Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  31 reviews
IN "PRIDE & PREJUDICE," JANE AUSTEN brought together one of the most beloved literary couples of all time--Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy. Now, "Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride" continues the story of these passion-filled newlyweds as they enter London's glamorous high society.
This page-turning novel finds Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy entangled in the frivolity and fe...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Ulysses Press (first published September 15th 2002)

Wendy Lynn Brion
Barbara
I have lately been reading several Pride and Prejudice alternates/sequels. I have to say this one ranks very high on my list of favorites. 1st - the writing style is reminscent of Austen. The language is very period and the sentence structure is similar. In addition, there is still the sense of taking a microscope to society and finding its humor. Compared to other books in this genre, this one made very striking points that caused me to laugh at loud, similarly to Austen herself in P and P. In...more
Kimberly
Lisa Houlihan
Ah, another unjustifiable foray into Austen excess. At the JASNA meeting on Sunday was the chapter’s own recycling library from which, for a dollar each, I acquired two Austen sequels. I enjoyed a frisson of anticipatory snark, and Juliette Shapiro’s Mr. Darcy’s Decision did not disappoint. I mean, it disappointed faithfulness to canon and quality of prose, but that’s why I hate-read. The novel ignores its source text and overturns canonical personalities. A lot. But I’ll start with language. An...more
Heather
after a few chapters in, I was a bored with the book. I rushed through the rest just to see what the author had planned for Elizabeth and Darcy.
Never understood why Caroline was at Pemberley. To much of the book was about Mrs Bennet for my liking.
Elizabeth
There are much better P&P sequels out there - plus I hated the way she constantly recycled dialogue from the original and failed to include many meaningful scenes with Elizabeth and Darcy interacting. I wouldn't recommend it.
Christina
I was looking forward to this new Shapiro book as I so enjoyed reading Excessively Diverted, so much so, that I just re-read it in anticipation of her Mr Darcy's Decision. Imagine my disappointment, when UPS delivered the same book sans typos and original title-- but with improved cover art.

Still, I will say, since Excessively Diverted, is fresh in my mind, that I did very much enjoy this book. The story-line is compelling, and Shapiro creates believable new characters as well as writing credibl...more
Katherine
Great sequel to the original P&P. If I had to find something negative to say about it or something that I didn't think would be too true of the characters is that Caroline Bingley is allowed to be at Pemberley to accompany Georgiana even though Charles Bingley is not there. I don't believe that would actually happen. Darcy only put up with Caroline because of Charles and Georgiana didn't really care for Caroline so I was surprised that after Darcy and Elizabeth's marriage, Caroline is seem s...more
Shannon
Alexia
Okay, honestly I would give it two and half stars... it was a book that I really liked in some parts, and in other parts I found myself thoroughly bored. I think,of all the sequels and re-do's that have been done of Pride and Prejudice, this one probably kept the characters truest to themselves. I do like how Elizabeth further developed in this version. Even Darcy's development was believable in this. I think the author did a good job in staying true to style.. I think the twist with Lady Cather...more
Rosey
Hannah Kirkhart
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from the beginning. I have read multiple Jane Austen "sequels" but this one had the best tone and story of them all. The narrator was very close to Jane Austen's voice and I enjoyed seeing from the point of view of multiple characters. I like how the author didn't make Darcy into this male model of perfection; he still retains some of his pride and cold manners at times. The characters still felt like the characters Jane Austen created and I appreciated that. Shapi...more
Amber
Spazfungus
So many references to the original pride and prejudice. Instead of writing a sequel, it seems like the author just took the original and added a new sentence between each paragraph then called it a sequel! In order to get her required page count, she copied word for word Darcy's explanation letter! I'm surprised she didn't just increase her font and the size of her margins.
Audrey
This book was orignially published years ago as "Excessively Diverted" though you will not find that in the description. There was nothing wrong with this book, it just wasn't to my liking. I certainly do not apprecaite paying for it twice! Kobo doesn't stand by its books and will not issue a refund even though the description is deceptive. Buyer beware.
Pamela
Austen sequels are entertaining, in general. This take-off has the potential to be intriguing, but events seem stretched/contrived. I also felt let-down by scenarios that never amounted to anything. The dialog between the Darcy's was too "slobbery" for me; there were a number of descriptions and commentaries written with amusing style.
Peachy
Wow, Juliette Shapiro has truly mastered Jane Austen's way of writing..
Though no once can imitate Jane Austen's style totally, I can't imagine anyone
employing words any nearer to Jane Austen's than Juliette Shapiro!
Truly wonderful. Now, I don't doubt that Sanditon will be very good! :)
Shawn
I was SO excited when I spotted this on the bookstore shelf. I am a HUGE fan and this book more than met my expectations. If you are a fan of Pride and Prejudice the book or the BBC version of the movie, you have to read this. I couldn't put it down.
Jen
Really 2.5 stars. I'm always drawn in by these Austen inspired sequels, and always fairly disappointed after reading (notable exception: Death at Pemberley by PD James). This one was bit better than most, but only slightly.
Ashley M.
A good book, the author went as close to Pride and Prejudice as possible. Though I had a hard time believing that Wickham would change his tune as quickly as he did in the book or that Darcy would be as forgiving.
Frances
Another follow up story to "Pride and Prejudice". It tells of the upcoming births of the Darcys and Wickhams babies. I felt it was shallow and not believeable. You can't improve on a classic.
Care
good bk especially if u like the bbc series of pride and prejudice...must say i didn't care for the ramblings on of mrs. bennet and kina skimmed over reading most of the sections about her...
Tamara
With a totally unbelievable, out-of-character redemption of Wickham at the end, and the rest of the characters being mere outlines of themselves, this is merely so-so.
Babs
This was a good book a bit slow in the first chapter, but then it starts taking off and was a nice read. You got to see a few different sides to everyone.
Tracy
Liked this the most of the P&P sequels I have read. No smut, interesting twists, a little too much convenience but overall, enjoyable and happy endings.
Debbie
I love Pride and Prejudice, but this is a piece of crap. On its own merits, it sucks, in the context of Pride and Prejudice its awful.
Valerie
I liked this book I thought the author did a good job, and it picked up where PRIDE AND Prejudice left off quite well.
Kimberly
Sep 11, 2008 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
I always wondered what happened after the wedding. This is a great way to let the story have another ending.
Charlotte Wiebe
She did well finishing off the most wonderful love story of all time. Really well done.
Vicky
Oct 14, 2013 Vicky marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I tried, but this felt more like a history book than an actual novel.
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • Pemberley Manor
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • And This Our Life: Chronicles of the Darcy Family: Book 1
  • Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Conviction: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Postscript from Pemberley (The Pemberley Chronicles, #7)
  • Emma & Knightley: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Emma
  • Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3)
  • Mr. Darcy's Proposal
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Affinity and Affection
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice A Completion of Sanditon, Jane Austen's Unfinished Novel Ask Jane Austen The Nightflight Dreamship Fitzwilliam Darcy's Memoirs: An Insight Into Jane Austen's Hero