Start by marking “Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook ” as Want to Read:
Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook

Perl Testing: A Developer's Notebook

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Is there any sexier topic in software development than software testing? That is, besides game programming, 3D graphics, audio, high-performance clustering, cool websites, et cetera? Okay, so software testing is low on the list. And that's unfortunate, because good software testing can increase your productivity, improve your designs, raise your quality, ease your maintena ...more
Published July 21st 2005 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Perl Testing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perl Testing

Max Lybbert
Nov 08, 2012 Max Lybbert rated it really liked it
I bought this book for two reasons: to learn more about testing in general and to learn any Perl-specific secrets (e.g., http://modernperlbooks.com/mt/2009/04... ).

The book is very enjoyable. The general information on testing is easily applied in other languages. There is something of Perl secrets in the book (mainly modules I didn't know existed).

Overall, however, what stands out most is the long list of dirty tricks (e.g., adding entries to %INC to prevent the loading of a module, replacing t
Ali Al-Yassen
Aug 12, 2014 Ali Al-Yassen rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming
Arabic:
كتاب جيد عن كيفية كتابة الاختبارات للبرامج بلغة البرمجة بيرل. الاختبارات لا تحظى بالاهتمام المطلوب خاصة عند المبرمجين العرب . الكتاب عملي و تطبيقي و لا مجال للنظرية هنا.
Shannon Prickett
Apr 05, 2016 Shannon Prickett rated it it was amazing
Here's a metric: pages with corners folded for Relevant Applicability, 6. This is a book with tips for Perl used to test, even outside the scope of Perl code.
Fatih
Nov 25, 2013 Fatih rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
I've been perl coder for number of years and I've never written single line of test code to any of my perl scripts.

I recently involved in a project which required us to create number of components for automation and I was kind of wondering how things would be different if I've written tests for these components.

Then I found this book. I'm happy after reading it. It made me understand how easy to write tests for Perl code using its extensive test libraries.

So, anyone wants to get a kind of crash
Matt
May 31, 2014 Matt rated it really liked it
This is a good primer for getting into Perl testing.
Sopan
Apr 28, 2008 Sopan rated it really liked it
The unique book for Testing Eng. If you use Perl programming language as one of the tool for developing software application/any tool - you better go through this book if not exposed to any QA techniques.

In terms of books - only book which talks about testing using Perl modules.

Yup - there are some good slides available on slideshare.net which does talk about Test Driven Development.

This book was very useful for me when i had to work for Yahoo as a QA eng.

Árpád Szász
Jan 01, 2016 Árpád Szász rated it really liked it
Shelves: perl
It's a nice and hands-on introduction to Perl testing. Content is a bit dated though (published in 2005) and spends much time on technologies not really used anymore, like Apache mod_perl in the web testing section.

It would be nice to see a new edition covering modern Perl techniques and frameworks.
Jake
Jan 10, 2008 Jake rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone needing a brush up or quick read on PERL testing
Shelves: 2008, computing
I started reading this for work, and it was an actually enjoyable, albeit technical read.

The authors, Ian Langworth and chromatic approach the topic with both zeal and a deep technical understanding of the needs of people writing PERL code.

Apple84 Wylie
Aug 04, 2008 Apple84 Wylie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Apple84 by: Perl developers interested in test harnesses.
A no-nonsense approach for getting down the basics of testing with Perl. Reads and functions almost like a workbook. A must if you are working with large Perl projects that incorporate functional or unit tests.
Kevin Connery
Aug 25, 2009 Kevin Connery marked it as skipped
Shelves: non-fiction
Aimed at testing perl scripts, not testing using perl--that's why I didn't rate it. It might be good at what it's covering, but that wasn't what I was expecting.
Falsedan
Oct 12, 2010 Falsedan rated it liked it
Explains 'how to' well enough, bit low on the 'why'… it does admit to being a purely practical approach to testing in the introduction.
Jason Gessner
Jason Gessner rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Andrew Beaton
Andrew Beaton rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Tom
Tom added it
Jan 20, 2016
Kivanc
Kivanc marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Andrea Mascia
Andrea Mascia marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Vl
Vl marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Kiril Serebnik
Kiril Serebnik rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Taylor Fondren
Taylor Fondren marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Robert Chatman
Robert Chatman rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Jander
Jander rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Rich Viana
Rich Viana rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2015
Wesley
Wesley rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Ian Clark
Ian Clark rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Sean Schluntz
Sean Schluntz rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Jeremy Carman
Jeremy Carman marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Matt McCormick
Matt McCormick marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »