Dismiss Sorry, that person's shelf is private.

Cabel's Story (Dream Catcher, #1.1)

Cabel's Story (Dream Catcher #1.1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,448 ratings  ·  182 reviews
A free online story by Lisa McMann. A companion to the first Dream Catcher novel, Wake, this is Cabel's perspective of the field trip that Janie and he took with their English class.
Published 2010 by Simon & Schuster Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cabel's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cabel's Story

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
83rd out of 480 books — 930 voters
Matched by Ally CondieCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren KateHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
You CAN tell a book by its cover!
34th out of 168 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Nic
Really good but a very short read only 13 pages. Left me wishing Lisa McCann would write a whole book from Cabel's point of view. He is awesome. A must for fans of Wake.
JoYee Chu
I actually read this in like...30 minutes, i am so proud of myself.

I'm surprised how short this is, and i (as the ijiot i am) forgot Lisa McMann's writing style for a second, and i promise, it was only a second! I totally got back on track and read between the lines and TOTALLY got Cabel's feelings and reasons for what he does. I am absolutely amazed at the rollercoaster ride she can take me on in 13 pages of reading. This is also the first time i have finished an "eBook" of any way, shape or fo...more
Jackie
Well, as you all know, this is an companion novel of the series Dreams, by Lisa McMann, featuring Cabel's version of the field trip that Janie and he took with their English class.

So anyway, I actually have a thing for novels that reveals or has a male "voice" in it. I would have rate this with a perfect 5/5 stars, considering that I've fallen in love with the 1st novel of the series -- BUT ... I have one teensy weensy problem which, unfortunately, is a pretty big deal to me ..

It was too' damn...more
Kelly
Oh, Cabel. I liked the guy in Wake and this story just gives us a touch more insight into him and how he dealt with the bombshell that the girl he had a thing for was able to fall into people's dreams. All things considered, I think he handled it as well as he could have. I mean, that's some freaky stuff no matter how you cut it.

Dark, a touch introspective, and it makes me like him even more. Big thumbs up to that.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Melissa
I have to say, being hooked on Lisa McMann's Dream Catcher trilogy has made me hungry for anything relating to the series and when I found out that there was a novella on Cabel's POV, well, COUNT ME IN.

It's a very short read, did little to satisfy my curiosity about this wonderful, wonderful character but now, I am even more in love with Cabel. I won't give anything away but if you can, do read this novella because it will only leave you hungry for more of the series.

And that's a good thing. :...more
Angela
I thought this was interesting, although a little disappointing. The character of Cabel Strumheller, in Wake, was so rich in detail, and was such a big part of Janie's life, that I wanted to read more about him and his take on what's happening to him, and to Janie, as their lives become more connected. So, to just cover the field trip part of the book, I felt was a little selfish, haha.

I would like to read a re-telling of Wake as viewed from Cabel's perspective!

Cristy Rey
I read the Wake/Gone/Fade series a few years ago for a YA literature class. I just wanted to read something that didn't have to do with vampires or sparkling star-crossed romances and that reminded me of the teen mystery/thriller/horror novels I read as a kid in the 90's. I didn't expect much from Wake. At all. I had only bought it and only intended on reading it. Then I devoured it in less than a day, ran out of the house in my jams and got to the bookstore in time before it closed to get the s...more
Tessa
Better than the first book. I actually understood more from this short story than from the entire first novel in the series.
Leah

I love Cabel so much. He was my favorite character of this series and it is nice to get some of his point of view here since the books were from Janie's point of view. Obviously, it's a bit repetitive because it overlaps parts from Wake, but it was good to see how Cabe felt about Janie seeing his dream and how he dealt with it. He is so screwed up and he makes me want to just snatch him up and hug him! And this made me want to read the series all over again.
Kami
This didn't really add anything to the story for me.

I loved the first book in the Dreamcatcher series and I like Cabel but this little mini story just doesn't give anything that wasn't already part of the original story.

In fact, the whole bit where Cabel remembers homecoming is very nearly an exact replica of what is in told in Wake. This just wan't much of an addition and didn't really give any insight or dimension to Cabel's character.
Greta is Erikasbuddy
That was it?

Really?

I thought we were going to learn more about what Daddy did to him and maybe his time in the hospital.

While we got to see a couple of dreams I'm just a bit curious if this story was supposed to be in Wake and got pulled.

Ah....

Not satisfied. Not at all.

It wasn't bad.... it just left me feeling like it should have been more
Darkfallen
Ummmmm???

Okay?

Uh huh?

Well i knew going into this that it was just a short little thing, but really? I guess I don't really get why I needed to read this. Or why it was written. I mean it's not bad, but also not relevant.

Either way since it only takes 5 minutes to read it's cool. I guess? I do appreciate the pic though *winks* lolz
Mairead
Interesting to see Cabe's side of the story.
He's one of the most interesting and insightful characters in the series, so it was refreshing, well written...
And honestly, some bits were just plain heart-warming.
If you like Wake, you'll love this.
Rani
I just have one problem with this one. It's too damn short! Come on, we like to know more about what's inside Cabel's mind. It's interesting really. Also I kinda like the cover. That guy is exactly like Cabel I have in mind :)
Jillian -always aspiring-
Really short, really easy to read. Win-win.

I liked Cabel's POV better than Janie's, actually.
Bri
Nice to get some of my favorite character's insight, but I'm greedy and I wanted more.
Petra Sýkorová
Krátký příběh o tom, jak setkání s Janie vnímal Cabel.
caren
Boo. Ended way too soon. I wanted more Cabe.
Mariana
Shelby K
I really enjoyed this snippet although I wish we got more! I loved reading about what he thought and felt during the situations and I think that Cabel's version of the book would be an awesome idea! I really enjoyed reading the section in his perspective and then going back and reading hers so I could get the whole picture. I just wish that we had the books in his perspective as well or at least key event of all the books made into one.
(It's in the back of Wake)
Biondy
Judul: Cabel's Story (Dream Catcher, #1.1)
Penulis: Lisa McMann
Penerbit: Simon & Schuster Publishing
Halaman: 23 halaman
Terbitan: 2010

Cerita pendek yang merupakan pelengkap dari Wake, buku pertama seri Dream Catcher karya Lisa McMann.

Buku ini menceritakan sudut pandang Cabel tentang perjalanan kelas bahasa Inggris yang ada di buku pertama.

Review

Cerita pendek yang, sayangnya, terlalu pendek. Memang menambah sedikit warna pada buku "Wake", tapi tidak banyak.

Tidak ada tambahan cerita yang menari...more
I found out about this story and saw in one of the reviews that this story was in the back of Wake so I looked into my copy and there it was.I thought this story was okay, in just a few amount of pages I was able to get a little more insight into Cabel's thoughts and found that I was in the middle about what to think of it. For one I feel like he leaves Janie to fend for herself too often and yes I get that he is emotionally scarred but why can't he find help with Janie for himself and help her...more
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2012 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everone who's read the first book
Recommended to Kimberly by: it was in the back of my book and I fiqured why the hell not?
Cabel's Story was included as an extra in my copy of Wake. I just want to say thank you to Lisa McMann for giving me this brief peek in to Cabel's mind.

Cabel is my favorite character and the fact that I got to see through his eyes made me love him even more. Too be honest I found his retelling of what happened on the school trip more entertaining if that makes any sense. It might be because of the new pov but......

Stuff I enjoyed:
Am I the only one that found his dream kinda funny? (no I'm not a...more
kari
Jan 31, 2014 kari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, ya, 5-star
Cabel's story is so good. McMann could write a whole book from his viewpoint and I'd buy it, sight unseen. Great, great read. Cabel is one of my all-time favorite characters and is given him such depth with the weight of his past that he carries and his love for Janie.
Liliana ♥s Mythology

It took me like 20 minutes to read this :P
But it was interesting. I liked getting inside Cabel's head and knowing what was going through it.

This is "A free online story by Lisa McMann. Based on the first Dream Catcher novel, Wake, this is Cabel's perspective of the field trip that Janie and he took with their English class."

However, it also describes the night of the Homecoming dance... when Cabel offered his skateboard to Janie on the way home. Which was...more
Danni PawPaw
It wasn't very long at only a dozen pages or so but i really enjoyed it. It would certainly read the series again in Cabel's POV.
Kayla Eklund
I really enjoyed readjng Cabel's pov. You kind of get in his head in the first book, but this explains things so much better. I was curious what he did on the trip, and now I know.
Realteenreviews
The Gist:This is Wake, from Cabel's perspective.

What We Think:
Reviewed by Dream Catcher

I don't own an eBook, but this little story was included in my copy of Wake, so I read it. It wasn't very long, for one (probably fourteen, fifteen pages)but it was interesting to hear things from someone other than Janie. This wasn't like some secret-revealing minibook. But it was a chance to see inside the mysterious mind of Cabel. It was refreshing and very different from Wake despite the same plot and char...more
Ariana
Really loved reading this bit from Cabel's POV. Very well done! Wish there was more!
how do i find the link? 5 39 Apr 11, 2014 08:08AM
  • Disenchanted (Darkest Powers, #2.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Passing (Crusade Short Story)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
  • Daire Meets Ever (Soul Seekers, #0.5)
  • Night World: Thicker Than Water (Night World, Extras #10.1)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
  • Shadow Days (Nightshade, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)
  • No Escape (PERSEF0NE, #0.5)
  • Career Day (Jasper Dent, #0.5)
  • Bridge (Shade, #2.5)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
Lisa McMann lives and writes in the Phoenix area. Her books include the NYT bestselling paranormal WAKE trilogy, CRYER'S CROSS, DEAD TO YOU, and the dystopian fantasy series beginning with THE UNWANTEDS. (Book 5, Unwanteds: ISLAND OF SHIPWRECKS, comes out Feb 3, 2015).

You can find more info at Lisa'a website, lisamcmann.com, interact with her on Facebook or Twitter, or ask questions and find answ...more
More about Lisa McMann...
Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1) Cryer's Cross