Start by marking “Imagika I” as Want to Read:
Imagika I

Imagika I (Imajica #1)

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  9,268 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Imagika - tajemný řetězec světů, dominií, kterým pevnou rukou vládne nikým nespatřený Autarcha. Čas jeho vlády se však nachýlil, blíží se výročí Usmíření a s ním i doba neodvratných změn.
Estabrook, muž, který najme vraha pro svou manželku, nevědomky rozehrává hru, jejíž následky si stěží dokáže představit kdokoliv v Usmířených dominiích. Existuje však neusmířené dominium,
Published 1995 by Mustang (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Imagika I, please sign up.

Lisa Murphy I think this edition is the split publication. I have the original undivided book, it is a little hard to find anywhere new.

Beatriz
Sep 02, 2015 Beatriz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Lo primero: qué agradable cuando se comienzan esas novelas tan bien escritas que su sola lectura es un placer, y donde para los lectores que preferimos el español, se descubre una traducción igual de cuidadosa.

Ahora la historia: el relato es realmente excepcional, de una originalidad extraordinaria, no repite ninguno de los tópicos del género. La evolución de los acontecimientos y los personajes son de una fluidez realmente fascinante, adentrando al lector en un entorno místico y sensual, con u
Debbie
Oct 08, 2008 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, Clive Barker always takes me forever to read. I think he gets a bit lost in descriptives for my taste. Which isn't to say I don't like his writing, it just doesn't speak to me as much as others. This particular story was apparently chopped in half because of the size of the paperback and print involved in the whole story. Oddly enough, it seems as if the plot could easily be summed up in the next hundred pages from the end that part one had. But I guess that brings us back to th ...more
Rachel Pollock
Jul 11, 2014 Rachel Pollock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grim
I first read Imajica maybe a dozen years ago, and i remembered liking it a lot at the time, but you know, sometimes tastes change. However, i was in the mood for a huge freaky epic reading experience, so i thought i might give it a second whirl, and i'm SO glad i did. I'm enjoying it just as much this time around as i did the first time. Barker's imagination is vast and bizarre in all the best ways. And we need more mystifs here in the Fifth Dominion, or maybe we just need to love the ones we ha ...more
C.
Sep 03, 2014 C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My impressions trim to this: vast talent strained against overkill. “Family Guy” cartoonist Seth McFarlane leaps to mind. Both are boundlessly creative. Minute intricacy of settings is astounding. Vocabulary is elevated, with thought-stirring eloquence even in a bizarre concert of words denoting squalor. I grant three stars because the portions in which Clive excels, are staggeringly original. Both men amount to visionaries but topple the tower of cards with grotesque missteps. I was outraged wh ...more
Brianne
It took me a while to get into it because I had trouble making sense of it. The plot is very complex, yet fascinating. And I've come to learn from reading Clive Barker's books... When you're confused, just go with the flow and keep reading, and it will make sense eventually. This book is a prime example of that.

The environment he created is absolutely enormous. I'm glad there's a glossary in the back or I would be lost.
Zak Johansson
Apr 09, 2013 Zak Johansson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language made it difficult to read but it was interesting nonetheless. And the jesus imagery is interesting as well. I look forward to the reconcilation
Kristen
Sep 24, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imajica is the best of Barker's books! One of my favorite books of all time. Imaginative fantasy worlds are his specialty.
Lori
Aug 07, 2007 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
essential clive barker
Piotrek
Dec 07, 2011 Piotrek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and mesmerizing :)
Nikos Sekeroglou
His best work. Read!
Robert Sanchez
Jan 05, 2017 Robert Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all this is the not book 1 of a series rather it's only the first half of the book. It's about 1100 pages in total each is a little over 500.

I've got to say I haven't read any Barker before this but I will be checking out more of his stuff in the future. I thouroughly enjoyed this adventure. Barker is an expert at crafting the arena for the story and building up his chracters while providing the right mix of fantasy\sex\insanity to keep things interesting. He touches on some great idea
Gabe S
Dec 30, 2014 Gabe S rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
wanted to like this after all the time I put into these two books but I just found the whole thing banal in the end, full of most of the clichés I started to read these books to avoid. original in a way I guess, Clive's a world builder extraodinaire, but I found the whole ******SPOILER ALERT ****** "men are evil and innately destructive and of course irrationally hate women and are so scared of their reproductive capabilities and capacity to love etc...- only poor, put upon goddesses and their e ...more
Coyle
Mar 24, 2012 Coyle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am exercsing my (rarely used) right not to finish a book. I've read Clive Barker before, and routinely been unimpressed. After 150 pages (which is about 80 pages more than the hundred page rule- if you don't know, that rule says you should read 100-your age of a book before deciding not to read more of it), I've decided that I don't care if I finish this 500+ page monster, especially given that this is only half of the overall story that just wouldn't fit in one paperback edition.
The place I
Marc
Dec 30, 2013 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great distinction lies within this book. As the cover so boldly states, it is a "bestseller." A bestseller appeals to the universal, to the commonality among all of us. It is a buffet with something for everyone. Herein too lies its fault. The narrative in its rush to tell, to be a bestseller, to keep moving and appeal and tantalize loses itself and in the process devalues itself. The writing seems rushed, as do the events and somethings seem to make no sense whatsoever other than they NEED to ...more
Mike
Jun 04, 2014 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
3 stars - I liked it. I loved it. BUT, somethings annoyed, enough to drop the rating to 3. The writing is VERY long winded. Every sentence that is written is done painstakingly so. And I'm not exaggerating when I say every sentence. If I read "In the fullness of time" one more time... well, I will have lost some precious seconds, that could have been recovered by simply saying, "eventually", or "all the time". That's just one example that has stuck out to me as it's one that gets repeated a few ...more
Eric
Dec 04, 2013 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far this highly imaginative story is just good enough to keep me going onto book 2. The writing is intelligent and compelling and the storyline similarly well-crafted. The novel's greatest weakness, however, is the characters. They're inconsistent, irrational and at times nearly incomprehensible in their judgment and motives. It's hard to become too thoroughly invested in a story in which the characters are not relatable. They shallowly cooperate with or contradict one another when it is conv ...more
Tara
Mar 28, 2007 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quotes

A man kills the thing he loves, and he must die a little himself.

His body and his mind went about their different businesses. The former, freed from conscious instruction, breathed, rolled, sweated, and digested. The latter went dreaming.

We’re too much ourselves. Afraid of letting go of what we are, in case we are nothing, and holding on so tight, we lose everything else.
Eric
Apr 10, 2009 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, contemporary
(This review is for the whole of Imajica , since it really is a single story.)

I liked this book tremendously. It has a very unusual take on the messiah story, and many likable characters. The language is absolutely inspired in places. It does sprawl a lot, which counts against it, but I didn't mind too much.
Ian
May 27, 2013 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a strange and intriguing tale, breaking from a lot of the standard tropes and keeping the reader guessing at what mysteries will come next. at times the line of the plot is a bit disjointed, with surprising turns in events that sometimes seem to derail established directions in the story. overall though, I think the book is excellent, with the rare, slight disturbed feeling of "wait....what?" either supplanted by or adding to the surprising twists and turns that are smoothly written.
Stevie
Feb 03, 2015 Stevie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Book one gets a solid 4. I stayed up when exhausted wanting to fine out more about these strange & fully created worlds, and I loved the link between our world and the rest. The second book dropped it to a three...still amazing on the worlds front... something about the pacing started to make it a little hard to get through. The end had some nice moments.
Strider Jones
Jul 25, 2012 Strider Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barker's poetic prose and convincing characterisation parachutes the reader into his imagination. You become part of his landscape and plot and don't desire the return to your own realm until the adventure is over. I prefer Weaveworld and The Great And Secret Show..but all are different and all unique trips into believable fantasy.
Geoffrey
Jun 10, 2013 Geoffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really had to force myself to finish this, and just barely. I did not like any of the main characters, and their motives for doing anything just seemed forced. I get that the author was going for a mystical, mind-bending reality thing here, but, it didn't work for me. Highly doubt I'll read the second half. Mayhap if I cared for the characters at all I would.
Strattondo
Jan 29, 2015 Strattondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is absolutely my favorite book of all time. I have read it twice. It, Weaveworld, and the Great and Secret Show are complex, epic journeys in worlds so complex and detailed one could read them multiple times and discover new details every time. Clive Barker is a brilliant author. Not for the fainthearted (none of his books are).
Howard Kistler
Feb 22, 2015 Howard Kistler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second only to Weaveworld in my estimation, this two-novel epic once again takes us into the vast universe of magic and horrors that populates Barker's mind. With diverse characters and worlds to explore, the drama still hinges on the human nature of the characters, something which Barker excels at balancing while still dazzling us the incredible.
Emily
Nov 28, 2007 Emily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i picked this book up at a flea market in wisconsin. last night i was trying to decide what book to read and i decided to wait on this one until after christmas b/c as i understand it, this is book is giant and daunting and time consuming but it sounds awesome.
John Jackson
Nov 27, 2013 John Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely imaginative and interesting, and the plot will hold your attention throughout. Some readers might find some of the very strange twists and turns too much to follow, but I have enjoyed it thoroughly and will rush to read the second part.
Sergio Armisén
Jul 27, 2016 Sergio Armisén rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pues otro libro de fantasía y universos paralelos, diréis. Pero este es bastante diferente. En un género que está bastante trasnochado y que tiende a lo formulaico, Clive Barker consigue tener toques de originalidad. Aviso a mojigatos: hay alguna escena "X" en el libro.
Maria
May 07, 2007 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Awesome book. I loved this one and can't wait to continue in book 2 (which I have actually already started). It's an excellent story. It took me about 90-100 pages to get into into but once I was there was no stopping me. Thanks Dave!
Benny
May 18, 2010 Benny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really good story but something that I can't explain is missing - maybe that something that keeps you interested and on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next, I'm not really sure, just can't put my finger on it... Worth reading though...
Derek Brown
Apr 17, 2014 Derek Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Clive Barker at his finest. This guy's imagination can take you literally anywhere. Exploring the boundaries between worlds, metaphysics, even love are up on his itinerary and he makes it fun to take the journey with him.
  • The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show
  • Clive Barker's Night Breed: Genesis
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: Collected Best Volume 1
  • Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror
  • Hellraiser: Collected Best II
  • The Iron Wars (The Monarchies of God, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Cat's Cradle: Witch Mark
  • The Transition of H. P. Lovecraft: The Road to Madness
  • The Night Boat
  • The Glamour
  • Floating Dragon
  • The Prince of Dreams (Seven Brothers, #2)
  • Summer of Night
  • Prime Evil: New Stories by the Masters of Modern Horror
  • Sibs
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • Cold Fire / Hideaway / The Key to Midnight
  • Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more
More about Clive Barker...

Imajica (2 books)