Start by marking “Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World” as Want to Read:
Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World

Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
This inspirational parenting guide offers proactive and positive steps to raising respectful, engaged, and grateful children.In an effort to raise children with a healthy view of themselves, parents often focus on self-esteem rather than self-respect. And author Jill Rigby says there’s a big difference. It’s the difference between self-centered and others-centered children ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Howard Books (first published 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World

Jac (For Love and Books)
Aug 03, 2013 Jac (For Love and Books) rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
A few months back I was approached by Howard Books to review Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World by Jill Rigby . I had just finished a bible study on parenting, so I was intrigued and wanted to continue this subject!

Jill Rigby has some wonderful points. For example, her comparison between Parent-Centered, Child-Centered and Character-Centered parenting. This is something that I find difficult to keep seperate, and find myself jumping into many different facets of each style. In
Michelle
Mar 28, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
I think every person should read this not just if you have children. It really explains why society and kids are the way they are. I took away a lot of info for my own parenting. It's also awesome because the author was a single mom who did all this great parenting!
Dallas
Aug 24, 2007 Dallas rated it did not like it
This book was barely ok-could possibly be a primer for someone with absolutley no idea how to teach children respect-like, maybe people who do not have, or have spent no time with, or have never been, children. The author's advice was condescending much of the time, and did not enhance my parenting skills. My children were (are) already fairly respectful, compared to some children we have encountered. I was looking for a book to help me "take it to the next level" as a parent, and this book did ...more
LaGina
Mar 05, 2014 LaGina rated it it was amazing
I am so glad I found this book. I have 3 older children in their 20's and teens and needed some advice on how to teach my 7yo and how to reinforce to him th be polite. this book should be given to all new parents.
Jan 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
definitely recommend reading this book. Makes you see things that you may be doing that are NOT helping your kids and realizing what truly matters. Highly recommend for anyone raising kids. It's an ugly world out there and they need our guidance from the start.
Emma
Aug 02, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never been a parent before so all I know about parenting I know thanks to the examples that surround me, some of which are really more examples of what not to do. As I embark on my own parenthood journey I can't help but want to prepare as much as I possibly can. For me preparation equals obtaining lots of knowledge and figuring out what kind of people I want to raise.

I agree with so much the author writes in this book. I too have seen that many people and children today are complete and
Jul 30, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
ISBN: 978-14767-1878-1
Genre: Parenting

K4tie
Aug 13, 2013 K4tie rated it it was amazing
DISCLAIMER: I do not have children.

I chose to read this book because I have a deep seated fear that I will completely mess up being a parent.

I have babysat and my parents are still together, but my "parenting" knowledge is next to nothing. It is important to know how to hold, bathe, feed, burp, change diapers (very important), and how to tell the difference between a cry that says "I'm hungry" versus "I'm sick." I have all of that knowledge but still felt severely lacking in the knowledge of h
Skylar Burris
Aug 24, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who were raised by wolves and are therefore unfamiliar with basic human parenting principles
Shelves: parenting
This book is fairly basic: teach your kids please and thank you, don't give them everything they want whenever they want it, let them play, spend time with them, and don't lace their competitor's water with tranquilizers just so they can win the tennis match.

In other words--stuff your average parent should probably already know. The gray shaded pull boxes are a special condescension: they feature lists such as "classic toys"--you know, in case you weren't aware of the existence of blocks, jump
Bill Tillman
I am a 70 year old grandparent, who was stunned by the practical everyday advice which Jill Rigby lays out in this wonderful book. Jill writes from the perspective of first a single parent. Jill continues on after her marriage to: Nick Garner, but this is not a book about the parent/parents it is about parenting. This is the second edition of this book, the first being published in 2005.

The updated version is full of practical advise, this is not a research book to back up the author's point of
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Aug 16, 2013 Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
We’ve come to expect candor in a caring manner from Jill Rigby and she doesn’t disappoint in her latest release Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World. She addresses the three parenting types, parent-centered, child-centered and character-centered.

It’s easy to look around and see examples of parent-centered and child-centered parenting styles. Both types make me cringe for different reasons. What is not seen as often is character-centered parenting. Jill provides example after exa
Barb Klein
Aug 05, 2013 Barb Klein rated it really liked it
I received a copy of the newly released book Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World by family advocate, Jill Rigby, in return for my honest review of the book.

I wanted to review this book because I felt that it would give me some good insight into raising children today and what is wrong with our kids. I just retired from a position as Administrative Assistant to the Principal of a parochial high school. I worked there for ten years and saw a side of parenthood that I was not pleas
Lindsey Silvestrini
Aug 02, 2013 Lindsey Silvestrini rated it it was amazing
If this isn't a title that grabs you, I don't know what is! Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World was a book I knew I had to read immediately! In a world full of entitled children who have forgotten the difference between child and adult, I know I need to do everything I can to help my children become successful, respectful people.

This is one of those parenting books that as I'm reading I keep thinking "uh-oh, guilty as charged!" I know that like everyone, my parenting could use w
Renee
Jul 22, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching, study
Thanks to Howard Books, I was privileged to receive a copy of Jill Rigby’s Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World to review. My take on the book? What a gem! I plan to re-read this book before school begins & then share it with everyone I can.

How can you tell if this book will benefit you?

Are you helping your children find their purpose & teaching them to persevere in fulfilling that purpose?
Can you set boundaries without building walls between you and your children?
A
Bethany Park
Feb 08, 2015 Bethany Park rated it it was amazing
Absolutely golden information! So well written with stories that are easy to relate to, by a woman who knows what she's talking about. I highly recommend for all parents, those who wish to be a parent, teachers, and child-rearers of all kinds. If more parents would read this and put it's principles to practice, I believe we would soon have a generation to be proud of.
Kelly
May 28, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok
Torn on if I should give this three stars. I liked the topic and her approach. I am sticking with two stars because I thought most of the foundational content was obvious. I think more specific examples on how to teach the basics she outlines would have been helpful.
Laurie Tate
Jan 10, 2016 Laurie Tate rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book and recommend it to others to enjoy parenting books. Author describes different types of parenting styles and how they most likely will influence your child.
Debbie Smith
Jan 25, 2016 Debbie Smith rated it really liked it
Excellent! It's not "all about me". Reminds us we need to teach our children self-respect and service to others not self esteem.
Cafelilybookreviews
Jul 31, 2013 Cafelilybookreviews rated it it was amazing
Every parent should read this book! It is full of practical advice and wisdom, and is very well written.

Never heard of the term "aristobrat"? Read this book to make sure you aren't raising one!

Want to know the differences between parent-centered, child-centered, and character-centered parenting styles? This book defines all of those and more.

The author offers 36 ways on how to cultivate a house of respect, how to stress purpose and not performance with your children, how to raise grateful chil
Tom
Good book with practical ideas and suggestions on how to raise kids in our troubled world. Sometimes I don't know what i am looking for in a parenting book.....the "perfect" parenting book doesn't exist (just like the parents who read them). It is a lot of hit and miss, try and try again, see what works approach to raising kids. Like i said above, though, this book does give good ideas and discusses some "current" issues and shows parents that it is possible to raise respectful, grateful, loving ...more
Dec 03, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Lots of good, practical advice in this book, but I don't agree with everything she says. Her conclusions about the Harry Potter series were based on reading one book and based on what she said, I am not even sure she read it. She seems to think that Harry's decisions are based on subjective morality. I totally disagree. The message of the books, in my opinion, is that love is more powerful than hate and doing the right thing often requires self sacrifice and great courage.
She also uses her books
Lenore Webb
Aug 06, 2013 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing
Well being a parent does not come with a handbook. It should! I see so many children that do not understand manners and common courtesy anymore. This is not only something that we should be addressing but it helps make life easier for the child too. In raising my own daughter I always remembered that I was forming a future adult. Thus I knew I needed to give her the tools to be successful on her own one day. The biggest tool I know of is common respect. Giving it and accepting it too. I know tha ...more
Tammy Ward
Feb 06, 2011 Tammy Ward rated it really liked it
I wouldn't say there were any earth shattering revelations, but there were good reminders for parenting. Probably what I like most about this book is that the Christian author devoted each chapter to talking about the three stages of development (tykes/toddlers, tween, & teens), what they should learn/expectations, along with ideas of discipline for each age group. She supports love and logic discipline strategies. Beware, she take a very hard stance on young-adult children's literature, tel ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 21, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Although there are some interesting statements scattered through this book, it reads more like a series of articles - not that each chapter is contained within itself, but that each chapter doesn't have much connection to the one preceding or following it.
The author certainly has experience raising children, but her advice consists mostly of tired and stereotyped ideas which are barely relevant today, and so lack appeal even to this relatively conservative and definitely Christian parent.
Christine
Feb 14, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
I thought this book was wonderful, so many good reminders about the practical application of living moral principles in the home and establishing an environment of honor and respect. I especially recommend the chapters on "Shielding your treasures from the Trash." It is a good wake up call for parents to be aware of all the media and other influence on children today and to hold fast to high standards. She emphasises the importance of establishing limits to generate love.
Sophie
Oct 16, 2008 Sophie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Any parent having trouble with teen children
This was a good book that I think could be helpful to alot of parents I have seen, however it didn't address the problems I had hoped it would. As far as being helpful to me in a weird sort of way it was because it showed me I was doing alot of things right so I guess I'm not so worried anymore. lol The idea is basically to push for their best and not perfection and to coach instead of cheerlead, all good points just not issues I'm having.
Joan
Aug 02, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing
I think Jill has correctly identified a problem with today's parenting in the emphasis on self-esteem in children. She presents a very good argument for the character damage that has been done. The book provides great suggestions for intentional parenting and character development. It is written from a Christian viewpoint, which I think is essential. You can see my complete review at http://bit.ly/13AX1gR.
Kelly Decoteau
Feb 04, 2016 Kelly Decoteau rated it liked it
Shelves: mommy-lit, own
It's not about self-esteem, it's about self-respect. Eye opening!

I've read much of her advice before, one way or another, but it's always nice to have a reminder. I'm halfway done raising my kids ... I've only got a few years left to get it right!

Three stars because I strongly disapprove of the author's anti-gay statements (and then there's her over the top hatred of Harry Potter!)
Dana Smith
Jul 25, 2014 Dana Smith rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Our society has deteriorated as we have strayed from the traditional conservative values of our past. Today's society is dysfunctional due to lack of respect, discipline, and Christian morals.
Lisa
Jul 09, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
This was a good book, but parts of it were blah. It did remind me to limit T.V., play with my kids more, and not spoil them. I would recommend this book to any mom or dad. I think it has a lot of good ideas and information about being a better parent.
  • Raising a Daughter: Parents and the Awakening of a Healthy Woman
  • Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • How Much Is Enough?: Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Ch
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Hide or Seek
  • The Self-Esteem Trap: Raising Confident and Compassionate Kids in an Age of Self-Importance
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • Love & Respect in the Family: The Transforming Power of Love and Respect Between Parent and Child
  • Of the Persecuted (Legends of the Woodlands, #1)
  • Honey, I Wrecked the Kids: When Yelling, Screaming, Threats, Bribes, Timeouts, Sticker Charts and Removing Privileges All Don't Work
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • Family Wealth: Keeping It in the Family--How Family Members and Their Advisers Preserve Human, Intellectual, and Financial Assets for Generations
  • The Parable Series: The Parable Of The Lily
  • If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil
  • On Becoming Preschool Wise: Optimizing Educational Outcomes What Preschoolers Need to Learn
  • Daily Dose of Determination