Start by marking “Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry” as Want to Read:
Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry

Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,004 ratings  ·  85 reviews
“When I was growing up, canning was for old folks and cranks and separatists,” writes Liana Krissoff in her introduction to Canning for a New Generation. But not anymore. With soaring food prices and the increasing popularity of all things domestic and DIY, there’s never been a better time to revisit the centuries-old techniques of preserving food at home.

This hip, modern...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Canning for a New Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canning for a New Generation

Stacy
If you think that canning is for grandmas, this book might change your mind. With sleek photographs, a section of cute tear-off jar labels, and recipes for both the classic and reimagined, this book will guide a new generation through the ins and outs of food preservation. Do-It-Yourself fans will find recipes organized by season, both for canned foods and recipes to compliment the fruits of their labors.

The range of recipes is impressive, with everything from lemon curd to Chinese Plum Sauce,...more
Alexis
I used up my enormous stash of mason jars trying recipes from this book. Three of the four recipes I tried were fantastic. The fourth was my fault--I used commercial pectin instead of green apples and the jam turned out gloppy. Lesson learned: shortcuts yield disappointment. Krissoff's directions are clear and concise and her commentary is engaging and personal without being precious. I checked it out from the library but I think I'm going to have to buy it.
Crystal
Aug 28, 2011 Crystal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: home canning enthusiasts and novices
Shelves: cookbooks
Canning for a New Generation is a terrific resource -- and my go-to book for home canning. Having recently gotten into canning, I wanted a book that didn't call for buckets of sugar in each jam recipe, that stayed away from pre-packaged pectin, and that was a bit more creative in its use of ingredients. In other words, I didn't want "your grandmother's canning cookbook." This book definitely delivers on all of those accounts.

Krissoff's preserve and jam recipes call for far less sugar -- and no b...more
Helen
I'm not sure how one counts a cookbook as read (I read all the intros, lead ins, sidebars, and instructions, just not every recipe through and through), especially when it is about a technique that I don't know how to do yet, but my visceral response was very positive. I can't say I am utterly unintimidated by canning now, but the recipes in this book and the stories make me want to try. The author is a wee bit too hipster homesteader for me in style, but she's genuine and it makes me feel like...more
Cindy
So much more approachable than something like the "Ball book of Canning". Takes a lot of the fear factor away and makes canning look cool and hip and new.

I only tried one of the recipes 'Pear and Ginger' preserves. It came out very good. There are several others I would like to try, like the fermented yard long beans, and the strawberry basil jam, but it's the wrong season.

I checked this out from the library, but it's now on my purchase list.
Sydney Young
I think this girl's life somewhat mirrors mine -- I always helped with the garden but stayed out of the way for canning. Now I find myself with a garden and the desire for fresh food in the winter. This is an easy read and helps you see that canning isn't difficult at all. Thanks Liana for helping me can my first batch of tomato sauce ever!
Love this book! Maybe it's preemptive to give this a 5 before I even make any of the recipes, but there's no way I'm going to hate them. The recipes vary from traditional (strawberry jam) to modern (chamomile scented strawberry syrup), and they are organized by type (fruit or veg) and season.
EdibleNotesReviews
Canning and preserving has returned of late to the repertoire of home cooks and chefs and it deserves to be a ‘go-to’ skill without the fear and complicated mess experienced by earlier generations of practitioners. Canning for a New Generation (Abrams Books, 2010) delivers on its vision to reconnect today’s cooks with canning and preserving with solid information, flavorful seasonal recipes and a globally inspired touch.

Author Liana Krissoff almost immediately takes the fear out of canning – the...more
SallyHP
The postal carrier made my day this afternoon when she delivered my birthday gift from my sister, Sherri. I've been lusting after it for so long on my amazon wish list that when I first opened the package, I thought it was something I already owned. I love the photos, I love the font, I love the print of the section pages and I love the paper on which those photos and fonts and prints are created.

In short, I love this book! Not only does it have amazing recipes for everything from Raspberry jam...more
Sally Moore
I love to cook new interesting recipes, so this canning book, with it's creative twist on everything, is a perfect fit for me.

Note - I am a beginning canner.

Recipes I've tried so far:
Strawberry & Lavender Jam - Delicious but I let it cook down too long (beginners error).
Rhubarb & Strawberry Jam - YUM!
Mango & Peach Habanero Hot Sauce - Thick and spicy and delicious.
Long-Fermented Kosher Dill Pickles (still fermenting)
Quicker Kosher Dills - Not crispy as I didn't know where to find G...more
Stephanie
Love this book and I have already tried a couple of the items in the book and have many more flagged to do. In fact my partner is helping with this list, ha ha! His favorite so far is the "Simple pickled jalapeno slices." He has been putting them on everything from his salads to his sandwiches!

Ms. Krissoff's book has good pictures and the directions are clear and easy to follow. She also has made the batches in smaller sizes, unlike many canning books that put up great pounds of items at a time,...more
I read a lot of cookbooks and normally I don't review them here, but this one was so beautiful and drool-inducing I had to share! Clear instructions for jams that are made without commercial pectin, plus simple instructions for canning vegetables, making pickles, and fermenting foods such as sauerkraut and kimchee. There are also recipes that use the canned foods, from cakes and pies to main dishes and cocktails. Top it off with stunning photographs. I literally read this book from beginning to...more
Mathew Carruthers
Excellent book for the canning enthusiast, from seasoned pro to absolute beginner. I've been a home canner since my late 20's and frequently helped family canning efforts in my childhood, so most of the how-to info was nothing new to me, but the recipes are fabulous. Most helpful aspect of the book is its organization - recipes are grouped by season and subdivided into fruit or vegetable recipes. Clever. Knowing what is in season should help to minimize cost if you aren't growing your own fruits...more
Mrs W
Aug 01, 2014 Mrs W rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This book is marketed as an updated version of an old-fashioned skill--hipster canning, maybe? There are some bold recipes here, and sugar and salt are held to a minimum, and extra processed ingredients are cut out, which I suppose is modern-generation. But really, what we have here is an awesome canning book.

What I like about it:
• Divided into four sections, one for each season (each season is divided into fruits and vegetables)
• Includes recipes for ways to use the canned fruits/vegetables
• Al...more
Cody
I have no shame.
Cat
I love this book. I have wanted to can for a long time, and my partner got me a kit and this book for Christmas. It's the perfect guide for me. It made me feel comfortable enough to just jump in, but more importantly, it uses natural sources of pectin, has interesting recipes, and is more concerned about flavor than a perfect look. Just my kind of cooking! I've made the classic peach jam, the plum cardamom jam, and am planning on making the charred tomato salsa soon.
Katherine
If you're interested in learning to can or just want a couple simple, but yummy, recipes to try, this is the book for you. The instructions are simple and straight-forward. The author takes a light-hearted approach to canning making a newbies first attempt fun and enjoyable, instead of a nerve-wracking experience. Give it go and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Carol
My husband gave me this book as a birthday present. I have a few canning/preserving books and didn't think I needed another one, and am happy that I now own this one!

The narratives are fun to read, and I have bookmarked many recipes for future use. I'll update when I have tried them.
Jenna
A beautiful, inspiring book with great-sounding recipes for both canned products and foods with those products. I got this from the library but may have to get a copy for myself so I can try out some of what's included in here. Accessible-sounding recipes for a newbie.
SilverOwl
Fantastic book. My first book on canning (accidentally) and it got me fired up about storing food with new and exciting flavors! Her fresh contemporary approach (as advertised) is very easy to identify with and highly approachable. This one will always be a favorite!
Rebecca
Really have to stop checking out cookbooks from the library, as now I want to try my hand at canning. The author does a great job of taking the mystery out of canning. Plus includes a lot of fabulous recipes to try.
Heidi
This book takes all the practicalities of canning and adds some modern twists with several interesting recipes and beautiful photography. Of course I am partial because the author is my friend.
Cristalle
This book completely changed the way I viewed canning and preserving. Not only does it make canning accessible for the home cook, but it brings interesting and exciting flavors to the home
Catherine
Some really neat-looking recipes in here; lots of interesting jams and jellies and pickles. Seems pretty straight-forward and not too intimidating a process to try.
Sarah Goebel
this is the rare book that i'll actually buy after borrowing it from the library. it even has a recipe for clotted cream! :D
Yaaresse
Disclaimer: I've yet to make anything from the book, but I have read it. I picked it up as a $3.99 e-book on Amazon mostly for the grapefruit marmalade and Thai green curry recipes.

There are probably only a handful of recipes in this that I'll use, and I found the writing style a little too chatty. It remains to be seen how solid the recipes are once our summer farmers' market gets going. I would have preferred a more complete table of contents rather than just have links to the season and cate...more
Rachel
Canning and preserving always seemed a bit intimidating to me, to be honest. My grandparents always had a garden and canned tomatoes and whatever else they grew every summer. I understood the point of it, but it just seemed a bit over my domestic capabilities, which I'll admit are not the best. Liana Krissoff, as in her whole grains cookbook, makes canning really easy to understand and attempt. She has a lot of traditional recipes in here that everyone will recognize. However, there are also a l...more
Katherine
This is the book that seriously got me into canning. I have become famous for my canned peaches in vanilla syrup and this is where the recipe comes from. Lots of unusual recipes that have less sugar and don't rely on store bought pectin or other artificial ingredients.
Ellen Bell
I like this canning book because the recipes range from the typical (strawberry jam) to the unusual (kimichi). However, I wish the author didn't limit herself to just high acid recipes. As creative as she obviously is, I think she could do a lot more amazing things if she branched out into pressure canned foods, too. On the plus side, her photography is appealing (though it might be nice if she featured photos of all the recipes in the book), and I love the fact that she's canning her jams, jell...more
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round
  • Canning & Preserving with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Jams, Jellies, Pickles, Chutneys & More
  • The Joy of Pickling - Revised: 250 Flavor-Packed Recipes for Vegetables and More from Garden or Market
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Ball Blue Book of Preserving
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving: Over 300 Delicious Recipes to Use Year-Round
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • Home made
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Tartine Bread
  • Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • Home Cheese Making: Recipes for 75 Delicious Cheeses
Whole Grains for a New Generation: Light Dishes, Hearty Meals, Sweet Treats, and Sundry Snacks for the Everyday Cook NBC Sunday Night Football Cookbook Hot Drinks for Cold Nights: Great Hot Chocolates, Tasty Teas & Cozy Coffee Drinks Secrets of Slow Cooking: Creating Extraordinary Food with Your Slow Cooker Vegetarian for a New Generation: Seasonal Vegetable Dishes for Vegetarians, Vegans, and the Rest of Us