffee because I can't put the book away time to put kettle on and crying with laughter. I love Jack so much if she wouldn't be complete if it wasn't for Amiss. What a pair. Attended committes of all sorts myself. A blessing they were not! Ruth Dudley Edwards tackles many different things she knows all about. To be so accurate yet so funny about it just shows how brilliant she is
D.A. Cairns
Nov 08, 2010 D.A. Cairns rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best bit of this book was the confession letter written in first person by the killer in the last chapter before the epilogue. The rest of it I found annoying and I really only stuck with it because I wanted to know whodunnit. A cast of detestable, annoyingly eccentric characters and a talking parrot. I know this was meant to be funny but...maybe I just wasn't in the mood.
Annette
hysterically funny although poorly written. The character development is exquisite -- like a good Monty Python program, the zany cast keeps me searching for this author's books. Hard to find in Canada; worth pestering a friend who's travelling to england, to bring you some back. I'll swap you! I've got this one & "Murder in a Cathedral"
Julie
Sep 16, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book. The characters we wonderful, the setting so interesting (the literary world & awards committees), but the ending was a little disappointing. Like a modern, funnier Agatha Christie. Would be interested in seeing a TV series on the book series.
Anne
Dec 31, 2013 Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I found this unreadable as it was virtually all dialogue - might as well have been a play-script. Doesn't work as a novel, unfortunately.
John
Aug 21, 2007 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Ruth Dudley Edwards
Shelves: audiobook, lgbt
Bill Wallis does his usual job of reading, but I'd advise folks to start with the first book in the Robert Amiss series, not here.
Delphine
A hilarious vision of literary prizes.
12ty
12ty marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Hennypenny
Hennypenny marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
David Warner
David Warner rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
David
David added it
Apr 05, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
SDobson
SDobson marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Perry
Perry rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2016
Meahgan
Meahgan marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 14, 2016
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Hilary
Hilary rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
MSCOZY
MSCOZY marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
After being a Cambridge postgraduate, a teacher, a marketing executive and a civil servant, Ruth Dudley Edwards became a full-time writer. A journalist, broadcaster, historian and prize-winning biographer who lives in London, her recent non-fiction includes books about The Economist, the Foreign Office, the Orange Order and Fleet Street. The first of her ten satirical mysteries, Corridors of Death ...more
More about Ruth Dudley Edwards...

Robert Amiss (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)
  • The Saint Valentine's Day Murders (Robert Amiss, #2)
  • The English School of Murder (Robert Amiss, #3)
  • Clubbed to Death (Robert Amiss, #4)
  • Matricide at St. Martha's (Robert Amiss, #5)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Robert Amiss, #6)
  • Murder in a Cathedral (Robert Amiss, #7)
  • Publish and Be Murdered (Robert Amiss, #8)
  • The Anglo Irish Murders (Robert Amiss, #9)
  • Murdering Americans (Robert Amiss, #11)