Start by marking “Shanghai Girl” as Want to Read:
Shanghai Girl

Shanghai Girl

The Japanese-language edition of Vivian Yang's "Shanghai Girl" was first published in Japan in 2002 as "S.G. Shan Hai Gaaru". This 2011 U.S. edition features an excerpt of the author’s WNYC Leonard Lopate Essay Contest-winning new novel "Memoirs of a Eurasian".

In the post-Cultural Revolution Shanghai of 1984, university senior Sha-fei Hong longs to study in the U.S. for g
Published (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Shanghai Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shanghai Girl

Lori Henrich
Mar 06, 2012 Lori Henrich rated it it was ok
I was kind of bored with this story. I kept reading hoping that it would be more interesting, but it didn't.

The follows a young woman from Shanghai, China who wants to get out of her situation and go to America. Sha-fei Hong is not enjoying her life in China, so when she receives a letter from America addressed to her deceased father. She begins thinking about heading to America. Gordon Lou is a dubious character, but all Sha-fei sees is an answer to her dream of America.

The story alternates fro
Susan
Mar 28, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
This novel was fun and depressing at the same time. The male characters are all pretty unappealing, especially the white lawyer with the Asian fetish. The female characters are strong, but in the mid-1980s, they didn't have as many opportunities open to them as they would now. Still, it's a fresh look into the lives of Chinese immigrants in 1985 New York City and Shanghailanders back in the motherland. Things in China were just starting to change then and this book shows the good and the bad tha ...more
Debby
Jul 08, 2012 Debby rated it liked it
Quite an interesting book about a Chinese girl who moved to America to find herself, as well as to get away from an abusive step-father. Some icky situations that chug the story along, but don't necessarily need. I loved the main character. I cared where she ended up. I am certain I won't read anymore Vivian Yang knowing the style of her writing and where her stories end up...in the bedroom, a little too explicit for my tastes. If I wanted to read erotica I would. I don't want to!
Kathy
Jun 07, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-to-read
While it did show the trials and hardships of her life in Shanghai and the problems when she arrived in America, the book itself seemed like it went to press without editing. Maybe the actual printed copy was better than the Kindle version?
Rebekah
Feb 11, 2011 Rebekah rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-books
I was a big fan of this book. It seemed to be a lot of unneeded sex which I felt did not help further story.
Peggy Graves
Jun 28, 2013 Peggy Graves rated it did not like it
I wouldn't recommend this one just like others who have reviewed it. Some parts about life in Communist China were interesting, but I the story line is rather boring. Yawn
Amy Ostertag
Nov 07, 2011 Amy Ostertag rated it liked it
It was okay..not a favorite but an interesting perspective, as a young Chinese woman immigrated to the US.
Kathy Chung
Jan 22, 2015 Kathy Chung rated it really liked it
I find it interesting how a single lady like her managed to survive at such turbulent time.

plot was interesting and believable.

jiayoh!
Michele Delimont
Sep 26, 2012 Michele Delimont rated it it was ok
I don't think I would recommend this one. In the end she was a smart young woman but all the men around her just wanted into her pants.
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2012
Zasha Tejeda
Zasha Tejeda rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
Beth
Beth rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2012
Foxired
Foxired rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
Jana
Jana rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2012
Diane Long
Diane Long rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Erika Nixon
Erika Nixon rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Joan Driscoll
Joan Driscoll rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2014
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Carol Mcgarrity
Carol Mcgarrity rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Jennifer Boring
Jennifer Boring rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Anne Dotson
Anne Dotson rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2012
Patrycja
Patrycja rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Sergeant Pee
Sergeant Pee rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2011
Lynny Lynn
Lynny Lynn rated it did not like it
Apr 23, 2016
Connie
Connie rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Jeanne Hencken
Jeanne Hencken rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2013