Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty

Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  15 reviews
First-ever biography of Lady Margaret Beaufort.Born in the midst of the Wars of the Roses, Margaret Beaufort became the greatest heiress of her time. She survived a turbulent life, marrying four times and enduring imprisonment before passing her claim to the crown of England to her son, Henry VII, the first of the Tudor monarchs.

Margaret's royal blood placed her on the fri...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Amberley Publishing (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret Beaufort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret Beaufort

Jemidar

I really enjoyed this book and it was interesting to read about the real Margaret. As a secret long time fan of hers, I now feel justified in believing there was so much more to this woman than is usually presented by (popular) historical fiction authors.

While this biography could probably be classed as 'history lite' it was accessible, readable and informative. While there are probably more thorough biographies out there, this is a great place start.
Erin
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

The thing I appreciate most about this book is that Norton doesn't try to recreate Margaret’s personality. She hints here and there but it is always based on Margaret’s own words or actions. For example, Norton covers the intense feelings Margaret had regarding the early marriage of her granddaughter but she doesn’t make assumptions about Margaret's emotions during her own early marriage to a man near...more
Isis
Margaret Beaufort: Mother of the Tudor Dynasty reminds me a great deal of the non-fiction history I just finished; Jane Boleyn: The Infamous Lady Rochford. Both had as their subject an historical figure about whom only scraps of evidence survive to present day, and as a result have rather sparse material to work with. As a direct consequence, specific biographic detail on their chosen individuals is somewhat scarce and meagre fare. However, whilst Julia Fox padded out her work with vivid descrip...more
Jodi
Already have a book on Margaret Beaufort (and have her covered via books on other Tudors) and find her a fascinating biography. Norton did a good job of laying out the bare bones of Margaret’s life—using many primary sources and quoting from them extensively. Wouldn’t say there was a great deal of analysis but there really isn’t the need. Margaret managed to survive and formulate much of her life in an era when women had little power let alone rights. She did become a huge influence (not in any...more
Victoria
I enjoyed this biography of Margaret Beaufort very much. She was such an interesting woman with a passion for her family and a love of learning. It was good to read about her actual life rather than the usual panto bad guy you get it many works of fiction. It turns out that Margaret was an actual woman, a woman with beliefs and dreams, a pious, intelligent and brave woman. Not deserving of that Mag-The-Hag monika that she seems to unfairly be given in recent times.
Kara

While this could have been simply yet another re-telling of the War of the Roses, Norton really digs in deep to pull out every primary source she can get her hands on to try and shone a light on Margaret Beaufort, quite rightly given the title “Mother of the Tudor Dynasty.”

While I LOVED all the primary sources she quoted I think it wouldn’t have hurt her historiography street cred to update the language to modern spelling – ye ole spelling maketh my eyes bleed’d.

Also, she keeps jumping forward i...more
Elizabeth
A fascinating and detailed study of the life of Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII, grandmother of Henry VIII.
Fliss Bridgwater
I was so engrossed in this book that I couldn't put it down to walk down the stairs - as a result I missed 2 steps, and injured my ankle quite badly. I finished reading the book in bed - which is testament to how engrossing it is!

I find the women of the late Plantagenet / Tudor period fascinating, and Margaret Beaufort is a prime example of a woman surviving and even excelling, in what was very much a man's world. This book sets out the facts of her life clearly but not coldly.
Katie
Apr 27, 2012 Katie marked it as to-read
Unfortunately, I forgot that I needed to return this to Interlibrary Loan today, so I'll have to finish it in the future. One of the things I haven't been super fond of so far is the way that Elizabeth Norton quotes her primary sources. Sometimes she puts them into modern English, and sometimes she leaves them in the Middle English. Having lengthy, difficult to read passages is ridiculous. There is no reason why modernizing the language and spelling makes the source any less authentic. If the la...more
Margery
Thought this was a great book about Margaret Beaufort. Not too long and exactly what I was looking for.
Highly recommended.
Kat
May 18, 2014 Kat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
I have read a number of books on Margaret Beaufort and this is definitely the best. Informative and interesting.
Destiny
Very informative about a woman we only know much about later in life. I had no idea about some of the things that were in thia book.
Jane Massy
Extraordinary woman with a fascinating life. Worth reading , easy if a little plodding
Cate Gow
It is interesting
Mary Catherine
Mary Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Kiley-anne
Kiley-anne marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Trache Can
Trache Can marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Courtney Andresen
Courtney Andresen marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Amber Marie
Amber Marie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Angi
Angi marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Silvia
Silvia marked it as to-read
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Ingrid
Ingrid marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Mikki
Mikki marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Ksab
Ksab marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
  • The Mistresses of Henry VIII
  • Elizabeth's Women: Friends, Rivals, and Foes Who Shaped the Virgin Queen
  • The Perfect King: The Life of Edward III, Father of the English Nation
  • Tudor Queens of England
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion And Treason   The Secret Wars Against The Tudors
  • A Daughter's Love: Thomas More and His Dearest Meg
  • Katherine Howard: A Tudor Conspiracy
  • Traitors of the Tower
  • Bess of Hardwick: First Lady of Chatsworth, 1527-1608
  • Arbella: England's Lost Queen
Elizabeth Norton is a British historian specialising in the queens of England and the Tudor period. She obtained an Master of Arts in Archaeology and Anthropology from the University of Cambridge in 2003 and a masters degree in European Archaeology from the University of Oxford in 2004.

Elizabeth Norton is the author of five non-fiction works: She Wolves, The Notorious Queens of England (The Histor...more
More about Elizabeth Norton...
Anne Boleyn: Henry VIII's Obsession Anne of Cleves: Henry VIII's Discarded Bride Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love She Wolves: The Notorious Queens of Medieval England Catherine Parr