Adelaide Piper

Adelaide Piper

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  24 reviews
With humor and a nice southern accent a fine follow-up to her highly praised first novel, "Grace at Love Tide." "Booklist," starred review

The year is 1989 and dark currents lurk beneath the smooth surface of the elite Virginia campus where Adelaide Piper has come to study. Her poetic sensibility and idealism only irritate the socialites and cynics who notice her at all.

Aft...more
Published July 11th 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

ShareStories
"Adelaide Piper" by Beth Webb Hart is the coming of age story of a young woman. We see her intense wish to leave her small southern town and follow her to college where her idealism is shattered by the "Lord of the Flies" atmosphere--not at all what she expected it to be.

Even her acceptance of Christianity doesn't take root very deeply as various tragedies of life begin to overwhelm.

This is a book that, in spite of its inclusion in the "inspiration" genre, does not candy coat the reality of li...more
Brooke Devarennes
Adelaide Piper by Beth Webb Hart
Genre: Realistic Fiction

In my opinion, Adelaide Piper is an astounding piece of southern realistic fiction. Beth Webb Hart masters so many crafts of writing; from the small important details, when she describes the setting and characters, to the poetic voice of her sensible and optimistic character Adelaide. I think Hart uses the craft of setting well because she includes vivid details when describing the Williamstown, Virginia southern culture surrounding the sto...more
Lisa
I loved Grace at Low Tide, but this book needed a better editor. The premise was promising, but it needed to end much sooner than it did. The drudgery of those last pages made it a chore to finish.
Janice Palko
The book started a bit slow and I was a bit put off by the main characters high opinion of herself, but as the book went on, it became more complex and interesting. It used to be that great literature took on spiritual aspects of a character's life, but modern fiction tends to ignore that aspect. I was surprised by how well the author handled very controversial subjects with such realism and honesty. I would have liked a different ending, but all in all it was a great story and I will recommend...more
Cindy
There was a lot going on in this book... in fact, too much in my opinion. At first, I was on board and rooting for the main character, Adelaide Piper. I wanted this unpopular, academic girl to get out of small-town South Carolina and find herself during college in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. And, though she is a victim of a crime on campus that changes her life, I just couldn't get past the novel's sudden focus on being born again. That, coupled with her relationship with her second co...more
Bambi
I really liked this book. In fact I liked it so much that I emailed the author to let her know and she was kind enough to respond with a gracious thanks.

This is a great coming of age story with a lot of Southern charm. Being from the South, I found all the little references familiar and I could really relate to the character of Adelaide, this little Southern Belle fighting to get out of the South and start living a "real" life somewhere far, far away. If you like Southern fiction with a little b...more
Ann Miller
Southern fiction's drawl can sometimes gloss over the rough edges of life, but Beth Webb Hart's writing plunges straight to the grit and bone of life. With her slow, gentle voice, she guides the reader into the not-pretty--daddy with one arm, friend who aborts, hazing and death at college, assault, and reeling into faith. Hart's polite, vivid prose present a tale rich in texture, scent, and sound of the South. A book of substance--worth reading and luxuriating in.
Wendy
This book had a little bit of everything: going off to college, marriage, abortion, rape, conversion, divorce, an eating disorder, an engagement, and a debutante ball. They didn't all happen to the main character, but each touched her life in some way. It was not what I was expecting when I picked up the book, and it doesn't have a typical "happy ending", but it ends with you thinking it's Adelaide's life is just beginning.
Nicole
I liked this book, but wish that the beginning was edited out. At first, nothing happens to Adelaide. It isn't until she gets to college that the story really begins. I would have given it more stars if it didn't include the boring beginning. That said, the plot gets better and is worth the read.
Heidi
This book took me by surprise....more complex than I thought for a random pick up book from the library. Good coming of age story based in SC and VA but as the plot unfolded, dealt with more and more complex issues. I will definitely read other books by this author.

Melanie
Aug 09, 2007 Melanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Summer Read
This book was interesting from the very beginning. A good book that deals with awakening spirituality, christianity & the violence of date rape & its lingering, life-long ramifications. I was interested from page 1 - in depth subject matter but an easy well flowing read.
Phyllis

Not what I expected when I started it, but held my attention all the way through. Left me wondering where life would take Adelaide next. Strong Christian message , but doesn't preach. Enjoyed it.
Emily
I had a hard time getting into this book, but after I forced myself to continue I really enjoyed it. An interesting coming of age story - unfortunately one that is true for many young women.
Joanna Marie
I have learned that we must appreciate what we have, seek for the luxury of life but never turn our backs into what we came from.
Deanna
I wanted to like this book, but I simply could not get into it in the first couple of chapers and never finished it.
Leigh

This book was very slow and it took me weeks to get through a few chapters. I gave up and didn't finish.
Heather
So, this book was a little contrived, on the religious side, but all in all it was a nice, quick air plane read.
I couldn't decide between 3 and 4 stars.... so I give it 3.5 stars. Fun to read if you are from SC or live in SC.
Linda Jennings
Love this book so far. Just discovered this author and have really liked both books that i have read by her.
Lisa Mcbroom
A sheltered young woman faces a terrifying loss of innocence once she goes to college.
Melanie
I seem to be hooked on Southern authors lately.
MaryAnn
Growing up sory set in the South.
Jenna Lynn
slow start, but good read.
Elaine
Sep 15, 2009 Elaine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Amy Huber
Amy Huber marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Denise Boyce
Denise Boyce marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Amy Nicholson
Amy Nicholson marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Adele Boyce
Adele Boyce marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Beth Webb Hart holds a B.A. in English Literature from Hollins College and an M.F.A. in Creative Writing from Sarah Lawrence College. Her first novel, Grace at Low Tide, was one of three finalists for the 2006 Christy Awards in the general/contemporary fiction category. She lectures on a variety of topics and has taught creative writing on the college and high school level. She serves as a writer-...more
More about Beth Webb Hart...
Moon Over Edisto The Wedding Machine Love, Charleston Grace at Low Tide Sunrise on the Battery