Start by marking “Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,323 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
Book Yourself Solid-"now in paperback-is a complete instructional guide for startingn and growing a successful service business. It gives you simple, yet effective techniques for creating relentless demand and endless leads. It includes more than 200 proven marketing strategies for attracting new clients, earning more referrals, and building profitable, long-lasting profes ...more
Published June 4th 2010 by Wiley (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Book Yourself Solid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book Yourself Solid

Josh Patrick
Jul 17, 2013 Josh Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, sales
I would have given this book five stars if Mr. Port had not promoted his services at least once a chapter. I get it, he wants to show how his methodology works. At the same time, I got the point. Mr. Port promotes opt in marketing while using push marketing during the entire book.

Now, on to the book itself. You need to read this book if you're in a professional service business. There is great nugget after great nugget that you can use. I suspect that if you only use 10% of what's in this book,
Kevin
Jun 05, 2013 Kevin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: celebrated-crap
"Snake Oil for the Empirically Impaired"

So friends, let me tell you how much I hated this book that I did not finish and won't: take your pick as to which (if any) gets your attention.

a) I kept it several extra days from the library to carve out the time to write this review.
b) It is one of the very few books (I was an English major, and have a catholic reading taste) I refused to finish. The only one that comes to mind as being as unintentionally ridiculous and celebrated (for very different re
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 Farnoosh Brock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
Most honest, USEFUL, brilliant & Actionable book & I AM getting booked solid!

Since I first heard about Michael Port, I changed the way I have my conversations with my clients, I became fully self-expressed and totally honest, I said no to lousy clients, I raised my rates 3 times, I shared my package pricing on my website for full transparency, and I am getting booked a lot more frequently.

I am still not even done with his book - I am doing the workbook and seriously paying attention to e
Trevor
Feb 21, 2010 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, 2010
Michael Port begins his book practically: "[T:]here may be two simple reasons why you don't serve as many clients as you'd to today. You either don't know what to do to attract and secure more clients or you know what to do but you're not actually doing it" (p. xxvii).

In the pages that follow, he unpacks his "Booked Solid System" to which he ascribes the power to solve both of those stated problems.

Contrasting "old school" and "new school" marketing methods, he writes, "[Many:] have come to beli
Stacey Moore
Jan 23, 2008 Stacey Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any service professional.
Shelves: business, marketing
I have recommended this book to many people...all have thanked me. More than a typical treatise on how to create a lead funnel, it is about serving with integrity and being rewarded for doing what you love. If you are a service professional wanting to acquire clients, read it.
Gabriela
Oct 15, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 'Book Yourself Solid', Michael Port offers a manual that shows how any professional in the business of offering services can start and grow a profitable business. The book entails over 200 marketing techniques aimed at generating clients, obtaining more referrals and building a fruitful relationship with your existing clients.

I like the fact that this book takes a conversational tone so that the author uses simple language without the jargon. The book begins by differentiating between the tra
Rachel
Jun 28, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this was interesting and worthwhile but the second half was too outdated to be compelling. It's amazing to realize how much social media has changed business. Ended up skimming starting at the referral chapter.
Chad Warner
Jan 26, 2015 Chad Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: salespeople, marketers, entrepreneurs, service professionals, business owners
Recommended to Chad by: Goodreads
This is one of the best sales and marketing books for service professionals that I’ve read. It walks you through how to define your target market, build credibility, and promote/market in various ways. The written exercises and action steps encourage application. It’s logically organized and easy to read.

Topics include personal branding, talking about what you do, selling, networking, direct outreach, referrals, web, speaking, writing, and keeping in touch.

I like Port’s non-sleazy approach to sa
John Kenworthy
Jun 10, 2013 John Kenworthy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
This visual version is a great improvement on the original book - which was good. The ease of following the ideas in Michael Port's book to develop a new, or existing professional service business means that anyone can do it.

I particularly like the access to templates and the app to use to actually do what the book recommends to create a clear plan of your target market, what you offer to them and why and then how to market effectively.

Highly recommended for anyone in professional service busine
Julia Doherty
Jan 11, 2014 Julia Doherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after a recommendation from Michael Hyatt. I must admit, I read every single word but there was really nothing new for me but it was a good prompt to highlight things that I really should be doing.

One thing that did annoy me a little bit was the constant plug of his own material, seminars, workshops, carts etc. I intend to write a book this year and I've made a mental note to not self promote as much, so a valuable lesson learned here.

Overall, I would recommend thus book.
Chuck
Nov 14, 2013 Chuck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had great hopes for this book. Alas, it is a rehash of the old, long discredited "Do what you love and the money will follow."

But wait! The author has found THE secret formula, and once you finish his book, you can take a course and get "certified" to make money teaching others the secret formula.

And after that, I guess we'll all get rich raising llamas.

Amy
Oct 10, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a service provider and looking to improve on yourself and grow your business, this book is an absolute staple for your education. I insist you download the free chapter on your Kindle so that you can be convinced to buy it yourself. It has been one of the Top 2 resources to help me grow my client base and increase business.
Darrin Holst
meh...It was ok. The last couple chapters taught me how to use twitter and create a blog. Probably not as useful as it could have been considering my current employment status.
Wendy
Jan 31, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Finally finished it - It got boring to me - I think I could have written most of this myself. Hmmmm........
Kelsey Jones
Jun 14, 2016 Kelsey Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a little outdated in the web part, esp if you're in marketing like me. but the rest was extremely, extremely valuable and the book has heavy highlighting and dog-eared pages, which is always a good sign.
Laurie
May 26, 2009 Laurie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Unbelieveable! I have been going through this book with a book club and it is a major business generator. I have a group of friends that I am moving through it with chapter by chapter and it has really made a difference. I am going to definitely buy the next book.
Randy Fox
Aug 22, 2013 Randy Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book far surpassed my expectations. There are real, useful, implementable ideas that will work to help grow almost any business. It could take a lifetime to get everything in place but doing just 10% of the suggestions will make a huge difference
John Markey
Oct 28, 2014 John Markey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent business book for any small business professional. The Book Yourself Solid System provides a thoughtful framework and practical advice for building and growing a professional services business. All of the early chapters are incredibly clear and well-developed with thoughtful and practical questions. Those sections are definitely worth five stars. The final section of the book - regarding social media and websites - has some useful information. But, given the always changing nature o ...more
Shawn Grimes
Sep 03, 2009 Shawn Grimes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book about service oriented professions and marketing yourself and keeping your customers interested and happy.
John Jamieson
This is a good book for the beginner or intermediate business owners looking to build their brand.
Loy Machedo
Dec 26, 2013 Loy Machedo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About Michael Port
Michael Port has been called “an uncommonly honest author” by the Boston Globe and a “marketing guru” by The Wall Street Journal. He is the author of four bestselling books including Book Yourself Solid, Beyond Booked Solid, The Contrarian Effect, and the New York Times Bestseller, The Think Big Manifesto. Michael blogs for the Huffington Post and has written monthly columns on sales and marketing for Entrepreneur Magazine and American Express Open Forum, is a regular guest on
Jamie
*Read up to chapter 6.
Lauren Sheil
According to the reviews on Goodreads.com people either love Michael Port’s client building system or they hate it. It isn’t very often that you see words like “genius” and “charlatan” in the same comment stream.

A lot of what Mr. Port writes may seem obvious. His style is delivered with a level of confidence and self promotion that many people see as arrogant and self-serving. But it is presented in a clear, systematic way that makes the advice relevant and actionable in a way that is all too ra
Susan Sullivan
Sep 17, 2014 Susan Sullivan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mentor recommended this book to me and I found it extremely useful. I'd suspected that I needed to put more time into my service business to get it to fly, but wasn't sure about some of the action steps I needed to take related to marketing and publicity. This books spells them out for you in an easy-to-read style that felt as if Michael himself was having a personal chat with me. It made me realize that I've been trying to juggle too many disparate businesses and that I need to narrow my foc ...more
Tiffany Wright
Sep 09, 2011 Tiffany Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I consider myself a strategy, finance, and operations expert of sorts. I am definitely not a sales and marketing person. So when I read this book, with its methodical yet engaging approach, I was entranced. I like how the author, Michael Port, first gets you to identify and confront your fears. I have found that by breaking down internal barriers, it is easier to absorb useful information and act on it. Obviously he knows this and successfully incorporates this concept/belief into "Book Yourself ...more
Robert
Jul 04, 2012 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is one of the few 'must' reads books I have come across for those that run their own business. I really got a lot out of the information provided and it have given me a list of things that I need to do to work on and improve my business.

The book is easy to read and takes you through a logic progression of helping you understand what your business is, what it does and how it can help customers. I particularly like the focus on building a business that aims to satisfy customers. I a
Cara
Feb 19, 2013 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking this up again Feb. 2013.

...

Holy crap. Never read this whole book in two days if you're already depressed and feeling inadequate. You will hurt yourself.

Why did I do that? I was comparing it to a $600 program I bought; wanted to see if I could get roughly the same thing from this book (if so, I wanted to know before the refund period ends next week!). As far as the info goes, the answer is YES. I'm 99% sure the program was based on the system described in this book. It's almost identical.
Sep 08, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The three-star rating in this case is a neutral rating. I reserve final judgment until I actually start being able to put some of these things into action to see how well they really work for me.

In the meantime, it had an easy, personable voice. The concepts seem pretty solid, though most of them were not exactly foreign even to me with my horrid lack of marketing skills.

I'll be interested to see how it progresses; until I have more solid answers, I can at least recommend giving it a try.
Babou
Feb 18, 2016 Babou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, self-help
In every chapter it calls for actions. You need to have the the workbook handy. I also liked the Illustrated version of this book "Book Yourself Solid Illustrated: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even if You Hate Marketing and Selling
By: Michael Port; Jocelyn Wallace". I found Illustrated version is more visually engaging!
Curtismchale
Jan 06, 2015 Curtismchale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my fourth or fifth time going through Book Yourself Solid, but honestly only my third time doing the work in the book. For all the awesome stuff it offer’s it’s a lot of work.

Book Yourself Solid gives it’s entire premise away in the title. The whole goal of the book is for you to learn how to get booked solid.

It starts by helping you build a ‘velvet rope policy’ where you identify your ideal clients and then build a process to only let them through your velvet rope to work with you.

Most
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches - Third Edition
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • Little Black Book of Connections: 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to Rich Relationships
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Wealthy Freelancer
  • What Clients Love: A Field Guide to Growing Your Business
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • Smart Calling: Eliminate the Fear, Failure, and Rejection from Cold Calling
  • How to Sell Your Way Through Life
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • The Millionaire Messenger: Make a Difference and a Fortune Sharing Your Advice
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • The E-Myth Contractor: Why Most Contractors' Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs

“We don’t get contacts, we don’t find contacts, we don’t have contacts; we make connections with real people.” 3 likes
“you are the company you keep.” 1 likes