Start by marking “You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You” as Want to Read:
You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You

You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You

In her long-awaited new collection, the Colt Peacekeeper of American political
humor draws a bead on targets that range from the Libido-in-Chief to Newt
Gingrich, campaign funny-money to the legislative lunacy of her native Texas--and
hits a bull's-eye every time.

Whether she's writing about Bill Clinton ("The Rodney Dangerfield of
presidents"), Bob Dole ("Dole contributed perh
Published April 21st 2010 by Vintage (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You

Faith Justice
Jul 20, 2011 Faith Justice rated it really liked it
Shelves: given-away
Love Molly Ivins and miss her terribly. As to the content of the book? These editorials were written in the Clinton years after the radical right took over the congress and threatened to shut down the government. There wasn't a single essay that couldn't be written with a couple of name changes in today's political climate. Deja vu all over again!
Troy
Sep 23, 2007 Troy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of America's most underrated humorists. Molly had a keen eye towards politics and human nature. Folksy funny but with intelligence.
Count Jared
Dec 03, 2010 Count Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The more of her stuff I read, the more I fall in love with Molly. You were took from us before your time, kid. Our loss.
Kathy
Oct 03, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
call it like you see it, Molly I miss you.
Thomas Petri
Feb 05, 2017 Thomas Petri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Molly Ivins when I came across her book titled "Shrub". Damn funny and insightful I wish more people had read it before the 2000 election. Well, to late, and unfortunately she wasn't around for the election in 2016. But, after reading "You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You" I'll bet it would have been funny, satiric, and have the Donald in the corner, crying! Yeah, a lot of us would have loved it! If you haven't yet, read her books and see for yourself. ( )
Hai Quan
May 25, 2013 Hai Quan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thing I like most about this book is her stern accusation toward the bigwigs in the White House and Pentagon together with the faceless but extremely powerful, the sinister MAFIA BOSSES ( my term) who own and operating all big corporations producing all kind of military weaponry and supplies , who secretly through their agents in the White House and the Pentagon, wagging wars all over this planet. Together they rake in huge, obscene profit, and happily dividing it among them at the cost of m ...more
Judy
Jul 04, 2009 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, this book brought back memories of those golden days of yore--the graft, corruption, name-calling, scandel ridden Clinton years. Molly Ivins, the Pulitzer prize winning political columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, has been called a human oxymoron--a Texas liberal. While I grew a tad tired of the down-home talk, this collection of political columns and magazine articles was both entertaining and preachy about politics during the Clinton years. It also took aim at and took a direct hi ...more
Nuzhat
Jul 03, 2011 Nuzhat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her insight in to the political Bigwigs in the 90s was right on target and eerily true to reflect what continues to go on today. Wish it wasn't so that the political climate is so toxic and continually so. What to do? While she's no longer with us to provide us her wit and humor, I hope her spirit lives on.
Phil Lawless
Feb 28, 2016 Phil Lawless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a realistically chilling book. It ends about 1998, with the death of Nixon and the end of the Clinton administration. But it foretells the incredible gridlock of the Obama years and the intransigence of the Congress towards the executive.. Molly has a perspective that cannot be denied. Guidance is not in her pervay.
Giuseppe
It's Molly Ivins-what can you say. Down to earth intellectualism from a Texas liberal with prescient observations that could easily be columns that fit today's politics. She was a national treasure. Loved this anthology of her work.
Cat.
Jul 16, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her usual funny take on the political world, including an interesting reasoning for why Clinton is such a compromiser on EVERYthing! And a nice, heartfelt tribute to her mother. Good selection (of her columns?)
Dan
Nov 27, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Molly. She values humor to illustrate liberal politics. Emphasis on humor. Apparently, she can't live long outside of Texas, because she encounters so much good story material there.
B
973.929 The dry Texan's take on politics during the Clinton years. Fairly funny as well as insightful.
Jason Stanford
The great strength of his book are the obituaries she writes about the dying lions of liberalism and her parents. Much meaning to take from all that.
Mary Newcomb
A fascinating collection of columns written during the Clinton years. They still resonate and I still miss Molly.

Paulievavoom
Paulievavoom rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Sheana
Sheana rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Gaygeek
Gaygeek rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2011
Ashish
Ashish rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2008
Stephy
Stephy rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2007
Grier
Grier rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2011
Trudy McDaniel
Trudy McDaniel rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Vesna
Vesna rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2009
Steph B
Steph B rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2014
Nicole Geary
Nicole Geary rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2011
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2013
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
  • There's Nothing in the Middle of the Road but Yellow Stripes and Dead Armadillos: A Work of Political Subversion
  • The Woman at the Washington Zoo: Writings on Politics, Family, and Fate
  • One More Time: The Best of Mike Royko
  • Pigs at the Trough: How Corporate Greed and Political Corruption Are Undermining America
  • It's Not Mean If It's True: More Trials from My Queer Life
  • Making the Cat Laugh
  • Southern Ladies and Gentlemen
  • American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush
  • The Best American Essays 2008
  • Obliviously On He Sails: The Bush Administration in Rhyme
  • Moyers on Democracy
  • Molly Ivins: A Rebel Life
  • Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-Job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior Into a Raging Homosexual
  • The Bush Dyslexicon: Observations on a National Disorder
  • Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth
  • I Still Have It . . . I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It: Confessions of a Fiftysomething
  • Words of Mercury
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
American newspaper columnist, political commentator, and best-selling author from Austin, Texas.

More about Molly Ivins...