Start by marking “The Visitation” as Want to Read:
The Visitation

The Visitation

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  16,840 Ratings  ·  383 Reviews
Outline A burned-out minister in small town Antioch, Washington, must wrestle with his confusion and cynicism when a self-proclaimed messiah takes over his ministry. The replacement minister looks li
Published September 16th 2003 by Thomas Nelson (first published May 7th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Visitation, please sign up.

Mike (the Paladin)
Peretti can run hot and cold but here he's in top form as we follow the twin stories that make up this book. Good drama with just enough humor.

There are some efforts by Peretti that haven't...well, haven't been my cup of tea. I like his attitude and his point of view, but sometimes his storytelling (in my opinion of course) leaves a little to be desired. In this case however I found myself getting involved with the injured minister and the people around him. To say too much about "what I like" w
Kenny
Feb 06, 2008 Kenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
As a Christian author myself, I'm interested in the genre, especially the fiction side. Peretti is the dean of Christian supernatural fiction, and this book another of his fine entries, but it seems whenever anyone tries to make spiritual "battles" into physical ones, the result is strangely anti-climactic and unsatisfying, perhaps because the greatest conflicts exist in the human heart, and when you try to put those conflicts into the workaday world, they seem somehow less compelling. Neverthel ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Sep 08, 2009 Anne Hawn Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peretti presents an interesting topic. How many of us know what the Bible says about Jesus' return? How will we know him? How can we be sure?

A prophet who seems to be Jesus appears in Antioch. He works miracles and inspires people all over the nation to come to the small town and worship him. Members of the Ministerial society don't know what to think about him, so how can the expect their members to?

Formal Pentecostal Minister, Travis Jordan, is skeptical from the beginning, even though he is
Bianca
I didn't know what I was going to get myself into - reading a well known Christian author's novel for the first time. I saw that quite a few of my friends and people I follow on Goodreads had read this novel. Almost everyone gave it a 4/5, and I'm here thinking like, "So why the one less star?"

I really understand why now. The Visitation has a very interesting premise and it is an all-around good novel. I think the only reason why someone might not enjoy it so much is the fact that it's dragged o
Heather
Sep 28, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, favorites
HERE is my all-time favorite Peretti novel!

Now, about thrillers... They have a very natural tendency to be extremely plot-driven. Granted, a good thriller requires a tight, unexpected plot in order to be a page-turner. A lot of thriller authors, however, construct this awesome, mind-blowing plot, but give little or not attention to the painting of their characters. Peretti handles this masterfully! He populates his exciting stories with characters that are rounded out with style and quirks.
Matthew
Oct 11, 2011 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up The Visitation, I had one question that I desperately wanted to know the answer to. How would Frank Peretti depict the man known as the Antichrist? Would he use biblical allusions or create a fictional character? These questions were clearly answered in the book.

The book takes place in the small sleepy town of Antioch, Washington. The last thing this town would ever expect is the supernatural. There are sightings of angles and messianic images, and a crucifix cries liqu
Eva
Mar 07, 2017 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
What a fascinating book! I don't usually like Peretti's novels too much (his writing style + longwindedness get on my nerves) but this one gripped me and didn't let go. Travis is so great, as are Kyle and Marian. It was interesting, seeing the different denominations portrayed in this book, as were all of Travis' flashbacks. Overall, an excellent thriller. (I just wish that Nicholls had been saved in the end.)

Incidentally, this is the second Christian novel I've read where someone comes along, c
Adrienna
I have heard great things about this writer (and even Ted Dekker was compared to his work/also read the book they did together and seen the movie via DVD). I read another previous work and thought it was an okay read. Now reading this one, caught my interest at certain peaks, and think it is quite a bit long with some of the backstories...too many characters to keep up with...is my only downfall with this read.

Aside from my minor dislikes, I do like the biblical messages given and stated! "reli
Debbie
Apr 21, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, suspense
"The Visitation" was an interesting Christian supernatural suspense novel. The world-building was excellent, with the details about the place and people bringing the story alive in my imagination. The characters were engaging and even the minor characters were realistic. There were so many reoccurring characters to keep track of that I occasionally had to stop and think to remember who a character was, but overall it wasn't a problem. The pacing was generally very good, but the (important) back ...more
Susanna
Dec 08, 2012 Susanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book captivated me, not for the story itself, but for the flashbacks within the story.
Travis Jordan, the protagonist, is fed-up and disillusioned with church, despite-- or perhaps because of-- having been raised in the church his whole life and pastoring for 15 years. As he wades through tangled memories of his past, we see what has brought him to this point, and also come to realize that God is not done with him yet.
Having been through a ringer of church-experiences myself, I resonated wit
Keiki Hendrix
Dec 10, 2008 Keiki Hendrix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story of intrigue in this day an age with so many false teachers and preachers.

An absolute must read.
Hannah
Oct 13, 2010 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I dive in I think its only fair to say that a big part of why I could enjoy this book so much was that I could relate so easily to the main character. Being a "preacher's kid" myself, I've struggled with the same spiritual/mental/moral dilemmas as Travis Jordan seems to be going through, and of course its being able to relate to a book that makes it really resonate with you.
With that in mind I have to applaud the fact that Peretti is a "Christian author" who can actually write: so many
Emily
Feb 27, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, christian
BY FAR my favorite book by Peretti!!! Every time I read this book, I get something new out of it! It is fast paced, creative, thrilling, scary, and beautiful all at the same time.

- Minimal Spoilers Ahead -

This is not as much a book about a young man claiming to be Jesus, as it is about a middle aged man who has been run through the ringer of ministry, and lost everything. If you only get a false prophet, "end times" theme from this book, then I think you may be missing the point.

I relate so co
Georgette
Jan 08, 2009 Georgette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't review a Peretti novel without dragging out my dusty copy of his last book and giving you a quick rundown.

The Visitation happens in a little eastern Washington town called Antioch, where nothing ever happens. Overnight, it became the centre of the supernatural - with sighting of angels, messianic images in the sky and a weeping crucifix that heals.

But that's only the beginning. A self-proclaimed prophet appears at a local ranch and the people of Antioch accepted him as the Messiah of the
Sharon
First time I've read a religious novel like this one. I had put off reading a Frank Peretti for the obvious reasons but glad I did it.

I originally purchased a hardback copy for 25c in a charity shop in Florida recently on vacation. I left it behind due to luggage restrictions blah blah. Anyway I just had to buy it again but it cost me a lot more !

As I say it is definitely a religious story about a town which appears to have been visited by Jesus and how the town react and behave.
Twinned with the
Alexandra Swann
Sep 14, 2013 Alexandra Swann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a provocative story. Peretti deals with how misapplication of Christian teachings can damage some people so much that they become completely warped.

He also really explores our desire for a Messiah we can see and hear and touch and how easily people can be led astray just because they want to believe something wonderful.

Like many of Peretti's stories, it is genuinely thought-provoking and will leave you exploring how you live out your own faith--if you are a Christian.
Emily
Jun 11, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, and I think the one thing I loved most was how it evoked such a response from me. As the main character describes all the hypocritical people he's encountered, most especially in the church, I could relate so well, that as I was reading it I felt SO FRUSTRATED. Frank Peretti writes well, and he makes it feel real. The entire plot was very good as well, and i would totally recomend this book.
Kitty
Mar 31, 2014 Kitty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-to-hate
Lori
Dec 13, 2008 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed the first part of this book. I found the story relevant and appropriate to Christianity today. However, the ending was such a disappointment! To me it seemed as if the author said, "enough written, time to end this," and then found the quickest most "blockbuster movie" ending he could come up with and tacked it on.
B.R
Jun 28, 2013 B.R rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
PRE-READ
I bought this book when I was 12, 13 years old at the advice of my mother because she thought it looked cool. I have to say this before I officially start it, I am agnostic borderline atheist, I am pro-choice and I am a supporter of LGBTQ+ rights.

But despite all this, I want to give this book a shot.
Jasmine
Nov 29, 2016 Jasmine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
3.4 ⭐ I Listened via audio. The audio quality is not the best; It was hard to listen to and understand. But the story was good. I will need to listen to this again or read the plain hard copy of this book to appreciate the story. ...more
Shanna
I had trouble putting this one down. Peretti owns this genre, weaving a great thriller mystery.
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
2.5
The Vistation started off slow af, but it sped up as we neared the end
Jokoloyo
Jan 19, 2013 Jokoloyo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read in Bahasa edition, maybe some beauty of the book is lost in translation. I didn't like the first half of the book, skipped many pages, and still could followed the main story until the end.
Esther
Aug 05, 2008 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this one! For me this was probably the most emotional compelling of all his books. Really good!
Joeybjab05
Jun 26, 2017 Joeybjab05 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this is the first Peretti book that you read, then expect the unexpected. It is a book that catches you right from the first words; the story continues with great precision and depth. There were times that I could not put the book down, as each chapter begs to be read as the events move in fluid motion. There are two main plot lines and innumerable subplots that enhanced each storyline; the entire book flows seamlessly and effortlessly between the first and third-person accounts.

The material
Neil
I remember when I first read this book, how much I identified with parts of it (view spoiler) and how much the book 'spoke' to me. It was an amazing journey reading the book, and I devoured it in a single reading. I have read this book many times shortly after it was published. I may have read it a few times in the last twenty ye ...more
Brandon Leatherman
I'm usually pretty intimidated by thick books like this one (or by most of Stephen King's writings), and when I do delve into a tome this size it takes me a month or more to finish it. And it's extremely rare that a book this size will garner five stars from me. Normally there are slow spots that take forever to get through in a book this size.

Not so for this book! I finished this book in a week flat. Peretti had me hooked the entire way through, and I found myself avoiding the television and ne
Heather
The premise is very intriguing - a drifter showing up in a small town, performing miracles, and people believing he's Jesus come back to earth. It didn't turn into a page turner for me until the last half; the book is over 500 pages long and it took over 2 weeks to get through the first half and then 3 days to finish it up. So, hang in there, it's worth the read; I ended up really enjoying how the author wraps up the story. I gave it 3 stars though because the first half was tough and I almost d ...more
Bettie Gross
Jun 04, 2017 Bettie Gross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makes some very good points
엔조이폰팅☦ 애인폰팅 ☦ ▶060-900-9890◀ 9 4 Oct 06, 2016 07:30PM
  • When Heaven Weeps (Martyr's Song, #2)
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • The Ishbane Conspiracy
  • Comes a Horseman
  • The Veritas Conflict
  • Babylon Rising (Babylon Rising, #1)
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...

“I like winning, it just takes longer” 8 likes
“But kids like us grow up and need our own relationship with God, forged in the heart through time and experience, not draped around us by the church we attend. We need to know God for ourselves, not secondhand.” 0 likes