Start by marking “Basic Chess Endings” as Want to Read:
Basic Chess Endings

Basic Chess Endings

Basic Chess Endings, written by International Grandmaster Reuben Fine, is the most authoritative reference on the endgame. Serious students of the game find the work unmatched in its depth and range. Now, Grandmaster Pal Benko has revised this classic with the latest innovations in the endgame and adapted the book to algebraic notation. The result is what chess aficionados ...more
Published November 11th 2003 by Random House Puzzles & Games (first published October 27th 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Basic Chess Endings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Chess Endings

Bart Breen
May 24, 2012 Bart Breen rated it really liked it
A few Tweaks needed but Still Amazing

Openings are the realm of the beginner understanding basic Chess theory.

Middle games are the realm of the intermediate player mastering strategy and tactics.

End Games are the realm of the Chess Master. It's not enough to have a theoretically won game. You have to actually be able to finish your opponent off and translate it into a victory.

Once you begin to understand the end game, your view of Chess in the openings and middle games will change because you wil
Alec
Dec 14, 2014 Alec rated it it was amazing

The Bible of Chess Endings for decades it's a great book I have the corrected version and Fine's original version he wrote in the 1940's that I bought for 0.01 from a Canadian book dealer brand new just had to pay for the shipping $6 both are great!

People complain about the remaining mistakes in the revised book but we must remember this is a classic any GM who tinkers with the content in the future must be extremely careful not to mess with the book and change Fine's work to the point that it's
Robert
Mar 19, 2013 Robert rated it liked it
When I was young and there were not many books available about the endgame, this book was a must read. As GM John Nunn has pointed out: "Fine is at his best when he gives general descriptions and the book has been rightly praised for its instructional value."
However, Nunn also says: "...there are many errors in the concrete analysis of positions." Because of that I avoid to use that book when I work with my students.
These days, when I need a book with very well written general explanations and
Jacob
Mar 02, 2008 Jacob added it
About a month ago a friend beat me twice at chess while he was drunk and high. I would like to think that I'm a pretty fair chess player. I am a little out of practice right but I know my way around the board and have been playing for years. I was once playing chess with a girl, probably one of the smartest people I know and a great chess player, and I said to her, check in four and she said no way. I could see it though. I knew exactly how each move would unfold and what the result would be. Th ...more
Don
Jul 16, 2011 Don rated it liked it
I've read many many chess books and this book comes with rave reviews. In some respects that is true. The in-depth coverage of each and every possible piece position. For example Opposite colored bishops draws with one pawn draws with two pawns ect. is almost encyclopedic in nature.

On the other hand the book was written some time ago. Before algebraic notation and even though the book has algebraic notation incorporated into the text you still get the feel that its a fairly old book.

In summary:
Serge Pierro
Oct 13, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it liked it
Shelves: chess
For many years this was considered the bible of chess endgame study. Fine covers a wide range of endgames, and provides the serious student with a means to strengthen their endgame play.
notgettingenough
May 21, 2010 notgettingenough rated it really liked it
Shelves: games
Another bible gone west.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Diana Lupse
Diana Lupse marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Dane Wozniak
Dane Wozniak marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
LTMNhat
LTMNhat rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Stephen Murdoch
Stephen Murdoch rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Loh
Loh marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Benjamin Madrid
Benjamin Madrid marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Dayanand Sindhu
Dayanand Sindhu marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
John Milton
John Milton marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Enrico Macario
Enrico Macario marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Donald
Donald is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2016
Mark Engelen
Mark Engelen marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Edwin Meijer
Edwin Meijer marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Topher Fischer
Topher Fischer marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016