Start by marking “Funny Money (Tony Valentine #2)” as Want to Read:
Funny Money (Tony Valentine #2)
Preview

Funny Money (Tony Valentine #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When last we saw Tony Valentine -- former cop, lifelong misanthrope, and legendary catcher of casino cheats -- he was just coming up for air after a close brush with the afterlife in his first outing, the acclaimed Grift Sense.

This time around, it's personal. Tony Valentine's ex-partner Doyle Flanagan has been blown to pieces by a car bomb. Shortly before his death, Doyle
Published May 11th 2010 by Atria Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Funny Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funny Money

Book Concierge
Tony Valentine is a retired Atlantic City cop, now living in Florida where he runs a consulting business, helping casinos ferret out cheats and grifters. When his ex-partner, Doyle Flanagan, calls and asks Tony to take a look at a surveillance tape, he’s happy to help. But before their conversation is over Doyle is killed and now Tony is working for the casino boss who had hired Doyle.

This is book two in the series, though I don’t think I was missing much by having skipped book one. I liked the
Alex
FUNNY MONEY (Pub. 2002) by James Swain was a really great read. The cover flap dubs the author as the creator of a new genre, "casino noir", and after reading the book, I'd say that's an apt description.

I really enjoyed this one because it is a different read, and yet still follows the standard detective-mystery-thriller vein in many ways. The story is about a retired police detective, Tony Valentine, a 62-yr old man who lost his wife a couple years previously. He's taking a pension from the po
Addam
Funny Money
By: James Swain
Funny Money is a very interesting book what kept me reading was when Valentine’s best friend from the force was killed in a huge explosion which the people that planted the bomb was the people that were about to get caught so the planted a car bomb on Valentines best friend’s car. I would not recommend this book to anyone I thought that this book was poorly planned out. My favorite line from this book was “your just filled with ideas, and not conclusions!” If this book
Kara Jorges
Retired cop turned casino consultant Tony Valentine returns to his hometown of Atlantic City when his ex-partner is murdered. Doyle Flanagan had been investigating a group of casino cheats when a car bomb ended his life. Tony is hired almost immediately by the Bombay’s owner to take over the investigation, but things aren’t adding up. In addition, Tony’s ne’er do well son Gerry is being chased by some mobsters who want their $50,000, but Tony isn’t about to pay them. Things get really interestin ...more
Kellie
2nd in the Valentine Series. Pretty good. This one takes place in NJ and involves people close to Tony. " Tony Valentine has a gift for grift: He can walk into a casino and spot a cheater across a crowded floor. A man who still uses pay phones and won’t spend more than a buck for coffee, Tony has protected Atlantic City gambling palaces for twenty years and learned every trick of the trade—until a new one blows him away. With his old partner murdered in a bomb blast, Tony returns to A.C. to retr ...more
Ed
#2 in the Tony Valentine series. Tony is a retired Atlantic City cop and an expert on casino cheats.

Tony Valentine's ex-partner Doyle Flanagan has been blown to pieces by a car bomb. Shortly before his death, Doyle had been filling Valentine in on the details of his latest case -- an impressive $6 million blackjack scam at Atlantic City's legendary Bombay casino.Valentine determines that the only way to bring his friend's killers to justice is to crack the Bombay heist himself. But standing betw
Patrick
This is pretty grim stuff. Decent premise — Tony Valentine can spot the cheaters and makes his living doing so. Okay.

But we've got the scene in Florida and the old lady answering the phones and the dopey son and his cool fiancee who are tangled up with the mobsters oh and don't forget the female wrestlers and the martial arts guru and the hot lady wrestler and the casino tycoon and the three women he keeps ona a leash and the dead cop and the Serbs and the...

Jeez, enough already. Too much plot,
Dave
Rated 4 1/2 stars. Another good one in this series
Robert
Tony Valentine is back for another casino adventure. This time he will be investigating his former P.D. parteners death in Atlantic city. This is a great series for anyone interested in learning about casino cheats. The character Valentine is well versed in the trade and capable of digging deep enough to create a major s**t storm. And where one thread leads many more are sure to follow. Lots of action and good plot twists to keep the reader entertained to the very end.
Aynge
Clever plot, interesting, original characters and a fast read. I definitely want more Tony Valentine.
Susan
This is the second Tony Valentine. This is not a great book but something about it is really compelling. Maybe it's the characters. I don't know. I just know that even though it's terribly flawed, I still kept reading and enjoying. Tony Valentine is a retired detective who is a consultant to casinos who need help catching gambling crooks.
woody
Tony Valentine is a retired policeman and now a casino/gaming investigator. Murder of former police partner gets Tony investigating a casino in Atlantic City. Cheating is rampant, everyone it seems is in on it.
Not my favorite, best if skimmed...1 1/2 stars
Tom Park
Swain has me a bit confused. Having read "Grift Sense", I thought this was a sequel, but it reads like the first in a series of Tony Valentine novels. It is a good read that moves quickly and does not give away any answers until they are needed.
Matthew Cousens
Second installment in the Tony Valentine series. Makes me want to run to my nearest casino. Could be a TV series but I've always found the book to be better.
Rebekkila
Nov 17, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Skip
Tony Valentine is OK as a protagonist, catching cheaters. Liked the women's wrestling story line, but his relationship seemed stretched.
Kyle
Like the other books in this series the concept is interesting and I wanted to find out the solution but Swain is not a wordsmith.
Donna Fowler
I love going on an adventure with Tony Valentine and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series as fast as I can.
Harry Lane
Pretty standard mystery, but interesting for the details of casino gambling and those who cheat the system.
CD
florida author lives in Oldsmar. Tight little mystery.
Andrew
More of the same for Tony Valentine. Easy, enjoyable fare.
Hrn1947
tony is sharp. not bad mindless who done it.
Thomas
Thomas added it
Apr 13, 2015
  • South of Hell (Louis Kincaid, #9)
  • Last Shot (Tim Rackley #4)
  • A Drink Before the War/Darkness, Take My Hand
  • Hear No Evil (Jack Swyteck, #4)
  • Keeper
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • The Spy in the Ointment
  • Wildcase (Rail Black Novels, #2)
  • Inherit the Dead
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • Iron River (Charlie Hood, #3)
  • A Dead Red Alibi (The Dead Red Mystery Series #4)
  • Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry Series #1)
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
James Swain is the national best selling author of seventeen mystery novels, and has been published in twelve different languages. His books have been chosen as Mysteries of the Year by Publisher’s Weekly and Kirkus Reviews, and have received three Barry Award nominations, a Florida Book Award for Fiction, and France’s prestigious Prix Calibre .38 for Best American Crime Fiction. Born in Huntingto ...more
More about James Swain...

Tony Valentine (9 books)
  • Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1)
  • Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3)
  • Loaded Dice (Tony Valentine #4)
  • Mr. Lucky (Tony Valentine #5)
  • Deadman's Poker (Tony Valentine #6)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Jackpot (Tony Valentine #8)
  • Wild Card (Tony Valentine #0.5)
Midnight Rambler (Jack Carpenter #1) Grift Sense (Tony Valentine #1) The Night Monster (Jack Carpenter #3) Sucker Bet (Tony Valentine #3) The Night Stalker (Jack Carpenter #2)