Start by marking “Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong” as Want to Read:
Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong

Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong

The simple secrets to growing your curls healthy and long. Tightly curly hair isn't like any other type of hair, and it needs totally different care to make it happy. Do you spend countless hours--and untold dollars--on weaves, perms, salon visits, and products that promise to change, heal, or make your hair more manageable, only to end up even more frustrated? Do you wres ...more
Published April 15th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Curly Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curly Like Me

Victoria
Dec 05, 2010 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I normally don't write reviews but this is a great book. As a mixed race girl who has had a lifetime of troubles figuring out her hair I can say without exaggerating that this is a must have for anyone with really curly hair. I wish I had had this book in middle/high school. It would have made my life a lot easier :). If you know anyone with curly hair who is having trouble dealing with it (or if you are having problems yourself) you should get this book for them. Highly recommended.
Nita
Sep 11, 2012 Nita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for any person with naturally curly hair. Although her tips are mostly suited to African-American type hair, there's quite a bit of useful info for those of us with looser curls. She confirmed my long-held suspicions of the hair industry's view on curly hair- Simply that most salons, products, ads, and companies know little to nothing of curl care. I laughed when she explained how ridiculous a dime-sized drop of conditioner is listed in the directions on most products. U ...more
Jan 21, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for curly headed girls.
Ana Mardoll
Feb 18, 2011 Ana Mardoll rated it really liked it
Shelves: ana-reviewed
Curly Like Me / 978-0-47058-614-3

I always thought I had "very" curly hair, simply because that's what everyone said to me growing up. Thanks to Teri's book, however, I realize that the straight-haired people around me were working from small reference pools - my hair *is* curly, but it's not "very" curly like Teri's, whose hair forms such tight ringlets that a pencil can barely fit through them.

I enjoyed this read immensely - the author spends a great deal of time explaining the biology of curly
Azzah Nasraddin
Dec 27, 2013 Azzah Nasraddin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't write reviews but I was skimming books in the library one day and came across this gem. I am Sudanese (of east African) descent and had no idea how to take care of my naturally curly hair. I would brush it constantly and have to trim it on a regular basis because it was so damaged.It was poofy, annoying, and I struggled with my hair for a long time. I decided to try and use the methods in this book to learn how to better take care of my hair. I have saved time, money and my hair ...more
Deirdrie
Nov 02, 2011 Deirdrie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If your articles and book existed when I grew my perm out as a teen, I would've known not to comb/brush my curls out after shampooing. Until I was almost 14 my hair was very long, full and relaxer-straight. I wish my parents had a book such as this before I got my first perm at age 4. They could've spared me the big hair-altering mistake I made, at age 25, when I got a chemical wave to appear more "Black" (lol... 'sounds ridiculous now when I reminisce about it).

Your book is on my list to read,
Loli Peralta
Mar 27, 2014 Loli Peralta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book for women with curly hair, easy to read and very accurate. I recommend it.
Nadine
Jan 13, 2017 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
3.5 because i've been trying her method on my hair & it just doesn't seem to be working, sadly. was hoping to finally find a simple wash and go routine that works on my hair but there's literally NOTHING that does it, unless i go to the salon.

*EDIT*

okay i did a modified version & my hair LOVES this, it definitely makes my hair soft & moisturized once i put oil before i apply the conditioner though. & only put enough conditioner that my hair needs which is what i wasn't doing yest
Tia
I love this book. It is not hype and my sister has been doing this for years, lol. I've always tried to wear my hair naturally but it would always puff out. Now, I'm relaxer free and loving it. The freedom of not worrying about getting my hair wet is more than I could ever explain. Plus, I don't have burns on my hairline and in my scalp from relaxers anymore. The information about products is a good enough reason to purchase this book. Who knew it would take almost 30 years for me to be FREE!! T ...more
Staci
Mar 26, 2012 Staci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite what LaFlesh repeatedly says in the book, her method does not work for all those with tightly curly hair; it is ironic that she would claim this since she relates at least once in the story about something that works for her mother's hair not working for her own. That having been said, her routine and tips are worth trying although, be warned, they do require a bit of a time commitment whenever one does their hair.
Joann
Mar 29, 2015 Joann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I've been doing so much wrong things to my wavy hair for so long. Even my mom didn't know how to fix my hair! I noticed the difference in my hair after doing what the author said to do with your wavy/curly hair. My hair's very wavy and has a big volume!!! Thanks so much for helping me out with my crazy afro!!!!
Coralee
Feb 28, 2013 Coralee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book is thorough. I appreciate the fact that the author has done SO much research and put SO much thought into how to take care of curly hair. I also appreciate the fact that my hair is NOWHERE near as curly as hers! Still, there were a lot of good pointers in here for anyone with curly hair.
Shaun
Jul 06, 2010 Shaun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for people with curly hair and want to go au naturale. I found this book to be extremely useful and has plenty of handy tips regarding curly natural hair care and how to grow it out properly. If I would have had this book back in my teens it would have changed my life!
Shaunell
Great resource for curly/natural hair women. I especially liked the fact that she told HER story along with the scientific facts presented. Women who have chemically altered their hair for most of their lives and want to go natural will definitely be able to relate.
Cy
kink and curl affirmations abound! this isn't only a kinky/curly/nappy hair guide; it's a book that helps to alter the willing mind's thinking towards working with beautiful textures rather than a lifelong war with the self.
Demetria
Jun 03, 2010 Demetria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for curly haired girls! This book is filled with helpful information about hair product ingredients, tools, DIY hair styles for curly hair and suggestions for clips and combs. I'd recommend it to any curly girl looking for better ways to take care of her hair on her own.
Kai Tucker
Dec 31, 2015 Kai Tucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It reinforced a few things I learned in other books. I would highly recommend for anyone who is starting from zero info about curly hair, as well as to someone who is well versed but may want to hear a new perspective. The author is very personable and real.
Christel
May 10, 2010 Christel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I edited this book, so yes, I may have a bit of a bias on this one. However, the author has an amazing story and some of the best tips for curly hair out there. This is a book about learning to love as well as enhance your naturally curly hair.
Jerrika
Repetitive at times, but overall a good and well researched book about a cheap way to maintain healthy curly/kinky hair
Book Noir (Erica)
Nov 15, 2013 Book Noir (Erica) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna Demchenko
Anna Demchenko rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2015
Joye S. Boice
Joye S. Boice rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Chungii
Chungii rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2013
Diamond Sanabria
Diamond Sanabria rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Dominique
Dominique rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Ashleigh
Ashleigh rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Tasha
Tasha rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
Coletta Renee
Coletta Renee rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2014
Sabina
Sabina rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Kamilah
Jul 11, 2014 Kamilah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book that changed my world view on how to handle and care for curly hair.
Rae Coleman
Jun 03, 2013 Rae Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So happy to have discovered this! This has changed how I do my hair & I love it!
Stephanie
Oct 21, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written, friendly guide to hair care for truly curly hair.
NeonSeon NeonSeon
NeonSeon NeonSeon rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2010
Tamika
Tamika marked it as to-read
May 07, 2010
Yolo
Yolo marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2010
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2010
Lutca
Lutca rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2010
Regina Hunter
Regina Hunter marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2010
Tia
Tia rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2010
Stacey B.
Stacey B. marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2010
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2010
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2010
Oceandreamer001
Oceandreamer001 rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2010
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 16, 2011
Dennique
Dennique marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2011
Camilla
Camilla rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2011
EeeJay
EeeJay rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
EeeJay
EeeJay rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2011
Leah Turner
Leah Turner rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2011
Melinda Johnson
Melinda Johnson rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Shameka
Shameka rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Healer
Healer rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care
  • Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time
  • If You Love It, It Will Grow: A Guide To Healthy, Beautiful Natural Hair
  • Curly Girl
  • What Are You?: Voices of Mixed-Race Young People
  • Cabin Pressure 2 (Cabin Pressure, #2)
  • Miss Manners' Basic Training: The Right Thing to Say
  • The Golden Cage: Three Brothers, Three Choices, One Destiny
  • The Progress of Sherlock Holmes
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair!
  • His Road Home
  • The Wind in the Reeds
  • Thank God I'm Natural: The Ultimate Guide to Caring for and Maintaining Natural Hair
  • The Original Beauty Bible: Skin Care Facts for Ageless Beauty
  • Grumpy Cat: A Grumpy Book
  • City in Ruins (Scribes of Medeisia, #4)
  • Fire & Frost (Iron Seas, #3.4; Code of Shadows, #0.5; Midnight Liaisons #2.3)