Start by marking “A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mystery, #6)

A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mystery #6)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,124 ratings  ·  54 reviews
The Midwestern Funeral Directors Association's regional convention was supposed to be a chance for Abby Knight and her flower shop, Bloomers, to flourish. To her surprise, the morticians are a lively bunch, organizing soap-box derbies and a vampire VIP party complete with Midnight Bloody Marys. But when the association's intensely disliked chairperson is found dead in a lo...more
Published December 4th 2007 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about A Rose from the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rose from the Dead

Hannah
May 07, 2011 Hannah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My worst enemy
A waste of time; there are far better amateur detective novels out there. As a fan of this genre, all I was looking for in this book is a bit of light fun, an interesting case, and engaging characters. This book failed to deliver on all points.

Abby Knight is the typical stubborn heroine with a supposed knack for solving mysteries. She's also very pretty, and has a tall, dark, hunky boyfriend (we're told this repeatedly). The above is probably standard for these amateur detective/light romance no...more
Heidi (the original)
I was warned about this book and have to concur with the warning. Everyone in this book just seemed so out of character - especially Marco. I have heard the series gets back on track after this one so I will definitely continue with it since I have grown to really like the series as a whole.
Drebbles
Florist Abby Knight agrees to attend a convention of funeral directors hoping it will drum up business for her. She thought the convention would be rather boring and is surprised that it has events like casket racing. There are even more surprises in store for Abby when organizer Sybil Blount is murdered. The police suspect Abby's friend Delilah Dove committed the murder but Abby doesn't believe it and thinks she knows who the real murderer is. The convention will soon be over and Abby and her b...more
bella
Feisty redhead and flower shop owner Abby Knight is back for another adventure. This time she is at a Funeral Directors Association convention hoping to make a few sales of her funeral arrangements and wreaths. However she gets more than she bargains for when the President of the Association is found dead - in a casket! It's up to Abby and sexy boyfriend, Marcus, to prove that their friend, Deliah, didn't kill Sybil and solve the murder case.

I've loved this series since the first book, Mum's the...more
Michelle
A Rose From The Dead
Kate Collins
Mystery
283 pages
copyright: 2007
isbn: 978-0-451-22241-1

Who knew death could be so much fun?

Abby is amused by the black humor of the usually somber "death professionals" who are attending the Midwestern Funeral Directors Association's regional convention. Even organizer Sybil Blount--known for her cutthroat business practices and the signature rose she wears in her wig--isn't what Abby expects...especially when her corpse is found in a casket. When Abby's friend Del...more
Shonda
3.5 Stars

Abby finds herself investigating the murder of Sybil, the event planner, during a funeral director's convention. The book opens with Abby trapped inside a casket in the shape of a phone booth. There are twins, also in attendance, who enjoy getting on everyone's nerves by playing practical jokes. Unfortunately they picked the wrong person to lock inside the casket. After Abby realizes they were the culprits, she immediately places them on her suspect list. The only problem is, this preve...more
Fmorlan
Abby Knight owns Bllomers flower shop. But is attending a funeral directors conference. This is to help expand her business. This episode is filled with jokesters, strange harpists, tv personalities, secrets and a dead body. Unfortunately, Abby's friend is a suspect so she takes it upon herself to investigate. It is a good plot but i was able to figure the killer early but not the other secrets that were being kept. i like this series.
Nikki
Almost was going to stop reading this series after certain things happened, but am glad to say turned out for the best and will still happily truck on through the rest of this series :) Love Abby and her lovely Bloomers Staff :D
Lizz
Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of Kate Collins. However, this installment in the Flower Shop Mystery series left me a bit flat. Although I love the primary characters (Abby, Marco, Nikki, etc.), I was not intrigued by any of the secondary characters that were introduced. I had little empathy for their situations, and did not really like their personalities at all. I also did not enjoy the venue of a convention instead of the normal town square. I was also disappointed that I had figu...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This is the 6th in a series about Abbey Knight, a florist in New Chapel IN. She solves murders on the side, mostly by stumbling upon the killer and getting herself into hot water as well.

I don't remember the time frame of the previous 5 books, but this one took place over 48 hours at a convention for morticians. Abbey is there to drum up business for her florist shop. The person in charge is found dead in a casket (appropriate considering the convention) but under very mysterious conditions. Abb...more
Kay
I would rate this book 3.5; it was quite an enjoyable flower shop mystery that takes place at a mortician convention. Fun to read.
Chi Dubinski
Abby Knight, owner of Bloomers Flower Shop, has taken space at a funeral directors conference, to drum up business. When a couple of young funeral directors lock her in a casket, she is not amused. And when the irritating woman who organized the conference is found dead in a casket, Abby suspects the jokers who trapped her may have engaged in another prank—one with deadly consequences. Abby teams up with Marco, drop dead good looking ex-cop and private investigator, to solve the murder. For fans...more
Luffy Monkey D.
I didn't have the will to write another tedious review, but then I thought that if Kate Collins can have the bravado to churn out such a soulless book and charge people for it, then I can write a review that tries to deter people from reading her book. Okay so it wasn't a total wreck, but everything that made this series worthwhile was missing from this story. Abby Knight's reaction to bullying, her happy-go-lucky streak, her open-mindedness, her relationship with Nikki, her response to boredom...more
Sassychassy
Another fun read. This time I was able to pick out who the killer was.... I'm shocked it took me this long to figure out the patterns :0) Hopefully the next book in the series will throw a twist in there.Still loving Abby! And Marco just keeps getting more and more delicious! I liked that Grace got to get in on the action in this one. And I hope they go back to Walker in the next book bc I would like to see the confrontation between him and Marco. Will continue as soon as I finish my March chall...more
Kimberly
Book 6 in the flower shop mysteries. In this book, Abby and her friends get out of the shop to attend and promote their business at the annual Funeral Director convention. Little did they know that they would be solving a murder when the head organizer is found dead. When Abby's friend becomes the main suspect, she dives into her own investigation to prove her innocence and meets some odd characters along the way. Another great addition to this series. Kept me guessing til the end and truly made...more
Allison
Honestly, I can't say much about this book because it's been a long time since I read it, but, I always love her books, and although there was a little bit of unneeded content in the book, it was pretty good. I love all of the different murders that Kate Collins manages to think of for each book, they're always different, beginning and end are always very well thought-out. And... yeah... that's all I have to say about this book...:)
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
First of all, I love the main character, Abby and like the fact that she is a regular person in the book. She has an amazing boyfriend who does add a sizzle to the book.

The mystery was interesting and set in a imaginative and creative place. You knew that it was going to be a creative mystery and it was!

I was happy with the ending and can't wait to read the next one in line.

Heather L
Jan 11, 2012 Heather L rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of cozy mysteries
I was a bit worried whether I would like this one, as several people in the Cozy Mysteries group cited it as their least favorite. A pretty good mystery, lots of laugh-out-loud moments in this one (IMO), and I did enjoy it despite a) figuring out the murderer very early on and b) the fact the last 1/4 or so seemed to drag.
Carey
If you think you might want to read this book, open to the last page, and read the last page. Don't worry it won't ruin the plot. If you think this is funny you will probably love this book. Also, I didn't like Abby, but I realize I am coming in on book #6 and missed a lot of set up. I skipped from chapter 9 to chapter 20.
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
This was by far the worst one in the series so far. The characters all seemed to be acting contrary to their characters as established by the author in previous books; as if someone else wrote the story for her. Just awful. But I'm told that the books that follow are back on track.
Phoebebb
Even though I didn't finish the book, I gave it three stars like I have with the previous books.

There is nothing wrong with the book, but I think I'm just not into the series anymore. I've been finding that with a lot of the series I used to like, so I think my genre is just changing.
Jenn
Not my favourite book by Kate Collins, but I think it's because it takes place at a convention instead of in the little town. Even though all the main players are still featured, I felt it was missing pieces (probably the bar and flower shop atmosphere.)
Babs
Jan 28, 2010 Babs rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries
Shelves: mysteries, favorites
Another great book in the series a bit rushed at times in a few places, but understandable when you realize what is going on. We get to see a lot more of Abby and Marco together which is really quite funny. I am looking forward to book 7.
Barb
A Rose from the Dead grabs your interest in the first pages, as you learn more about the funeral industry than you thought you may ever want to know! But in the context of a murder, it all comes together for a great mystery.
Ali
I liked this book, because I didn't have the killer until a revelation at the end, at which point it was obvious, but I don't tend to like cozies that take place outside of the normal setting for the entire book.
Cyndee
This is about the fourth book in the Angie Amalfi series, and each book has been better than the last. This one had more humor than the others, which makes for a good cozy mystery.
The 6th installment of this series and I am still enjoying the books very much. I like the main character and her budding romance has been fun to watch.
Mary Newcomb
Who knew a funeral convention could turm so deadly? Abby Knight and her intrepid band get it all solved before the weekend ends.
Alyssa White
This book is one of my all time favorites in the Flower Shop Mysteries series. Very creative characters and a great story line.
Lori Mason
The next in a series of flower shop mysteries. A light read, humorous. Not as engaging to me as the previous ones.
  • The Diva Cooks a Goose (A Domestic Diva Mystery,  #4)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery #5)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery, #8)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Glossed and Found (A Bath and Body Mystery, #3)
  • Murder by the Slice (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #2)
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery, #2)
  • Tumbling Blocks (Benni Harper, #13)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Begging for Trouble (Dog Walker Mysteries, #4)
  • French Pressed (Coffeehouse Mystery, #6)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
Indiana native and former teacher Kate Collins is the author of the national best-selling Flower Shop Mysteries, featuring feisty florist Abby Knight and the zany crew at Bloomers. Her books have made the New York Times Best-seller's list, Barnes & Noble mass bestsellers lists, the Independent Booksellers lists, and are available in large print editions in the U.S. and the UK.

Kate's historica...more
More about Kate Collins...
Mum's the Word (A Flower Shop Mystery, #1) Slay It with Flowers (A Flower Shop Mystery, #2) Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3) Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4) Acts of Violets (A Flower Shop Mystery, #5)