Start by marking “Tempt Me with Darkness (Doomsday Brethren, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tempt Me with Darkness (Doomsday Brethren, #1)

Tempt Me with Darkness (Doomsday Brethren #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  3,676 ratings  ·  203 reviews
He's an immortal knight hungering for satisfaction....

As soon as Marrok sees Olivia Gray's dark windswept hair and burning violet eyes, he's sure they've met in eons past. He's felt her soft gentle curves writhing in pleasure beneath his own hard powerful body...Morganna! For centuries, towering Marrok, once the mightiest of King Arthur's warriors, has endured a terrible
Published August 26th 2008 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Tempt Me with Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempt Me with Darkness

UniquelyMoi ~ The 1-click Diva

0 stars - DNF shelved.

I’m not going to rate this book because I simply couldn’t bring myself to finish it and maybe it would have gotten better, but by about 1/3-1/2 of the way through, I couldn’t take anymore.

What was it that didn’t work, you ask? Well, I love tormented heroes. Cursed, scarred, broken hearted, so defeated, they’ve given up… I can’t get enough of them! And Marrok was definitely all those things, so this story should have been right up my alley. The problem for me was in the sto
Julie (jjmachshev)
A dark and sexy immortal knight from the time of King Arthur!! "Tempt Me with Darkness" is the first novel in Shayla Black's new 'Doomsday Brethren' series and if her next one is as good as this one, I can't wait!

Cursed by Morganna le Fay for spurning her, Marrok has been unable to achieve orgasm for over a thousand years. He can tup all night long, but never quite 'get there'. After 1500 years, he thought all anger, grief and emotion were burned out of him until he meets Morganna's only survivi
Heather
Sep 13, 2008 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Angela Knight, Witch Fire by Anya Bast and Lynsay Sands
This is the first "paranormal romance" from Shayla Black/ Shelley Bradley... who writes notoriously HOT erotica books! This book was really sweet and sexy, and its definitely a romance, not an erotica. Plus it sets us up for LOTS more characters...

Marrok is a warrior. One who was cursed 15 centuries ago by Morgana le Fay... she curses him to an eternity of want and lust, without ever being able to...umm... complete...

Olivia is an American girl living in London. She opened her own art shop tryi
Zeek
Marrok just wants to die already. Cursed by the evil Morganna Le Fey to live an eternity without companionship and sexual satisfaction, he's lived a long lonely fifteen centuries. When he stumbles across Olivia Gray at her art gallery in London, he's sure it's the witch Morganna in another form come to torment him further.

He isn't far off. Though not Morganna, she has in fact descended from the line of Le Fey but Olivia, in England to find the father who abandoned her years ago, has no clue abou
Aly is so frigging bored
1.5*
I had hopes for this... It wasn't meant to be...

Random.rg, why did you do this to meeeee??

This sums up all the characters in this book.

I made notes on it and I am too lazy to write a proper review so I'll paste everything here :))
-The start would make Anzu burn this :))
-"prime male" what 21st Century woman says that?
-"He had answered her Mating Call." cringing
-I like this world, curing fever with sex. How cool is that?
NOTE TO SELF: Find out if it works with headaches
-"zounds"?! Are we in Sc
♡Karlyn P♡
Great world building and characters. Think Harry Potter's magical world mixed with the dark mind of Clive Barker. The Brethen is a crazy mix of interesting characters fighting a pure evil warlock. The romance part of this book was only OK, but I'd read more in this series without a doubt. There is a plot device that requires sex to energize ones powers which was about the only thing in the world building that I thought was over the top silly, but this is not an erotic book. I'd rate the sensuali ...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
"Tempt Me With Darkness" is the first book in Shayla Black's Doomsday Brethren story. It features Marrok, who was a knight for King Arthur, when he slept with the witch Morganna. After he loved her, he left her. And in her rage, she cursed him to an immortality without the ability to ever find satisfaction.

15 centuries later, he sees a woman in a dream that reminds him of Morganna. The very next day, he meets Olivia, the woman from that dream. He thinks she is Morganna in disguise, but she is a
Rebecca
The premise of the story started out fairly well. The immortal warrior cursed...the relocated American seeking a father she never knew. He hard, crusty, and looking for a way out. She totally unaware of the mess she's about to get tossed in to....really great beginning. Unfortunately, it sort of fizzled out about 1/3 of the way through it. The action was there and all, but the romance between the two of them was ridiculous. I mean, the hero spends an incredible amount of time declaring his love ...more
MK (Food actvist)
I finally finished this after a few months of struggling through it. I am sure I have the review written in a journal somewhere. My problem with this is an overload of characters. Giving bits and pieces of information that the main characters could have handled. I would have been happy if the hero had a flashback for a couple chapters and interacted with his friends. The problem with bringing everyone into the first book is trying to fully flesh them out. It screams, "Oh! Pick me! Pick me! I'm i ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Jul 27, 2011 Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Yz the Whyz
This review was posted at Under The Covers

Marrock. One of King Arthur’s knights. Maybe used to be the “love them and leave them” type. Until the day he slept with, and left, the wrong woman. Or witch, in his case, Morganna. Obviously none to happy about it, Morganna curses him to immortality.

Now fast forward to present day. He has lived in isolation, after having everything taken from him, being kicked out of court, and watching his loved ones die, he lives in solitude, does not form bonds with
Lisa
This book was a huge disappointment! What a hot pile of garbage! Weak characters, weak plot and weak romance. I actually had to skip ahead the last 100 pages because I was so bored with this book.

The heroine was thoroughly annoying as was the hero. She didn't want to fall in love with him because she thought he viewed her as a means to an end. He didn't want to show feelings of love because he didn't know what to do with his feelings. This repetitive theme got old really fast.

Her story I felt
Jan
I really wanted to like this book, but I couldn't. I don't mind sex as a plot element, but this one was a little ridiculous to me. I had to stop when wimpy heroine was dying and a random witch showed up to let the hero now that she was dying because he didn't have an orgasm. I just couldn't make myself continue after that.
Dondominiquo
I can highly recommend this book if you have a case of insomnia. Major yawnage may occur while reading it lol. It took me almost a couple of weeks to finish and on the days that I didn’t get to read, I didn’t miss it or wonder about it. In fact, I had to force myself to just finish it. (I don’t like not finishing a book…well unless it’s really, really bad).

I think the concept is good; I’m just not sold on the execution of it. I didn’t feel any connection to any of the characters and all of them
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Marrok of Cadbury was one of Arthur's most ferocious knights and a hungry but careless lover. After spending a night with Arthur's half-sister, the powerful witch, Morganna, he spurns her and is cursed by her to an immortal life with no satisfaction. The curse she writes in her Doomsday Book, which Marrok manages to steal, but it is locked and he is doomed to an eternity of life with no sexual relief. Now living outside London, he is tormented by dreams of Morganna in a new form, luring him and ...more
Kaleigha
Well, well, well. Shayla Black has cooked herself up quite the little magical world here, and made it into a great story. Marrock is a human warrior from the time of King Arthur, doomed to immortality. Olivia is a sad and lonely woman searching for the father she has never met. What brings these two together is magic...Olivia is a descendant of Morganna Le Fay...the very same witch who cursed Marrock 1500 year ago. When Olivia makes the mating call, and Marrock excepts, neither knows what to exp ...more
Yui
Yes, it bored me to death but I'm giving it 2stars regardless. Not so much for it's redeeming qualities but for myself for having the patience and endurance to finish it.
300+ pages, I finished in less than 5hrs. but it felt longer. My eyes kept straying from the pages and my mind kept thinking of other things I should be doing.

The story itself is not so bad. I've read it a dozen times before but it's bearable. Barely.
A dormant witch and a cursed immortal warrior. Not really original but it has i
Vanessa theJeepDiva
This book was almost a 5 star read. I had some major issues with Olivia. Olivia was raised only by her mother, a woman who never showed her any love or support. At the same time in Olivia's life her father & mate enter. She has complete trust & faith in her father, who has played for the wrong team in the past. Marrock, her mate on the other hand she does not does not have the same blind faith in.
I loved Marrock. He is 1500 years old & stuck in the Dark Ages. He was cursed for doi
♥The Kat's Meow♥
Tempt Me with Darkness (Doomsday Brethren, #1) by Shayla Black Sparks fly when an immortal warrior cursed by Morgan le Fey is paired with the infamous Sorceress' great-granddaughter. So, who in this series are the good guys, and who backs the evil one? While some of the characters are clearly on the side of good, a few are questionable. Clearly I must determine where everyone's loyalty lies... Every excuse to start the next book In the series.

Did I skim? Yes.
Will I re-read? I might skim throughnthe series as other books are added
Were the supporting charac
Sophie
Really enjoyed this book. Looks to be a very entertaining series. Characters are well developed as are the r/ships between them. Enjoyed becoming immersed into a complete magical world that included historical references to Merlin and Morganna.

My one big negative point for this book is that I got a bit fed up of Olivia and her stubborn internal dialogue of how she didnt trust the endearments and affections of Marrok. I find that I don't mind that sort of self dialogue at the start of stories but
Sharon
*REVAMPED MAY 2012* Fantastic~~ sucked in immediately....AGAIN!!

Marrock is 1500 yr. old man cursed with immortality. Olivia is a decendant of the witch that cursed him. When they meet, neither can admit their true feelings to one another because both have trust issues.

Marrock is a dreamy kind of guy....He treats Olivia with such tenderness..*sigh* Olivia has felt unwanted and unloved her entire life, she falls pretty fast for this warrior.

He ends up training a group of wizards to fight against a
Colette
This is one of those books that started off at a really fast pace. I couldn't get enough of it until I hit the middle of the book. It seemed like everything just dragged on and on and on. The end was filled with action, but the middle was so painfully slow that I almost didn't care about the ending. I kept wanting to shake some sense into the heroine. This was an ok read and I liked it enough to want to read the next one in the series, but I'm glad i got this one from the library.
Melanie
I really enjoyed this book... Wasn't sure what to expect, but it was an intriguing plot, and I loved all of the Doomsday Brethren.. Marrock and Olivia make a great couple, even though he doubts her while falling in love with her, and I'm dying to know what happens next (good thing I have the next two books!), especially to Lucan and Anka... Definitely a series you need to read in order though:-) 4.5*
Carolyn F.
Marrock is a cursed knight who has been alive for 1500 years. Olivia is a descendant of of the woman who cursed him. They find out their mated to each other. He's trying not to feel like she could turn on him any moment and she's trying not to get her heart broken. This book took quite a while before the plot became interesting. The ending was much better. I'm planning on reading book #2.
Kathryn
Ok. So I wanted this story to be more than it was, and then it started getting better, then I was disgusted with repeats within the story, and then overjoyed with the romantic relationship between the characters. I cried a bit with a bond breaking and laughed out loud with parts of the story that I could actually see happening. All in all not the best vampire story I've read.
Rosi
Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections
The first half of this book was just okay, IMHO. However, the second half got much better because of the action.

My biggest problem with this book was the angst Olivia kept heaping on herself when it came to whether or not Marrock truly loved her. It got very old and detracted from the plot.
L8blmr
I have tried to write this review twice already, only to have it disapear rather than post! I just can't rewrite it another time, so I'll tell you I'd give it 4.5 and leave it at that! Now you're free to read someone else's fine review!
Renee
This was kind of the same as every other series out there but it somehow lacks the deepth. I'll read the next one just to see if I want to continue.
Lisa
That's just awful. Couldn't even get to 10% on it. Wish I had read a sample before buying because it's bad from the get go.
Spazfungus
truly awful, steamy scenes can't make up for lack of plot and lots of nonsense
Shayla After Dark: Doomsday Brethren revisited 22 14 Oct 02, 2013 12:56AM
  • Bound by Shadow (The Dark Crescent Sisterhood, #1)
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • Assassin's Heart (Order of the Sicari, #2)
  • Masked by Moonlight (Moonlight, #1)
  • Edge Of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)
  • Dark Protector (Paladins of Darkness, #1)
  • Hotter After Midnight (Midnight, #1)
  • When Blood Calls (The Shadow Keepers, #1)
  • Blood Magic (Wing Slayer Hunters, #1)
  • Red Fire (Gods of Midnight, #1)
  • Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1)
  • Nightkeepers (Nightkeepers, #1)
  • Immortal Warrior (Immortal Brotherhood, #1)
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
  • Velvet Haven (Annwyn Chronicles, #1)
  • Desire Untamed (Feral Warriors, #1)
  • Seduced by the Storm (ACRO, #3)
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
20983
Shayla Black (aka Shelley Bradley) is the national bestselling author of 40+ sizzling contemporary, erotic, paranormal, and historical romances for multiple print and electronic publishers. She lives in Texas with her husband, munchkin, and one very spoiled cat. In her “free” time, she enjoys reality TV, reading and listening to an eclectic blend of music.

Shayla has won or placed in over a dozen w
More about Shayla Black...
Wicked Ties (Wicked Lovers, #1) Decadent (Wicked Lovers, #2) Belong to Me (Wicked Lovers, #5) Delicious (Wicked Lovers, #3) Surrender to Me (Wicked Lovers, #4)