Start by marking “Pieces” as Want to Read:
Pieces

Pieces

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  213 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Patrick Donovan has spent the last three anniversaries of his lover’s suicide getting drunk at Josh Stevens’ bar. It’s at the bar he feels closest to Andrew, the man he misses, as well as to the man he has truly loved since high school, Josh, his dead lover’s cousin.

Troubled by Patrick’s annual visits to the bar, Josh encourages the man to put the pieces of his broken lif
Published July 18th 2010 by Amber Quill Press

To ask other readers questions about Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces

Daisiemae
Jul 22, 2010 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of M/M romance-Shawn Lane fans
Recommended to Daisiemae by: She is an automatic buy for me
A friend of mine once dubbed Shawn Lane the “Queen of Angst” and he is absolutely correct. But, one of my favorite things about her writing is her versatility to tell many different types of stories. The great thing about reading a book written by Shawn is that you never know what you’re going to get. I honestly can’t decide if I prefer her lighter, sweeter stories or her angsty dramatic ones. One of the best things about Shawn’s books is that there is something for everyone’s taste.

Patrick has
Lily
Aug 14, 2010 Lily rated it really liked it
Three years after Patrick's lover committed suicide he still carries the guilt for what he considers his part in it. Despite being with Andrew for quite a while Patrick was in love with Josh, his lover's cousin and that also adds to his guilt. On the anniversary of Andrew's death Patrick is once again at Josh's bar getting drunk.

For his part Josh feels it's way past time for Patrick to start getting over his feelings of grief and rejoin the land of the living. When he drives Patrick home that ni
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
Patrick is still grieving for his lover Andrew, who committed suicide 3 yrs ago.
A lot of his grief is from guilt since he also had a long time crush/love for Josh who happens to be Andrews cousin.
I'm not sure about Josh, I felt he didn't really want to commit but he didn't really want Patrick to move on either, maybe if I had been able to see things more from his perspective I would have liked and understood him more.
I also would have loved to see a bit of Andrew, I know nothing about him re
Funzee Shu
Feb 20, 2015 Funzee Shu rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-romance

The cover looks angsty and dark enuf, but I found that the story not that angsty enuf.

I like the story.
It took so long for both of the MC to realize their mistakes, their feelings and solved it.

Poor Andrew...
But that's life...

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I enjoyed Pieces. It was a sweet, short romance about one man trying to get over his first love by finding comfort in the cousin until the cousin kills himself and then finds love again with his first. I liked both Patrick and Josh and how Josh couldn’t just admit he had feelings for Patrick until everything was said and done. I especially liked his unconscious jealousy with Patrick’s online date; it made me smile. Lol.

I would have liked it better if we learned a little more about Andrew. He was
Ami
Aug 05, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it
I don't usually do well with Shawn Lane's story ... sometimes sex is all there is and I want something more than that. But I still like the summary for this, so I give it a try. It turns out this is one of the few of her stories that works (for me). I think the angst is palpable and real -- about keeping your love for someone for years, and end up making someone your second best, I love how Patrick and Josh finally works it out. There is one scene that just clogged my throat (it involves saying ...more
Lauraadriana
Jun 22, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it really liked it
4.5 I really liked this story...I have a weakness for a tortured soul.
mw138
Mar 23, 2012 mw138 rated it liked it

For the past three years, Patrick has been mourning the suicide of his partner, Andrew, as his friend (and one-time lover), Josh, watches helplessly on the sidelines. Patrick always carried feelings for Josh, but after their encounter years before, both were left with feelings of shame, resentment and heartbreak. Through Andrew's death, the two men discover what's really important.

Even though Pieces is a rather short story, a lot of information is packed into its pages. However, I want
Alina
Feb 22, 2012 Alina rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story!
This one's more intense and angsty, but not overdone at all. I really liked how Patrick's psychological trauma was handled and Josh's decision to build a relationship together at the end looked real and thought out and I believed it. Nice little snipped from their lives two months later was sweet :)
Shell
Sep 01, 2010 Shell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
melek
Patrick still grieving for his partner who killed himself 3 years ago can't let it go .. Along with that comes guilt ..

He loved his childhood friend josh but he thought josh didn't love him and decided to be his cousin Andrew at the time..

So this story is about how he deals with the guilt and grieving and has to let it go .. And can he be with josh and will he return his love for him back.
Serehtt
Sep 12, 2014 Serehtt rated it it was ok
The writing is as always good, but I just couldn't seem to get into this book or the characters... *shrugs*
T.T. Kove
Aug 10, 2010 T.T. Kove rated it it was ok
Anja
Mar 15, 2015 Anja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, c, w-az
2.5 stars.

The writing was okay but the story and characters disappointed me.
Gale
Feb 24, 2011 Gale rated it liked it
MxM, Read in 2011
Rosanny
Rosanny rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2016
Pixie
Pixie is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2016
A
A marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Christina Enness
Christina Enness rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
terri
terri marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
bazinga ~Lisa
bazinga ~Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Shannon Flynn
Shannon Flynn marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Nola
Nola marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Nov 24, 2015
Star5girl
Star5girl rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2015
  • A Realistic Romance
  • Second Sight
  • Fugly (connected by Jackson Spey #9)
  • Left of Centre
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Letting In the Light
  • Pets, Book 1: Sparking
  • Precious Ache
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Heart Doctor (City Hospital, #1)
  • And a Smile - Season One (Roughstock, #2)
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Off the Record
Shawn Lane writes erotic gay romances and believes love and passion know no boundaries. Happily Ever After is for everyone.

In the past she has written heterosexual romances (see her backlist) but is now concentrating on gay romances.

Shawn lives in California and holds down a boring day job in a legal department of a giant corporation dreaming of the nights and weekends when she can create new sto
More about Shawn Lane...