Start by marking “Haven (Winterhaven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Haven (Winterhaven, #1)

Haven (Winterhaven #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  9,403 Ratings  ·  927 Reviews
Violet McKenna thought she was crazy when she had a vivid vision of her dad’s murder—but when her premonition came true, her life fell apart. Then she found a new school: Winterhaven. There, Violet fits right in. All the students have special “gifts” like her own, and she quickly finds a close group of friends. But Violet’s attraction to an alluring boy becomes problematic ...more
Published February 22nd 2011 by Simon Pulse

Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisWither by Lauren DeStefanoAngelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton
2011 Debut Authors (Young Adult and Middle Grade Lit.)
30th out of 263 books — 2,257 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
110th out of 1,144 books — 7,041 voters

More lists with this book...

Morgan F
description
Transformer cat will eat you! RAWR

For some reason, My review keeps coming up twice because the "more" is right in the middle of the spoiler, so I'm adding extra characters to see if it helps.

"Eh." That pretty much sums up my assessment of HAVEN. Kristi Cook is a smart cookie (heh, unintentional pun!). She travels some pretty well-worn territory that is guaranteed to get her a solid YA audience. Her book really doesn't have anything original, but is rather something more like a composite of popul
kari
Jun 06, 2011 kari rated it did not like it
Seriously? SERIOUSLY???
A new girl at a school (boarding school this time to try to make it unique and different so people won't notice the been there,read that factor), wanting to fit in meets the hottest boy in school whom all the girls want and who never gives his attention to any girl, but this boy is strangely drawn to the new girl. He is otherworldly handsome, IS COLD TO THE TOUCH and can read minds.
Where have I read this plot before?
Think, think, think.
Wait a minute.
Isn't there that on
~Tina~
Haven was one of my most anticipation reads for 2011 and I'm thrilled to say that it did not disappoint!
I LOVED it!!

Kristi Cook pens a fantastic debut! It's smoothly paced with a very natural flow to comprehend everything that is going on.
This book as everything I look for in a great read. Likable characters, boarding school setting, supernatural and paranormal elements, romance, mystery, suspense, no mean girls and finally, no love triangles (not that I mind them).

There is so much I want to s
Wendy Darling
Meh. This isn't a bad book by any means, but there's no new material covered in it. Boarding school, check. Mysterious boy, check. Girl adjusts to new powers, check. Rundown of kids with different psychic abilities, check. Etc, etc...so the relationships, the characters, the way everything gets done better be really pretty interesting. Unfortunately, aside from one lovely scene involving a moon and a first date, there's not much emotional depth or originality here--and the plotting/action isn't ...more
Nic
Jan 17, 2011 Nic rated it liked it
Hmmmmmm, please excuse my review. I am not quite what to say about Haven. Have you ever read a book, while reading it enjoyed it but as soon as you finished completely forgotten about it? Well that is Haven for me. It was good but it just lack that something special, there is nothing really to make it stand out from all the other the young adult paranormal romance reads.

The things I enjoyed :

- The mystery and all the hidden secrets. I love trying to figure out every little secret and enjoyed be
Kristy
Apr 10, 2011 Kristy rated it really liked it
Spoilers littered throughout.
“I’m happy to see the true spirit of friendship thrive here at Winterhaven,” Mrs G. continued. “Vampire, lycan, shape-shifter, Sabbat-all coming together as friends, despite their differences, despite their natural instincts. It’s a rare thing, isn’t it? If only the rest of the world could take notice.”

I’m glad I had no clue what this was going to be about before I read it. I would have just pushed it aside and really missed out. I thought I was tired of vampires, bu
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Feb 26, 2011 Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review, for-fun
WOW! I don’t even know where to begin…

I am one of those people that judges a book by its cover. The minute I saw the cover for Haven I was pulled right in and I just had to get my hands on a copy. When I was given the chance to read Haven by the author herself, I was ecstatic. It was simply one of those books that you just KNOW is going to be good.

Well, it was good alright, in fact it was more then good! It was AMAZING! I loved everything about it! From the first page to the very end, I was glue
Isamlq
Jan 25, 2011 Isamlq rated it it was ok
Caitlin
Mar 16, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was ok
I haven't finished it yet. I shouldn't be giving it this rating (2.5) but here I am.

I got about 20% into the book and so far nothing amazing has happened nor nothing incredibly annoying. The prose is nice. The characters are...eh, normal. The book itself is a cliche--girl attends gothic, dark east coast boarding school. Something's weird about it...OH! Everyone has specialabilities? Really? Ohmygod! SO DOES THE MAIN CHARACTER!!!!!1@#$$## Oh? Did you just say there's a hot guy that just seems st
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Feb 10, 2011 Savannah (Books With Bite) rated it it was amazing
What I like most about this book was how easily it flowed. I enjoyed the writing, the plot, and most of all the characters. Violet is joining a new school in which she feel inexplicably drawn to. She also carries a deep secret she has been holding her whole life. With one day on campus, she meets Aiden who has seem to not only catch her eye but she has captured his heart as well.

I loved Violet. She is a character who I can relate to right away. She is strong, beautiful, and took everything in a
Idris
Apr 24, 2011 Idris rated it did not like it

Apparently all YA books now are all the same thing. A girl starts in a new school, normally a boarding school, where she meets some new friends, she will feel accepted, she is not a freak anymore, and she will fall in love with the hottest guy in the school, who is also in love with her, but he is always keeping secrets because he wants to protect her.

In less than a paragraph I just told you what this book is about.

My first impression was good. I liked the way the author starts the story about
Crystal
Jan 14, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I really liked this one. I can't deny certain similarities between this and well you know the "book" that seems to be the trademark for paranormal these days but, there were enough surprises that I felt like it delivered a solid and unique story.
Violet finds herself in a new boarding school after the death of her father. She has always been different but little does she know that what makes her different will make her ordinary in her new school. Violet of course garners the attention of the mos
Danny
Jan 25, 2011 Danny rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I started Friday night and finished it Saturday morning and I really enjoyed every page!

Full Review at the Bewitched Bookworms

Ok, what do we need for a good story, a story you enjoy? First of all we need a good story and a nice plotline. Then we need ( which is even more important) characters you can fall in love with. A main character that doesn't annoy you and of course ... a swoon worthy mysterious guy! Oh and of course, the love! *le sigh*

Full Review will come! But put th

Mar 30, 2011 Kiki rated it really liked it
Lauren
Jan 09, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing
*4.5*

In today's YA world there's a lot of paranormal books out there, and while all of them have interesting ideas, very few have the ability to have me completely entranced in their worlds. Luckily enough, Kristi Cook's Haven is one of the few, because not only is it a refreshing and unique paranormal read but it's a book you can't help but read in one very long sitting; a good sign indeed.

Haven begins with Violet's very first day at Winterhaven, an elite boarding school. At Winterhaven, Violet
Wanda
May 11, 2011 Wanda rated it it was amazing
First of all let me begin by saying I love love love loved this book. I had problems putting this book down. It was that good. And once I finished reading it I couldn't wait to share my thoughts with Damaris. And we spent a good half hour just talking about it. We're such nerds. LOL.

So in this book you have Violet, a sweet teenager who moved to New York with hopes of leaving her secrets behind. But little did she know that everyone at Winter Haven had secrets of their own. As she settled in and
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
Ugh... finally done with this one. First of all I gotta say that I've been dying to read Haven since October last year. And now that I've read it I am disappointed.
It was all about Aidan and who he really was and nothing other where their (Violet and Aidan) relationship is going. Well,maybe something happens on the last 20 pages but other than that is the whole deal of this book.
And this girl-Violet she is like some kind of a freak. She would rather sit in her room alone than face her friends
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Jul 19, 2016 Christina (A Reader of Fictions) marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina (A Reader of Fictions) by: Stephanie Kota
Shelves: scribd
Chapters read: 4

Because I loved Cook's Magnolia, I wanted to give her debut series a shot. Unfortunately, it's generic paranormal from the post-Twilight wave. I don't feel any attachment to the characters and I've read this basic plot several times over. Ah well. I'll definitely watch for Cook's future endeavors, but I highly doubt I'd enjoy these enough to make them worth the time.
Jodi Meadows
There is no butterfly in this book.

(Decent writing, pacing, some nice moments between friends.)
Pricky
It seems to me that the latest (view spoiler)genre just seem to repeat itself over and over again:
1. New girl at school
2. Meets mysterious cold-blooded boy
3. Girl and Boy have some cosmic connection to each other
4. Girl and Boy must resolve some relationship conflict to why they "can't" be together.

Sound familiar?

While I really enjoyed Cook's writing style, there were too many similarities (view spoiler)(yes,
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Haven has a great mix of paranormal characters, and I liked how they're all brought together to attend the private Winterhaven school for the "gifted". The secondary characters are fabulous! They're "real", supportive and just fun characters to read about it. I had a really hard time with Violet and Aidan's characters. I couldn't picture them in my mind, like I could for Joshua or Cece, Violet's roommate, and I felt more connected with the supporting characters than I did with main ones. I'm not ...more
Alex Bennett
Dec 20, 2010 Alex Bennett rated it really liked it
Going into Haven, I was expecting something completely different from what I found. At first, I was worried about what the book was turning out to be. I thought “Oh no, not another one of these books!”. Thankfully, however, I was pleasantly surprised by what Haven turned out to be.

Violet carried the story well, though she tends to complain a bit, and for some reason I couldn’t really picture her in my head. Aidan got on my nerves a lot. He was hot and cold, and sometimes he could be a total jerk
Pam Vlieg
Aug 17, 2011 Pam Vlieg rated it liked it
I read the first half of Haven and admittedly thought the book was going nowhere. I disliked the main character and her decisions and her needy behavior. Then I had an epiphany. Pam you are thirty-one years old. How did you act around boys when you were sixteen? Immediately my outlook on this book changed.

I still am not enamored by the first half of the book, the school at Winterhaven is interesting enough but I wanted to hear more about Violet’s friends and her life at Winterhaven. I felt that
Bebe Haase
Jan 18, 2016 Bebe Haase rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4/5

Great. Super strong characters and a cute plot. I really enjoyed this one.

xoxo,
Bebe
Rachel
Feb 22, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
When her stepmother gets a job in New York City, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna is forced to choose whether to to go with her or stay with her Grandmother. Although Atlanta is her home, and her Gran her only real family, Violet is inexplicably drawn to Winterhaven, an elite boarding school in Tarrytown, New York.

For the first time since her father’s death she feels like just maybe things will be okay. Winterhaven is a place where she can start over, where no one knows about her premonitions, an
Rachel
Dec 31, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
A list of things I love in books:
-Boarding schools
-Teenagers with psychic powers
-Cute boys
-Awesome protagonists
-Romance that's not too perfect to be believable
-Funny and lovable groups of friends

Guess what? This book has ALL OF THE THINGS. ALL OF THEM.

And guess what it also has? Vampires. And guess what I'm generally not a huge fan of? Vampires. And guess what was done really well in this book so that even a non-vampire fan like me could enjoy it immensely? YOU GUESSED IT, VAMPIRES.

But hold on.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this E-ARC from Simon & Schuster.

Well I can honestly say that this was an okay read. Haven is Kristi Cook's debut in the YA genre and I had heard about it through the blogging world and it sounded interesting. And it was, mildly so.

I hate having to talk bad about books, it's really hard and I know everyone's opinions differ. So let me just state that this is my opinion. Others may find that they like the sound of the story, read and love it still and that's cool.

The book started o
Parametric
Oct 31, 2011 Parametric rated it did not like it
Let's play spot the book!

On her first day at her new school, the new girl encounters an incredibly gorgeous guy who is instantly and inexplicably fascinated by her. All the girls lust after him, but he has no time for anybody else. He is very pale, and his skin is icy cold. He can read her mind. He carries her around. He can move supernaturally fast, covering miles in seconds. Oh, and he's a (view spoiler)
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jan 26, 2011 All Things Urban Fantasy rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

I hate this cover. And not because it’s dull, plain, and uninspiring (I still have no idea why there’s a giant butterfly on the front). I hate it because it completely turned me off of this book so that I almost didn’t read it. And then I would have missed out on a story that is deeply romantic and tragic in a way that pierces your heart and makes you long for the impossible.

HAVEN doesn’t really break new grown with it’s plot, in fact it borrows heavily
HMSA Reads: Book Review: Haven 3 31 Aug 25, 2016 03:40PM
Crazy for Young A...: Haven (Haven #1) by Kristi Cook → Start Date: October 17th, 2015 18 26 Oct 26, 2015 01:06PM
Did anyone else think aiden and Blackwell were vampires 16 52 Feb 06, 2015 01:49PM
the second book 13 75 Nov 20, 2013 05:56PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Haven 1 4 Mar 27, 2012 05:38AM
traveling Aidan's way 1 14 Jun 17, 2011 07:14PM
  • Wake Unto Me
  • Warped
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • Clarity (Clarity, #1)
  • Falling Under (Falling Under, #1)
  • Vesper (Deviants, #1)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Dead Rules
  • Luminous
  • The Candidates (Delcroix Academy, #1)
  • Sirenz (Sirenz, #1)
  • A Need So Beautiful (A Need So Beautiful, #1)
  • Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Between the Sea and Sky
New York Times bestselling YA author Kristi Cook is a transplanted southern gal who lives in New York City with her husband and two kids. Her YA debut, HAVEN, was released in Feb. 2011 by Simon Pulse. The last two volumes in the Winterhaven series, MIRAGE and ETERNAL, followed in 2012 and 2013. Her first contemporary, southern-set YA, MAGNOLIA, was released in 2014. She's currently working on a ...more
More about Kristi Cook...

Winterhaven (3 books)
  • Mirage (Winterhaven, #2)
  • Eternal (Winterhaven, #3)

“Call me old-fashioned, but I wanted to be persued, not the persuer.” 61 likes
“The true freaks are the ones who don't believe, the narrow-minded people who have no faith, who can't see what's right in front of their eyes.” 56 likes