Start by marking “Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry” as Want to Read:
Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry

Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,758 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
NOW AVAILABLE FROM ABRAMS: Canning for a New Generation: Updated and Expanded Edition (ISBN: 978-1-61769-185-0)

“When I was growing up, canning was for old folks and cranks and separatists,” writes Liana Krissoff in her introduction to Canning for a New Generation. But not anymore. With soaring food prices and the increasing popularity of all things domestic and DIY, there
Published August 1st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Canning for a New Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canning for a New Generation

Lynne
Jul 22, 2016 Lynne rated it it was amazing
As a dietitian and whole foods advocate, I really appreciate how she advocates the use of natural sources of pectin in jams and Jellies. As an adventurous eater, I love how the recipes use herbs, wine and other imaginative ingredients to provide pop to classic canning recipes. As a person who cans for a very small family, I am so glad that recipes to use the canned products are also part of the narrative. As someone who cherishes eating seasonally, it's great that recipes are organized by season ...more
Stacy
Feb 12, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you think that canning is for grandmas, this book might change your mind. With sleek photographs, a section of cute tear-off jar labels, and recipes for both the classic and reimagined, this book will guide a new generation through the ins and outs of food preservation. Do-It-Yourself fans will find recipes organized by season, both for canned foods and recipes to compliment the fruits of their labors.

The range of recipes is impressive, with everything from lemon curd to Chinese Plum Sauce,
Alexis
Sep 13, 2011 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I used up my enormous stash of mason jars trying recipes from this book. Three of the four recipes I tried were fantastic. The fourth was my fault--I used commercial pectin instead of green apples and the jam turned out gloppy. Lesson learned: shortcuts yield disappointment. Krissoff's directions are clear and concise and her commentary is engaging and personal without being precious. I checked it out from the library but I think I'm going to have to buy it.
Crystal
Aug 28, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: home canning enthusiasts and novices
Shelves: cookbooks
Canning for a New Generation is a terrific resource -- and my go-to book for home canning. Having recently gotten into canning, I wanted a book that didn't call for buckets of sugar in each jam recipe, that stayed away from pre-packaged pectin, and that was a bit more creative in its use of ingredients. In other words, I didn't want "your grandmother's canning cookbook." This book definitely delivers on all of those accounts.

Krissoff's preserve and jam recipes call for far less sugar -- and no b
Helen
Apr 29, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how one counts a cookbook as read (I read all the intros, lead ins, sidebars, and instructions, just not every recipe through and through), especially when it is about a technique that I don't know how to do yet, but my visceral response was very positive. I can't say I am utterly unintimidated by canning now, but the recipes in this book and the stories make me want to try. The author is a wee bit too hipster homesteader for me in style, but she's genuine and it makes me feel like ...more
Cindy
Nov 21, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it
So much more approachable than something like the "Ball book of Canning". Takes a lot of the fear factor away and makes canning look cool and hip and new.

I only tried one of the recipes 'Pear and Ginger' preserves. It came out very good. There are several others I would like to try, like the fermented yard long beans, and the strawberry basil jam, but it's the wrong season.

I checked this out from the library, but it's now on my purchase list.
Sydney Young
Jun 18, 2012 Sydney Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I think this girl's life somewhat mirrors mine -- I always helped with the garden but stayed out of the way for canning. Now I find myself with a garden and the desire for fresh food in the winter. This is an easy read and helps you see that canning isn't difficult at all. Thanks Liana for helping me can my first batch of tomato sauce ever!
Jun 05, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Maybe it's preemptive to give this a 5 before I even make any of the recipes, but there's no way I'm going to hate them. The recipes vary from traditional (strawberry jam) to modern (chamomile scented strawberry syrup), and they are organized by type (fruit or veg) and season.
EdibleNotesReviews
Canning and preserving has returned of late to the repertoire of home cooks and chefs and it deserves to be a ‘go-to’ skill without the fear and complicated mess experienced by earlier generations of practitioners. Canning for a New Generation (Abrams Books, 2010) delivers on its vision to reconnect today’s cooks with canning and preserving with solid information, flavorful seasonal recipes and a globally inspired touch.

Author Liana Krissoff almost immediately takes the fear out of canning – the
SallyHP
Aug 10, 2011 SallyHP rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
The postal carrier made my day this afternoon when she delivered my birthday gift from my sister, Sherri. I've been lusting after it for so long on my amazon wish list that when I first opened the package, I thought it was something I already owned. I love the photos, I love the font, I love the print of the section pages and I love the paper on which those photos and fonts and prints are created.

In short, I love this book! Not only does it have amazing recipes for everything from Raspberry jam
Sally Moore
Jul 29, 2013 Sally Moore rated it it was amazing
I love to cook new interesting recipes, so this canning book, with it's creative twist on everything, is a perfect fit for me.

Note - I am a beginning canner.

Recipes I've tried so far:
Strawberry & Lavender Jam - Delicious but I let it cook down too long (beginners error).
Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam - YUM!
Mango & Peach Habanero Hot Sauce - Thick and spicy and delicious.
Long-Fermented Kosher Dill Pickles (still fermenting)
Quicker Kosher Dills - Not crispy as I didn't know where to find G
Stephanie
Oct 31, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Love this book and I have already tried a couple of the items in the book and have many more flagged to do. In fact my partner is helping with this list, ha ha! His favorite so far is the "Simple pickled jalapeno slices." He has been putting them on everything from his salads to his sandwiches!

Ms. Krissoff's book has good pictures and the directions are clear and easy to follow. She also has made the batches in smaller sizes, unlike many canning books that put up great pounds of items at a time,
Jennifer Hudak
Aug 16, 2015 Jennifer Hudak rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of cookbooks and normally I don't review them here, but this one was so beautiful and drool-inducing I had to share! Clear instructions for jams that are made without commercial pectin, plus simple instructions for canning vegetables, making pickles, and fermenting foods such as sauerkraut and kimchee. There are also recipes that use the canned foods, from cakes and pies to main dishes and cocktails. Top it off with stunning photographs. I literally read this book from beginning to ...more
Mathew Carruthers
Jun 18, 2012 Mathew Carruthers rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for the canning enthusiast, from seasoned pro to absolute beginner. I've been a home canner since my late 20's and frequently helped family canning efforts in my childhood, so most of the how-to info was nothing new to me, but the recipes are fabulous. Most helpful aspect of the book is its organization - recipes are grouped by season and subdivided into fruit or vegetable recipes. Clever. Knowing what is in season should help to minimize cost if you aren't growing your own fruits ...more
Sherri
Jun 29, 2016 Sherri rated it it was amazing
A few summers ago, I tried canning. I made spaghetti sauce with friends, strawberry jelly, apple butter, blueberry butter, chutney, and even canned some apple slices. They came out pretty good for my first attempt, if I do say so myself.

I haven't done it since. But, that may be changing. I was offered an opportunity to review the "updated and expanded edition" of Canning for a New Generation by Liana Krissoff, and I'm pretty sure I'm ready to give it a whirl again.

Krissoff takes the scary out of
Bernie
Jun 29, 2016 Bernie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
I started canning about three summers ago...and found it EXTREMELY difficult to find books that didn't have a high ratio of sugar to fruit. All the traditional jam/jelly/preserve recipes out there have so much sugar! Alas, this book came along - and it has been a sea change. I have made about 4 recipes from this book, some multiple times (hello, Orange and Rhubarb jam, the best combo EVER!), and have been pleased with the results. As have my friends, who receive the fruits of my labor. Literally ...more
Mrs W
Aug 01, 2014 Mrs W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This book is marketed as an updated version of an old-fashioned skill--hipster canning, maybe? There are some bold recipes here, and sugar and salt are held to a minimum, and extra processed ingredients are cut out, which I suppose is modern-generation. But really, what we have here is an awesome canning book.

What I like about it:
• Divided into four sections, one for each season (each season is divided into fruits and vegetables)
• Includes recipes for ways to use the canned fruits/vegetables
• Al
Cody
Jun 23, 2014 Cody rated it really liked it
I have no shame.
Cat
Aug 10, 2012 Cat rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I have wanted to can for a long time, and my partner got me a kit and this book for Christmas. It's the perfect guide for me. It made me feel comfortable enough to just jump in, but more importantly, it uses natural sources of pectin, has interesting recipes, and is more concerned about flavor than a perfect look. Just my kind of cooking! I've made the classic peach jam, the plum cardamom jam, and am planning on making the charred tomato salsa soon.
Katherine
Oct 15, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing
If you're interested in learning to can or just want a couple simple, but yummy, recipes to try, this is the book for you. The instructions are simple and straight-forward. The author takes a light-hearted approach to canning making a newbies first attempt fun and enjoyable, instead of a nerve-wracking experience. Give it go and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Carol
Oct 09, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
My husband gave me this book as a birthday present. I have a few canning/preserving books and didn't think I needed another one, and am happy that I now own this one!

The narratives are fun to read, and I have bookmarked many recipes for future use. I'll update when I have tried them.
Jenna
Nov 14, 2011 Jenna rated it really liked it
A beautiful, inspiring book with great-sounding recipes for both canned products and foods with those products. I got this from the library but may have to get a copy for myself so I can try out some of what's included in here. Accessible-sounding recipes for a newbie.
Jenna (BadKitty) -- IsProbablyReading --
Fantastic book. My first book on canning (accidentally) and it got me fired up about storing food with new and exciting flavors! Her fresh contemporary approach (as advertised) is very easy to identify with and highly approachable. This one will always be a favorite!
Rebecca
Dec 12, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Really have to stop checking out cookbooks from the library, as now I want to try my hand at canning. The author does a great job of taking the mystery out of canning. Plus includes a lot of fabulous recipes to try.
Heidi
Feb 02, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
This book takes all the practicalities of canning and adds some modern twists with several interesting recipes and beautiful photography. Of course I am partial because the author is my friend.
Cristalle
Sep 06, 2012 Cristalle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book completely changed the way I viewed canning and preserving. Not only does it make canning accessible for the home cook, but it brings interesting and exciting flavors to the home
Catherine
Apr 27, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, cooking, canning
Some really neat-looking recipes in here; lots of interesting jams and jellies and pickles. Seems pretty straight-forward and not too intimidating a process to try.
Emily
Jan 09, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful book that covers more than preserving the traditional fruit. I like that it is broken up by season and then by fruit and vegetable. Recipes for preserving things like garlic, ginger, and cocktail onions are unique. Flavor combinations tend to be more traditional but the book contains more "global" recipes for foods like pickled cabbage or Moroccan carrots. My biggest complaint about this book is that recipes are written in a narrative style which while attractive is not functional when yo ...more
Sarah Goebel
Jun 09, 2012 Sarah Goebel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook
this is the rare book that i'll actually buy after borrowing it from the library. it even has a recipe for clotted cream! :D
Sonja Isaacson
Aug 07, 2015 Sonja Isaacson rated it liked it
Shelves: food-beverage
Recipes tried: Pickled Fennel with Orange and Mint, Zucchini Bread-and-Butter Pickles with Ginger (no Ginger)

I'm surprised I didn't use this book more. it's laid out by seasons with a section each for frits and vegetables. I like this style so like all strawberry recipes are together, etc. It does also have recipes utilizing the canned goods. it also seems to have more international flavors. drawback there is I have plain taste and a number of things may be either not likely to come in my CSA bo
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Tart and Sweet: 101 Canning and Pickling Recipes for the Modern Kitchen
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • The Joy of Pickling: 300 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Home made
  • Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours