Start by marking “The Cold Wife” as Want to Read:
The Cold Wife

The Cold Wife (Virginia Historicals #2)

When Carrie Allen learns that her father has arranged a marriage between her and Justin Monroe, she knows that a pair couldn't be more mismatched. And she wants out! Justin Monroe has loved Carrie for years, so he jumps at the chance to marry her. But he's in for a surprise when she tells him the truth...and asks for an annulment. Too bad for her he's not willing to give u ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published February 27th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Cold Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold Wife

Effie
Nov 01, 2010 Effie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I don't think I paid more than a dollar for this, thank goodness. While it's set in the early 1900's, it was just totally unbelievable. Her father goes bankrupt and arranges for her to marry someone wealthy instead of letting her go west with him. The heroine spends her days making pizzas with her cook's assistant. Her brother continually interferes in her arranged marriage. The hero can't bring himself to consummate his marriage. And the discussions of "marital intimacy" that are mentioned woul ...more
MsKingsPens
3.5 stars... This was cute but frustrating. Carrie and Justin's cart before the horse marriage was a fun little war that they both ended up winning. I wish we'd gotten more about Mary and Jonathan. I thought Carrie would annoy me with the whole "cold wife" thing but her friends and family were so much worse.

She was stubborn but it made sense with everyone telling her what she wanted, why she wanted it, and how she was going to do it. Justin was the only character she who even tried to give her a
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brthecoldwife
Finished reading: March 4th 2015
Rating 2

"You don't understand how the real world works, Junior! You think it's all dinner parties and business meetings? It's survival of the fittest. You have to be tough and do whatever it takes to make it if you're going to be successful."

(view spoiler)
Jess the Romanceaholic
Victoria (daisyduck)
I don't like leaving poor reviews but...
On the face of things, this should have been right up my street. I love a good historical romance and the outline of this appealed to me: man (Justin) marries a woman (Carrie) whom he has long been in love with, she feels coerced into the marriage by her family but agrees to a month's trial after which she can request an annullment, leaving her husband a month to win her affection.

Unfortunately, the time period doesn't seem to have been very well researc
Jessica Billings
I was slightly hesitant on beginning this book because I hadn't read many romances, but it was surprisingly entertaining and enjoyable! The premise, that a woman is forced into an arranged marriage after her father goes bankrupt, was immediately engaging and although I found the main character immature and whiny at first, she quickly evolved into a likable and charming woman. The relationship between her and her new husband seemed very genuine and I soon found myself relating to what she was goi ...more
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Brooke
Oct 25, 2013 Brooke rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Lord, I don't even know where to begin with this train wreck. This book was only a buck, so I bought it thinking it'd be a simple historical and mediocre. It was so far from mediocre it's not even funny. This author has several published books on Amazon, so I assumed the writing style would at least be halfway decent. Oh how wrong I was.

To summarize the plot briefly: Carrie's dad arranges for her to marry Justin. She's opposed to the arrangment since she doesn't know him and after wedding she
Cheryl
Aug 13, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Allen’s father tells her that his business has gone bankrupt. Before Carrie can recover from the shock, her father also informs Carrie that he has arranged for her to be married to Justin Monroe. The wedding is in three days. Carrie can’t believe this is happening to her. Justin may be wealthy but Carrie fells nothing but dislike for Justin. Soon after Carrie becomes Mrs. Justin Monroe, she demands an annulment. Carrie believes that Justin only married Carrie to make him look good to his ...more
Alison
Apr 04, 2010 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am quickly becoming a fan of Ruth Ann Nordin. This was the 2nd book I have read by this author and once again I loved it.

This book is an historical romance and the author was able to transport me to the time and place of the story with no effort at all.

The story is about a young woman forced to marry someone she believes to be boring, so that she doesn't get left destitute after her father is bankrupt. Little does she know that the man has loved her since she was 14 years old. Carrie is incred
Naomi
Sep 26, 2010 Naomi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found the book to be really weak in its' storyline and the author's writing. Although, I somewhat enjoyed the story in the beginning, my intrest waned later because the writing was incredibly juvenile and the story was predictable. On the back cover, the author has this book listed as a Historical Fiction, Comedy,Romance. I just didn't see the comedy come out in the book. Finally, it was a clean romance, which was fine, but I found it interesting that the author, I believe, rated the book "R". ...more
Judy
Mar 08, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2: The Cold Wife
Justin Monroe has secretly admired Carrie Allen for some time but he has been to shy to approach her. Carrie's twin brother, Brad, is a close friend of Justin. When Carrie's father is bankrupted he sets up a marriage between Justin and Carrie.
Justin could not be happier about the arrangement and Carrie could not be angrier!
Meanwhile they find that someone may have been to blame for bankrupting her father and they are not ready to stop with the damage they have already done.
Nash Norden
Nov 04, 2012 Nash Norden rated it liked it
I was reading this book for fun as the synopsis sounds good. The Cold Wife began with Carrie’s father goes bankrupt and her father arranged her to be married to Justin. Justin loved Carrie for years and had no idea that Carrie was opposing the idea of marrying him. It was after the wedding that he found out that Carrie never wanted to be married to him. He vowed to win her heart after some period.

I thought The Cold Wife was an okay read. I enjoy the moments between Carrie and Justin and their ba
Connie Taylor
Feb 27, 2014 Connie Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second in the Virginia series by Ms Nordin. A Christian historical romance set in the late 1890's. Carrie, the heroine, is a whiny, immature young lady that does not want to marry the man her father has arranged a marriage with. As the story continues her character grows and matures into a like able Christian woman. Her husband does not realize until after the service she had not wanted to marry him. Through is love she comes to love him as well.

The characters An Unlikely Place
Cassie
May 29, 2016 Cassie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Story concept - good, it's what drew me in.
Plot and character development - not so good.
I've read a few books by this author before. The writing is so-so. Certainly better than anything I could write but not near the calibre of what I would expect.
The story is historical and I'm still trying to figure out the inclusion of pizza (with modern, gourmet toppings) and index cards. I will not be picking up another book by this author.
Shelley Chastagner
Dec 19, 2011 Shelley Chastagner rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread
When Carrie's father arranges a marriage with the wealthy Justin Monroe she is understandably upset. Justin refuses to grant an immediate annulment but offers a deal: a month-long trial marriage. She sets out to prove they don't belong together, and he does everything he can to win her heart. A wonderful romantic comedy.
PRINCESS
Jul 18, 2016 PRINCESS rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I’m not against arrange marriages because sometimes even though it’s arranged but the couple they meet each other and they might share feelings, thoughts, hobbies, or/and other stuff, but mostly they are not like that , they arrange the marriage without they see each other, without they talk even a word, without having an opinion.
Zaa
Apr 11, 2012 Zaa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fm-historical
Exhausted...
It took me a lot of patience to finish the book. I tried to like it but honestly, I couldn't. The dialogue and character development are weak. The plot seem ridiculous and the writing style wasn't helping at all. Not my cup of tea.

Linda Kupsky
I dont understand why it's called a historical romance. it's very strange that it seems early 1900s but they talk about the apple iPod and their birth years were the early 1980s. It really messed up the context.
Esther Heaps
Emtertaim

very entertaining read. first time reading this author and really enjoyed her fast paced style, will look forward to reading her other books. fun, believable, quick to read and leaves one feeling good.
Jody
Oct 08, 2012 Jody rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books, ebook
Not her best effort. Forced to marry because father bankrupt. I think the cold wife may be a jinx. Not consumate marriage and his single uncle tries to give him advice on how to approach wife only to have advice turned back on him after a billiards game.
Jul 09, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
I thought this was a decent book. It was an easy read and held my interest-I wanted to keep going to see how the relationship was going to be. There were some typos/grammatical errors which surprised me, but nothing to make it impossible to figure out what was trying to be said.
Hyacinth
Nov 28, 2013 Hyacinth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fun read
Cayla
Jan 07, 2017 Cayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was 'eh, okay', but not a favorite. There's nothing terribly wrong with it, but I just didn't enjoy it as much I have enjoyed some of her other books.
Nawwar
May 14, 2011 Nawwar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cold wife becomes melting wife! haih..agak..bestlah..
Carolyn
Apr 28, 2010 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a refreshing read - a good, honest romance.
Brianne
Mar 20, 2011 Brianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Book #18 of 2011 - another time period novel, different series, same author. Well written, short book, good story - again, reminds you that money isn't everything and your family is!
Margo
Mar 02, 2016 Margo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute story. Quick read. If you want great sex scenes this isn't the book for you. It highlights the rules that society set for women in that time period. Very confining.
Funmei
Jan 09, 2015 Funmei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent
  • Broken Angel (Unconventional, #2)
  • To Win His Wayward Wife (Scandalous Sisters #3)
  • Stranger's Bride (Kansas Brides, #1)
  • Unlawfully Wedded Bride
  • Shotgun Grooms
  • To Love a Stranger (Wyoming #4)
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • The Most Unsuitable Wife (Kincaids, #1)
  • A Twist of Fate
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • The Rancher's Secret Wife (Cooper Creek, #3)
  • Montana Bride
  • Lucy Doesn't Wear Pink (Lucy #1)
  • The Spinster & The Beast
  • The Dutiful Rake
  • Love by Secrets
What's to say? I write a lot. I read often. I sleep little. Once in awhile, I've been known to clean the house. A number of kids live in my house and there's this guy they call dad and I call husband. All in all, it's a pretty good life. :-)
More about Ruth Ann Nordin...

Virginia Historicals (4 books)
  • An Unlikely Place for Love: The Disguises of Kate Tanner (Virginia Historicals #1)
  • An Inconvenient Marriage (Virginia Historicals #3)
  • Romancing Adrienne