Start by marking “Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1)

Beastly (Kendra Chronicles #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  152,656 Ratings  ·  8,393 Reviews
Kyle Kingsbury ist eine Bestie, die nachts durch New York streift - ein hässliches Monstrum. Doch Kyle war nicht immer so. Er war mal ein Junge, mit dem jeder andere gerne getauscht hätte, ein gutaussehender, reicher und bei vielen Mädchen beliebter Kerl. Doch er war auch arrogant, eingebildet und überheblich. Zur Strafe wurde er dazu verflucht, dieses grässliche Biest zu ...more
Published July 27th 2010 by Baumhaus (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beastly, please sign up.

Riza Mae I've read Beastly and Bewitching and yes, they're connected in terms of the character Kendra,but no, you don't have to read one to understand the…moreI've read Beastly and Bewitching and yes, they're connected in terms of the character Kendra,but no, you don't have to read one to understand the other because all of them are different stories just narrated and being connected by the witch Kendra...:) (hope that helps)(less)

Cara
Jan 13, 2011 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romanitcs
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
So this book has been around for awhile and my sister actually had read it when it first came out and when I asked her how she liked it she said, "It was interesting but kind of cheesy with the internal dialogue. It was eh." But then I saw the movie trailer so of course I had to read the book and see what the deal was. This always happen to me, I think, It's going to be made into a movie? Oh I gotta read that. Then I whip my head around and see I do the same thing like everyone else! Final verd ...more
Maddie
Jun 09, 2016 Maddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: na, pnr, favorite, movies
Britney and the Beast ♥ :D

Enjoy -- Thanks P and Sorry I just had to do this :D *wink*

description
ORIGINAL Trailer :D sorry guys but the first video is amazing and I had to share!!

Beastly - Official Trailer! :D
Pixie Lott - Boys and Girls
On the radio-Beastly- Kyle and Lindy

Natalia Kills - Wonderland
Wendy Darling
It's hard to feel interest in characters who are so shallow and dull. An interesting concept, but a book lacking in any real depth or beauty or emotion.
Bookwatcher
Kyle Kingsbury is rich, tall, blond, perfect .... and a spoiled teenager that take pleasure breaking young girls hearts. Really a awful person that deserve a witch lesson about inside beauty.

Well... books exist to this motive... take us to charming and delight worlds helping us to forget the real world we live... place that acclaim anorexic models (that look like dead womans walking) as feminine beauty to follow.

No place to moral lesson, so going on with my review, I may say that this book (as
Etnik
description

You know those rare special times when the movie is better n the book? JACKPOT! This is one.To be honest the movie is way way better than this.

description

Yeah love may never be ugly,but for sure this book is.

As much as I want to talk about how slow this book is and how incredibly boring and how you can't stand it,I don't want to spoil anything.

*"CHEESY"*

My advice to you is :
"WATCH THE MOVIE"

Mario
Mar 09, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. It might even be my favorite fairy tale retelling that I've read so far.
Kristy
Oct 11, 2010 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I am very, VERY relieved that I enjoyed this. I was beginning to wonder if I just didn't like Fairy Tale Re-tellings, but this one pulled me out of the slump!
I am so glad that Alex Flinn stuck with the "Beauty and the Beast" story... She made it modern, but didn't change the BIG details.

Our Beast, Kyle is a high schooler, a very rich, very good looking (as he describes himself, so obviously he's totally modest right?!?!?) one. He values looks and money over everything. He can't even look a
Jamie
Feb 28, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Beauty and the Beast' has always been a favorite fairy tale for me. Therefore reading this had me quite exciting. I had already seen the movie and enjoyed it and I was pleasantly surprised when I learned about the book.

This retelling takes place in a more modern day world, and starts with our "Beast" - Kyle. A rich, spoiled, popular pretty-boy who seems to have it all. When he plays a prank on the wrong girl he is cursed into a beast and we quickly learn this guy had nothing. He is moved to a
Cait (Paper Fury)
Oh, help. This book did not work for me at all.I think books really run risks when they a) retell a fairy tale without a speck of imagination from the original, and b) pop onto a very tall platform and start to preach. Seriously: SO PREACHY. All about how beauty is on the inside, blah blah. And yet shallow. And...um...sent a really awful message.

Like, I could be wrong, but by the end of the book EVERYONE got "fixed". So in order to have a good life, you have to be cured and perfect and good loo
Exina
Apr 26, 2012 Exina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Magic. It was magic, and the magic is called love.”

Beastly is a heartwarming, wonderful retelling of Beauty and the Beast. It is a very delightful read, with the chat sessions, the modern-day setting, the wide range of emotions, lots of references to classics, and tons of roses. It is just perfect. I expected a fairy tale retold, and I’m not disappointed.

The story deals with important issues, such as inner values over appearance, abandoned children, parent-child relationships, friendship, e
Marija
One of my favorite fairytales as a child was Beauty and the Beast. I liked the Disney cartoon, loved the wonderful creepiness of Jean Cocteau’s La belle et la bête, yet my absolute favorite version of the tale was Marianna Meyer’s Beauty and the Beast with Mercer Mayer’s great illustrations. When I picked up Beastly, I was looking forward to reading a modern retelling of the story. However, as I finished it, I was ultimately disappointed.

The book starts off well enough. Kyle Kingsbury’s the Adon

...Love is never ugly...

***Movie Poster***

[image error]

Book Review

I've been curious to read this ever since I've watched the new movie trailer of this book which will stars Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens, and that would be showing on March 2011. I love Alex Pettyfer and I really wanted to read the book first so I'll have an idea what will be going on when I'm gonna watch the film.

The reason that I gave it 3 stars is because I have
Yin Chien 인첸
Dec 06, 2010 Yin Chien 인첸 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a charming retelling of the story of Beauty and the Beast. The author added some twists and turns to make the story differ from the original version. And this is what that makes it an enjoyable book.

Kyle Kingsbury is the son of a famous and wealthy newsman, and he also has what it takes to make girls swoon over him - good looks. His life is perfect, yet deep inside, he isn't. When he plays an evil trick on a fat, ugly girl named Kendra, he is cursed to become what he really is - a b
Arlene
Jan 24, 2010 Arlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Hannahr
Beastly by Alex Flinn is a creative, modern telling of the fairy tale Beauty and the Beast. In this book, Flinn develops a twist to the story by narrating the events from the Beast’s perspective but in a current day setting. I was rather pleased with the book in many regards, and I’m looking forward to seeing this book translated to screen ((not just for obvious reasons... ahem...ahem... Prettyface)) but I think there’s an opportunity to see a few themes pulled from Beastly, so I’m curious to se ...more
Fiona
Oh my heart just melted into a gooey mozzarella cheese... ❤

description

"That's what true love should be like - the person should be a part of your soul and you should know what they're feeling all the time."

Beastly is a fun, quick, enjoyable re-telling of the popular fairytale; Beauty and the Beast.
Well written, with great characters and a great plot, I finished the book in one sitting and went out to recommend it to anyone who'll listen a second after.

The first thing that attracted me to the book was t
Lina
Aug 25, 2010 Lina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Beauty and the Beast
Since before I was old enough to talk, Disney's Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorite movies of all time. When other girls idolized real life celebrities, I idolized Belle. She was beautiful, independent and, most of all, smart. As I grew up, I learnt more about the origins of the story, I became intrigued. [For those unaware, the original story of Beauty and the Beast was to teach young women to be open to arranged marriages.] As it is a classic, there are multiple versions of the story a ...more
Anne
Apr 21, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a retelling of the Beauty & the Beast from the Beast's point of view.

It's set in modern times in NYC.
The beast is Kyle Kingsbury, a spoiled, selfish, narcissistic, extremely good-looking teen who gets away with much with only his winning smile.
After a cruel joke on a homely, overweight classmate, a witch turns him into the beast.

He has 2 years to find someone who will truly love him as he is, and whom he must also love.
When she kisses him, the curse is lifted.
But if he fails to find
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 Tatiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, ya
I enjoyed this new take on Beauty and the Beast. It was definitely an easy read, I finished this 300-page book within about 3 hours. The message about inside and outside beauty is a good one for young teens. I don't really think this book would have been very interesting for older teens, 10-13 year-olds is a target audience.

Having said that, this was an uneven book. It started very strong, but fizzled a little by the end. It just became a bit too simplistic and cheesy and the lessons learned in
Kimberley doruyter
it was better then the movie, truer to the original story.
Terry
Aug 06, 2008 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I was tired and feeling a little raw when I read this in one four-hour sitting, but that isn't the only reason I got a catch in my throat and a drop in my eye. It follows the fairy tale closely, and I still was taken in by this story. This might be a love story that male readers can stomach, even enjoy. Could the female character have been more richly developed? Sure. Could either of the fathers in the book have been more fully-formed? You bet. But I think this is a good story, well told ...more
Kc
Feb 12, 2011 Kc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blah is the word to describe this novel.
Blah, blah, blah, and more blahs.
I got it because I want to see the movie, I'll admit it. And I hope it's a whole lot better than this book.
It's a remake, modern-take on Beauty and the Beast. From the beast's point-of-view. I don't know, maybe some people enjoy reading a book that is kind of a silly take on themes that could be a bit more serious. Personally, I couldn't finish this because it was very boring, and the characters seemed lacking, stereotypica
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
A modern Beauty & the Beast, this story has it all - romance, angst, realism, humour & action. I loved every moment of it.

Honestly, I learned about Beastly through the news that Alex Pettyfer was going to play the main hero in the movie adaptation, but it was the fact that the plot was based on my favourite fairytale that made me eager to read it. I was a little cautious about starting it, but once I began, there was no stopping.

Beastly is a modern rendition of a man without kindness cha
Iliana Simeonova
Jul 13, 2016 Iliana Simeonova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Книгата е един съвременен преразказ на една от любимите ми приказки, а именно "Красавица и звярът". Тази приказка ми е любимата, защото тя разказва, че външната красота не е важна, вътрешното ни аз е значимото, а и да не забравяме и факта, че Бел обича книгите.
Зареди това книгата ми хареса, защото разказва една от любимите ми детски приказки, по един съвременен, забавен и лек начин. Неусетно приключих книгата и останах с желанието най-после да изгледам филма по книгата. Който за сведение в моме
Hannah
Jan 12, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hannah by: Hanneybean
Shelves: ya, 2010-reads
Beastly started slow, but as the story progressed, picked up speed and ended with a satisfying conclusion. The character of Kyle Kingsbury (aka the Beast) developed gradually and realistically.

I didn't know if I'd enjoy this YA book at first, (due to the noted slow start), but by 1/4 of the way in, I was invested and looked forward to seeing how author Flinn would bring the classic fairy tale to it's end within the modern setting.

There is some profanity, and some suggestive dialog, but nothing h
Tiff
I truly enjoyed this book - which is no surprise considering my soft spot for fairy tales! I love a good fractured fairy tale, and this was no exception. The character development was wonderful. At the beginning of the story, I truly hated the main character and felt he definitely deserved to be turned into a beast! But I did change my feelings as his actions and thoughts took a turn for the better.

I highly recommend this modern day version of 'Beauty and the Beast.'
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
$1.99 on Amazon: August 9, 2016.

YA Beauty and the Beast re-telling.
Kristi
Jul 13, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beastly is an updated and contemporary twist on the well-known fairy tale, Beauty and the Beast. Instead of a prince and a castle, we have Kyle Kingsbury and his brownstone in Brooklyn. Kyle is a very good looking high school freshman, and of course he is spoiled rotten and is the biggest JERK alive. Thus, a witch turns him into the true beast that he is. And we all know that the spell can only be broken with true love’s first kiss! But who could learn to love a beast?

One of the things I liked a
Nikoleta
Feb 11, 2013 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Ένα βιβλίο για τη μοναξιά που βιώνουμε, όχι εξαιτίας της μοίρας ή των βίαιων εξωτερικών παραγόντων αλλά εξαιτίας της αδυναμίας να δούμε πέρα από το εμφανές κ της αδιαφορίας να επικοινωνήσουμε με κάποιον άλλον ουσιαστικά εκτός από τον εαυτό μας. Περιγράφεται υπέροχα η αίσθηση εγκλεισμού των πρωταγωνιστών, με γλαφυρότητα κ έντονα χρώματα κ ιδιαίτερα μέσα από το περιβάλλον το οποίο έχει στηθεί. Ενδιαφέρον είναι το στιγμιότυπο που ο ήρωας βιώνει πιο πολύ μόνος περιπλανώμενος σε μια από τις πολυπληθέ ...more
~Tina~
Mar 25, 2010 ~Tina~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Beastly was probably one of the best fairy-tale retelling that I ever read. I loved how much detail was included from the original version, but also had it's own uniqueness added to it. The internet chats were to cute and I just thought this was incredible sweet and touching read.
I've had this on my shelf forever and took it out when I realized that it's now in movies, I can already tell it's not the book, but still, I look forward to seeing the differences.
All in all, Beastly was a very well do
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
I started out actually enjoying this book. After reading Of Beast and Beauty, I was on a fairy tale retelling kick I guess. I probably should have quit while I was ahead.

Anywhoo, Beastly brings us this fairy tale remix set in NYC revolving around our douchenozzle soon-to-be beast, Kyle.

photo tumblr_mn5kjiC6gr1rndgy3o1_400_zps09c17e92.gif
totally gratuitous gif

Kyle is drop dead gorgeous, arrogant, narcissistic, treats other people like shit under his shoe, and pretty much I hated his guts.

photo tumblr_mlbdd0XCHn1r419xuo1_500_zps36048e93.gif

Wait, what was I saying? Oh, yes. So anyway, Kyle is a
Future Teachers, ...: Beastly (Book Review #6) 1 1 Nov 07, 2016 07:14PM
Future Teachers, ...: Review 5 1 1 Nov 04, 2016 08:57PM
Future Teachers, ...: Katherine Wilson Review #2 1 4 Sep 30, 2016 03:43PM
The Storyworld Project Discussion 12 9 Feb 04, 2016 06:00AM
  • Spirited:  A Retelling of The Last of the Mohicans and Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon A Time, #7)
  • The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin (Once Upon a Time, #13)
  • Belle: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast (Once Upon a Time, #14)
  • Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings, #2)
  • Jekel Loves Hyde
  • Scarlet Moon: A Retelling of Little Red Riding Hood (Once Upon A Time, #5)
  • Snow: A Retelling of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Once Upon A Time, #3)
  • Red Riding Hood
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • Wicked Jealous
  • The Rumpelstiltskin Problem
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess, #1)
  • Saving Juliet
NOTE: If you would like to contact me, please visit my Facebook, Twitter, or website or e-mail me (alixwrites@aol.com), but DO NOT MESSAGE ME THROUGH GOODREADS. While I have a bio on Goodreads as a service to my readers, I do not visit Goodreads on a regular basis. Like literally twice a year.

Okay, bio.

I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced m
More about Alex Flinn...

Kendra Chronicles (4 books)
  • Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles, #2)
  • Mirrored (Kendra Chronicles, #3)
  • Beheld (The Kendra Chronicles, #4)

20 trivia questions
11 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Just because something is beautiful doesn´t mean it´s good.” 941 likes
“those who do not know how to see the precious things in life will never be happy.” 587 likes