Lucy the Good

Lucy the Good

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Lucy van Loon knows she’s a good girl. So why is she always sitting in the Time Out chair? After all, she had a very good reason for dumping Jacinta’s unicorn pencils all over the floor. And she only threw a tantrum because her aunt from Holland called her a bad girl and a greedy liar, which was UTTERLY untrue.

But what if Lucy is bad? Her grumpy aunt certainly seems to thi...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lucy the Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy the Good

Anne Hamilton
Lucy van Loon has trouble at school. Jacinta the unicorn-lover insists Lucy's poem is copied. Is it time for a tantrum or time for the "Time Out" chair?

Lucy van Loon has trouble at home. Her Tante Bep has come from Holland and is sharing her room. They get off to a bad start when Tante Bep decides that Lucy is lying about her little brother's allergy to eggs just so she can get more for herself.

Tante tells her it's only a few days until Sinterklaas Day when the good kids are divided from the bad...more
Tara
This book is pretty humorous. Lucy is always getting into trouble, then her aunt from Holland comes to visit. Her aunt tells her about Black Piet who takes bad children to Spain and she shows Lucy the bad that Black Piet will use. Lucys attempts to be good just get her into more and more trouble. My 9 year old loved this book. It is very similar in style to "Junie B. Jones" or "Clementine".
Zoe Mezzino
Its very easy to relate to Lucy Van Loon. She is defiant, hilarious, uncontrollable, energetic and unbelievable all in one. She does things we would all like to do very much at some point in our lives.
Addison Children
Fans of Ramona and Junie B. will enjoy Lucy. She is the girl who wants to be good, tries to be good, but it never quite works out for her.
Patricia Puddle
I loved this book. I bought it in a bookshop in NSW for one of my nieces, but I liked it so much that I kept it for myself instead. I figured my grandkids, nieces and nephews could still read it at my house. LOL.

Lucy a delightful and funny character and is a lot like I was as a child. The author's writing is excellent and as she writes in the same genre as me, this book caught my attention. I also love writing about naughty, mischievous characters. And I'm so glad I bought it. It's hillarious. I...more
Lora
This is about a Dutch little girl! I couldn't believe it when I started reading the book. I thought the plot was about a girl trying to control her anger (and it is), but it's about a Dutch girl too and all sorts of Dutch customs!

I do have to say that this book covered the topic of anger management really well for second graders (that's Lucy's age) without being preachy. Musgrove really gets into the head of children for this book and it shows. A very well written book.

Fans of Clementine will lo...more
Susan
I struggled between giving this 2 stars and 3 stars, and ultimately decided on 3 because the theme -- how hard it is for a young student to deal with anger -- is a good one. But I don't even accept the concept of kids being "good" or "bad": surely it's the actions that are good or bad, not the kids. So I was frustrated with that through the whole book. If you set that one huge issue aside, though, Lucy's concerns and frustrations are real ones, and they were dealt with sympathetically.
Alyssa
Lucy doesn't think she's bad, but she keeps getting in trouble. And when her great aunt arrives from Holland, Lucy can't seem to do anything right. The more she tries to be good, the worse it gets. She has to figure out once and for all if she's good or bad.

This is a fun story about learning to control your temper, and helping others understand you. It's also set in Australia, and so gives glimpses into life in that country.
Peter McDonald
This is a stunning read for children and their parents. Lucy finds herself exploring good and bad and that messy space inbetween. We read it aloud to our 8&9 year olds after the evening meal - and had much fun and good conversation.
Iqbal Ramadhan
Iqbal Ramadhan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Katie Fitzgerald
Katie Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Misty
Misty added it
Apr 30, 2013
Ni'am
Ni'am marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2012
Cathy
Cathy added it
Mar 26, 2012
The Worry Tree (Pohon Cemas) Don't Breathe a Word The Beginner's Guide to Revenge Lucy The Lie Detector