Start by marking “The Leadership Code: Five Rules to Lead by” as Want to Read:
The Leadership Code: Five Rules to Lead by

The Leadership Code: Five Rules to Lead by

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  17 reviews
What makes a great leader?
It's a question that has been tackled by thousands. In fact, there are literally tens of thousands of leadership studies, theories, frameworks, models, and recommended best practices. But where are the clear, simple answers we need for our daily work lives? Are there any?
Dave Ulrich, Norm Smallwood, and Kate Sweetman set out to answer these ques
Published January 8th 2009 by Harvard Business School Press (first published December 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Leadership Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leadership Code

Mark
Apakah saat ini Anda merupakan seorang pemimpin – dalam tingkatan atau institusi apapun? Apakah Anda juga memiliki tanggung-jawab membina calon pemimpin baru? Jika jawaban atas salah satu atau bahkan kedua pertanyaan tersebut adalah "Ya", pernahkah Anda bertanya kepada diri sendiri: apakah saya seorang pemimpin yang baik?

Pemimpin yang baik adalah pemimpin yang efektif. Mereka memulai semuanya dari diri sendiri. Jika Anda ingin membangun budaya kepemimpinan di perusahaan, Anda harus menjadi mode
E
Five rules for becoming a leader

Dave Ulrich, Norm Smallwood and Kate Sweetman have accomplished an almost impossible task: sifting through the overwhelming amount of information and knowledge on the nebulous subject of leadership, and actually making sense of it. They synthesize their research into five essential rules they call the “Leadership Code.” They tell readers how to strategize, execute, involve employees, develop a base of talented people and how to grow as leaders. Filled with busines
Scott Wozniak
These guys are among the best researchers and consultants on leadership, so it's no surprise that their book is well grounded in real practice and a strong survey of all the facets of leadership. It's brief, mostly casting vision for what leadership should be and offering only a little on how to get there. Worth reading for any leader.
Roger Miller
In my humble opinion, not a leadership book but a book on management. This is a practical tool for setting the temperature of any organization. The words and formality make it a unwieldy tool.
DressageDancer ♥
Dave Ulrich, i really didn't know anything about him before reading this book. I accidentally came to learn about his talent in corporate Human Capital Development from our HR manager at work.

I got the book and started reading, realizing, that I’m lucky to get a recommendation about this beautiful HR guru, very informative, practical to work (enterprises) with the focus on change management and Talent.

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this book is to open new doors for Dave Ulrich to provide future
Sudhakar
Not a leadership book Rather it is management book intended for academic audience. Does not build on concepts gradually instead too much keywords and terminlogy employed all through. Not interesting to read..
Oyin
This book comes in really handy if you fall into the kind of leadership positions it targets. It focuses a lot on executives/managers and people in some sort of authority role.
They also provide very good ways (exercises inclusive) of looking at leadership and how a person can be an effective leader to others and themselves.

I found it a good read and a book I will keep on my shelf ready to re-read when I find myself in any such roles targeted in the book.
WR
Simple, yet strong messages. I particularly liked the fact that the last three of the five rules were about people:
(i) Engage today's talent.
(ii) Build the next generation
(iii) Invest in yourself.

So much as leadership is about setting direction and getting things done, it is even more often about getting the right people, helping them to grow and keeping them.
Jess
The principles of this book are high impact, but the way the book was written was something dreary. Perhaps I felt that way mostly because I do not have a business mind in my head. Audience is high-up business people in need of improving the leaders of their company, or improving themselves.
The authors are the co-founders for the company for which I work.
Joe Haack
This book is very difficult to rate because, on the one hand, it contains a very wise leadership paradigm (watch the video here http://www.leadershipcodebook.com to see what I mean). Yet on the other hand, the content is not as focused, and so not as transferrable to this reader. In my opinion, 95% of the pay-off for this book is in the first chapter.
Justine
Nothing earth-shattering, I'm afraid, albeit contains sufficiently good reminders throughout. The only term that really caught my attention is 'Action Learning'.
John
Has become my go-to recommendation for newly minted managers. A fantastic compendium of the essential elements of great leadership.
Paulo Limp
Thanks God it is finished. If I follow this book instructions I'm sure I'll never be a leader. It's impossible.
Ramy Khodeir
Interesting view on the behavior of a leader. And it also include some interesting leadership self assessment forms.
Indra Gunawan
A very concise and practical book about leadership
John Poikonen
Pharmacy Leadership Academy list
Jen
Good, easy to follow steps.
Iskandar Iskak
Iskandar Iskak marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Sumit Singla
Sumit Singla marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Olga Vasilevskaya
Olga Vasilevskaya marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Shoeb Hakeem
Shoeb Hakeem marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Magda
Magda marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • The Southwest Airlines Way
  • Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • Harvard Business Review on Making Smart Decisions
  • Mastering the Complex Sale: How to Compete and Win When the Stakes Are High!
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Post-Capitalist Society
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • The HR Scorecard: Linking People, Strategy, and Performance
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO
Human Resource Champions: The Next Agenda for Adding Value and Delivering Results The HR Value Proposition HR Transformation: Building Human Resources from the Outside in HR from the Outside In: Six Competencies for the Future of Human Resources The Why of Work: How Great Leaders Build Abundant Organizations That Win