Witness in Death - Saksi dalam Kematian (In Death, #10)

Witness in Death - Saksi dalam Kematian (In Death #10)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  14,727 ratings  ·  394 reviews
Malam pembukaan pementasan drama Witness in Prosecution, dalam sekejap berubah dari panggung pertunjukan menjadi TKP ketika pemeran utamanya terbunuh tepat di atas panggung. Eve dan Roarke yang juga menonton drama itu dari atas balkon segera mengambil tindakan.

Kali ini Eve bukan saja bertindak sebagai detektif divisi pembunuhan melainkan juga sebagai saksi
pembunuhan yang...more
512 pages
Published July 2010 by PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published January 1st 2000)

Lisa Kay
The fabulous Marlene Dietrich in Agatha Christie’s wonderful “Witness for the Prosecution,” the play Roarke and Eve go to see.
description

★★★★★ & a Wow! & a Whoa! (This is a review of the audiobook.) Susan Ericksen narrates these characters as if she wrote them instead of J.D. Robb, she knows them that well. Her narration lets us know them better, too!

Loved this one. Adore all of them, actually, but this one was extra-extraordinary. I think it is one of the best in the series. The homage to Agatha...more
Breann

Eve & Roarke are such a wonderful couple and even though this is their tenth book, their relationship is still growing and changing. Eve really stretched herself in proving her love for Roarke. It was very sweet & endearing. Two words I never thought I'd associate with Eve. I loved it. On the flipside, Roake had an "insert foot in mouth" moment, which made this entire book worth the read.
The man does have faults! Smiley Praise Jesus! Smiley

Oh Peabody. The real star of the show. Smiley
Thank he...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

A man is murdered right before Lt. Eve Dallas’s eyes.

My favourite cop and her hunky husband Roarke go out to attend a play. Undoubtedly enjoying the fact that Roarke owns the theatre, Eve feels like she can finally relax a bit.

But when someone takes the death of a character into literal means and stabs the superstar of the show, Darco dies with a single stab through the heart.

Eve soon finds out that actors are very good liars because she is thrown this way and that way...more
İlkim
Bu yorumu Kitap Esintisi sayfasında bulabilirsiniz.

Bu kitabı aslında bir süre önce okudum, yalnız etrafımdan gelen baskılara dayanamayıp (!) yorumunu öne çektim. Şimdi kitapta Eve Dallas var, Roarke var, yazarı da Nora… Yani karakterleri övmekle zaman geçiremeyeceğim, çünkü ikisi de özellikle Roarke favorilerimden. Aşkları, aralarındaki ilişki, farklı kişilikleri, ortak geçmişleri sizi hala çekmediyse daha da çekmez zaten.

Bu kitapta Nora’nın zihnine girmeyi başardım nihayet. Öncelikle olaylardan...more
Minh
I love the In Death series. I have read book 27 and am eagerly awaiting book 28. It's the ultimate in not so great chit lit mysteries. Combined with the Nora Roberts factor (don't be fooled by the JD Robb pen name), it will never be called one of the great mystery series, but I love it.

The character development is beyond slow, and probably everything that has happened to these characters (slowly slowly) could be condensed into 2 books at most. The thing I have the most problem with though is pr...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I don't know if it's cause it's been such a long time since I read the last one in this series or what, but I loved this installment of this series! I found myself laughing in several places. I enjoyed the development of Peabody and McNab's relationship and I liked how Eve was more relatable in here. She seemed more vulnerable and she was easier to like :) I know I won't wait another 8 months before reading the next one ;)
Kjen
More Roarke and Eve re-read awesomeness! The seduction scene...omg!...no need to say more(; And then the ending: "You can't go back. Can't fix what broke. But you can go forward. And every step matters. Every one makes a difference." She cupped his face in her hands. "From where I'm standing, you're the best step I ever took." Sweeeeet!
Andree
Well, this was a not very productive use of a Sunday afternoon.

Still, I liked this one. I liked the setting. Setting it in the theatre was a nice touch.

Peabody continues to be awesome. I adore her relationship with Eve. Best part of the book is when they were arging over Charles Munroe (and Eve trying to shield Peabody from his extraordinarily tangential involvement in the case) and Munro walks into the room. They both yell "Get out!" and he takes one look at them and essentially runs. They figh...more
Catherine
I really liked the way this book started out, with Eve and Roarke out for a normal night out. As the series progresses we are seeing more and more of them in a normal couple environment, and I love it. It can’t always be about work. ;) Of course, they have the bad luck to witness a murder in the middle of their date, but the intent was still there. Eve is slowly becoming more than just the job.

Once again Robb keeps things fresh and offers up a completely different murder case for Eve. This time...more
Tina
This is the 10th book of the In Death series.

It is the last gasp of winter in Early 2059. Eve and her husband, the megalicious billionaire Roarke are at the theatre (Roarke's, natch) on opening night of a performance of Agatha Christie's A Witness for the Prosecution.. In a case of life imitating art, the actor who plays the villainous Vole is murdered, right there on stage in front of the whole crowd. The prop knife replaced by a real one.

Who wanted the handsome lead actor dead? Well as it turn...more
Elvan
I used to think this was one of my least favourite InDeaths. I've changed my mind. JD Robb shows us how the old adage of "show don 't tell" should be done. Two scenes are pure examples of this...well maybe three, the scene in the train station when Eve is hunting Kenneth Stiles, the laugh out loud ( and I did) scene where a drunken Peabody and Eve have a conversation during Peabody and McNabb's first date and finally the murderer reveal on stage where the original murder occurred. Masterful. Gre...more
Bigd_041555
Every time I read this book, I like it more if that's possible. The whole world is a stage - basically sums up this book. Lies, deceit, and more lies - gotta love thespians!

Love the scene with Eve preparing for a seductive evening with Roarke - too funny, poor girl!

Still wondering about that cone-shaped thing that tinkles - I have no idea how that works ;)

5 stars and 2 thumbs up for Witness in Death - on to Justice in Death!

Büşra
kitap harikaydı :D eve summest dialoglarına hala gülüyorum.. Eve in sonunda hurda bilgisayarında kurtulması ve onu eve getirip benzetme planları yapması ama Roarke nin bu planlara limon sıkmasına çok güldüm :D haada gülüyorum aklıma geldikçe.. :p (roarke bilgisayarı almaya çalışınca,Eve in 'olamaz ya ürerse' demesi'falan mühişti.. hele bilgisayara teknoloji dünyasının deccali! dediği yerde koptum :D)
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Still going along with the In-Death series. I keep expecting the characters to lose their appeal but they don't. Eve trying to do something special for Roarke was a good laugh. The mystery part is fairly obvious but the character development continues.

I keep thinking that I like Eve Dallas just as she is. Then she changes and grows and I like her even more.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

The Banter between Eve and Roake is fun to read. I also like Eve's self-talk. Eve is tough, smart and focused yet she also is tender-hearted, especially in how she deals with women who have been abused. Her past affects her and is brought into the front of her mind whenever her current case triggers it. In this book, the discovered incest between the victim and his daughter is a sure trigger and Eve's reaction is heart-wrenching. It is really sweet when she turns to...more
Brenda
Dec 25, 2011 Brenda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: suspense/thriller lovers
Another great Robb 'In Death' novel! This, the 10th in the series, has Lieutenant Eve Dallas, and husband Roarke, enjoying one of Agatha Christie's murder mysteries, on the stage. The theatre they are enjoying the dramatic play in, belongs to Roarke, it's opening night, the theatre is packed, and Eve is thoroughly enjoying dissecting the 'players', working out who the killer will be, while enjoying the luxury of the owner's box with Roarke!

Suddenly, as the knife is plunged into the chest of the...more
Amanda
I don't normally rate books I don't read. Yet I'd rate this a 0 star if it'd let me. I tried to read this, I really did. There were a bunch of J.D. Robb books amongst a bunch of other crime/mystery/thriller books my dad had picked up cheap and given me. I was leery, given that J.D. Robb is a pseudonym for romance writer Nora Roberts, a genre I have no interest in. But the premise sounded good - near future police procedural? Crime and sci-fi mix? Sign me up! I couldn't force myself past the firs...more
Kerry
It's not just this book that is the fault of my dealer, it is the whole series. She conned me into reading Naked in Death last year and here I am devouring book #11. I heard that Nora Roberts (who writes this futuristic detective series under the pseudonym J. D. Robb) was once asked why she is still writing this long series when usually she doesn't like long series. Her reply was that she simply liked visiting with Eve and Roarke. I couldn't agree more; I too love checking in to see what they ar...more
Olivia ツ
Another Eve Dallas layer revealed! I used to find her a bit irritating but now I realize all that cold exterior is just a front. Eve is still a wounded little girl and in her new home with Roarke and friends she's flourishing.

The best characters by far are Peabody and McNab. Those two crack me up!!

Note on the audio: I highly recommend listening to these. Susan Ericksen does a superb job of bringing these books to life.
Sandra
What better way to commit murder than in front of 3,000 people? Not a good idea when one of those people is Lt Eve Dallas of NYPSD Homicide.

Not a good idea to off the head prop guy when he tries his hand at blackmail, the pool of suspects is getting smaller.

But it is harder when everyone hated the victim and most don't hesitate to tell Eve what brilliant scum he was. It comes down to who hated him the most. And a most horrifying motive for the crime.

Peabody and McNab finally start getting toget...more
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
Another good addition to the series. I have to say that Eve's "seduction" of Roarke was one of the best love scenes out of the series so far. I loved seeing Eve openly return her feelings for Roarke. The whole scene was great. From the moment Eve started getting frustrated with the millions of dinnerware to choose from, to the moment where Roarke peeled the red dress off her....for the second time. Eve took a big step with Roarke and recognized her true feelings for the man she loves in this boo...more
Crazy4more
5 stars, a definite must read.

The crime, 5 star. It was so well planned, written and executed...pun intended. All the characters were so juicy and relevant.

Roarke, Eve & company, 5 stars. I went thru so many emotions. Found myself cracked up too many times to count. Then of course the excitement, suspense and the tears were not far behind.

I live vicariously thru Eve. Reflecting strength, surviving, compassion, honesty, etc. Thru Roarke, I get to live out my fantasy. What a couple!
Kathleen Dixon
This one is set in an Agatha Christie murder-mystery. Eve and Roarke are at opening night, it's a courtroom drama, and at the end of the play the nasty, manipulative lead man is suddenly and unexpectedly killed. Aha!
We also have musings on the nature of motherhood, which of course is a hurtful subject for both Eve and Roarke.
There's a nice quote on the last page:
'You can't go back. Can't fix what broke. But you can go forward. And every step matters. Every one makes a difference.'
KarenF
Another solid outing for Eve, Roarke and company. I try to put some space in between reading each book because they are a bit formulaic. But I don't really have a problem with formulas when they work. And the In Death series works for me as long as there's some space between reads. This one was fun with all the Agatha Christie references and I loved Eve trying to put together her special dinner for Roarke. I wouldn't know how to pick out the right china with the right crystal either!
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
Actually this installment in the "In Death" series gets a 6+ star rating from me.

I honestly loved every single page in this book.

The crime itself was very well thought out. I personally love Witness for the Prosecution(the movie) so the fact that the crime originates from a play based on the movie/book had me right from the start. Even at the very beginning when Eve is in the audience guessing who the murderer is. I think I may have read this years ago but I have the urge now to read it again....more
Mary:   Harry Dresden's Love Slave
These are just OK for me. They're entertaining but I would never pay money for them. Good to get on audio from the library once in a while. I just feel like each book is a little too much like the others. Eve has traumatic flashbacks and nightmares about her childhood. She has trouble relating to other people. Roark owns everything. Roark interferes with her case. She gets mad at him and they have sex.

Mildly entertaining but nothing I'd pay money to read.
~Megan~
Another fantastic installment! Eve was much improved in this book over the last. It was nice to see her put some effort into her relationship with Roarke...he deserves it! I don't know why, but I like Eve more when she goes through some kind of trauma...it just makes her seem more human.

I'm still loving Peabody and McNab and the whole cast.

I want to move onto the next one now, but must wait as I have it down for my January challenges.
Weena
This has to be one of my favorite series of all time. Each book does well on it's own, but as a series they astound. I loved that in this one we get to see more of the personal side of Peabody. I love how she and Eve interact with each other, as well. There were quite a few funny moments, and I actually laughed out loud at least twice. Eve Dallas is such an awesome character, with her sassy wit, strong sense of justice, and fierce determination.
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
This was a GREAT installment of the series... Dallas trying to be romantic? One of the funniest things I've listened to... this was really just SUCH a good book- I really hope they all are like this.

I feel I need to specify, while I do think this is one of the better books in the series, this does not mean it can be read as a stand-alone book. It's the characters building and growing throughout the series that provide the understanding to 'get' the humor and such. I also liked the 'nods' to Aga...more
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Witness In Death (Feb. 2014) SPOILER ZONE 78 37 May 03, 2014 12:35AM
Readers of Kindle...: Witness in Death #10 2 9 Feb 16, 2012 08:24AM
  • Hot Rocks
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline....more
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“I hate patience. Slows everything down.” 75 likes
“Today," she told it, "death comes to all your circuits. Will it be slow and systematic or fast and brutal?" Considering, she circled it, "Tough decision. I've waited so long for this moment. Dreamed of it."

Showing her teeth, she began to roll up her sleeves.

"What," Roarke asked from the doorway that connected their work areas, "is that?"

"The former bane of my existence. The Antichrist of technology. Do we have a hammer?"

Studying the pile on the floor, he walked in. "Several, I imagine, of various types."

"I want all of them. Tiny little hammers, big, wallbangers, and everything in between."

"Might one ask why?"

"I'm going to beat this thing apart, byte by byte, until there's nothing left but dust from the last trembling chip."

"Hmmm." Roarke crouched down, examined the pitifully out-of-date system. "When did you haul this mess in here?"

"Just now. I had it in the car. Maybe I should use acid, just stand here and watch it hiss and dissolve. That could be good."

Saying nothing, Roarke took a small case out of his pocket, opened it, and chose a slim tool. With a few deft moves, he had the housing open.

"Hey! Hey! What're you doing?"

"I haven't seen anything like this in a decade. Fascinating. Look at this corrosion. Christ, this is a SOC chip system. And it's cross-wired."

When he began to fiddle, she rushed over and slapped at his hands. "Mine. I get to kill it."

"Get a grip on yourself," he said absently and delved deeper into the guts. "I'll take this into research."

"No. Uh-uh. I have to bust it apart. What if it breeds?”
55 likes