Start by marking “Gawain & Lady Green” as Want to Read:
Gawain & Lady Green

Gawain & Lady Green (Merlin's Harp #2)

2.78 of 5 stars 2.78  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this enchanting story of love and betrayal filled with powerful women, magical druids, ethereal children, and unforeseeable surprises, 'Gawain & Lady Green' presents a new twist on the classic Middle English poem while capturing the essence of Arthurian legend.
Published December 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published April 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Gawain & Lady Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gawain & Lady Green

Jacki
In this tale of Arthurian romance for young adults, Lady Green, witch and priestess to the Goddess, but decide between her people and her love when Gawain stumbles into their May Day celebration. Crowned the May King, Gawain must be sacrificed at summer's end to ensure the next year's crop and his fate is outside Lady Green's control. Or is it.

I had high hopes for this tale but was terribly disappointed. Gawain, the Christian Knight is portrayed as a prideful and arrogant fool. Yet, he is also p
Sidhe
Jun 27, 2008 Sidhe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Arthurian fiction
In this novel Crompton retells the Arthurian legend of Gawain and the Green Knight in such a way that is both enchanting and believable. Sir Gawain of Camelot has lost his companions, his supplies and his way when he stumbles upon a Beltane celebration in a rural Celtic village. Riding into the celebration with the intention of demanding hospitality, Gawain is unwilling crowned May King, an honor which may prove to be more dangerous than it seems. The only hope for the haughty nobleman to ever r ...more
Nikki
As the novel opens, Gawain is a big entitled git. Admittedly, he has reasons for being surly, since he's being kept in the village as the May King, and his horse has been killed, his weapons taken... Still, even before that, he just expects to be given whatever he wants, just because he's a knight. He's a very young Gawain.

The writing-style seems... amateurish. Gawain's thoughts, for example, are amateurish, and the transition between third person limited to Gawain and third person limited to La
The Winter Rose
To be fair, I didn't finish this book. I only was able to sit through about 25 pages and put it down, so keep in mind my review and judgement is based on this beginning.

This book didn't hold me. I couldn't read any longer.
And I have a major gripe with it. Mainly that this was placed in the YA section. This book should not be considered YA, it should be in the adult fantasy/sci-fi section. Reason being? Way too much sexuality and the fact that Lady Green is a teenage mother. I'm sorry but I simpl
Anne Hamilton
The last section of this book is based firmly on the poem Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, even lifting lines from the fourteenth century Middle English original. However Gawain is a chaste and virtuous 'gentil parfait' knight in that poem and he is certainly not in Crompton's retelling.

In fact, her beginning has much in common with the French versions of Gawain’s story, where he is very much the lady's man. However, the parallels are only very loose. Nothing French fits the start with the same
Rachel Olivier
Pretty good read. I was kinda bored in the beginning, having read Gawain and the Green Knight, I kept waiting for *that* portion of the story to begin. This story actually has a pre-story to the original that's important for the set up of the retelling of the rest of the tale. So, it's important to read and then you get it and it's like "oh"!

And for some reason this is marketed as a YA book, but it's not really. I mean someone 14 years old could read it and enjoy it and it would be fine, but it'
Uldene Lawyer
I went back and forth between thinking this was an okay book and being utterly disgusted with it. its suppose to be a feminist retelling and the premise is good... a woman who is priestess and a powerful figure in her community would be a powerful feminist figure if she wasn't portrayed as manipulative and evil. mostly it was just insulting.
Sabrina
Four stars for the high quality of Crompton's prose, although the story didn't come together as well as Merlin's Harp did, in terms of character development. A very inventive retelling of Gawain and the Green Knight.
Arthurian Lucre
Well, I actually abandoned this at page 30. I just don't like how the author writes, the story was confusing and the characters not interesting. Maybe it was too early to stop reading but I was too bored.
Kaylene
Marked as read so I don't accidentally get it again. How absolutely boring! I struggled to get through the first quarter and just couldn't read anymore.
Mainrun
One of the few Knights at the Roundtable books I have read.
Karen
Aug 28, 2009 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alicia
Recommended to Karen by: Sheepngoat1
Interesting variation on an old tale.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
jessica
jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Flisan Granberg
Flisan Granberg marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Korbie Fowers
Korbie Fowers marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Nicoleta Mocanu
Nicoleta Mocanu marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Mary Kundert
Mary Kundert marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Lisa Dinsmore
Lisa Dinsmore marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Aviva
Aviva added it
Apr 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Prince of Dreams: A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte
  • I Am Mordred
  • Damosel: In Which the Lady of the Lake Renders a Frank and Often Startling Account of her Wondrous Life and Times
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • Shalott (Shalott, #1)
  • Lancelot Du Lethe
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • The King
  • The Wolf and the Crown (Arthor, #3)
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Katy's Debate (Katy Lambright Series, #2)
  • Parzival: The Quest of the Grail Knight
  • Yseult: A Tale of Love in the Age of King Arthur (The Pendragon Chronicles, #1)
  • The Lady of the Sea (Tristan and Isolde, #3)
  • Goodbye Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #4)
ANNE ELIOT CROMPTON is an award-winning author of children's books. She has raised ponies and goats and painted wildlife. Born to Ethel Cook Eliot (a writer) and Samuel Eliot (a professor) she attended the Academy of the Sacred Heart (now Doane Stuart School) in Albany, New York. She worked briefly in Providence, Florida; then married Willard Crompton and moved to the small hill town of Chesterfie ...more
More about Anne Eliot Crompton...

Merlin's Harp (3 books)
  • Merlin's Harp (Merlin's Harp, #1)
  • Percival's Angel (Merlin's Harp, #3)
Merlin's Harp (Merlin's Harp, #1) Percival's Angel (Merlin's Harp, #3) The Rainbow Pony (Alice Brown's Pony, #1) The Snow Pony The Wildflower Pony (Alice Brown's Pony, #2)