Start by marking “The Leadership Code: Five Rules to Lead by” as Want to Read:
The Leadership Code: Five Rules to Lead by

The Leadership Code: Five Rules to Lead by

What makes a great leader?
It's a question that has been tackled by thousands. In fact, there are literally tens of thousands of leadership studies, theories, frameworks, models, and recommended best practices. But where are the clear, simple answers we need for our daily work lives? Are there any?
Dave Ulrich, Norm Smallwood, and Kate Sweetman set out to answer these ques
Published January 8th 2009 by Harvard Business School Press (first published December 9th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Leadership Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leadership Code

Mark
Mar 17, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fictions
Apakah saat ini Anda merupakan seorang pemimpin – dalam tingkatan atau institusi apapun? Apakah Anda juga memiliki tanggung-jawab membina calon pemimpin baru? Jika jawaban atas salah satu atau bahkan kedua pertanyaan tersebut adalah "Ya", pernahkah Anda bertanya kepada diri sendiri: apakah saya seorang pemimpin yang baik?

Pemimpin yang baik adalah pemimpin yang efektif. Mereka memulai semuanya dari diri sendiri. Jika Anda ingin membangun budaya kepemimpinan di perusahaan, Anda harus menjadi mode
E
May 11, 2009 E rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five rules for becoming a leader

Dave Ulrich, Norm Smallwood and Kate Sweetman have accomplished an almost impossible task: sifting through the overwhelming amount of information and knowledge on the nebulous subject of leadership, and actually making sense of it. They synthesize their research into five essential rules they call the “Leadership Code.” They tell readers how to strategize, execute, involve employees, develop a base of talented people and how to grow as leaders. Filled with busines
Ayush
Sep 06, 2015 Ayush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
As I venture into the world of startups from a corporate job, I look forward to implement best management practices, principles and value ethics in place. My previous organization went from being great to at the brick of falling in a matter of months and I saw the fall in person. There were reasons I could clearly see why this sudden catastrophe occurred there.
Now when I read this book, I was taken aback. The 5 competencies that the authors talk about in this book are just the aspects that made
DressageDancer ♥
Dave Ulrich, i really didn't know anything about him before reading this book. I accidentally came to learn about his talent in corporate Human Capital Development from our HR manager at work.

I got the book and started reading, realizing, that I’m lucky to get a recommendation about this beautiful HR guru, very informative, practical to work (enterprises) with the focus on change management and Talent.

I'm pretty sure the purpose of this book is to open new doors for Dave Ulrich to provide future
Oyin
Oct 05, 2011 Oyin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book comes in really handy if you fall into the kind of leadership positions it targets. It focuses a lot on executives/managers and people in some sort of authority role.
They also provide very good ways (exercises inclusive) of looking at leadership and how a person can be an effective leader to others and themselves.

I found it a good read and a book I will keep on my shelf ready to re-read when I find myself in any such roles targeted in the book.
Leticia
Divide em cinco dimensões para estabelecer o perfil do líder, baseado em pesquisas com centenas de CEOs. Elas fazem sentido, especialmente a divisão entre fomentador de capital humano e gestor de talentos, uma linha tênue nem sempre enxergada nas organizações - assim como o estrategista e o executor. Enxergar as cinco dimensões, e entender que a combinação delas o fará um líder melhor, parece um bom recado.
Scott Wozniak
Mar 24, 2015 Scott Wozniak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These guys are among the best researchers and consultants on leadership, so it's no surprise that their book is well grounded in real practice and a strong survey of all the facets of leadership. It's brief, mostly casting vision for what leadership should be and offering only a little on how to get there. Worth reading for any leader.
Jess
Jul 26, 2010 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The principles of this book are high impact, but the way the book was written was something dreary. Perhaps I felt that way mostly because I do not have a business mind in my head. Audience is high-up business people in need of improving the leaders of their company, or improving themselves.
The authors are the co-founders for the company for which I work.
Joe Haack
This book is very difficult to rate because, on the one hand, it contains a very wise leadership paradigm (watch the video here http://www.leadershipcodebook.com to see what I mean). Yet on the other hand, the content is not as focused, and so not as transferrable to this reader. In my opinion, 95% of the pay-off for this book is in the first chapter.
WR
Dec 04, 2009 WR rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple, yet strong messages. I particularly liked the fact that the last three of the five rules were about people:
(i) Engage today's talent.
(ii) Build the next generation
(iii) Invest in yourself.

So much as leadership is about setting direction and getting things done, it is even more often about getting the right people, helping them to grow and keeping them.
Sudhakar
Feb 01, 2015 Sudhakar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-dev
Not a leadership book Rather it is management book intended for academic audience. Does not build on concepts gradually instead too much keywords and terminlogy employed all through. Not interesting to read..
Justine
Oct 07, 2011 Justine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic
Nothing earth-shattering, I'm afraid, albeit contains sufficiently good reminders throughout. The only term that really caught my attention is 'Action Learning'.
Roger Miller
In my humble opinion, not a leadership book but a book on management. This is a practical tool for setting the temperature of any organization. The words and formality make it a unwieldy tool.
Mikhael De vera
Jun 01, 2015 Mikhael De vera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb! The Leadership Code model is simple and well researched. The amount of self-assessment tools is also very much present inclusive of competency ratings.
Rob
Sep 19, 2016 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides and excellent frame to think through for any leader who is concerned with getting things done and the people who get things done.
John
Jul 23, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has become my go-to recommendation for newly minted managers. A fantastic compendium of the essential elements of great leadership.
Ramy Khodeir
Sep 27, 2012 Ramy Khodeir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting view on the behavior of a leader. And it also include some interesting leadership self assessment forms.
Derek
Jun 30, 2016 Derek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend this book to form a leadership platform for any organization.

Leadership differentiator X Leadership code = leadership brand.
Paulo Limp
Thanks God it is finished. If I follow this book instructions I'm sure I'll never be a leader. It's impossible.
Jen
Nov 25, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, easy to follow steps.
Hog Blog
Hog Blog rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Des
Des rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Joyce Williams
Joyce Williams rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2011
Mohamed Fahmy
Mohamed Fahmy rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Derek O'connell
Derek O'connell rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Calum Mcneish
Calum Mcneish rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Pswan
Pswan rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2009
Iyad
Iyad rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Yes Factor: Get What You Want. Say What You Mean.
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • Career Warfare: 10 Rules for Building a Successful Personal Brand and Fighting to Keep It
  • The Power Principle: Influence With Honor
  • CustomerCentric Selling
  • The Southwest Airlines Way
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
  • Making Innovation Work: How to Manage It, Measure It, and Profit from It
  • Mastering the Complex Sale: How to Compete and Win When the Stakes Are High!
  • Harvard Business Review on Making Smart Decisions
  • A Passion for Excellence: The Leadership Difference
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Jack Welch & The G.E. Way: Management Insights and Leadership Secrets of the Legendary CEO
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • The HR Scorecard: Linking People, Strategy, and Performance
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
David Olson Ulrich is a university professor, author, speaker, management coach, and management consultant. Ulrich is a professor of business at the Ross School of Business, University of Michigan and co-founder of The RBL Group
More about Dave Ulrich...