Start by marking “Buried Strangers” as Want to Read:
Buried Strangers

Buried Strangers (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #2)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  239 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Praise for Leighton Gage’s Chief Inspector Mario Silva series:

“Realistic characters that the readers can care about. . . . The ultimate story of the haves vs. the have nots.”—Detroit Free Press

“Gage's compelling novels are good examples of how talented crime writers use the police procedural form to lay bare a society.”—Indianapolis Star

“Gage creates a contemporary tape
Published January 1st 2009 by Soho Crime

To ask other readers questions about Buried Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buried Strangers

Patricia
Dec 28, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buried Strangers started slow for me but the pace picked up rapidly and continued to a dramatic and exciting ending. The slow start was due to the background of the political corruption and poverty that exists in Brazil. This background is necessary for the reader to fully comprehend the horrors set forth in Gage’s novel.

The Mop is a dog treasured by his owner and despised by Hans, an employee of the owner, whose main occupation was keeping track of The Mop. The Mop’s last excursion led to the d
Larry
Jan 05, 2009 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BURIED STRANGERS
By Leighton Gage
ISBN: 978-1-56947-514-0
Soho Press, 2009
Hardcover, $24.00

In what has been called the largest urban forest in the world, the Serra da Cantareira, a young man seeking a dog stumbles across what turns out to be an entire clandestine cemetery. The local police delegado, Yoshiro Tanaka leads the investigation, but the case has also drawn the attention of the federal police, and Chief Inspector Mario Silva, who assigns his team to it as well. In the midst of this, Silva’
Joyce Lagow
Aug 02, 2011 Joyce Lagow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Second in the Chief Inspector Mario Silva series of the Brasilian Federal Police.

I’ve spent a good deal of time in Brasil, staying, for periods ranging from 6 weeks to 3 months, with either poor families or with Catholic missionaries. During every visit, I heard rumors of street kids disappearing, victims, my Brasilian friends insisted, of the traffic in organ transplants. Gage has written a chilling novel involving that trade.

One of the strengths of Gage’s strong writing is the atmosphere of a
Melissa
Oct 23, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
I was in Brazil for just about four hours once to visit a waterfall. For that I had to make two visits to the Brazilian embassy for a visa. So, I've always wanted to go back. However these books make me kind of glad I'm not in Brazil. The level of street crime described in the series is shocking and I don't know how far off the mark it is. Good books, definitely not for the faint of heart.
Kristin
Once it gets going, it definitely has some suspense, but I had trouble getting into the story. There are many, many, many different characters and there is very little character development. I felt the story line was a bit implausible and the ending came out of left field. The author makes a case for the plausibility of the ending in the afterward, but that doesn't change the fact that the possibility was never even hinted at before the last few pages. And, after spending an entire book showing ...more
Annabelle
Mar 22, 2014 Annabelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author Gage is gnarly, cynical, affectionate to Brazil and fun to read. He reminds me of the Sicilian writer Camilleri, vulgar yet kind and funny. It’s a short read. But he draws life in Sao Paulo, Brazil’s main city, vividly and respectfully, particularly in the favelas. The protagonist, Sliva, a federal detective, has to lie to work around the corruption of his boss. He has a funny and likable group of colleagues, Hector, his nephew, Goncalves, the chick magnet. A bunch of bodies are found in ...more
Laurel
Jul 10, 2014 Laurel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I enjoyed the characters and the plot, which I did immensely, I particularly was drawn to the aspects of Brazilian society revealed, not only the comparison of the haves to the have-nots, but the historical threads that explained such elements as the presence of so many Japanese surnames in Brazil. Reading it while the World Cup was taking place on TV made me keenly aware of the references in the book to the importance of such to the country. I will definitely read more of Gage's stor ...more
Rob Kitchin
Buried Strangers is an engaging read. Gage writes in an assured, economical style heavy on dialogue and action. The political, social and economic relations of modern Brazil are laid bare without overly dominating the text; there’s plenty of context without it being a geography/history lesson. The characterization is good, with Gage able to quickly sketch a portrait that appears in the reader’s mind’s eye. The storyline for Buried Strangers is contemporary and interesting, if more than a little ...more
Clarissa Draper
May 30, 2011 Clarissa Draper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-mysteries
The writing is great, the mystery is wonderful, the characters true to life. This writer has a mystery series that rivals all the top names. One of the best things about the book is the setting--Brazil. Gage takes us to Sao Paulo in this novel and readers get a glimpse into the lives of the rich and poor and corrupt.

I must warn you, some parts in this book are really disturbing. In the book, a mass gave containing many including children was discovered. Perhaps I wouldn't have been so affected i
Valentina
May 15, 2011 Valentina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an entertaining read!
I received this book directly from the author and I’m very glad I got a chance to review it. What first attracted me to the story was its location. It’s not very often that detective novels take place in Brazil, which made it stand out from the crowd. I loved the gritty atmosphere, the detailed descriptions of the country’s underbelly, and the use of the language throughout the pages that never gets too repetitive or distracting.
The characters are not as important as t
Beth
Sep 08, 2010 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: murderblog@yahoo.com

Leighton Gage’s first book, BLOOD OF THE WICKED, starts with the assassination of a Catholic bishop; from the first pages it is a book that can’t be put down. Gage’s second book, BURIED STRANGERS, begins with a dog and a bone and secret cemeteries. It, too, is a book the reader will not want to put down.

Hans claimed he spent half his working life chasing after his employer’s dog, Herbert, an old-English sheepdog generally referred to as The Mop. The Mop always found ways of escaping from his fen
Leighton Gage
Jan 23, 2010 Leighton Gage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From Booklist:
(Starred Review)
Jan 2009

Gage’s second Mario Silva mystery is an impressive follow up to an excellent debut (Blood of the Wicked, 2008), with an equally compelling plot, fascinating characters, and a story so real and chilling, it’s hard to image it happening anywhere else but Silva’s Brazil. When a dog accidentally locates a secret burial site in an isolated park on the outskirts of Sao Paulo, Silva takes on the massive, country-spanning investigation.
With the assistance of his off
Claire
Aug 06, 2013 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is the first Mario Silva book I picked up at the library, and I loved it so much that I gulped two of them down before heading back to the library for the third one on the shelf. These stories are set in Brazil and follow the Chief Inspector of the federal police as he investigates, and ultimately solves, murders. What I liked most about these is that they are novels, and so attention and care is given to plot, characters, pace, and setting, almost as much as the "action" sequences. If you' ...more
Debbi Mack
Jan 15, 2011 Debbi Mack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When an errant dog unwittingly discovers a mass unmarked burial site, Chief Inspector Mario Silva of the Brazilian Federal Police and his associates are called upon to help investigate. The clues include families buried together and missing families from poor sections of the city. Initial leads seem to point toward a cult, but his boss Nelson Sampaio discourages Silva from pursuing the case further in favor of gathering dirt on a political opponent. However, Silva ignores him and keeps looking i ...more
Gina
A different mystery set in Sao Paolo and Brasilia, the main character is chief inspector of the Federal Police. When an unmarked graveyard is found in a rural area outside the city, the search is on for a possible serial killer. As more evidence is uncovered he begins to suspect that there might be a cold-blooded reason for all the killings, a possible illegal organ transplant business.
Irene
Jan 25, 2016 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mary
Mar 05, 2010 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed this. I think the best is that it captures urban Brazil/Sao Paolo, without the sense that it needs to be a travelogue or history lesson, and terms in Portuguese are casually translated if necessary. I also liked a couple of the details/side stories, like the delegado who allows the women prisoners to vote on what color the holding cell should be - and shocking pink is picked. I did not think the last chapter was necessary - there is no reason that Mengele needs to be tied to th ...more
Jer Hogan
Jul 07, 2014 Jer Hogan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting crime novel with an exotic location (Brazil) and a gritty feel. Lots of corruption. Entertaining and I'll definitely check out the rest of the series.
Joe
Jan 10, 2016 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, but there was a more complex and interesting story waiting to be told here that got done in by a ruthlessly simple villain.
Linda Redman
Jan 27, 2016 Linda Redman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Likes this one even berter than his first one. A Brasil versiÍ_n of the Swedish mystery writers
Michael
Feb 20, 2010 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this a little more than the Gage's first.

What really distinguishes this series, of course, is the setting. Gage's Brazil is a place where corruption is a fact of life, and random violence is a constant threat. The line between good guy and bad guy is much fuzzier than in typical American police novels, and that tension is the driving force of the novel.

Like Blood of the Wicked, Buried Strangers is a little more violent and disturbing than my usual fare. To me, the excellent writing ma
Randi
Feb 12, 2015 Randi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun as I'm gong to Brazil. Otherwise, there are much better mysteries to read
Rachelle
Apr 18, 2014 Rachelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2014-read
I picked this up hoping to get a good mystery. Instead I got a look at life in Brazil with the mention of a mystery sprinkled in. Not a fan.
Mary Ahlgren
Mar 22, 2015 Mary Ahlgren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a story. What a country..
Mary
Nov 06, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd Mario Silva mystery I have read. I upped the starts to 5 because if I can't put a book down then I don't know how it could get any better. Wonderful series set in Brazil. This one about a whole hidden graveyard of bodies and the nefarious reason for killing them. Besides the excellent descriptions of police life in Brazil, all of the characters, women included, are excellently developed. Will be reading the whole series asap.
Catherine Woodman
I enjoyed this book, and I liked it more than the last one I read in this series, but it was a bit over the top, and the plot warrented a more involved book I thought (and never really gave us much in the way of something to get inside why someone would go down the path that this character did (the bad guy)--and itis based on a true fact, that Mengele was in South America after WWII (both the Nazi's and the Jews went there and started over again).
Lucinda
Jul 29, 2011 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#2 in the Mario Silva series
Silva is called to Sao Paulo to help with the investigation of a cache of bodies buried in the woods. The hearts have been surgically removed, and Silva at first fears a serial killer, then a ring supplying hearts for organ transplants.
Leighton Gage page at SYKM
Robert Intriago
I enjoyed the book. It has politics, corruption, some interesting scientific facts, local color and good character development of the bad guys. It is not as edgy as the first Gage novel but it is still good. I wish Inspector Silva was more involved in the investigation, rather than directing them from afar. This maybe the result of the local culture, my opinion.
Terry
Jun 09, 2009 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of reasons to pay attention to this writer -- great yarns, believable characters with lots of wonderful little flaws, and a fabulous understanding and description of life in Brazil. Full disclosure: I, too, have lived many years in Brazil, which is why I glommed onto his two books and I'm looking forward to the release of number three in 2010!
Rachel G.
I really enjoy Gage's Brazilian crime series, but I wasn't a huge fan of this one. The stereotypes and urban myths were turned into main plot lines, and it wasn't quite as good as the other one I read. I love the attention to detail and the kernels of actual history and Brazilian culture, but it wasn't as enjoyable as I'd hoped.
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • December Heat
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • The Dragon Man (Inspector Challis, #1)
  • Helsinki White (Inspector Kari Vaara, #3)
  • A Vengeful Longing (Porfiry Petrovich, #2)
  • Let The Dead Lie (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #2)
  • Children of the Street
  • The Hanging Tree
  • Love Songs From A Shallow Grave (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #7)
  • Outsider in Amsterdam (Grijpstra & de Gier Mystery #1)
  • Siren of the Waters (Commander Jana Matinova #1)
  • At the City's Edge
  • The Steam Pig
  • Gallows Lane (Inspector Devlin, #2)
  • Devil's Peak (Benny Griessel, #1)
  • Maid Of The Mist
Died July 27th, 2013

Leighton Gage writes the Chief Inspector Mario Silva series, crime novels set in Brazil. He and his Brazilian-born wife divide their time between their home in Brazil and those of their children and grandchildren in Europe and the U.S.
Praise for the Chief Inspector:

Hard-hitting, atmospheric…. Despite their social conscience and ambitious reach, there's nothing stiff or programm
More about Leighton Gage...

Chief Inspector Mario Silva (7 books)
  • Blood of the Wicked