Sister Wendy on Prayer

Sister Wendy on Prayer

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Sister Wendy Beckett, adored and renowned art historian, has spent years in silence and contemplation in her calling as a nun. Her celebrated television specials and books about art have led her many admirers to ask about her own faith and practices. For the first time, in this thoughtful examination of the nature of prayer, she reveals her deeply held beliefs about her rel...more
Published May 12th 2010 by Harmony (first published 2006)

Todd
If Sister Wendy had been responsible for my cathechism I might still be Catholic. What a tremendous spiritual and humble heart. Her words are filled with love, wisdom and generosity. This is a very sweet series of meditations on prayer - practical and deeply profound and simple.
Yolanda
Sister Wendy truly sets in to your heart and explores and explains so many types of prayer and how powerful each method can be. Prayer- truly God's time
RH Walters
A wholehearted and perfectly articulated book, whether you are a believer or not. As with her art criticism, her simplicity is soothing and startling.
Carolin
Sister Wendy makes spirituality uncomplicated and human.
Jill
Good book and interesting, thorough introduction that helped me when I was getting ready to do a presentation on Sister Wendy for my Art Crit class. I'm glad I got to research her over some of the other critics my fellow classmates' chose. She has had a great life that was fun to read. The actual book itself was cool too.

I was curious about her stance on prayer since I am a Protestant Christian and many of the things she said were very wise. In particular, I loved her reassurance that one does...more
Melanie Rigney
My goodness! I have a confession to make. I had kind of avoided Sister Wendy until this point, and now I'm very sorry I had. What a lovely book, and such a lovely, down-to-earth accessible writing style. I found myself making copious notes. Here's an example: “The astonishing thing about prayer is our inability to accept that if we have need of it, as we do, then because of God’s goodness, it cannot be something that is difficult. Accept that God is good and that your relationship with Him is pr...more
Huw
Very good - she is has a way with words and is refreshingly direct.
got this from the library on 12/1/09 and will read slowly over next month or so...

"The essential act of prayer is to stand unprotected before God" (8).

when we pray/come to god we "bring [ourselves:] in whatever state [we:] are in and offer that to God.... God does not ask us to pass a test of how beautiful our feelings are. He simply wants us to pray." 16

I am wary of using the word 'God'. Essentially, this is a meaningless word...more
Taylor Storey
I read about 40 page of this, but it couldn't keep my attention. It is a mildly interesting story of this nun who has an art critic tv show in Britain (if I remember correctly) she spends a lot of time in prayer...

Probably too anecdotal/devotional for me right now. I'm on a Thoreau trip and can't get enough. So I'm dropping it for now, maybe another time.
Nancy Gudiswitz
A friend gave me this book to read. It wasn't something I'd choose for myself.

I loved it from start to finish. I found it a fascinating biography of a nun who chose

a life of silence but ended up feeling compelled to share her thoughts on art.

Prayer is a difficult subject but she gives great insight on how to pray.
Gina
Bought and read this a few years ago. It is a nice, short book. Fairly simple, but sort of an introduction to prayer, how-to, etc. I may re-read again, and then I can put a worthwhile review in here. All I can say is that I recommend it. She's much more open-minded than I'd have expected from a Catholic nun, and maybe that just shows what I know ;)~
Grant Trevarthen
Having long been an admirer of Sister Wendy Beckett, I'm totally in awe
of how she lives solely for service to God, she denies herself everything
in her quest.
She describes in her own quiet way,they way to pray, and the situations
in which to do so. It becomes a more natural thing to do as it should.

Suzie Louis
I'll read anything written by Sister Wendy although I don't share her faith I really like her style. She is eloquent when tackling this difficult topic making it accessible to a heathen like me. I recommend this if only as an insight into the nature and working of faith. A difficult subject dealt with elegrantly.
In this book, Sister Wendy shares her thoughts on prayer, which I found to be very intriguing at times. She also speaks about art, and critiques a few famous paintings which are shown in the book. I liked reading it a little bit at a time. Food for thought that way.
Jan
I actually enjoy Sister Wendy's take on art. She cracks me up. And explains so I can understand and appreciate.

Her book on prayer is okay. Nothing extraordinary. She doesn't talk about art at all.
Bron
If you had told me a few years ago that I'd find the thoughts of a Catholic nun very inspiring - I wouldn't have believed you! But then, I suspect Sister Wendy is an unusual nun, an unusual person.
Melissa Forbes
I appreciate the short passages, as Sister Wendy offers much to consider in short spaces. I don't always agree with her thinking, but I adore the humble, sweet way she presents it.
Tracey  Wilde
This gives you a lot to think about and I think she is a very interesting writer. My problem is her certainty. Her certainty in God makes her look at things differently from me.
Malbadeen
Hey Sarah - remember the sister Wendy years?
Janeaustenfan19
A beautiful and insightful book.
Amy
didn't get to finish it
Beth Melillo
Beth Melillo marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Corrie
Corrie marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Behzad
Behzad marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Cindi
Cindi marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sister Wendy Beckett is a South African-born British art expert, consecrated virgin and contemplative hermit who became an unlikely celebrity during the 1990s, presenting a series of acclaimed art history documentaries for the BBC.
More about Wendy Beckett...
Sister Wendy's Story of Painting (Enhanced and Expanded Edition) Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces Sister Wendy's American Collection Sister Wendy's Grand Tour: Discovering Europe's Great Art Sister Wendy's Book Of Saints