Start by marking “Madness and Murder (Jackson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Madness and Murder (Jackson, #1)

Madness and Murder (Jackson #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Frustrated by the rising body count and lack of evidence, veteran homicide detective, Mac Jackson, questions his own ethics when he risks the life of an innocent young woman to trap a cunning and sadistic serial killer. Known for his uncanny precision with a hunch, he's all too aware that, this time, the stakes are much higher if his gamble fails to pay off.

Jessica Croft,
Kindle Edition
Published June 21st 2010 by Echelon Press

To ask other readers questions about Madness and Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madness and Murder

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingFortune Calling by Hunter S. JonesVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
55th out of 411 books — 303 voters
No Justice by Darcia HelleEnemies and Playmates by Darcia HelleThe Cutting Edge by Darcia HelleBestsellerBound Short Story Anthology Volume 2 by Darcia HelleInto The Light by Darcia Helle
Great Books by BestsellerBound Authors
68th out of 81 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Madness and Murder (Jenny Hilborne)

Jessica Croft and her brother Judd moved from Sacramento to San Fransisco to start fresh and escape their past. Jessica hopes to have a happy life, and maybe meet a nice guy. Things are not going as planed.
Her brother is gone a lot and seems secretive, her friend Alex has problems at work and Jessica is not sure how to help. Add to it there is a killer out there and no one seems to be safe.

When Alex and Jessica team up to try to resolve
Jen Wylie
I’d like to start off saying that up until now I’ve been primarily a fantasy and sci-fi junky. That said, after reading Madness and Murder my horizons will now be broadening. Jenny Hilbornes debut novel is a gripping murder mystery certain to keep you glued to every page.

Set in San Francisco, the story unfolds with Jessica Croft and her twin brother Judd as children. As you read their tragic story of murder and madness you meet Mac Jackson, veteran homicide detective. Jumping ahead to the twins
Cheryl Landmark
I love a good murder mystery and this one definitely fits the bill. Ms. Hilborne crafted a taut, suspenseful, chilling tale of revenge, murder, madness, courage and strong, relatable characters. It was chock full of twists and turns, red herrings and enough suspects that it was difficult to guess the identity of the murderer until right near the end.

There were several subplots that at first seemed disconnected, but quickly coalesced into a thrilling, fast-paced story that had me turning the page
Jeannie Walker
"Madness and Murder" is a work of fiction.
Unfortunatlely, I know about someone committing a most heinous crime and showing no remorse. I remember hearing a penetrating scream coming from the courtroom. I, along with many others, stood in disbelief when we heard the sentence the jury gave the cold-blooded killer in my true story "Fighting the Devil".
The difference in a fiction and a non-fiction is that author can tailor and craft the outcome the way it should happen. I, along with others, reall
Andrew Kaufman
Jenny Hilborne's smoothly executed writing style makes this an effortless and highly pleasurable read. By the end of the book, I felt as if I knew the characters, and yes, even cared about them; that's quite an accomplishment, one which many authors fail to achieve, even on a perfunctory level. Simply said, Madness and Murder is a must-read. I'm very much looking forward to seeing more from this talented debut author.

--Andrew E. Kaufman
Bestselling author, While the Savage Sleeps
Darcia Helle
Madness and Murder is the perfect title for this book. From the first page, both the madness and the murder held me riveted. The action is fast-paced, taking me on a rollercoaster ride from start to finish. Hilborne disperses little details throughout that allowed me to 'see' the setting. The characters are well developed; some I loved and some I couldn't help but despise. This is an excellent first book and I'm looking forward to many more!
Brian Meeks
Jenny Hilborne’s debut novel, ‘Madness and Murder’, is a remarkable foray into the world of writing. I purchased the Kindle version and read it on my ipad, using the Kindle reader. At $2.99 it is a bargain and I would recommend buying it, to anyone who likes the mystery/thriller genre.

The book begins:

“You have committed the most heinous of crimes, and you have shown no remorse. The court imposes the maximum sentence the circumstances will allow…life without parole.”

From there on we learn of the
Madness and Murder is a taut crime mystery, with a terrific underlying narrative of character interaction and a theme of second chances. There is a splendid interweaving of subplots, overlaid with a chilling murder spree.

In Madness and Murder the plot unfolds on twins recovering from childhood tragedy, a homicide detective, and a girl who met the wrong guy. Their lives intertwine on the streets of San Francisco headed straight for a collision course with a serial killer.

The novel is well-plotted
Carol  MacInnis
This book was incredible. Jenny Hilborne captures the readers attention right from page one! A horrible homicide of a set of young twins big brother sets the stage. Their Father cannot accept the fact that he could not keep his eldest son safe finally ends his own life. Now their Mother has lost her sanity and the twins are forced into the system. It is a tumultuous time for both Judd and Jessica and Judd acts out as any frightened child would. Through the years the Homicide Detective, Mac Jacks ...more
Kathy Ambrose
Veteran homicide detective Mac Jackson is known for his remarkable hunches giving him the ability to solve complicated crimes. Currently in the middle of trying to solve a series of violent murders, Jackson is discouraged with the lack of evidence. The abhorrent violence of these murders has Jackson remembering another brutal case from his past that haunts him.

Twin siblings, Jessica and Judd Croft have relocated to San Francisco to start a new life. Running away from their traumatized past, Jess
Jenny Hilborne's "Madness and Murder" is a really good read. Her murder mystery's characters have depth and personality. The reader becomes quickly invested in what happens to them. I enjoyed the story, which moved along well and had a nice twist. A well-written crime novel.
D.L. Fowler
A captivating story made more intense by exceptional writing. The author kept me glued to the page from beginning to end.

The characters were rich and believable. Each risking everything in pursuit of their own personal stakes.

It's not everyday you pick up a book this good.
Madness and Murder is an excellent novel I didn’t want to put down. It is an extremely worthwhile read! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading more this excellent new author.
Carey Shea
It's a pretty great thriller/murder mystery. I have read better but I liked it well enough and it was a page turner. I recommend this book.
Pamela Mclaren
a good effort for a new author.
Tom Elder
A truly gripping read from Jenny
Black Butterfly
May 31, 2015 Black Butterfly rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BORROWED AMAZON
Shelves: mysteries
Shoulanda August
Great murder mystery

I enjoyed the flow of the story and how the characters interacted with each other. I was surprised that a girl so young took a chance and moved so far from home to be with a man. I enjoyed this book and was surprised
Marcia Witherspoon
Typical serial killer novel

Not bad just not that interesting, the killer was boring and the characters were just as boring. Not enough mystery or suspense.
It was an ok read. I had it pretty well figured out early on but finished the book anyway. An ordinary murder mystery. Not what I expected...
Not good enough to read more from this writer.
Madness and Murder was a well-constructed thriller that keeps you guessing all the way through. It also keeps up the pace and tension without losing the plot. A traditional 'whodunit', the story twists and turns with plenty of surprise and intrigue to keep you glued. I thoroughly enjoyed it. As the author's first work in this genre, it is well-written and accomplished and shows much promise for more exciting work from this writer. I will definitely be adding more of her books to my reading list.
This was a well-written, tightly paced story of very interesting people. The only "problem" with it (I use the term loosely) is that it could have been a big, fat, 100,000-word thriller. These are complex people, the plot is clever, and the writing is good - I'd have gone along on a bigger ride with the author.
Anne Carter
Aug 01, 2013 Anne Carter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all thriller fans
I've seen the words "thrilling" and "intriguing" and I couldn't agree more. Fabulous psychological thriller, scary at times, especially for those sensitive to women-in-peril situations. The whodunit moment comes a little earlier than I'd expected, but there was plenty of drama and action following.
Kelli Landon
Excellent thriller! This book grabbed me from the beginning and ended with a jaw dropping twist! I was immediately immersed into the lives of Mac Jackson and the Croft family. Love Detective Jackson and hope to see him pop up in Jenny's future novels - I am a fan! Can't wait for her next book!
Good one, but did not got shivers and goose pimples I expected tho.
Maria Papadopoulou
I have read this book twice already and probably I will read it a third time as well. Everything is so skillfully structured-from the characters to the story and the plot twists. Highly recommended for those who want to be emotionally overwhelmed till the end.
Barry Crowther
This was a great read! Plenty of twists and turns with great writing. I'm sure when the rest of the series comes out I'll grab a copy. Good writing, good mystery, doesn't get any better. Glad a made the journey with Mac.
This is the 2nd book I have read by this author. I really like her writing style. She really keeps the reader interested. The Jackson series reminds me a lot of Alex Cross.
The first two chapters made me think this book was gonna be my type of book. It had promise in several parts, but it also bored me in some parts. 2.5 stars
Making Connections: 1778. - MADNESS AND MURDER by Jenny Hilborne 3 31 Jan 01, 2014 06:21AM
  • Hit List
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • Changes (The Randall Lee Mysteries #1)
  • Chronic Fear
  • A Child's Wound
  • Fall of the Citizens: A Novel
  • The Frost Fair (Christopher Redmayne, #4)
  • Dead Man's Eye
  • Storm Surge
  • The Ghost Man
  • Thalo Blue
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Little Visible Delight
  • At Last
  • The Blues Detective
  • Hellbender
  • Tear Drop (Detective Elizabeth Ireland, #1)
  • Rock & Roll Rip-Off
I'm a native Brit currently living in San Diego. San Francisco is one of my favorite places and the setting for most of my mystery/thrillers. It's diverse, exciting, and easy for a killer to move around!

NEWEST RELEASE: THE BLACKEST NIGHT: a paranormal mystery set in San Francisco and the 3rd in the Jackson series. When a wrongful conviction is overturned and an innocent man is set free, he believ
More about Jenny Hilborne...

Jackson (3 books)
  • Hide and Seek (Jackson, #2)
  • The Blackest Night (Jackson, #3)
The Blackest Night (Jackson, #3) Hide and Seek (Jackson, #2) No Alibi (Doucette, #1) Stone Cold Easy Target (Doucette, #2)