Start by marking “The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus: A Roman Slave” as Want to Read:
The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus: A Roman Slave

The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus: A Roman Slave

This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kessinger ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 150)

To ask other readers questions about The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moral Sayings of Publius Syrus

Renée Paule
Jan 14, 2016 Renée Paule rated it it was amazing
Wow ... applies now and always will.

Olivier Goetgeluck
Jul 16, 2014 Olivier Goetgeluck rated it really liked it
WOULD YOU HAVE A GREAT EMPIRE? RULE OVER YOURSELF!

"Adversity shows whether we have friends, or only the shadows of friends."

"Human reason grows rich by self-conquest."

"Conquest over one's self, in the hour of victory, is a double triumph."

"Consult your conscience, rather than public opinion."

"The gain acquired at the expense of reputation, should be counted a loss."

"Wisdom is required by meditation."

"Reflect on everything you hear, by believe only on proof."

"Pleasant is the remembrance of the il
Suhrob
Nov 29, 2014 Suhrob rated it really liked it
Damned stoics and their timeless wisdom. Do you have to rub it into our faces that we didn't really learn anything in 2000 years? (nothing apparently, except for lightning rods... check mate Syrus!*)

*: 835. It is vain to look for a defense against lightning.

Sleepless
Apr 27, 2015 Sleepless rated it it was amazing
More like 4.5 but I'll round up.

I'm often angry at the lack of justice in time. This is one of those times. Publius Syrus seems like such a just, decent, human being. Our times are not giving him the attention that he deserves. If I hadn't have stumbled on a list of unknown books, I wouldn't have heard about this, and that's a real pity.

I feel like more people should read this. It has some sayings that are pretty obvious and old fashioned (obviously,and still, I don't enjoy sexism) but some sa
Sean Leas
Apr 19, 2014 Sean Leas rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
With a brief introduction to Publilus Syrus, this book as its title infers is a collection of thoughts, quotes, and sayings. I enjoyed this book, however I ended up reading a horrendous e-book version that obviously went straight from the scanner to the Internet. That being said I will not hold that against this book, it’s well worth the read. A few of my more favorite Publilius sayings:

“The stolen ox sometimes puts his head out of the stall.”

“It is better to learn late than never.” (A saying
Jan
Dit is een heerlijk boekje om cadeau te krijgen, zoals het mij gebeurde. De schenkende collega heeft het over mijn eigen wijsheid; ik heb mij aangematigd een spatie in dat woord te laten vallen.
De inhoud van het boekje is nooit clichématig. Een cliché is op zichzelf mijns inziens altijd waardig, namelijk een bevestiging van iets wat herkend wordt als iets wat veel voorkomt. De waarden vertonen inderdaad, zoals de vertaler in zijn inleiding opmerkt, symptomen van de voor-Christelijke periode. Daa
Tyj-Orion
Dec 02, 2015 Tyj-Orion rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Невероятно добра книга със запазените сентенции на Публилий Сир от Антиохия - роб от сирийски произход, който с таланта си и остроумието си е успял не само да спечели свободата си, но и да се издигне.

Много размисли събуди в мен тази книга. За древноримското общество. За това, че няма никаква, ама никаква промяна в хората за 2000 години. Все същите недостатъци, все същите ценности, същите страхове и болки. За огромната крачка назад в Мрака, наречена християнство.
Akshit
Jul 02, 2016 Akshit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcopies
This book is a list of moral sayings from Publilius Syrus. Nothing more to it except a little summary about his life that is present in the beginning of the book. The rating is more for the extremely apt nature of those sayings which stand true till date and i'm sure will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.
John
Aug 22, 2016 John marked it as to-read
Jacopo
Jan 01, 2014 Jacopo rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Corposa raccolta di aforismi scritti da Publilio Siro, fornisce senza dubbio molto materiale su cui pensare. Mi ha colpito spesso il modo in cui l'autore riesce ad utilizzare sapientemente la forma metaforica per trasmettere i concetti in modo più diretto ed efficace.
Isabel Salas
Dec 20, 2014 Isabel Salas rated it it was amazing
I found interesting how we could still apply this book to today's society, we need more people who live under these principles... good advices in a few words.
Talita Kloppers
Talita Kloppers rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Nikola Markov
Nikola Markov rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Mark Prohaska
Mark Prohaska rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Badreddin Edris
Badreddin Edris rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2014
Ahmad Mohammadnezhad
Ahmad Mohammadnezhad rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Jahid Shajib
Jahid Shajib rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Ella Patricia
Ella Patricia rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Andrewforever
Andrewforever rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Jacob Paul
Jacob Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Juan Campos
Ancient wisdom at its best. 5 stars.
Efren
Efren rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Nightocelot
Nightocelot rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Borja Madrid
Borja Madrid rated it did not like it
Feb 11, 2015
Ida Aasebøstøl
Ida Aasebøstøl rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2014
Paul James
Paul James rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Essential Epicurus
  • Why Don't We Learn from History?
  • My Life And Battles
  • The Education of Cyrus
  • Forty Years a Gambler on the Mississippi
  • Letters from a Self-Made Merchant to His Son
  • The Measure of My Days
  • Musonius Rufus: Lectures and Sayings
  • Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger
  • Philosophy As a Way of Life: Spiritual Exercises from Socrates to Foucault
  • On the rock : twenty-five years in Alcatraz : the prison story of Alvin Karpis as told to Robert Livesey
  • The Man Without A Country