Start by marking “The Doula Advantage: Your Complete Guide to Having An Empowered and Positive Birth With the Help of a Professional Childbirth Assistant” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  94 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Doulas and midwives are increasingly popular options for childbirth; this book answers questions for those considering the help of a doula or midwife at birth.

Take Control of Your Childbirth Experience
New moms are spreading the word to pregnant women just like you: Doulas make pregnancy and childbirth the celebratory experience it is meant to be! Doulas are professionally
Published March 25th 2003 by Prima Lifestyles

To ask other readers questions about The Doula Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doula Advantage

Rindy Girl
Aug 21, 2007 Rindy Girl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: future moms/pregnant women
This book gives a really thorough description of what a doula is, how a doula can help a pregnant mother during and after her birth and how to find a doula that is right for you. This book is backed with research and statistics to help support the use of doulas. After reading this book I can't imagine any woman wanting to go into labor without a doula! They can provide fountains of information, emotional support for you and your spouse and pump you full of empowerment! The facts support it - dou ...more
Vickie
Feb 01, 2009 Vickie rated it really liked it
Very informative. Ry and I interviewed a doula yesterday that we will probably hire. Reading this book helped prepare me to ask good questions and convinced me that a doula is for me, at least for my first child birth. The doula I interviewed seems great too.
Bridget Jeffries
Nov 27, 2014 Bridget Jeffries rated it really liked it
I liked it. It builds a strong case for why a woman should want to hire a doula to support her in labor and delivery, and also talks about postnatal doulas and antenatal doulas. Generally does a good job of citing scientific studies to support its points. The writing isn’t always strong, and the book gets rather repetitive, but overall, it’s a solid book in favor of doulas. I like how it does not portray doulas as a mere fixture of the NCB/homebirth movement, but makes it clear that they can be ...more
Ann
Jun 07, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
My husband will not be able to be at baby #3 and the birth center has found me a doula- after having read this book I couldn't be more grateful for the support and I feel like I have a much better idea of what to expect and I feel like I'm going into this much better prepared than I've been the first two times!
Rachel
Apr 07, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
This was a book with solid information about doulas (antepartum, birth and postpartum) and the benefits they offer to their clients. If you've never heard of doulas before but are interested in learning more or if you'd like some tips on interviewing and hiring doulas this is a great book to start. For anyone who already has an understanding of what doulas do and how they can support you, there isn't much new here.
Erika
Apr 26, 2014 Erika rated it really liked it
Really helpful and informative. I especially appreciated the chapter of stats on how a doula helps moms and the lists of interview questions. The author certainly has a bias toward hiring a doula, but she's also not trying to hide that or apologize for it.
Kris
May 01, 2015 Kris rated it liked it
A pretty good basic overview of reasons to have a doula at your birth. But I found it to be a little dry and simplistic in style.
Awallens
Jun 23, 2009 Awallens rated it really liked it
if you're interested in having a baby, this should be a must-read for you. Not many of us know what Doulas are, but I think we all should. Give this book a read if you want help making sense of your pregnancy before, during and after labor. A doula is there to support you and your family through the miracle of birth, with education and practical support. this book will help you know if a doula is right for you, how to hire one, how to submit their claims to insurance companies that may be reluct ...more
Lauren
Mar 29, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
I read this as a precursor to begin pursuing my doula certification. I thought it was very readable & informative. It gave me a lot of things to think about in terms of what services I would like to offer & how I should approach relationships with clients.
Lauren
Jul 26, 2007 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a good overview of the purpose and advantages of having a doula. she talks about prenatal, labor, and postpardom doulas. it was great for an overview and answered many of my questions.
Liz
Apr 24, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
A good read for any couple (woman or partner) that is pregnant or planning on being pregnant. Also great for women interested in learning more about becoming doulas.
Aybike
Dec 07, 2012 Aybike rated it really liked it
It's a great book over doulas and why we need them. I wish I had it before I had the appointments with doulas.
Kelly
Mar 27, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to any soon to be parents or anyone studying to be a Doula.
Rebekah
Jun 02, 2009 Rebekah rated it it was ok
good for parents considering hiring a doula
Юлія Бать
Юлія Бать marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Sascha
Sascha marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sandy Reeve
Sandy Reeve rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Raasheda
Raasheda marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Becca
Becca marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Karen wako
Karen wako rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Ginger Sumatra
Ginger Sumatra marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Alicia White
Alicia White marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Brittany Michelle
Brittany Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Megan Palasik
Megan Palasik marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
My passion is helping women make informed and empowered decisions regarding fertility, pregnancy, birth, and beyond. I’m the author of three books: Birth Plans for Dummies (with coauthor Sharon Perkins), The Doula Advantage, and the FabJob Guide to Become a Doula. I also write about fertility for About.com.

Besides the womb-warrior mission, I’m the mother of four children, a voracious reader, a po
More about Rachel Gurevich...

“High anxiety may slow down labor, which may lead to medical interventions such as the use of oxytocin or other drugs, epidural block, or cesarean section. (L.” 0 likes