Start by marking “Wait Till Next Year: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Wait Till Next Year: A Memoir

Wait Till Next Year: A Memoir

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  3,914 ratings  ·  521 reviews
Wait Till Next Year: A Memoir, by Goodwin, Doris Kearns
Published October 21st 1997 by Simon & Schuster (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wait Till Next Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wait Till Next Year

Steve Sckenda
Doris Kearns Goodwin, the Pulitzer-Prize-winning biographer of Lincoln and FDR, describes growing up as an Irish-Catholic in Long Island during the 1950’s. The slow death of Doris’ mother and the disappearance of her world destroyed her idyllic childhood. But an excellent father, community, church, and baseball consoled her and contributed to her achievement.

Goodwin credits her storytelling skill to baseball. Starting in 1949, young Doris would listen to Brooklyn Dodger games on the radio durin
Teresa
Goodwin is an enthusiastic 'voice' that I remember quite well from Ken Burns' "Baseball" documentary. Not for nothing did her dad nickname her 'Bubbles,' as she relates in this book. My dad taught me how to keep score when I was very young, as did hers, and I also felt that baseball connection with my dad that she had with hers.

As far as memoirs goes, this book is okay, especially if you have no idea what it was like to be a Catholic child growing up in the '50s in the U.S., or perhaps if you a
Barbara
Doris Kearns Goodwin is best known for her presidential biographies. However, she is also an inveterate lover of baseball. Kearns Goodwin grew up in Long Island, NY, in a close, lower middle class neighborhood in the 1940’s and 1950’s. At that time there were three baseball teams in NY – the Yankees (it’s hard for me, a Red Sox fan to even write that name) in the Bronx, the Giants in Manhattan, and the Brooklyn Dodgers. The Dodgers were (was?) Jackie Robinson’s team, and during Kearns Goodwin’s ...more
Robert
Lots of fun, even if you come from a family of Yankees fans.

Doris Kearns Goodwin is better known for her presidential histories. I've enjoyed her The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys and Team of Rivals. In this memoir we get to learn more about her own life and upbringing.

She grew up in Rockville Centre, Long Island, in the late '40s and '50s. The important themes of her childhood seem to be [A] Catholicism and [B] the Brooklyn Dodgers, not necessarily in that order.

And I have to say, her childhood
monica
Jul 21, 2008 monica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Red Sox fans and baby boomers
Touching coming of age memoir from the fifties. Women of a certain age will remember many of the same scenarios, from studying the Baltimore catechism while preparing for first Communion, to swapping baseball cards, riding far beyond the neighborhood on our bicycles, and being welcome in any family's house or seeing our mothers ironing in front of the television.
Suzanne

This was a quick read filled with nostalgia. I'm about 10 years younger than Goodwin , but easily related to her childhood experience of suburban, almost idyllic life on Long Island. Doors were open, doctors lived on the street and made house calls, TVs were in large consoles though their screens were small and their antennas had to be fiddled with and Howdie Doodie was the Saturday show of choice. Moms watched Soaps and wore aprons, and dads went to work in suits and drank martinis.
In the Prefa
Ron
This is a great book for anyone who loves baseball and grew up in the 40's and 50's when the Dodgers and Giants were still in Brooklyn and New York and were winning world series titles. It is also the memoirs of Doris Gearns Goodwin when she was a kid growing up in Long Island in the 50's with a very nostalgic look back at a less complicated America of that time.
Hapzydeco
Read during the 2014 World Series. Doris Kearns Goodwin retelling of 50’s baseball history helped to recall my fond memories of the Yankees and Dodger rivalry. While perhaps best read during the baseball season, this memoir resonates for all seasons.
Brian Eshleman
If you saw Ken Burns' series Baseball, you caught the good parts, and they were related with a lot more passion than Doris Kearns Goodwin conveys in reading her own audio book. Still, the good parts really were good parts.

For her, baseball is a measuring stick of maturity. Her development as a storyteller starts in relating a game's happenings to her father. She learns to avoid skipping to the most exciting parts in order to build the anticipation. She learns about the disappointment and bittern
Kathy
Mar 07, 2008 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathy by: Baseball swap
The story of a young girl's love of baseball, by a master storyteller.
Sally Atwell Williams
I loved this book. And as much as I love to read, both fiction and non-fiction, this is the first Doris Kearns Goodwin book I have read. I loved her story of growing up close to New York City and Brooklyn. And her love for the Brooklyn Dodgers is so incredible. Writing about her neighborhood, her friends, her family, her schools brought back many memories to me. The first TV to come into the neighborhood, and the joy when her father bought one. Sitting on the porch or roaming the neighborhood wi ...more
Rickyjez
I can't wait until the next time I see Goodwin on Meet the Press . . . I'll feel like I'm watching an old friend. She shares an intimate account of her childhood in this memoir that is laughable, nostalgic, and tragic--but always filled with optimism. Today Goodwin is a renowned presidential historian, academic scholar, best selling author, and die hard Red Sox fan. She bubbles over when she talks to audiences and you can always envision the little girl in her, because of her overt enthusiasm fo ...more
John and Kris
Each spring I try to read a book about baseball to get me excited for the upcoming season. In the recent past I’ve read Opening Day, Voices of Summer, The Bad Guys Won, Cobb, The Boys of Summer, The Soul of Baseball, Moneyball, Joe DiMaggio, and For The Love of the Game. I decided upon Doris Kearns Goodwin’s memoir after reading an excellent piece by Diana Schaub in National Affairs titled, “America at the Bat” http://www.nationalaffairs.com/public...

Full disclosure, I read this book as a "how t
Jaclyn
Goodwin's book Wait Till Next Year is a nostalgic memoir flavored with her love of baseball and her family. Goodwin is known to most people as the Pulitzer Prize winning author and expert on Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt. In this book though she is just the girl next door who grew up idolizing her father and Jackie Robinson, and dreaming of the year when the Dodgers would win the pennant. If you don't have some appreciation for baseball, her details on the classic New York falls might grow tedi ...more
Amy
9/10
A couple of years ago, I attempted to listen to Team of Rivals (also written by Doris Kearns Goodwin). I hate to not finish books (especially good ones), but it was so long, and I couldn't finish it before it was due, and then there was a massive hold list...and so I gave up.

But this book was different. For one thing, is was about 600 pages shorter. And because I love reading about the lives of other people, memoirs almost always hold my interest. But unlike other memoirs, this one sometimes
Steven Stark
If you enjoyed Ken Burns' Documentary on Baseball, then you will know this author as the likable, energetic lady remembering how important The Brooklyn Dodgers were to her childhood in the 50's.
Her memoir of growing up in the 50's presents a fairly idyllic childhood, though not perfect, filled with neighborhood familes, friends and local shops where everyone knew each other. The sense of community is quite visceral throughout. I found her writing about growing up in the Catholic church to be q
Peggy Z
Oct 21, 2011 Peggy Z rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all ages
A wonderful memoir about the author's childhood in the 1950's. She lived in Rockville Centre on the South Shore of Long Island, New York. Her father was born in Brooklyn and was an avid Dodger fan. As a young girl, Doris Kearns became a huge fan of the Dodgers and of baseball. Her poignant and entertaining memoirs of that time are so skillfully presented, that you can imagine yourself being transported back to an era that seemed so much more innocent then today.

Besides her entertaining stories a
Katie Dubik Schwarz
This was a book handed to me by a librarian friend--given to me because I have been writing about children's baseball books for months. "I know you like baseball and this was leftover from the book sale."

What a coincidence that I then shared the book with my grandfather, who at 92 suddenly has become a Reader, who played ball with many of the players talked about and rooted for by the author. He read it and recounted his years of playing ball with them through tears. I read it next and definite
Catherine
Aug 16, 2014 Catherine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Catherine by: Ann
Author and historian Doris Kearns Goodwin’s memoir of her childhood. She tells of growing up in the 1940s and 50s with her loving Catholic family in an idyllic middle class Brooklyn suburb. Baseball played an important part in their lives -- almost everyone was a rabid fan, although not necessarily supporting the same team. Doris’s family’s team was the Dodgers, and her childhood ends as the Dodgers move to LA and her mother dies after many years of poor health. She works in some of the major hi ...more
Murray
A nice little memoir, unique in that it intertwines suburban America in the fifties with the life of a female baseball fanatic. Goodwin's story is a quick, uncomplicated read. Her devotion to her family and to her beloved Brooklyn Dodgers are both pure and touching, as she never loses faith in either.
Lisa
Throughout this book, I felt like I was sitting with someone, listening to them tell me stories from their childhood. Perhaps it was because I have seen Ms. Goodwin speak, but I think that it had much more to do with her writing style. This book is loaded with stories about growing up in the New York of the late 1940's through the mid 1950's. Kearns discusses how events in the country/world effected her life--desegregation in the South, the launching of Sputnik, the trial of Julius and Ethel Ros ...more
John
I had heard raves about this book so I was disappointed at first. It seemed a bit trite, like an extended "Father Knows Best" episode, domesticity in the 50s. Ho hum.

Then Doris started to draw me in. I especially like how she filtered historic events through the prism of a young girl's perception - the Army-McCarthy congressional hearings for example, and the trial of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.

The most fun, however, was her re-telling of the trials and triumphs of Dem Bums, the Brooklyn Dodger
Toni
This book was so enjoyable to read primarily because it so reminded me of my own childhood.
Read "Barbara's" review, it's perfect. I could never do it any better. Enjoy!
Lynn Green
I find it entirely appropriate that the first book I have read in 2015 is centered on baseball and history, two loves of my life. I read Doris Kearns Goodwin's superior history of Abraham Lincoln's presidency, "A Team of Rivals." Recently I watched Ken Burn's nine part documentary "Baseball" on the Major League Baseball channel. Doris is interviewed extensively as she recounts her childhood worship of the Brooklyn Dodges and later fandom of the Boston Red Sox. This led me to this book.

Kerns Good
Steven
Doris Kearns Goodwin did a great job in making simple things in her youth seem so important in her memoir. She captured the difficulties of her mother's health and her special relationship with her father and baseball. She also blended in milestones of history that were going on around her as she was growing up. I have read many of her nonfiction books on history and listened to her comments as a guest on the Sunday morning news shows. It was great to know her through this memoir.
Paula
I enjoyed this memoir and Goodwin's thoughtful reminiscences about growing up in a Long Island town in the 50's. Along with stories about her family life, she weaves in political and social history. She goes into fascinating detail about baseball, particularly the Brooklyn Dodgers, which influenced her development. My father, long deceased, was a devoted Dodgers fan, so the book had a personal element of history for me and evoked my own recollections from the golden age of baseball.
Lisa Lewton
I loved this book. Goodwin is a smooth and engaging writer. The baseball talk was fun, drawing readers back to a different "season". She pointed to a variety of icons of her day, like the neighborhood shops and television. I hadn't realized the tv was initially something that brought neighborhoods together, as people gathered among these unique gateways into the wider world to watch a baseball game or family show. A relaxing, interesting, and very well-written book.
John
Well, if there was any doubt before (after reading Team of Rivals), there is no doubt now...I am a Doris Kearns Goodwin fan. I am so glad she has written more books that I haven't read. I can't wait to get to them.

This delightful autobiography of her early years brought back many memories of my own early years. I'm not a baseball fan, but I do recall watching some world series games on television in the school gym during PE class. In those days there were no major league baseball teams on the we
Lenore
Nov 23, 2008 Lenore rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of baseball or the author
I read this book several years ago and I remember it fondly every Spring as each new baseball season opens. Doris Kearns Goodwin tells of her love of baseball, the Brooklyn Dodgers and her father. Her vivid descriptions of growing up in the fifties and the rivalry between the fans of the Dodgers and Yankees make this book a fun read. It is a snapshot into the childhood of this respected Presidential historian.
Ed
If you like baseball, the 1950s, or New York City, this fast-paced, at times poignant memoir is for you. I enjoyed reading it. DKG was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan through the 1950s when they won their only World Series and then moved to the west coast in LA along with the Giants relocating to San Francisco. Years later, I rooted for the 1969 Mets managed by old Dodger Gil Hodges.
  • The Glory of Their Times : The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It
  • The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship
  • Veeck--As In Wreck: The Autobiography of Bill Veeck
  • As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires
  • The Era, 1947-1957: When the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers Ruled the World
  • Game Six: Cincinnati, Boston, and the 1975 World Series: The Triumph of America's Pastime
  • Baseball
  • Men at Work
  • True North: A Memoir
  • Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers
  • Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
Also credited as "Doris Kearns" on the first editions of Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream.
More about Doris Kearns Goodwin...
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt - The Home Front in World War II The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys: An American Saga Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream: The Most Revealing Portrait of a President and Presidential Power Ever Written

“For your penance, say two Hail Marys, three our Fathers, and," he added, with a chuckle, "say a special prayer for the Dodgers.” 3 likes
“I liked the thought that the book I was now holding had been held by dozens of others.” 1 likes