Start by marking “Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker” as Want to Read:
Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker

Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook: Feasting with Your Slow Cooker

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  21,798 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
By Dawn J. Ranck and Phyllis Pellman Good"Slow cookers are having a comeback. With good reason. They are friends on a day of running errands. They allow easy entertaining with no last-minute preparation. They are miracles for potluck meals, whether in
Plastic Comb, 284 pages
Published November 25th 2001 by Good Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook

Elissa
Mar 03, 2008 Elissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2008
There are many things that annoy me about this cookbook. The most annoying thing is that the author/editor includes several recipes for the same thing but with (sometime very) slight alterations. I mean honestly, do you really want to figure out which of 5 beef stew recipes is the one for you when the ingredient lists look fairly similar? I found maybe 3 or 4 recipe that look useful to me. I hate that there are no pictures- I like to see if what I'm cooking is looking at all like it should. Also ...more
Ali
Jul 21, 2016 Ali rated it did not like it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
I love recipes for my slow cooker, but this cookbook is quite frustrating. It is set up by readers submitting their recipes. There are multiple recipes of the same kind, but different ways and ingredients. There are no pictures to show what your food is going to look like after cooking....and with a slow cooker I think that is important because people don't really want to eat something that looks like the dogs dinner. This book seemed like a precursor to the website Allrecipes, but without the p ...more
Christy Sibila
Some of the recipes call for an awful lot of Velveeta, but if you snoop around enough, you will find a handful of yummy and healthy recipes that are easy to make.
Leigh
Oct 29, 2009 Leigh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
An absolutely terrific cookbook offering plenty of easy, yummy recipes specific to slow cookers. The ingredients are not esoteric and the recipes are easy to follow. The recipes were created by real cooks in real kitchens, as opposed to chefs in test kitchens who never seem to know or care what real people eat and that real people have lives outside the kitchen. Finally, the index is plenty comprehensive, so if you feel like making something that involves mostly potatoes, or steak or beans, no p ...more
Lisa A. Carlson
May 10, 2011 Lisa A. Carlson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those beginning to use a crockpot
Recommended to Lisa A. by: found it in the cooking section of my local bookstore
Shelves: food
This is a perfect cookbook for those wanting to begin doing slow cooker cooking. The beef stew recipe on page 71 is a favorite especially during the winter months here in Minnesota. I've got two teens who have different tastes, the tater tot casserole on 116 is easy and agreeable for everyone. Having used my first slow cooker for 20 years it finally wore out and the purchase of the Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker makes this type of cooking a breeze.
Jen
Oct 09, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-drinks
I wish "can of cream of mushroom soup" wasn't the key ingredient in almost every recipe. Adding MSG to my food isn't something that interests me.
Steven Peterson
Feb 03, 2010 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it
The Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook is a great resource for those of us who can't always fix meals in the afternoon. Many people are busy at work and have little time, once they get home at the end of the day, to fix a proper meal.

This cookbook is one option for such people. I don't use the crockpot more than once a week or so, but for those days when a slow-cooked meal is called for, this is a very helpful cookbook.

One of the nice aspects of this volume is that it is, in a sense, a "populist co
Nancy
Jan 06, 2009 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is presently my favorite cookbook. Winter time is a great time to use the crock pot to prepare wonderful stews, try yummy new spaghetti sauce recipes, even do a fragrant chicken without turning on the oven. I don't think I would eat properly without my helper book. I am usually able to feed myself for a whole week, or freeze part of a dish for another time. As an exceptionally busy person, constantly on the go, this savory cookbook is a godsend.
Deb Spaulding
Aug 19, 2015 Deb Spaulding rated it it was amazing
I use this cookbook at home. It is my go-to for quick, easy, delicious meals.
Betty
Dec 22, 2016 Betty rated it it was amazing
Lots of great recipes for my slow cooker. Bought this several years ago, one of my favorites. Broken up into appetizer, breakfast, soups and stews, main dishes, bean main dishes, veggies, desserts, beverages. No pics
Fishface
Feb 06, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I use this one constantly. Even though some of the recipes are inedible for me as they are, because of all the dairy products, reading them helps me understand what proportions of ingredients to use when I'm making up my own slow-cooker creations, usually with excellent results. I like this one, but in a lot of cases I'm looking mostly at entertainment value here, not edibility. When a recipe tells me to blend ketchup, grape jelly, and Vienna sausages and simmer for 4 hours, I'm not exactly temp ...more
Meghan
Jul 21, 2013 Meghan rated it it was amazing
My only complaint about this book is the lack of pictures, so if you are someone who needs the pictures this cookbook isn't for you. This cookbook is full of tried and true recipes that readers have submitted to be complied into this cookbook. Now this cookbook may have 3 different receipts for the same recipe, for instance chicken cacciatore, however that is nice because it allows you to look at what you have on hand and work with that so it is a nice perk to this cookbook. I also like the simp ...more
Jennifer Fluegge
Apr 08, 2009 Jennifer Fluegge rated it really liked it
YEAH, they have cookbooks on here, too! This book is a great collection of recipes for the crock-pot--I made one from here just the other day, actually! The problem for me is doing the planning so that I get the stuff in the crockpot in the morning before I leave for work..I am always glad when I do, though! Another issue is that oftentimes, the crockpots cook alot faster and hotter these days so if I put it in before I leave for work,by the time I get home, the stuff is overdone bigtime! Howeve ...more
Cheree
Mar 23, 2016 Cheree rated it it was ok
With so many recipes containing canned food, I almost regret ever buying this book. That being said, the ONLY recipe I ever make with canned food in it came from this book: Chicken Delicious (p. 170) is perfect that wintry, cold day when you or family members are feeling under the weather and just don't feel up to cooking (which is a rare day for me). It's the only reason I keep a single can each of cream of mushroom soup and cream of celery soup in our pantry at all times. I have noticed others ...more
Greta
Nov 21, 2011 Greta rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
I got this book out of the library after seeing the sheer volume of recipes it contained. But whn I got home and started perusing the recipes, I realized that the bulk of them were based on canned ingredients - and that the sodium levels were astronomical as a result. There were a few hidden gems, but it took a lot of searching to find them. If I'm going to buy a cookbook, I want to know that it's something I'll turn to time and again for healthy, simple recipes. If I want a lot of salt and othe ...more
Ebookwormy
This is an excellent resource for crock pot cooking. Being able to assemble dinner in the morning and know it is cooking away and you don't have to worry about it for the day is a WONDERFUL feeling. It is also a nice way to cook in the summer as the crock pot throws off less heat than my oven.

I have been very happy with the recipes I've made, as well as the breadth of this book (soups, main meals, meat, ect.).

My one critique is that many of the recipes, while convenient and possibly tasty, lack
Christopher
Oct 27, 2008 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is easily our favorite crock pot cook book at my house. Many of the recipes have very simple preparation which can be performed in a modicum of time even by the most unskilled kitchen dullards like myself :)

Unlike many crock pot cookbooks we've seen where bland food seems to be the norm, a number of recipes from this one are in fact quite flavorful and tasty. We just made the 'Irish Beef Stew' (Not sure REALLY how Irish it is, but it's yummy :).

Can't recommend this book highly enough for pe
Diana Thomsen
Nov 19, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this cookbook to be a bit of a disappointment. Too many (nearly) identical recipes, no pictures, and far too much reliance on canned condensed soup. Which I refuse to buy or use. Also, the index does not include all recipes that use a specific ingredient (i.e. zucchini), making it less than useful when trying to decide what to cook with what you have. Also, the recipes don't specify what size slow cooker to use, and this really does matter. I did manage to get a few recipes that did what ...more
Jerry
Nov 20, 2015 Jerry rated it liked it
This book has a lot of recipes, many of them very similar. There is practically no editorializing here, just ingredient lists and instructions. There are usually three or four recipes per page, and 258 pages. You can do the math. With that many recipes, there are going to be a lot of good and a lot of “bad” recipes. The first couple I tried were okay, but nothing special. But most recently I found the Caribbean Black Bean stew, and the Greek chicken, very good, and of course both are very simple ...more
Kathy
Jan 01, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I use this cookbook all the time! One of the best things I love about it is that there are often several recipes for the same meal. If I don't have all the ingredients for a specific version, I can take different parts from similar recipes. An example would be sloppy joes. There are a few different versions and I can mix and match ingredients. I am not the most creative or ambitious cook, so this cookbook has been fantastic!
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Jan 14, 2012 ♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡ rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
You do have to becareful, because some of this will burn if you fix it and leave for work all day. If you come home at lunch & turn it on, you are good to go. OR if you have great kids who come home from school that can get your already prepped pot out of the frig & tun it on...

A few of the recipes, like the stews with more sause/gravy/soup are easy fixes... Just not the pasta dishes or the ones that actually bake something.
Me
Sep 10, 2015 Me rated it it was amazing
I just got this book a few weeks ago and have already tried a few recipes and marked them as favorites. The recipes are presented in the simplest terms and offer cooking times for both high and low settings. Well organized and there is literally a multitude of recipes and ones that you typically don't see in Slow Cooker cookbooks such as apple butter.
Missy
Jan 06, 2008 Missy rated it liked it
This is an ok cookbook. Points docked for recipes containing chicken broth yet labeled as "vegetarian". i thought many recipes overlapped so that was disappointing too. I suppose the later could be good to help one create their own recipe based on the tweaked elements, but more unique recipes would be good.
Angie
Mar 26, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves to cook or try new recipes
A friend of mine shared some recipes out of this book with me over the week-end . I HAD to buy myself a copy of this cookbook today ! I read the backs of the cereal box , so why not read a cook book ?
Seriously it is a great book with wonderful recipes in it . I plan to add a few of the other Fix It and Forget It books to my cookbook collection ;-)
Kathy Kennedy
Aug 26, 2009 Kathy Kennedy rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I have had a slow cooker for for a couple of years and only used it here and there. I found this book in the library and thought what the heck I'll give it a try. OMgoodness. I have made everything from apple butter and whole wheat bread to omelets and stews in my slow cooker and the its so easy! I am getting this book for myself!
Daphne
Aug 11, 2009 Daphne rated it it was ok
This book has a ton of recipes. The reason I gave it 2 stars is because there seem to be many repeated recipes. I think there were more than 10 chili recipes. It also didn't seem to have anything in there I didn't already know about slow cooking, so maybe it is more for someone first using a slow cooker.
Bernie
Feb 15, 2013 Bernie rated it it was amazing
This is the best slow cooker cookbook. I'm always trying different recipes from this cookbook and they turn out good. What makes this book better than other slow cooker cookbooks is that the recipes are submitted by the average person. They have perfected the recipes to satisfy their families and the passed them on to us.
Carrie
Feb 25, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Great variety of recipes, my copy has at least a dozen post-it flags sticking out so I can find what I am looking for. It requires patience to wade through because there is not an easy index or divided sections.
Lisa
Jan 28, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love tater tot casserole
I'm always looking for good food to make in my crockpot. Sadly, in the hundreds of recipes in this book, very few of them could be called good food. Too many cans of cream-of-something soup, and too few plain ol' fresh ingredients.
Rachele
Oct 30, 2015 Rachele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
slow cooker meals that I actually like. Of course with so many recipes in the book (3-4 per page) it's not too hard to find some good ones. Just look for ingredients that you like and skip all the rest.
  • Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining: Slow Cooker Favorites for All the Year Round
  • Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • The Cake Mix Doctor
  • Betty Crocker's Cooky Book
  • Hungry Girl: 200 Under 200: 200 Recipes Under 200 Calories
  • The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook
  • Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans, and Jars
  • Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook (NYM Series)
  • Make It Fast, Cook It Slow: The Big Book of Everyday Slow Cooking
  • Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: An All-American Road Trip . . . with Recipes!